Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Buttlord wrote: »
    more like remember when they had that girl who got injured in a horrific fire and the yeerks rebuilt her and then she tortured tobias for an entire book
    remember when they trapped david in rat form and then dropped him on a rock in the middle of a harbor or something where he'd be alone with a bunch of other rats which is basically the cruelest form of solitary i can imagine and they had rachel take him there because see above re: her being a sociopath

Jeez, I remember thinking, "If they're gonna do that, why not just go ahead and kill his ass?"

Seriously. It would've been kinder.
    RT800 on
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    I think the whole very early issue with Tobias being stuck like that was my first experience with a truly depressing moment in a book, as a kid.
    daft2.gif
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    remember when they found out that maple oatmeal was literally like crack to the yeerks

only it caused them to get fused with the host brains and never die and go crazy

also I think someone was wandering around with bits of dead yeerk stuck to their brain and they were crazy?
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    remember when they found out that maple oatmeal was literally like crack to the yeerks

only it caused them to get fused with the host brains and never die and go crazy

also I think someone was wandering around with bits of dead yeerk stuck to their brain and they were crazy?

instant maple and ginger oatmeal. had to be instant.
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Buttlord wrote: »
    my favorite book is probably the last megamorphs one

i love that this whole thing is part of the game between ellimist and crayak, the yeerks vs the animorphs

and that the ellimist stacked the deck when it came time to pick his side

visser one's kid, elfangor's brother and son, cassie who was some kind of something that grounded the timeline, and rachel and jake who weren't really special eat shit you two!

basically got the dream team of pubescent freedom fighters

well jake was the brother to an up and coming yeerk and a natural leader so really the big bonus was rachel who was really good at murder

(the term for cassie was sub-temporally grounded I cannot tell you why I remember this)
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    what's an animorph
    xutFvZ4.gif
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    what's an animorph

a miserable pile of secrets
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I grew up reading a lot of Bruce Coville's sci-fi and fantasy (Aliens Ate My Homework, My Teacher is an Alien, Space Brat, The Dragonslayers, Goblins in the Castle, etc.). Really cool stuff, some of it even has a good message.

Many years later, I met him and told him about it. He was a very nice person, and gave me a small part in an audiobook.

The end.

bruce coville is a local and he's really cool and also good friends with my therapist i guess

goblins in the castle is a great book

so were all of the Rod Albright books

those were also some fucked up books for kids
    also my absolute favorite thing ever in that entire series

you spend like thirty books thinking the hork bajir are death machines

and then Hork Bajir Chronicles comes out

and they're just chill dudes who take care of trees and eat bark and want to be peaceful

you're like what in the hell
    they free a couple hork bajir in the thirteenth book!

and everyone's like "what is with these guys they're so goddamned stupid and friendly" and then one of them carves open his own head to show there's no yeerk
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular

I think jake got taken over by a yeerk and so they tied him up for the 3 days it took the yeerk to starve to death inside of jake's head
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I remember that scene now
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I think jake got taken over by a yeerk and so they tied him up for the 3 days it took the yeerk to starve to death inside of jake's head

that absolutely happened

and crayak was there at the end all like "yo I heard the ellimist was showing up soon"
    and then towards the end of the series they decided they had to recruit more fighters so they gave a bunch of crippled kids the ability to morph

but a lot of them were birth/genetic/whatever defects so after 2 hours of flying around as a hawk they had to turn back into a blind kid who couldnt walk

the ones that weren't birth defects and therefore were healed by the morphing process had to continue to fake their disabilities
    they free a couple hork bajir in the thirteenth book!

and everyone's like "what is with these guys they're so goddamned stupid and friendly" and then one of them carves open his own head to show there's no yeerk

oh my god i forgot about that shit

that's right

a dude and a lady and the dude's name was basically jeremy and then their kid was Toby, the seer

that absolutely happened

and crayak was there at the end all like "yo I heard the ellimist was showing up soon"

the whole ellimist/crayak subplot is amazing

this whole thing is just because of a game these two omnipotent assholes are playing

to achieve the greatest results through the smallest action

for example, saving a species from enslavement by directing five kids into a construction site
    and then all those kids got slowly burned to death with a whole bunch of soldiers

visser three (one) threw dark
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Fuck Ender's Game

