Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with bludgeoning your own father to death with a rusty tire iron hitting your dad
    with a car
    In fact, I encourage it.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    spool32 wrote: »
    These are incredible and I want 6 of them

http://www.sticknfind.com/

I'm going to invent a wand that you can scan yourself and your possessions to detect these.

Because these are portable stalking devices.

If you aren't Batman or Spider-Man I don't trust you with these.

They're bluetooth! They only have a 100ft range!

They are fucking awesome and I will hang one from my cat's neck and stick one to my keys and one in my wallet and yessssss

Also one in my pants. Monitor this, Caveman!

Pfft. Or you can be organized. Like, I totally know where my wallet is right now. (On the floor. In my room. Somewhere.)
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    If queer ranges were a thing I'd frequent them so fast.

I smell money

@spool32 our politics, interests, and mutual desires to drive Bentleys could come together

Can you say "franchising"?

I am so into this in a metaphorical way.

Let's do it.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Awww adorable baby.

My sister's dog would get the hiccups a lot, but he'd never do anything cute.

Just look at us very confusedly and act like we'd put a hex on him.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    spent 1300 on booze.

Feels like a good decision.

Now to have a shower and get cracking with the cooking.

I don't know how much that is in American, but my mind read it as dollars and my eyes shot open like O_O

That's why I elected not to convert it

(222 dollars american.)

I think I'll stick to my 6 pack of coolers for $10 thanks

I don't know what a cooler is.

Also I bought bourbon, vermouth, gin, vodka and cognac.

ZVPsp1q.jpg

Makes Mim get Puerto Rican girl drunk

(I get friendly and sleepy)

your land is a strange one.

It's not all of us abdhy, trust us. The only person I know who drinks those is my grandma.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Every time I look at anything involving firearms I'm reminded how batshit insane most people who care about firearms are.

I'd like to shoot guns, but then I'd probably have to interact with other people who would like to shoot guns.

I have been thinking of getting a 22 rifle for range shooting, maybe a shotgun for clay pigeons, but going to the guns subreddit made me question how far I want to get into this.

they cray

Also fuck, I'd probably spend at least the same amount of money on a secure gun cabinet as I would on the actual gun. Shit is expensive.
    These are incredible and I want 6 of them

http://www.sticknfind.com/

I'm going to invent a wand that you can scan yourself and your possessions to detect these.

Because these are portable stalking devices.

If you aren't Batman or Spider-Man I don't trust you with these.

They're bluetooth! They only have a 100ft range!

They are fucking awesome and I will hang one from my cat's neck and stick one to my keys and one in my wallet and yessssss

Also one in my pants. Monitor this, Caveman!

Pfft. Or you can be organized. Like, I totally know where my wallet is right now. (On the floor. In my room. Somewhere.)

Keeping track of objects is bullshit. Ain't nobody got time to remember where his kids keys are!
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Casual: we should stop letting people move to cities.Thanatos: anyone who lives in the sticks is hitler

Don't let these ideas touch - they'll rip the fabric of the universe!

hell no i didn't say that

i'm just saying it seems to be a pretty common problem wherever i look that schools, hospitals, transport infastructure is behind the curve of our population growth

it doesn't take a crystal ball to see what will happen if we carry on following this trend

build more shit or place a limit on how many kids people can have

pick one

But this is entirely wrong. People are having fewer kids, not more. There is no overpopulation problem.

There is no overpopulation problem. Not even worldwide. Resource distribution is borked in much of the planet, but that's not a population issue.

Trying to get Americans to have even fewer children than we do now is madness. It's national suicide.

that really seems kinda melodramatic considering that our population is increasing

US population is increasing due to immigration taking up a good chunk of the slack.

But the US tends to hover just above replacement even with the high fertility groups. And the more they move up the economic ladder they will decrease as well.

Population reference bureau has a good report on this.

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Datasheets/2012/world-population-data-sheet/fact-sheet-us-population.aspx

You guys understand that even if birth rates are stagnant it's still possible for overpopulation to be an endemic for generations, right? Population growth is a problem of critical mass, and takes exponential energies to reverse it. One of the biggest issues are world faces is when the other 4 billion citizens decide they want air conditioning and a bitchin' pick up, and jam to lynyrd skynyrd too!

And you do realize that the Malthusian doom prophecy has fallen out of favor in development, health and demography about 20 years ago?

The problem is less to do with the idea of overpopulation but more resource allocation and energy. Thus you whole air conditioning thing. How are they powered? Who builds them? Disposal and so on.

This is also something that is heavily researched. How we produce energy over the next 30 to 50 years is huge. Food and sustainability is huge. But to say the world, with its slowing growth rate which may turn negative thanks is doomed from over pop right now is both premature and not supported in the literature.
    falasig.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    I MISS MY SOFT BLACK KITTIES

This reads completely differently in my head.

(Reads... better?)
    network_sig2.png
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Geth keeps Awesome'ing my posts. I'm scared.

Geth, roll 1d100 to see the effects of my loss of sanity due to fear.

