Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    The one child policy is flawed, and is untenable long term butt was smart policy making only possible in a communist republic. It let them modernize such large swathes of China in 30 years which would've taken hundreds at any other point/place.

The one child policy is a shocking imposition on freedom only possible in a brutal regime that disappears dissidents, massacres its own citizens with tanks and machine guns, and oppresses the holy shit out of its media and population in ways rivaled only by Cuba and North Korea.

You need to swap the rose colored glasses for clear ones bro. Their policy is a human rights violation like few in the world. Most of the bigger ones, it's no surprise, also happened in China.

? Spool? What was the point of this post? :rotate:
    I'm not saying the one child policy is good policy, I'm just saying it worked well for China anecdotally. o_O I also don't think we should emulate our union laws on Chinas in case you were worried about that. ;)

"Worked" in the sense that it got a "good" result at a shocking, awful expense in human life!

This is not far from the greens who thought Norman Borlaug's solution to India's population problem was horrible and people should have been left to die in the millions instead.

Well sure if half your population dies of starvation then you won't have a population issue. But that's an extremely flexible definition of "solving" a problem.

Wait,you didn't like Germany and the ottomans plans for the Armenians in WW1? ;)

Like, China went from being a cesspool economically to being a global leader, with other nations projected to do better than it drastically. Brazil/Argentina, etc. I study a lot of "bubbled" governments aid feel they're great sources into insights into the madness of crowds (Tulipomania).

I also find it interesting to figure out how much of an effect WW1 had on Argentina first world development, but I'm a nerd.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Casual: we should stop letting people move to cities.Thanatos: anyone who lives in the sticks is hitler

Don't let these ideas touch - they'll rip the fabric of the universe!

hell no i didn't say that

i'm just saying it seems to be a pretty common problem wherever i look that schools, hospitals, transport infastructure is behind the curve of our population growth

it doesn't take a crystal ball to see what will happen if we carry on following this trend

build more shit or place a limit on how many kids people can have

pick one

But this is entirely wrong. People are having fewer kids, not more. There is no overpopulation problem.

There is no overpopulation problem. Not even worldwide. Resource distribution is borked in much of the planet, but that's not a population issue.

Trying to get Americans to have even fewer children than we do now is madness. It's national suicide.

that really seems kinda melodramatic considering that our population is increasing

US population is increasing due to immigration taking up a good chunk of the slack.

But the US tends to hover just above replacement even with the high fertility groups. And the more they move up the economic ladder they will decrease as well.

Population reference bureau has a good report on this.

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Datasheets/2012/world-population-data-sheet/fact-sheet-us-population.aspx

You guys understand that even if birth rates are stagnant it's still possible for overpopulation to be an endemic for generations, right? Population growth is a problem of critical mass, and takes exponential energies to reverse it. One of the biggest issues are world faces is when the other 4 billion citizens decide they want air conditioning and a bitchin' pick up, and jam to lynyrd skynyrd too!

And you do realize that the Malthusian doom prophecy has fallen out of favor in development, health and demography about 20 years ago?

The problem is less to do with the idea of overpopulation but more resource allocation and energy. Thus you whole air conditioning thing. How are they powered? Who builds them? Disposal and so on.

This is also something that is heavily researched. How we produce energy over the next 30 to 50 years is huge. Food and sustainability is huge. But to say the world, with its slowing growth rate which may turn negative thanks is doomed from over pop right now is both premature and not supported in the literature.

Which literature? Which regions? Yes, I am speaking about policy historically because that is the only policy that we can review and analyze currently, unless you have some crystal ball I'm unaware of. Iteration simulators notwithstanding.

To say China did not have a net gain economically from the one child policy is disingenuous. Much like it is to say that what Japan did in the 1980s is about the worst textbook example of stagflation since the term was coined. There are obvious correlations between these two policy directions, and to think they were mistakes with no redeeming merit is doing to repeat their mistakes.

Now, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking me to cite/what you cited that refutes anything I've said, other than, "you're wrong because I said so, and there's literature that says so." So ill leave it at that.

Ahh, I think you are missing a few things here.

