Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Rabbit Season! Duck Season! [Chat] Season!

• ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    the point is, "they were slaughtering each other" is a remarkably poor predictor of "they will continue slaughtering each other"

yeah, I mean, even europe is peaceful now.

which was a crazy concept for most of history.

it's odd to reflect that germany unified and went hard nationalist (to say the least) just two centuries after having germany lose a third of its population to internal protestant-catholic war

"just" three centuries?

wars of religion only ended mid-1600s

german nationalist awakening was mid-1800s, and the old conflict remanifested as the german question. but this didn't prevent german unification.

Are you calling the 30 Years War an internal conflict?

well, no, but a lot of germans died to other germans. that's really the main point.
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    the trail of tours, where each native american was given a little headset to explain the wonders they were seeing as they trudged along

keep up, stay together, that's good

this made me depressed
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    the point is, "they were slaughtering each other" is a remarkably poor predictor of "they will continue slaughtering each other"

it's odd to reflect that germany unified and went hard nationalist (to say the least) just two centuries after having germany lose a third of its population to internal protestant-catholic war

"just" three centuries?

german nationalist awakening was mid-1800s, and the old conflict remanifested as the german question. but this didn't prevent german unification.

my point was, it's a long time

well, compared to what

the conventional understandings of historic nationalist claims typically presume a TNC-ish antiquity

for being ready for another war?

I don't really see them as being all that relevant to german nationalism
    xlh6c3.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I say it with a slight tee-ers

Tiers and tears are pronounced identically unless you're talking about ripping things

Both have a diphthong that sounds like ee-uh

that's not really a diphtong I think but anyway no they're a little different okay?

just trust me

even though this is not my language

It's a unitary diphthong

it doesn't feel like a proper diphtong to me. the english "a" and "i" are things I think of as proper diphtongs.

(which you would write "ei" and "ai" if you had any sense)

I'm glad that you are in touch with your feelings, but it is mos def a unitary diphthong

English spelling and pronunciation is whack

"Leer" is one of the examples of a diphthong for English on wikipedia

Even something like "low"
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    the trail of tours, where each native american was given a little headset to explain the wonders they were seeing as they trudged along

it's just like a field trip, only some of them starved to death and entire family dynamics changed and women got pregnant or gave birth on the way and like a hundred babies died and had to be tossed off the side of the trail

How is Andrew Jackson revered anyway
    override367 on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    European Theme
    Germany's Verse

Wings on my back
    I got horns on my head
    My fangs are sharp
    And my eyes are red
    Not quite an angel
    Or the one that fell
    Now choose to join EU or go straight to Hell

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Is there any interest in the UK for a Canadian Butler?

I have a background in restaurant work, security, and community health care.

I'm practically Alfred.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i am supremely uninterested in where i come from, generations back. i attribute it to being a librul israeli, i guess. i don't need to know, it ain't matter.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

this made me depressed

and over here on the left you'll see lewis mountain

what's that, it already has a name?

well I never

let's move along people, move along
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    I paused a video and for some reason, i thought this face was funny.

kO6Hex5.png

Am i crazy? is my brain broken again?
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    Yessssss

The peanut m&ms button on the vending machine was working today!!
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

Such a buzzkill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_-KoBiBG0

Really, Europe? Ode to Joy?

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Why not a cheerful hymn about the valiant negotiations of the common market with a particularly distasteful and amazing line at Mizuz Thatcher's expense?

More like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNEEb6dzi8&feature=player_embedded
    when they think they're all
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BmHI_57vJk&feature=player_embedded
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Organichu wrote: »
    i am supremely uninterested in where i come from, generations back. i attribute it to being a librul israeli, i guess. i don't need to know, it ain't matter.

you are a homonculus that crawled from a vat of baby blood in the light of a menorah
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

this made me depressed

and over here on the left you'll see lewis mountain

what's that, it already has a name?

well I never

let's move along people, move along

my native-american-hate boner is swollen
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    All hail Canada!

flag_red_ensign.gif
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

"just" three centuries?

my point was, it's a long time

In the broad sweep of history, 300 years is not a long time.

Shit, "democracy" and "liberalism" are pretty novel ideas -- that we still haven't quite hammered the kinks out of, imo.
    network_sig2.png
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    This face:
    I paused a video and for some reason, i thought this face was funny.

kO6Hex5.png

Am i crazy? is my brain broken again?

Goes well with this post:
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Yessssss

The peanut m&ms button on the vending machine was working today!!

Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i know where my grandparents came from. it doesn't matter tho b/c i'm white. well, technically jewish enough to be jewish, but it don't matter
    edited May 2013
    Winky wrote: »
    In fact any English word with an "ee" sound before an R forms a diphthong

Because R cannot be pronounced without a preceding vowel sound

"ee" is a vowel sound

also sorry, I need to vent this: IT'S A FUCKING I SOUND FUCK YOUR STUPID FUCKING LANGUAGE alright I'm okay.

EDIT: Also, no, it totally can. Hafrsfjord, for example.

It's true.