EDIT: HA! Only mild fear! Suck it Cthulhu!
    EriktheVikingGamer on
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Btw spool32 see the infrastructure economics behind Chinas on child policy. I don't wanna get into all the devaluation of girls, ad of humans in general with some of their choices, but one of the reasons China is in as good a shape as it is demographically is from it's population control, and unparalleled infrastructure expansionism they've been able to coordinate.

This subject is really complicated, and I don't have time to basically write a dissertation about it, but if you wanna talk about some f the stuff pm me.

I'm not sure if I can keep my current forum posting/reading time up, haven't be getting enough work done.

Uh, this isn't really true.

China is up a shit creek demographically. It is moving towards a top heavy pyramid of population with a huge elderly population and not enough workforce to support it. The current population is heavily male skewed and really is going to bite them in the ass in 10 years.

Birthrates are already low and decreasing. They are basically Japan 3.0 with Korea being Japan 2.0. This doesn't even count issues with pollution, water and chronic disease their under developed healthcare system is going to be dealing with.

Basically China is screwed and the one child policy and pop controls really are a big part of that.

You're arguing about the problems that've raised from the situation instead of the facts that what they did was a ridiculously robust economic engine with some short-sighted flaws; much like our carbon based engines. If you compare China's economics, even breaking it down by region, and compare into similar socio-economically able regions, their growth and infrastructure under the policy is awe inspiring.

For the reverse of this issue, and still having a drastically elder leaning generation, but a shitty economy and even worse political machine look at what Japan did at the same time, and immediately preceding the lost decade.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Woah, those stick and find things are what I've wanted so badly ever since that show on Nickelodeon with that black alien kid who was able to use his powers to find lost items.
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I MISS MY SOFT BLACK KITTIES

This reads completely differently in my head.

(Reads... better?)

Oh good it wasn't just me.
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Woah, those stick and find things are what I've wanted so badly ever since that show on Nickelodeon with that black alien kid who was able to use his powers to find lost items.

Basically everyone in the world has wanted it forever.

They're awesome! They're a tiny company too, got started via indiegogo and funded to the tune of $1,000,000.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    everything is just terrible.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    The one child policy is flawed, and is untenable long term butt was smart policy making only possible in a communist republic. It let them modernize such large swathes of China in 30 years which would've taken hundreds at any other point/place.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
    @skippydumptruck

You should go here, even if I can't join you. Don't be fooled by the URL, there's one in Austin.

http://weatherupnyc.com/

It's apparently hidden in an unmarked house and the patio is screened by bamboo so you can't really even tell it's there.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    If queer ranges were a thing I'd frequent them so fast.

I smell money

@spool32 our politics, interests, and mutual desires to drive Bentleys could come together

Can you say "franchising"?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/magazine/25funnyhumor.t.html?_r=0

Patton Oswalt article about how someone needs to open up a combination gun range and yoga studio, although it's not really for the reasons above.
    The one child policy is flawed, and is untenable long term butt was smart policy making only possible in a communist republic. It let them modernize such large swathes of China in 30 years which would've taken hundreds at any other point/place.

I would love to see a source stating that the One Child Policy was at all a part of China's rapid economic growth.
    network_sig2.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Maybe I should adopt an adult cat from a shelter :C

The one child policy is a shocking imposition on freedom only possible in a brutal regime that disappears dissidents, massacres its own citizens with tanks and machine guns, and oppresses the holy shit out of its media and population in ways rivaled only by Cuba and North Korea.

You need to swap the rose colored glasses for clear ones bro. Their policy is a human rights violation like few in the world. Most of the bigger ones, it's no surprise, also happened in China.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I get a feeling that China would have been better served by building a better safety net for retirees than in implementing one child

In any country where the elderly are primarily reliant on their children for support, there is a huge incentive to have lots of kids

Edit: also eradicating poverty and such
    override367 on
    omg tomorrow is a work from home day and monday is completely off

*plays video gaem*
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

Your previous assessment of "there are already too many cats in the apartment" was correct, stop this at once.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »

I would love to see a source stating that the One Child Policy was at all a part of China's rapid economic growth.

I believe it's from a study done by the Totally Trust Us Institute at the Peking University.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    I played an hour of metro last light last night

The game is beautiful. The gameplay is decent.

God damn I hate dank post-apocalyptic bullshit and, sorry to say, I really fucking hate russian accents (on men. Sorry fellas, LIFE AINT FAIR) and I hate russian culture.
    And they present killing not/killing nazis as some kind of moral choice...

ok wat

no knife to the neck. Every time. Oh, the nazi surrendered? KNIFE TO THE NECK
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    everything is just terrible.

Lately things have been getting better for me actually.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    We wouldn't need to build more infrastructure if we stopped immigration to stabilize the population.

Just saying!

Immigrants who are taking jobs that what is now a essentially service based economy doesn't want to fill but are part of the backbone of our infrastructure? Down a destructive path this idea leads. Though you could be /sarcasm'ing, in which case my bad. And the problem isn't necessarily population size overall as much as it is population density for those lurkers who are reading.