First Japan also had a one child program just through social engineering starting after the baby boom after the 1960's really getting big in the 1970's. This is part of why Japanese birth rates fell below replacement, goal of the one child policy.

In general Asia has a looming demographic crisis be it India, China, Taiwan or Korea with Japan in the throws of it. The top heavy population pyramid is death most economies since they are built on a large working age population to support the older generation.

Japan's stagflation, which really hits in the late 1980's early 1990's not the majority of the 1980's is a fall out from population pressures, poor government planning and a banking crisis not unlike 2008. This lead to a collapse of liquidity with the creation of zombie banks and the loss of low level manufacturing to China.

Here one paper looking at the cost of this policy. There have been a good amount.
    Because of the policy, China faces more serious
    social and economic consequences than do other
    nations experiencing rapid fertility decline. In addition to the common problem of rapid population
    aging, China’s problems include a number of social
    consequences not seen elsewhere: a lopsided sex ratio
    in infants and young children, increased female infant and child mortality rates, and the collapse of
    the government birth reporting system

http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/handle/10125/3796/api077.pdf?sequence=1

China's one child policy may have been useful in a very short term but is much more costly than its gains in the long term. Where social engineering of lower birthrates and allowing countries to naturally progress over demographic transition allows for more long term planning and stabilization of the problems low birth rates and lopsided aged populations produce.
    falasig.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Sitting around waiting for stuff to dry is incredibly boring.

I always go do something else whenever waiting for something slow and boring.

Then four hours later I'm like "SHIT that was done FOREVER ago"
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Actually, looking back on the photos I snapped of that day in Dubai... I think I was overcorrecting my aim to account for recoil.
    36306_4783572472128_732009174_n.jpg
    643890_4783571912114_1024967866_n.jpg
    69097_4783572872138_982625440_n.jpg

Were you pistol shooting?

Yeah. I wanna say it was Berettas ...? They were surprisingly heavy. Lot more kick than I expected, too.

Left or right handed?

Right. Like I was trying to hold squeeze it tight with both hands, while keeping my elbows just slightly bent and my arms flexed (for ~*~The Ladies~*~). The first few rounds were still a lotta kick. I feel like I lost tightness when pulling the trigger, which probably didn't help.
    network_sig2.png
    Speaking of guns...
    http://youtu.be/KiVYIrlxCI4
    network_sig2.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    I never doubted my brother and I had the same father—until I saw the size of his genitals.

This is the tagline for a Dear Prudence article O_O
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    A friend told me about a game called Candy Box

Apparently it's a game about waiting?
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Sitting around waiting for stuff to dry is incredibly boring.

I always go do something else whenever waiting for something slow and boring.

Then four hours later I'm like "SHIT that was done FOREVER ago"

This is my game plan re: cooking

Guys I am looking for awesome 'trailer music'

Can you help me
    A friend told me about a game called Candy Box

Apparently it's a game about waiting?

For obesity?
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    i dont own a gun but my penis can be considered an assault weapon
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Hmm. Didn't get the job. Oh well.

: (

im sure you'll find something!
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    dammit drafts

whatever, it stays. yolo.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    i dont own a gun but my penis can be considered an assault weapon

The real reason I don't fly anymore.
  • GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular

Can you help me

You mean like epic type orchestral or something else?
    t7zsk1.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    @IcyLiquid why was I singled out about the search!

Can you help me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfd9krEsr-k
    network_sig2.png
    Sarksus wrote: »
    @IcyLiquid why was I singled out about the search!

Oh you know why.
    network_sig2.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Actually, looking back on the photos I snapped of that day in Dubai... I think I was overcorrecting my aim to account for recoil.

Yeah. I wanna say it was Berettas ...? They were surprisingly heavy. Lot more kick than I expected, too.

Left or right handed?

Right. Like I was trying to hold squeeze it tight with both hands, while keeping my elbows just slightly bent and my arms flexed (for ~*~The Ladies~*~). The first few rounds were still a lotta kick. I feel like I lost tightness when pulling the trigger, which probably didn't help.

