Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Campion wrote: »
    What was wrong with the TV show?

Everything.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    the biggest problem was that they didn't have the budget to do...anything

and it was poorly written in a lot of places?

like, jake figured out tom was a controller because tom scratched his ear
    They couldn't show them morphing.
    They couldn't show the aliens.
    They couldn't show the animals fighting anything.
    They couldn't show violence.
    They couldn't have the animals really interacting with the humans except to have them touching.

By making it live action they basically couldn't do anything.
  • GustavGustav Registered User regular
    Holy fuck. I clearly needed to read Animorphs as a child. What the heck was I doing? Did I really need another how to draw book? No fuck, I needed to start reading Animorphs.
    dYjxf8P.jpg
    *Backwood Folk *Eve of the Ozarks *Tumblr
    Animorphs were great YA literature. They came out as books about once every month or three, and they were short. I read through ten of em in a day when I was catching up for a Megamorph book.

And if you brought em to school to read, people wanted to see em cause they know they had the neat little flip-book animation in the bottom right corner.

Flip the pages and Jake turns into a lizard omigosh
  • GustavGustav Registered User regular
    Though I did read some of Applegate's Everworld stuff. I don't remember much except Norse deities, ancient god eating monsters, and King Arthur's entrails falling out after a botched surgery followed by dragon fighting. Which seems like it's pretty awesome.
    dYjxf8P.jpg
    *Backwood Folk *Eve of the Ozarks *Tumblr
    You want to know what killed the Dinosaurs?

THE ANIMORPHS.
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Registered User regular
    In my elementary school, a lot of kids would play Animorphs on the playground.
    It was basically lord of the flies violent until adults stepped in after a week of bruised kids and put a stop to it.
    Kids throwing rocks and kicking and pushing each other on equipment, and that was just to decide on who would be today's Yeerks.
    I remember someone immediately followed me on a big slide, catching my head with their feet, flooring me into the pebble ground.
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    WRONG, MUNKUS

It was ant aliens who sent the meteorite to broccoli aliens because the Animorphs turned into T-Rexs and wrecked their space ship.

It was not until this day that I realized how much Animorph information my brain has retained.
    Thetheroo on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    One thing that stuck with me since I was a kid was the time that Jake(?) morphed into a fly to spy on a Yeerk meeting or something. He's going to leave and gets swatted and it's like a page of describing how he feels as he's slowly dying.

I mean, he manages to morph back in time somehow, but damn that was dark and really got to me as a kid.
    Veldrin on
  • agoajagoaj Registered User regular
    I had a friend who thought whales actually had ESP because of animorphs.
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    <Guys I'm actually a whale, I have been this whole time.>
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Was that translated from Japanese?
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
    <HTML is actually powered by thought speech.>
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    You want to know what killed the Dinosaurs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnD1IGd0mas
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    edit: whoops, wrong thread. don't have multiple tabs open, people!
    Cilla Black on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular
    k. a. applegate had an abiding love of throwing dark

i never read the everworld series but weren't they all about children getting skinned alive by spaceships and shit like that
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity Registered User regular
    yo thank you all for making this the animorphs thread

i read up to about book twenty-something as a kid before stopping, then read the ending of the last book when i saw it at a book fair a few years later

apparently i dipped out before things got really bonkers, now i want to go back and read everything. i still have a pretty sizeable stack of them at home.
  • Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular
    having read back through the thread

was there even a single animorphs book that wasn't amazing

do you remember visser three having way better morphs than anyone else because he'd been through space collecting the most dangerous predators from every world

so jake shifts into like a tiger or whatever his battle morph was and visser three responds by becoming a pterodactyl with laser eyes and chainsaw wings and taunting him through thought speech about how weak his shit is

do you remember the one where they go inside marco's body to chase the helmacrons and he's a huge dick about it the whole time and morphs into a cockroach while they're in there and almost kills everyone by squishing them in his tiny cockroach heart

and then when they get out they take turns berating the guy for his idiocy and then someone realizes that earlier in the book he'd been infected with rabies and if he hadn't shapeshifted when he did to purge the rabies from his system he probably would have died from it

but they don't tell marco because he'll get smug about it

fuck, animorphs was amazing
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    the only animorphs book that sucked and was without merit was the later one with rachel and david mentioned earlier
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Gustav wrote: »
    Though I did read some of Applegate's Everworld stuff. I don't remember much except Norse deities, ancient god eating monsters, and King Arthur's entrails falling out after a botched surgery followed by dragon fighting. Which seems like it's pretty awesome.

I read the whole Everworld series. It really started to fall apart towards the end. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but it felt like Applegate got bored with the series halfway through and decided to wrap it up as quickly as she could. The result was a lackluster ending.