English has the most absurd grasp of vowels. Half the time they have no relationship to the sound they make.

But, to be fair, your language just omits them entirely from long stretches of words.

but when they're there, the same letter always makes the same damn sound.

of course, tanken and tanken are two different words I will absolutely not mistake for eachother in spoken norwegian. (the tank and the thought)

so it's not that simple.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
    Can't he afford a better haircut?
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

Tiers and tears are pronounced identically unless you're talking about ripping things

that's not really a diphtong I think but anyway no they're a little different okay?

just trust me

It's a unitary diphthong

it doesn't feel like a proper diphtong to me. the english "a" and "i" are things I think of as proper diphtongs.

I'm glad that you are in touch with your feelings, but it is mos def a unitary diphthong

My rudimentary understanding of Chinese can indeed corroborate Evil Multifarious' statement, as I say both of these words with a third tone (up-down) over the vowel.
    vspgsp.jpg

"just" three centuries?

I think economists are actually antediluvian vampires or something

maddison's economic history statistics compilation goes back to 0AD...
    of course, tanken and tanken are two different words I will absolutely not mistake for eachother in spoken norwegian. (the tank and the thought)

the mindkreig rolls down the crevices of your cerebellum, firing depleted memory shells into synapses

just trust me

It's a unitary diphthong

those I agree with

(I was taught that a diphtong meant those vowel pairs that almost blended into each other. Since all diphtongs would be vowel pairs in norwegian.)
    xlh6c3.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Total anal-retentive nitpicky nonsense but we're United Statesians damnit. There's more than one America. :P

people say this all the time but we actually have the word America in our name

Canada and Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, etc do not

Odd.

I would say that I'm African, meaning that I'm from the continent of Africa. As can people for Nigeria and Congo and whatever else there is.

I'd also say that I'm South African, which those others can't since it's more specific.

Then of course I can go Durbanite, but I won't because it sounds stupid.
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    but why mindkrieg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

"just" three centuries?

well, no, but a lot of germans died to other germans. that's really the main point.

Yes but generally at the direction of other European powers and often as mercenaries. There is a certain amount of othering that applies that you might not see in other internal conflicts with similar percentages of population loss.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    Leer is pronounced identically to tier and tear, is the thing

Same sound

the mindkreig rolls down the crevices of your cerebellum, firing depleted memory shells into synapses

no, sadly, just the gas tank kind of tank.

tank as in big metal thing with a gun, is either stridsvogn, or tanks, since without the s the loanword gets weird
    xlh6c3.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »

Such a buzzkill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_-KoBiBG0

Really, Europe? Ode to Joy?

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Why not a cheerful hymn about the valiant negotiations of the common market with a particularly distasteful and amazing line at Mizuz Thatcher's expense?

More like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNEEb6dzi8&feature=player_embedded
    when they think they're all
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BmHI_57vJk&feature=player_embedded

I don't know what a montenegro is but I want to go there.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Also the smaller German powers pretty much switched sides constantly.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    hey guys I think that move In Time I saw last night be an allegory for something
    Let me see your dipthoooong

Baby make your booty go ae ae
    Can we all agree that it is totally ridic that Europe went from being Europe to becoming a giant peaceful singular entity with shared currency to which the concept of interstate war is just patently absurd over the course of a half-century?
    vspgsp.jpg
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Dick Trickle killed himself this afternoon.
    I'm still finding it hard not to smile when I hear his name.
    It's like they got done with WWII and when it was over they were like fuck. this. war. shit. We are not doing that crap anymore (at least to each other).
    vspgsp.jpg
    edited May 2013

"just" three centuries?

Yes but generally at the direction of other European powers and often as mercenaries. There is a certain amount of othering that applies that you might not see in other internal conflicts with similar percentages of population loss.

yes obviously pre-nationalist populations conceived themselves as loyal to someone who might not be considered german post-awakening. they weren't primarily german then.

all this is to underscore the relative volatility of nationalist identity, which is only in retrospect rewritten to be the self-evident order of things: inventing fictitious peasant traditions to be called the hallmark of ethnic identity, forging linguistic unity by fiat and then insisting that it always existed, etc.
    ronya on
    Mortious wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Total anal-retentive nitpicky nonsense but we're United Statesians damnit. There's more than one America. :P

people say this all the time but we actually have the word America in our name

Canada and Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, etc do not

Odd.

I would say that I'm African, meaning that I'm from the continent of Africa. As can people for Nigeria and Congo and whatever else there is.

I'd also say that I'm South African, which those others can't since it's more specific.

Then of course I can go Durbanite, but I won't because it sounds stupid.

Pros of identifying with Durbanite:
    "I am Durb-an-ite!"

Cons of identifying with Durbanite:
    "Take your hands off me you damn, dirty Durbanite!"
    (And other, more horrific racial slurs).
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Can we all agree that it is totally ridic that Europe went from being Europe to becoming a giant peaceful singular entity with shared currency to which the concept of interstate war is just patently absurd over the course of a half-century?
    Listen, Europe is the bastion of economic, social and cultural stability. Germany has been a country for almost 25 years.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.