Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    The lady friend just referred to Ender's Game as "Baby's First Rand"

Damn if that ain't some spot-on shit

that's not really accurate at all beyond them both being awful

Encouraging the dehumanization of "inferior" people. Espousing the belief that natural talent forgives nearly all transgressions. Espousing the belief that natural talent make some people inherently better than others. Espousing the belief that any action taken in self-defense, no matter how extreme, is justified and/or forgivable.

Pop quiz: Which book am I talking about?

well-hold on, I had something for this
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular

Encouraging the dehumanization of "inferior" people. Espousing the belief that natural talent forgives nearly all transgressions. Espousing the belief that natural talent make some people inherently better than others. Espousing the belief that any action taken in self-defense, no matter how extreme, is justified and/or forgivable.

a lot?

none of those are really unique to objectivism or card's own brand of pseudo uber-mensch facism
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
    also it's pop quiz hotshot
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular

a lot?

none of those are really unique to objectivism or card's own brand of pseudo uber-mensch facism

That they share an awful lot of the same DNA is basically all that was said?

I guess I'm not really sure why you think it ain't accurate if you agree that they have a whole lot of (gross) themes in common.
    WIMBLIN.jpg

a lot?

That they share an awful lot of the same DNA is basically all that was said?

I guess I'm not really sure why you think it ain't accurate if you agree that they have a whole lot of (gross) themes in common.

because card isn't really an objectivist?

like, fascism is almost the exact opposite in terms of governmental ideology
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

card's whole deal is that wiggin is superior to everybody because he is better and should be in charge of things

galt is what rand wanted EVERYBODY to aspire to because he was super good at stuff and fuck you got mine

the difference is card concedes that some people are born better whereas rand feels anybody can be better if you're not a parasite and do things that people want
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Ascension. Ascension. Hallelujah.Registered User regular
    I just want to look through a tear to the 2030s and see how conservatives like Card will try to justify how much of bigoted sons of fucks they were/are to gays.

Talking up Log Cabin Republicans, I guess
    Raoul Duke wrote:
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
    log cabin republicans really need to admit they hate poor people still
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Registered User regular

You read some weird books. Have you ever dug into Hank the Cowdog?
    c9uTwQL.jpg
    I would be interested in some Pooropinions of that series.

c9uTwQL.jpg

Hank's owner believes and practices eugenics, and is a member of several neo-Nazi organizations
    WIMBLIN.jpg

c9uTwQL.jpg

Hank's owner believes and practices eugenics, and is a member of several neo-Nazi organizations

pobodies nerfect
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

card's whole deal is that wiggin is superior to everybody because he is better and should be in charge of things

galt is what rand wanted EVERYBODY to aspire to because he was super good at stuff and fuck you got mine

the difference is card concedes that some people are born better whereas rand feels anybody can be better if you're not a parasite and do things that people want

Where I'm coming from is, in both there's this view that talent/"practicality" should supersede empathy. Hence "Baby's First" Rand. It ain't a one to one, it's a primer on the underlying lack of empathy and vaunting of superior people over "inferior" ones, and belief that there even is such a distinction as superior/inferior when talking about human life
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    Plus it's just a funny, pithy thing
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    Plus it's just a funny, pithy thing

right I get that, but it's still not really comparable as anything other than "they are both callous assholes"

which is true I guess? but not really apropos

I mean you could replace rand with bolshevism or the khmer rouge or something and it would be more accurate
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

edited May 2013
    Doesn't roll off the tongue, nor incense Redditors, nearly as well
    Poorochondriac on
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    Doesn't roll off the tongue, nor incense Redditors, nearly as well

wait if we're trolling redditors then I recant
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you can read or watch 90% of children's media and find the 'natural talent forgives transgressions/makes you better' based on super-heros and shit.

I noted at a young age that villains who ran away were cowards that ran from a fight.

But heros who ran away were reasonable, good natured folk who were being merciful.

And again, I didn't read the books and get the feeling that there wasn't anyone to blame.
    Skipping the 6 year old stuff, the blame lays clearly on the shoulders of the adults. I didn't come out of that book thinking "gosh, Ender is in the clear" I went "Holy shit what did these people do."

