Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    overpopulation is a matter of density, not overall population

we're having fewer kids, but we're also moving away from shitholes

Overpopulation is very real, and one if the reasons I have my libertarians leanings. I prefer to let Darwinism sort it out than government.

this seems like the absolute worst way to solve the problem

people don't passively starve to death

They do passively OD on heroin; making sure they have means to eat is a different conversation, and the reason overpopulation is such a concern.

Especially when you add the people who are pro-life, anti-genetically modified/organic only crops. I'm not talking labeling, but people who feel allowing indignant farmers access to more stout/less work intensive crops is improper because of nature.

Darwinism only works at "sorting things out" if these people die before they have children, or if their children die

This usually never happens, ergo social darwinism is stupid
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Red dwarf is on Netflix but its the edited version :p

What, really? Edited? How so?
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I wish I knew more about my ancestry. I know I'm a beautiful melting pot of many glorious European countries.

Being American is dumb.

plus no fig orchards!
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    what is a bug

baby dont hurt me
    don't hurt me
    no more.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I wish I knew more about my ancestry. I know I'm a beautiful melting pot of many glorious European countries.

Being American is dumb.

Nothing dumb about being a beautiful melting pot!

also america isn't much older than church records being a thing so you might be able to track your lineage to some degree
    xlh6c3.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

has some deleted scenes that honestly don't make the show any better. Some of the excellent model work is replaced with CGI.

Still well worth watching though.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    TL DR wrote: »
    SEE IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE 'A WEED' JUST MEANS 'A PLANT THAT IS A NUISANCE'

'BUG' IS A SIMILARLY UNSCIENTIFIC TERM

HO HO LAYMAN

Bug actually has a scientific definition.
    xlh6c3.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    what if it was "trail of tiers" and we have been getting it wrong all this time

then you still deserve to be ashamed if you're so bad at speaking that tiers and tears are homophones to you!

I

what

in what accent are they not?
    vspgsp.jpg

HO HO LAYMAN

and a not one
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    the point is, "they were slaughtering each other" is a remarkably poor predictor of "they will continue slaughtering each other"

Such a buzzkill
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    I have so many experiments to run today and I really dont want to do any of them and I will be here all night and ahhhh

grad school
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    8 percent of everyone living in the former mongol empire are directly descended from genghis khan.

Given the exponential nature of ancestry over time (ancestral generation n has 2^n members, including duplicates), pretty much everyone living in the former Mongol Empire are directly descended from Genghis Khan. You're talking specifically about patrilineal descent, although even that isn't exclusive to Genghis Khan (he wasn't the only Mongol with that Y-chromosome).

I don't think enough time has passed for that. You could make an argument that, for example, any person alive today is descended from Ramses II (or just about any other person at all alive that long ago who had surviving children and grandchildren) but Genghis Khan is only 800ish years ago.

I'm just working from memory, so I might very well be misremembering the numbers, but I read a while back that 1200 AD is right around the time when you get universal regional descent. Go back a few more centuries and you get global (although I think "global" in this case means Afro-Eurasia).

Being American is dumb.

also america isn't much older than church records being a thing so you might be able to track your lineage to some degree

You can get pretty accurate at it.

My dad is big into it, and he's found branches that go back to the 12th or 13th centuries.
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So Nigel Farage was trapped in a pub in Edinburgh today by protesters.

God I love the Scots sometime. I wish I could hug them all

farage-1-522x293.jpg

Maybe you could give them their

FFFFFFFFRRRRRREEEEEEEDDDDDDDOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm!
    just keep those government aid monies coming thanks!
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    the point is, "they were slaughtering each other" is a remarkably poor predictor of "they will continue slaughtering each other"

yeah, I mean, even europe is peaceful now.

which was a crazy concept for most of history.
    xlh6c3.png
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular

HO HO LAYMAN

Well I'll be
    eokNV.jpg
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

Well eventually they'll run out of people to slaughter.

Time is not on the side of the Professional Slaughterer. Truly a noble -- if antiquated -- line of work.
    network_sig2.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

then you still deserve to be ashamed if you're so bad at speaking that tiers and tears are homophones to you!

I

what

You're saying tear like crying
    he's saying tear like ripping.

This is p funny.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

has some deleted scenes that honestly don't make the show any better. Some of the excellent model work is replaced with CGI.

I'm watching it on Netflix UK right now. You stalkers
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

Such a buzzkill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_-KoBiBG0
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

Being American is dumb.