I'm /sarcasming

A good friend of mine was just denied a visa, actually. :(

That sucks. How long until your friend can attempt to re-apply?

No idea. She's been having trouble finding a job, is the issue. She doesn't have any special computer skills or anything, she has a (foreign) law degree and a business degree. No one wants to hire someone without a visa if they don't have to. But you don't get a visa without a job. She's in a Catch-22 until and unless she gets very lucky with job applications.

She wants to end up in Alabama, she has some kind of absurd interest in the Deep South, so perhaps getting kicked back to New Zealand is best for her.
    I love* how you can find a bunch of ladies' guns in the ladies' guns section where the two biggest things are that they are almost all extremely small caliber or are pink.

I know that's like... the tiniest thing every that could possibly upset someone's inner feminist, but. God damn it, why can't ladies use regular guns. Not actually alien creatures who feed off of light with pink hues. Noo, it has to be marked.

*hate
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Btw spool32 see the infrastructure economics behind Chinas on child policy. I don't wanna get into all the devaluation of girls, ad of humans in general with some of their choices, but one of the reasons China is in as good a shape as it is demographically is from it's population control, and unparalleled infrastructure expansionism they've been able to coordinate.

This subject is really complicated, and I don't have time to basically write a dissertation about it, but if you wanna talk about some f the stuff pm me.

I'm not sure if I can keep my current forum posting/reading time up, haven't be getting enough work done.

Uh, this isn't really true.

China is up a shit creek demographically. It is moving towards a top heavy pyramid of population with a huge elderly population and not enough workforce to support it. The current population is heavily male skewed and really is going to bite them in the ass in 10 years.

Birthrates are already low and decreasing. They are basically Japan 3.0 with Korea being Japan 2.0. This doesn't even count issues with pollution, water and chronic disease their under developed healthcare system is going to be dealing with.

Basically China is screwed and the one child policy and pop controls really are a big part of that.

You're arguing about the problems that've raised from the situation instead of the facts that what they did was a ridiculously robust economic engine with some short-sighted flaws; much like our carbon based engines. If you compare China's economics, even breaking it down by region, and compare into similar socio-economically able regions, their growth and infrastructure under the policy is awe inspiring.

For the reverse of this issue, and still having a drastically elder leaning generation, but a shitty economy and even worse political machine look at what Japan did at the same time, and immediately preceding the lost decade.

Or what Korea is doing right now. FP had a good article on this a bit ago and so did the Economist.

First China's political machine is as bad or worse than the Japanese in the early 1990's. Any belief otherwise is drinking China's kool aid. They have issues with corruption that match or beat Russia depending on province.

The robust economic growth is not because of the one child policy it is because they had a vast production ability that had been completely dismantled under Mao and was rebuilt under Deng and not without huge cost. The rapid inflation in the 1980's almost lead to a collapse of the Chinese government. See Tianmen and it economic underpinnings and read up on Guangxi or listen to Ronya and I discuss Singapore verse Taiwan and China.

Their growth compared to their other neighbors who have had similar governments like Taiwan and SK till the mid 1990's is not awe inspiring or Japan in at the turn of the 20th century. It in fact matches a very similar pattern.

China on the surface is great. Once you get deeper into it is a broken political system and an economic growth that is unsustainable and that is worse than reported and produced incredible amounts of inequality between groups. See their GINI index for the last year.

I am sorry but your statements feel as someone who has read literature or dug deeply into China and has read most of the government statements which you can take as half truths on good days.
    falasig.png

Your previous assessment of "there are already too many cats in the apartment" was correct, stop this at once.

*surrounded by a frothing mass of one hundred cats, throwing suspicious cuts of meat by the handful*
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    I love* how you can find a bunch of ladies' guns in the ladies' guns section where the two biggest things are that they are almost all extremely small caliber or are pink.

I know that's like... the tiniest thing every that could possibly upset someone's inner feminist, but. God damn it, why can't ladies use regular guns. Not actually alien creatures who feed off of light with pink hues. Noo, it has to be marked.

*hate

Brb manufacturing a laser sight that beams a tiny Hello Kitty face on your target and selling it to these stores
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    I will not be satisfied until Cass becomes a crazy cat lady. Hurling them at all passerbys
    Death by Pinkie Pie.

*surrounded by a frothing mass of one hundred cats, throwing suspicious cuts of meat by the handful*

No, Aaron and Pony!

*hate

Brb manufacturing a laser sight that beams a tiny Hello Kitty face on your target and selling it to these stores

I... would actually buy something like that. :/

*hate

Ok uh

I do not object to that

Because it is awesome.

We had an unaltered tom as our first cat. Basically starting the day he discovered microwaved chicken strips, he immediately became a 20 lb. uber-cat who terrorized the neighborhood. Like initially he would go out every night and come back in the morning thoroughly bloodied up, but over time as he got bigger and more absurdly muscular, he pretty much never got bloodied. We also slowly heard fewer and fewer cat fights at night.

He was pretty much Cat Hitler, is what I'm trying to say. I'm now trying to get these new kitties on a diet of lean protein.
    network_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.