Again, only read the first book, but it is certainly reaching to call the genocide as being 'excused by his ignorance' when you are putting the blame on his superiors. He was literally playing starcraft and then they said "By the way, the final level with all the zerg was real. GG"

Harry Potter's okay with this. Some of the time, anyway.
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Ascension. Ascension. Hallelujah.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hey, remember how the Howlers could spin their torsos around like an action figure?

That was hella sweet.
    CaptainNemo on
    Raoul Duke wrote:
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • KaplarKaplar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I was so excited for this movie to come out after I read the book as a kid.

Now? Eh. If he made a book I liked and just had these ideas, then maybe I'd say ok. Dude can have his opinions even if they're wrong, but, if the money I pay to see this actively funds him being a giant fucking asshole, no thanks.

Thanks, thread.
    Kaplar on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

The Blithedale Romance
    HlDUfm7.png
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ender's Game spoilers.
    I don't know where condemnation of the genocide of the buggers comes from.

They show up to earth, unannounced, and immediately start killing millions of people.

Earth fights back and ends up winning by accident. They knew it was sheer fucking luck that they'd managed to kill the queen. They didn't even know there was a queen when they killed her and all the other Formic ships stopped moving.

So, naturally, they fear another attack from this obviously dangerous and apparently hostile force of unknown numbers and unknown capabilities. They realize that defending a planet from literally every direction is impossible. So they do the only thing they know to do to keep earth safe - they take the fight to the Formics.

I mean, the only reason Ender even knew anything about the Formics was because the queens made a collective effort to beam psychic message into his dreams. The only thing the brass on Earth knew was that if those aliens showed up again, Earth was fucked. There was no communication.

And what were they supposed to do? Send a police force to some unknown, possibly uninhabitable planet for an indeterminate amount of time to try to reign in these utterly alien creatures without killing them?

The war was the result of a tragic misunderstanding, but Earth's response seems pretty understandable to me.
    RT800 on
    I will now share an opinion as controversial and heated in nature as Cards view of gay marriage.

The Eternity Code is the best Artemis Fowl book and I will destroy all civilizations that say otherwise.
    Raoul Duke wrote:

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    I will now share an opinion as controversial and heated in nature as Cards view of gay marriage.

The Eternity Code is the best Artemis Fowl book and I will destroy all civilizations that say otherwise.
    the arctic incident is the best you baka gaijin
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    guys, guys

all the Artemis Fowl books suck
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I lost a game of Starcraft to someone named Ender.

Please kill me.
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    well of course he was a better player than you, he's certainly no beginner
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    No need to wig out over it, man
    acblackflag.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular

Where I'm coming from is, in both there's this view that talent/"practicality" should supersede empathy. Hence "Baby's First" Rand. It ain't a one to one, it's a primer on the underlying lack of empathy and vaunting of superior people over "inferior" ones, and belief that there even is such a distinction as superior/inferior when talking about human life

See, I agree with that as the, that's how the adults ran battle school.

But conversely, that was one of the things that the children fought against. I mean you can argue that the war was won with that philosophy, but its pretty obvious that the main character was scarred by it.
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    guys, guys

all the Artemis Fowl books suck

You suck!
    Gatsby on
    daft2.gif
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I've never read an Artemis Fowl book.

How much of my childhood am I missing?
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    not much

's an okay series

their explanation for the term leprechaun is incredible
    fairies live underground in a super advanced society

the police force is called the Lower Elements Police
    reconnaissance forces have to go above ground to go after fairies that leave
    LEPRecon
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    ahaha oh gosh
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Didn't Galt's Gulch have a class of happy servile people who lacked the talent and vision of the Makers and aspired to be the best damn dishwashers they could be? I mean, I've never read Rand so I could be completely full of shit, but that was my second-hand impression.
    Brian Krakow on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Artemis's explanation for being a male with his name is great.

Also while the post-Eternity Code books are kinda bad Atremis's return to douchebaggery and return were great.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Didn't Galt's Gulch have a class of happy servile people who lacked the talent and vision of the Makers and aspired to be the best damn dishwashers they could be? I mean, I've never read Rand so I could be completely full of shit, but that was my second-hand impression.

That would require a basic understanding of how society functions.

It has no place in an Ayn Rand book.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
    I kinda knew it was time to jump ship after the series started trying to make Opal Koboi into the big bad.

And then the author started shipping Holly/Artemis

Fuckin nope
    Raoul Duke wrote:

I have a tumblr.
    Check it out.