This is the Animorphs thread now.
    and then towards the end of the series they decided they had to recruit more fighters so they gave a bunch of crippled kids the ability to morph

but a lot of them were birth/genetic/whatever defects so after 2 hours of flying around as a hawk they had to turn back into a blind kid who couldnt walk

the ones that weren't birth defects and therefore were healed by the morphing process had to continue to fake their disabilities

then they all died because tom recovered the cube and gave a bunch of controllers the power to morph and there was a fight

also there was that kid with a horrific speech impediment who fucking loved thoughtspeak because he could actually say what he wnated to

that shit was saaaaaaaaaad
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    i loved the ellimist/crayak stuff more than almost everything else in the series

ellimist chronicles was out there, man
    15Tpj.jpeg
    Turns out that only some of the disabled kids got healed by being able to transform

Sucks for everyone else
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Fuck Ender's Game

This is the Animorphs thread now.

I am completely okay with this, because this shit sounds fascinating
    daft2.gif
    edited May 2013
    and when they boarded a pool ship in orbit in like the last book, jake had them flush the entire pool full of yeerks into space

rachel sent on a suicide mission by jake so she could kill his brother, her cousin, tom
    Kwoaru on
    hey guys remember when ax threatened to nuke their whole hometown to prevent world war III
    I seriously need to buy some Animorphs books now
    daft2.gif
    also if you get more broad with it the ellimist/crayak conflict is supposed to be ellimist trying to prove that people are good

that if you help them, even without them knowing it, they'll do good shit with it
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i loved the ellimist/crayak stuff more than almost everything else in the series

ellimist chronicles was out there, man

jesus christ that book's a fucking head trip and a half

the games

the crash

being imprisoned by Father

the literal god vs the devil conflict between ellimist and crayak
    and then remember the ending where
    Ax was assimilated by the Borg and Jake ordered a suicidal charge with the spaceship he was on into the borg ship and it made no sense if you didnt watch star trek
    15Tpj.jpeg
    hey guys remember when ax threatened to nuke their whole hometown to prevent world war III

fucking no i do not
    I remember that the only reason Crayak even showed up in the first place was because he was fleeing something even worse
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    we're just hitting the tail end of 80s nostalgia revivals

the 90s ones are still a few years off

we are not done with the 80s until I get my Bucky O'Hare revival
    can we have another animorphs phalla i wasn't around for the first one
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I personally am looking forward to the film adaptation of the classic Orson Scott Card novel Ender's Game
    tumblr_m8qk6bmq5b1qigwg9o1_500.jpg
    oh man remember when they rewrite the pacifist robot's programming so that he helps them fight

and then afterwards he's like

thanks a lot assholes

now i can't ever forget any of that and i hate it
    Antimatter wrote: »
    can we have another animorphs phalla i wasn't around for the first one

no
    remember visser three's twin brother that lured yeerks through a yeerk conspiracy theory message board to his house so he could eat them
    I like Bean
    the part in the very very last book where
    they decide to get most of the gang back together and go on a road trip to find Ax who is missing

and the person they get to pilot their ship is some andalite guy who, for reasons, can't be an andalite on board so he traps himself in human morph forever
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So can we talk about other fantasy/sci-fi books here? Right now I'm reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson and it's really good so far.
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Am I the only guy that read the Strange Matter series as a kid?

I guess so, considering its slow and tragic demise. That series lost its soul in its attempts to garner more readers. Sad.

So sad...
    remember visser three's twin brother that lured yeerks through a yeerk conspiracy theory message board to his house so he could eat them

was this the one with the chat room transcript
    Ender is good too