Your issue is that you were tightening your grip and slapping the trigger when you were shooting. It causes the grip to rise up in your hand which causes the barrel to rotate downward. I'm guessing the ones high and to the right were your first few shots because that's generally flinching before recoil.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular

Can you help me

What type of trailer?
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    What do you have against Mexican Monkeys Ham?
    .....I and a friend totally thought that was what they were saying
    3FMmC.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

Left or right handed?

Your issue is that you were tightening your grip and slapping the trigger when you were shooting. It causes the grip to rise up in your hand which causes the barrel to rotate downward. I'm guessing the ones high and to the right were your first few shots because that's generally flinching before recoil.

It was kinda difficult to maintain the tightness of my grip while slowly pulling the (kinda tight) trigger. The jerk of the shot would also ruin my tightness. I was waiting like ~2-3 seconds between shots.

My friend next to me -- the sheet on the top -- literally just tried to machine-gun it. Emptied a 10-round clip in like 4 seconds.
    network_sig2.png
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I mean, you could always just use ye' ole Lux Aeterna, but it doesn't really fit with everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKLpJtvzlEI
    Cinders on
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    That is either a very cool job or a terrible job.

obama162way_wide-e38d079e96e21fd38379dfd9771cbf8cffc149aa-s40.jpg
    network_sig2.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I never doubted my brother and I had the same father—until I saw the size of his genitals.

This is the tagline for a Dear Prudence article O_O

He had ignored the earlier signs, his brothers affinity for basketball and taste for watermelon and fried chicken.
    I am also annoyed at the way the gun market is so distorted right after panics. And how long that can last.

This post brought to you by "Shiv has wanted a CZ-75 for over a year but has not seen one for sale in that time frame and they're sold out everywhere online."

Why does the universe not bend itself to my will?!
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Ringo? Is that you?
    Gonmun wrote: »

Can you help me

These are what I'm listening to now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGHI4TAC5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D4QIf4Ot7o
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

Can you help me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75TW-0UUPgA
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

Left or right handed?

It was kinda difficult to maintain the tightness of my grip while slowly pulling the (kinda tight) trigger. The jerk of the shot would also ruin my tightness. I was waiting like ~2-3 seconds between shots.

My friend next to me -- the sheet on the top -- literally just tried to machine-gun it. Emptied a 10-round clip in like 4 seconds.

I thought the first one you posted was yours?
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Casual wrote: »
    Casual: we should stop letting people move to cities.Thanatos: anyone who lives in the sticks is hitler

Don't let these ideas touch - they'll rip the fabric of the universe!

hell no i didn't say that

i'm just saying it seems to be a pretty common problem wherever i look that schools, hospitals, transport infastructure is behind the curve of our population growth

it doesn't take a crystal ball to see what will happen if we carry on following this trend

build more shit or place a limit on how many kids people can have

pick one

But this is entirely wrong. People are having fewer kids, not more. There is no overpopulation problem.

There is no overpopulation problem. Not even worldwide. Resource distribution is borked in much of the planet, but that's not a population issue.

Trying to get Americans to have even fewer children than we do now is madness. It's national suicide.

that really seems kinda melodramatic considering that our population is increasing

US population is increasing due to immigration taking up a good chunk of the slack.

But the US tends to hover just above replacement even with the high fertility groups. And the more they move up the economic ladder they will decrease as well.

Population reference bureau has a good report on this.

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Datasheets/2012/world-population-data-sheet/fact-sheet-us-population.aspx

You guys understand that even if birth rates are stagnant it's still possible for overpopulation to be an endemic for generations, right? Population growth is a problem of critical mass, and takes exponential energies to reverse it. One of the biggest issues are world faces is when the other 4 billion citizens decide they want air conditioning and a bitchin' pick up, and jam to lynyrd skynyrd too!

And you do realize that the Malthusian doom prophecy has fallen out of favor in development, health and demography about 20 years ago?

The problem is less to do with the idea of overpopulation but more resource allocation and energy. Thus you whole air conditioning thing. How are they powered? Who builds them? Disposal and so on.

