Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Total anal-retentive nitpicky nonsense but we're United Statesians damnit. There's more than one America. :P

people say this all the time but we actually have the word America in our name

Canada and Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, etc do not
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    one of my experiments is kind of cool though

we are adding topical hormones to beetles to see if they will grow bigger horns

if you know what I mean
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I say it with a slight tee-ers

That's actually a valid way to pronounce tears as well.

"tee-ars"
    vspgsp.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    what if it was "trail of tiers" and we have been getting it wrong all this time

then you still deserve to be ashamed if you're so bad at speaking that tiers and tears are homophones to you!

I

what

in what accent are they not?

"teers"
    "tares"

okay yes, this explained it better
    xlh6c3.png
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    the point is, "they were slaughtering each other" is a remarkably poor predictor of "they will continue slaughtering each other"

yeah, I mean, even europe is peaceful now.

which was a crazy concept for most of history.

it's odd to reflect that germany unified and went hard nationalist (to say the least) just two centuries after having germany lose a third of its population to internal protestant-catholic war

"just" three centuries?

I think economists are actually antediluvian vampires or something
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Total anal-retentive nitpicky nonsense but we're United Statesians damnit. There's more than one America. :P

so racist

ban Jacob
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    the point is, "they were slaughtering each other" is a remarkably poor predictor of "they will continue slaughtering each other"

Such a buzzkill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_-KoBiBG0

Really, Europe? Ode to Joy?

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Why not a cheerful hymn about the valiant negotiations of the common market with a particularly distasteful and amazing line at Mizuz Thatcher's expense?
    Lh96QHG.png
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

it's odd to reflect that germany unified and went hard nationalist (to say the least) just two centuries after having germany lose a third of its population to internal protestant-catholic war

"just" three centuries?

wars of religion only ended mid-1600s

german nationalist awakening was mid-1800s, and the old conflict remanifested as the german question. but this didn't prevent german unification.
    although the tonality is still a little different.

yes shut up I know english isn't a tonal language.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Red dwarf is on Netflix but its the edited version :p

What, really? Edited? How so?

They cut scenes down, probably for time reasons?

The old episodesi tapped off PBS back in the day contain footage no longer shown on the "new" version.

(Also the oldschool special effects were replaced :( )
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Tiers and tears are pronounced identically unless you're talking about ripping things

Both have a diphthong that sounds like ee-uh

"just" three centuries?

german nationalist awakening was mid-1800s, and the old conflict remanifested as the german question. but this didn't prevent german unification.

my point was, it's a long time
    xlh6c3.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    one of the perks of being the king in the olden days is getting to fuck pretty much whoever you want

so that plus time means that most of us are descended from a king
    Look at it this way:

A king's descendents are more likely to survive and leave offspring than average because of prosperity.
    Around the time of Charlemagne, Europe's population was ~25-30 million.
    Charlemagne lived ~1200 years ago. Call a generation 30 years and you get roughly 40 generation back (He happens to be my 36th, 37th, 39th and 40th great grandfather IIRC so that seems reasonably close)
    2^40 - or how many 40th great grandparents you have =1,099,511,627,776 which is not only more than the population of Europe (if you are exclusively of European ancestry or nearly so) but more than every human who has ever lived. And your ancestors also came exclusively from those who had children.

So not only are you almost certainly a descendent of Charlemagne if you're Western European by heritage, you're almost certainly descended from him multiple times, as well as everyone else who was alive back then and managed to leave descendents.

Ramesses II lived about 2x as long ago and personally had over 100 children. He got a hell of a lot of DNA spread round.

Although there are not records on the number of their children like for Ramesses, you can go back another 1000 years and someone like Sargon of Akkad is probably even more widely spread.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson

Tiers and tears are pronounced identically unless you're talking about ripping things

that's not really a diphtong I think but anyway no they're a little different okay?

just trust me

even though this is not my language
    xlh6c3.png
    diphthong that sounds like ee-uh

:winky:
    vspgsp.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I thought the European Anthem was by Lordi

I thought that was what it was all about
    In fact any English word with an "ee" sound before an R forms a diphthong

Because R cannot be pronounced without a preceding vowel sound
    I've sampled everything I bought at the wine monopoly today.

So I'm a little tipsy.

Also, I'm off to bring the food over to the place so that I only have tie tying to worry about tomorrow.
    xlh6c3.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    what if it was "trail of tiers" and we have been getting it wrong all this time

then you still deserve to be ashamed if you're so bad at speaking that tiers and tears are homophones to you!

I

what

in what accent are they not?

"teers"
    "tares"

first you weigh the trail

then you press a button so that when all the native americans get on it you know how much they weigh sans trail
  • TheNomadicCircleTheNomadicCircle Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I remember a large contingent of Kazakh kids I knew who were really upset about having "Genghis Khan's blood."