I also read two or three books into Remnants. It seemed like a fairly interesting concept. Starts off with the extinction of pretty much the entire human race except for those sent out in space-arks that were supposed to preserve humanity. Except almost everyone on the arks dies in stasis except for like 20 people who make up the cast of the books. Who all wake up aboard a strange and menacing alien spacecraft controlled by a rogue AI.

Oh, and one of the guys on the ark never went under during stasis. One chapter goes into detail about what it was like for him to be trapped in stasis, fully conscious but unable to move for like 500 years while the arks drifted through space. Somehow it resulted in him gaining psychic powers.

God she could be depressing.
    RT800 on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Big question: Will they make an Ender's Game game?

Probably best just to play Homeworld again.

Ender's (Movie Tie-in) Game for PS3 and Xbox 360 should be about choosing between two drinks offered by a giant. And maybe drowning some wolf children.
    GSM on
  • DimosarDimosar Registered User regular
    I don't mean to rock the boat but perhaps the YA franchise that should be adapted in Ender's Game's place is not in fact Animorphs but The Bartimaeus Trilogy
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    WRONG, MUNKUS

It was ant aliens who sent the meteorite to broccoli aliens because the Animorphs turned into T-Rexs and wrecked their space ship.

It was not until this day that I realized how much Animorph information my brain has retained.

The animorphs helped the dinosaurs to build a ship to stop the meteorite, then at the last second sabotaged the mission somehow because they realized that the dinosaurs failed here, causing the future to happen the way it was.

Say one thing about Time Travel in Animorphs, at least it's consistent: infinite time-loops.
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    i read lots of goosebumps as a kid

remember monster blood?

that shit was crazy

I didn't read that many actual goosebumps books

but I read basically every choose your own adventure goosebumps book there was

and there were quite a few
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the only animorphs book that sucked and was without merit was the later one with rachel and david mentioned earlier

I dunno if you can say it was "Without merit."

It taught me at a very young age that there are indeed fates worse than death, I cannot think of any other contemporary literature I read around that time which drove that point home.

Unless there was a second book involving rachel and david. I think the one where they 'punish' david was among the last I ever read.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Oh shit

Goosebumps

I think I had 40+ of those damn things
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Every page I progressed through this thread I was hoping it would remain an Animorphs thread. You folks have not let me down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IfboJUVBI8

I think this was posted earlier and while the show was bad, the intro is corny and I like it. My favourite part being the CG Yeerk on the ear that they give up on after half a second.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
    My primary school banned Goosebumps books for a while because they caused serious brawls in the library on more than one occasion.
    I peed on a goosebumps book and hid it in a cupboard. Later I won a new copy at school.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    I went on a huge Goosebumps kick in second grade. I could burn through one in a little over an hour, so I worked my way through the catalog pretty damn quick.

Then I got into Michael Crichton, and was basically done with YA fiction until I was like 23.
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I got into Goosebumps through those big monthly scholastic club things- $10 got you a full size book and some other stuff (stickers, bookmarks, that kind of thing) in this big flat rate mailer. I wonder if they still do that.
    Skeith on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Goosebumps was always too terrifying for me as a kid, there was a show for it too that I didn't watch.

Now a group of teens and an alien forming a militia to take down a secret alien invasion, that was fine with me.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
    I went on a huge Goosebumps kick in second grade. I could burn through one in a little over an hour, so I worked my way through the catalog pretty damn quick.

Then I got into Michael Crichton, and was basically done with YA fiction until I was like 23.

This was basically me. Though I did still keep a steady stream of those trashy Forgotten Realms novels coming in on the side until I finished high school.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

This was basically me. Though I did still keep a steady stream of those trashy Forgotten Realms novels coming in on the side until I finished high school.

Hahaha, I did the exact same fuckin' thing.

I was fully cognizant of the fact that they were terrible, but I just couldn't stop. The amount of time/effort I spent tracking down Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad is stone-cold shameful.
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    Given how popular Ben-10 is (I think? They have 3 different versions of it over about six years, right?) Nickelodeon really missed the gat damn boat by not making a fucking cartoon of that.

Live action? The hell were you thinking! Seriously! The hell!
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    The forgotten realms books are the best kind of bad, trashy fantasy novel. I loved the hell out of all 5 of those god books.

The Drizzt books are by and large just bad though. R.A. Salvatore is bad at writing fighting scenes, and thinks he isn't, so throws them everywhere.

He's alright at worldbuilding though, or used to be anyway. I know people hate on drow, and for good reason, but that first book in the Drizzt origin trilogy is some solid setting establishment and development. In addition to being a bad, trashy, fun fantasy novel. The other two aren't great though.