This is also something that is heavily researched. How we produce energy over the next 30 to 50 years is huge. Food and sustainability is huge. But to say the world, with its slowing growth rate which may turn negative thanks is doomed from over pop right now is both premature and not supported in the literature.

Which literature? Which regions? Yes, I am speaking about policy historically because that is the only policy that we can review and analyze currently, unless you have some crystal ball I'm unaware of. Iteration simulators notwithstanding.

To say China did not have a net gain economically from the one child policy is disingenuous. Much like it is to say that what Japan did in the 1980s is about the worst textbook example of stagflation since the term was coined. There are obvious correlations between these two policy directions, and to think they were mistakes with no redeeming merit is doing to repeat their mistakes.

Now, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking me to cite/what you cited that refutes anything I've said, other than, "you're wrong because I said so, and there's literature that says so." So ill leave it at that.

Ahh, I think you are missing a few things here.

First Japan also had a one child program just through social engineering starting after the baby boom after the 1960's really getting big in the 1970's. This is part of why Japanese birth rates fell below replacement, goal of the one child policy.

In general Asia has a looming demographic crisis be it India, China, Taiwan or Korea with Japan in the throws of it. The top heavy population pyramid is death most economies since they are built on a large working age population to support the older generation.

Japan's stagflation, which really hits in the late 1980's early 1990's not the majority of the 1980's is a fall out from population pressures, poor government planning and a banking crisis not unlike 2008. This lead to a collapse of liquidity with the creation of zombie banks and the loss of low level manufacturing to China.

Here one paper looking at the cost of this policy. There have been a good amount.
    Because of the policy, China faces more serious
    social and economic consequences than do other
    nations experiencing rapid fertility decline. In addition to the common problem of rapid population
    aging, China’s problems include a number of social
    consequences not seen elsewhere: a lopsided sex ratio
    in infants and young children, increased female infant and child mortality rates, and the collapse of
    the government birth reporting system

http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/handle/10125/3796/api077.pdf?sequence=1

China's one child policy may have been useful in a very short term but is much more costly than its gains in the long term. Where social engineering of lower birthrates and allowing countries to naturally progress over demographic transition allows for more long term planning and stabilization of the problems low birth rates and lopsided aged populations produce.

Interesting stuff, I've read a lot about it because I wrote a paper on White Monday a long time ago, so well have to talk about the intricacies of Japan's pseudo one child at a later date. I still don't really understand what you're trying to prove me wrong about so vehemently, as I don't think one child is a viable government policy, especially in a democracy. My point was simply that by economic indicators and Nixon just saying "F U" to Japan in 1972, China benefited from the totalitarian control they had, and were able to enforce the one child policy (while using it as a source of taxation on their elite) and it was through these effective and accurate census projection/informations that they were able to ramp up their infrastructure and city planning.
    Look at the number of new Million+ population cities in China in 1950, then 1970, then 1980 and 90. Then look at whats occured to their vacant cities now. China has lost a big part of it's edge globally; my point was that one child was a fortuitously timed policy for them, and is worth study.
    MadCaddy on
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy

Since they took the prostitues away I'm guessing the latter.

Left or right handed?

I thought the first one you posted was yours?

Yeah, the first one is. I was referring to the top one in the one with 3 of ours next to each other.

Sorry, shoulda specified. I was the one who got 88.
    network_sig2.png
    fuck mirror lists
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

At least one of them seems pretty disappointed about it too. :rotate:
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

Can you help me

These are what I'm listening to now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGHI4TAC5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D4QIf4Ot7o

Yeah, I was going to suggest either Two Steps from Hell or Soundmachine if you wanted trailer music. :^:
    t7zsk1.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    srsly tho, this one shows up everywhere and the mass effect soundtrack was probably cribbed from it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXVzg2PiZw

Maybe they just took away the guy on the right's standard issue bedwarmer.
    network_sig2.png
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I am also annoyed at the way the gun market is so distorted right after panics. And how long that can last.

This post brought to you by "Shiv has wanted a CZ-75 for over a year but has not seen one for sale in that time frame and they're sold out everywhere online."

Why does the universe not bend itself to my will?!

Why do you want that specific handgun
This discussion has been closed.