Of course they would. The Kazakhs never historically supported Chinggis Khan.

and the english today are the descendent of tribes who raped and murdered their way onto the british isles, but you don't see them moaning about it today

Identity is a large part of why none of the Central Asian states will work together. Turkmen have no problem being called Chinggis Khan's supporters or descendants because soon after the Mongol empire began crumbling it became normal to assume that any of his descendants were rightful to a support, an entirely non-existant, throne. Temur-e-lang play a large aspect of propping up his descendants.

They should probably get over all that and join the rest of us in the 21st century.

We're all descended from assholes. Let's try doing good things now.

I don't think anyone would like to join any of the former colonial nations with doing anything. Colonialism and neo-Colonialism is still fresh in people's mind.

South America and East Asia would seem to disagree with you there, buddy ;)

China would disagree and similarly would Viet Nam, North Korea and other nations.
    edited May 2013

"ee" is a vowel sound

also sorry, I need to vent this: IT'S A FUCKING I SOUND FUCK YOUR STUPID FUCKING LANGUAGE alright I'm okay.

EDIT: Also, no, it totally can. Hafrsfjord, for example.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular

Canada was cooler when it used to be called British North America, right next to Used to be British North America
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!

that's not really a diphtong I think but anyway no they're a little different okay?

just trust me

It's a unitary diphthong
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I don't think it's odd at all. Unification under a nationalist / nativisit / racist banner followed by rapid and successful expansionism is pretty common. The German states get kicked down by Napoleon and boom they're back with a vengeance. Same thing happened at the beginning of New Kingdom Egypt with the rulers of Thebes expelling the Rulers of Foreign Lands (Hyksos in greek) and then going on to conquer much of the middle east.

Or the empire of the Hittites put together by Supiluilimas (who I think needs to be in the top 5 conquerors / statements of all time list) after they got beat down hard by Mari and the Kaska tribes during his fathers time.
    RiemannLives on
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    I wish I knew more about my ancestry. I know I'm a beautiful melting pot of many glorious European countries.

Being American is dumb.

Nothing dumb about being a beautiful melting pot!

also america isn't much older than church records being a thing so you might be able to track your lineage to some degree

I know for a fact my great-great-grandmother came over from Germany, and another one from England, and someone else from France I think. I think that might have been only as of last century. I am not old American money. We all pretty new here.

Yeah, as far as I know all my family came over from Germany and Poland between 1880-1910.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    I keep thinking pyongyang should be turned into a dictator themed theme park for westerners, the north koreans could make a fortune
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    I wonder if garmin and other nav makers are imploding with the proliferation of smart phones

also car-based nav systems are universally terrible right?

my mom often mentions how she can't wait to buy a GPS one day. I try to tell her that her dreams are about ten years out-dated and that buying a better cell phone is the logical choice. Then she says but the battery will drain.

Then I point out car chargers.

and she says yes but I want a GPS.

GPS is still useful for commercial driving, because phone apps don't differentiate between truck routes and roads that suck. Mine routes by height and weight restrictions as well.

For phone apps, I'd go with Waze; it's the best map app I've dealt with.
    sig-2699.jpg Iosif is friend. Come, visit friend.

just trust me

It's a unitary diphthong

so's your mum
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

"just" three centuries?

Are you calling the 30 Years War an internal conflict?
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

"just" three centuries?

my point was, it's a long time

well, compared to what

the conventional understandings of historic nationalist claims typically presume a TNC-ish antiquity
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Aaaarrrrrggghhhhhh

just trust me

It's a unitary diphthong

it doesn't feel like a proper diphtong to me. the english "a" and "i" are things I think of as proper diphtongs.

(which you would write "ei" and "ai" if you had any sense)
    xlh6c3.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    oh god I just had a user that isn't technologically savvy try to explain to me why he thinks having multiple processes running in windows is a bad thing
    Arch wrote: »

just trust me

It's a unitary diphthong

so's your mum

My mom is as pure as a monophthong
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    the trail of tours, where each native american was given a little headset to explain the wonders they were seeing as they trudged along

keep up, stay together, that's good
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

Canada was cooler when it used to be called British North America, right next to Used to be British North America

I didn't land on British Columbia

British Columbia landed on me

"ee" is a vowel sound

also sorry, I need to vent this: IT'S A FUCKING I SOUND FUCK YOUR STUPID FUCKING LANGUAGE alright I'm okay.

EDIT: Also, no, it totally can. Hafrsfjord, for example.

It's true.

English has the most absurd grasp of vowels. Half the time they have no relationship to the sound they make.

But, to be fair, your language just omits them entirely from long stretches of words.
    vspgsp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.