I know for a fact my great-great-grandmother came over from Germany, and another one from England, and someone else from France I think. I think that might have been only as of last century. I am not old American money. We all pretty new here.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Total anal-retentive nitpicky nonsense but we're United Statesians damnit. There's more than one America. :P
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular

I

what

"teers"
    "tares"
    eokNV.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod

Oh, hm, that doesn't sound too bad, then.
    Total anal-retentive nitpicky nonsense but we're United Statesians damnit. There's more than one America. :P

No there isnt
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    spool32 wrote: »

I

what

You're saying tear like crying
    he's saying tear like ripping.

This is p funny.

Well it wasn't called the "trail of tears" because they were ripping things.
    Winky on
    vspgsp.jpg

I

what

well, mine
    xlh6c3.png
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    one of the perks of being the king in the olden days is getting to fuck pretty much whoever you want

so that plus time means that most of us are descended from a king
    Look at it this way:

A king's descendents are more likely to survive and leave offspring than average because of prosperity.
    Around the time of Charlemagne, Europe's population was ~25-30 million.
    Charlemagne lived ~1200 years ago. Call a generation 30 years and you get roughly 40 generation back (He happens to be my 36th, 37th, 39th and 40th great grandfather IIRC so that seems reasonably close)
    2^40 - or how many 40th great grandparents you have =1,099,511,627,776 which is not only more than the population of Europe (if you are exclusively of European ancestry or nearly so) but more than every human who has ever lived. And your ancestors also came exclusively from those who had children.

So not only are you almost certainly a descendent of Charlemagne if you're Western European by heritage, you're almost certainly descended from him multiple times, as well as everyone else who was alive back then and managed to leave descendents.

You can do the same thing with more recent monarchs but its less blatant. There were roughly 250 million people in the world in 1000, Henry I of England would be ~30 gens back so 1 billion ancestors at that level.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I wonder if garmin and other nav makers are imploding with the proliferation of smart phones

also car-based nav systems are universally terrible right?

my mom often mentions how she can't wait to buy a GPS one day. I try to tell her that her dreams are about ten years out-dated and that buying a better cell phone is the logical choice. Then she says but the battery will drain.

Then I point out car chargers.

and she says yes but I want a GPS.
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular

No there isnt

Because Central and South America do not exist?
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
    Kagera wrote: »
    So Nigel Farage was trapped in a pub in Edinburgh today by protesters.

God I love the Scots sometime. I wish I could hug them all

farage-1-522x293.jpg

Maybe you could give them their

FFFFFFFFRRRRRREEEEEEEDDDDDDDOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm!
    just keep those government aid monies coming thanks!

Nigel wants to free the British from the Hated European Union. BOOO HISS
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

it's odd to reflect that germany unified and went hard nationalist (to say the least) just two centuries after having germany lose a third of its population to internal protestant-catholic war
    ronya on

No there isnt

they aren't real america, duh

they don't even have eagles
    I say it with a slight tee-ers

xlh6c3.png
  • AldoAldo Registered User regular
    I like the European anthem, they picked a good song.
    GW2 tag: Aldo.6019
    Free MMO Überlist
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I remember a large contingent of Kazakh kids I knew who were really upset about having "Genghis Khan's blood."

Of course they would. The Kazakhs never historically supported Chinggis Khan.

and the english today are the descendent of tribes who raped and murdered their way onto the british isles, but you don't see them moaning about it today

Identity is a large part of why none of the Central Asian states will work together. Turkmen have no problem being called Chinggis Khan's supporters or descendants because soon after the Mongol empire began crumbling it became normal to assume that any of his descendants were rightful to a support, an entirely non-existant, throne. Temur-e-lang play a large aspect of propping up his descendants.

They should probably get over all that and join the rest of us in the 21st century.

We're all descended from assholes. Let's try doing good things now.

I don't think anyone would like to join any of the former colonial nations with doing anything. Colonialism and neo-Colonialism is still fresh in people's mind.

South America and East Asia would seem to disagree with you there, buddy ;)
    Lh96QHG.png
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Well eventually they'll run out of people to slaughter.

Time is not on the side of the Professional Slaughterer. Truly a noble -- if antiquated -- line of work.

being a slaughterer is kind of inverse of being a government agency

You have to not exceed the slaughter of last year otherwise the population will not stay at replacement and you won't have any future slaughter available, also keep a good slaughter ratio of men, children, elderly to breeding aged women

slaughter less today to slaughter more tomorrow
    override367 on

No there isnt

central america doesn't

north and south only!
    xlh6c3.png

it's odd to reflect that germany unified and went hard nationalist (to say the least) just two centuries after having germany lose a third of its population to internal protestant-catholic war

"just" three centuries?
    xlh6c3.png
This discussion has been closed.