Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Ender's Game. I also enjoyed Ender's Shadow. I read Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, A War of Gifts, Children of the Mind, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant. I hardly remember most of them. Haven't read any of the more recent stuff. Everything after Ender's Game and Shadow of the Hegemon just gets a little too science-fictiony for me.

I tend not to look too deeply at authors. I don't even like to see their picture in the back of the book. I try to separate story from story-teller as completely as possible.

Nevertheless I became vaguely aware that Orson Scott Card was opposed to homosexuality in some way. No specifics. As of the time of this posting, I haven't yet read the entirety of the thread, but I'm sure details will become apparent as I go along.

Still, I feel I'll probably still end up watching the movie. Maybe wait for it to come on HBO?

In that case never ever read anything about or interviews by Terry Goodkind.
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Taxxons straight did not give a fuck about anything.

Just wanted to eat eat eat eat.

Could barely hold a blaster from what I recall.

And they were really easy to kill compared to the Hork Bajir.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I remember reading some book called "help! I'm trapped in my sister's body!" that was a weird book

i read that book, it's part of a series where he jumps into other people's bodies
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Help! I'm Trapped... is a series of 17 books written by Todd Strasser, published by Scholastic Press. With worldwide sales of over 10 million copies, the plots mainly center around a group of children and a machine that has the power to switch bodies.
    The characters include Jake Sherman, who is usually the one "trapped in" someone else's body, his sister Jessica, his two friends Andy and Josh, and their science teacher who made the machine. Recurring characters include Jake's parents and dog and the principal.
    The first of the series, Help! I'm Trapped in my Teacher's Body, was published in 1993.
    [edit]The series

Help! I'm Trapped in My Teacher's Body (1993)
    Help! I'm Trapped in the First Day of School (1994)
    Help! I'm Trapped in Obedience School (1995)
    Help! I'm Trapped in My Gym Teacher's Body (1997)
    Help! I'm Trapped in My Sister's Body (1997)
    Help! I'm Trapped in the President's Body (1997)
    Help, I'm Trapped in Obedience School Again (1997)
    Help, I'm Trapped in Santa's Body (1997)
    Help! I'm Trapped in My Camp Counselor's Body (1998)
    Help! I'm Trapped in My Principal's Body (1998)
    Help! I'm Trapped in a Movie Star's Body (1998)
    Help! I'm Trapped in an Alien's Body (1998)
    Help! I'm Trapped in My Lunch Lady's Body (1999)
    Help! I'm Trapped in the First Day of Summer Camp (1999)
    Help! I'm Trapped in a Professional Wrestler's Body (2000)
    Help! I'm Trapped in a Vampire's Body (2001)
    Help! I'm Trapped in a Supermodel's Body (2001)
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    pretty much I have read anything published by scholastic because of the monthly school purchase program.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    if you remember that little how do you even know that you enjoyed them

I mean I enjoyed Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. I remember those books pretty well. Even re-read them on occasion.

This was not the case for the other books. They were, in my opinion, less interesting and enjoyable. Of course, I read most of them several years ago.

The point is, if I don't remember them well, they must not have been very good.

Of course, I still remember Dearly Devoted Dexter and that was a terrible terrible book. For entirely different reasons.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Help! I'm Trapped... is a series of 17 books written by Todd Strasser, published by Scholastic Press. With worldwide sales of over 10 million copies, the plots mainly center around a group of children and a machine that has the power to switch bodies.
    The characters include Jake Sherman, who is usually the one "trapped in" someone else's body, his sister Jessica, his two friends Andy and Josh, and their science teacher who made the machine. Recurring characters include Jake's parents and dog and the principal.
    The first of the series, Help! I'm Trapped in my Teacher's Body, was published in 1993.
    [edit]The series

Help! I'm Trapped in My Teacher's Body (1993)
    Help! I'm Trapped in the First Day of School (1994)
    Help! I'm Trapped in Obedience School (1995)
    Help! I'm Trapped in My Gym Teacher's Body (1997)
    Help! I'm Trapped in My Sister's Body (1997)
    Help! I'm Trapped in the President's Body (1997)
    Help, I'm Trapped in Obedience School Again (1997)
    Help, I'm Trapped in Santa's Body (1997)
    Help! I'm Trapped in My Camp Counselor's Body (1998)
    Help! I'm Trapped in My Principal's Body (1998)
    Help! I'm Trapped in a Movie Star's Body (1998)
    Help! I'm Trapped in an Alien's Body (1998)
    Help! I'm Trapped in My Lunch Lady's Body (1999)
    Help! I'm Trapped in the First Day of Summer Camp (1999)
    Help! I'm Trapped in a Professional Wrestler's Body (2000)
    Help! I'm Trapped in a Vampire's Body (2001)
    Help! I'm Trapped in a Supermodel's Body (2001)

Couldn't resist going back to that Obedience School well twice, huh
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Taxxons straight did not give a fuck about anything.

Just wanted to eat eat eat eat.

Could barely hold a blaster from what I recall.

And they were really easy to kill compared to the Hork Bajir.

could ever so barely speak the common language, died from a fall higher than 4 feet or any gash more serious than a paper cut

but there were millions and millions of them and they had mouths like a garbage disposal on steroids

animorphs was a fun book series
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    the animorphs transformers toys were terrible, how did I never own one

I had the board game!
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    the animorphs transformers toys were terrible, how did I never own one

I had the board game!

i had ax
    he fell apart and couldnt transform right, what an awful toyline that was

i also had the taco bell rachel that turned into a fly and jake that turned into a lizard
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I think from the taco bell line I had...a cube (escafil device I know the name of the damn thing) that had a marble in it and it was a puzzle
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    nobody fucking @'ed me

fuckers

anyway this movie is almost certainly gonna be bad but i'll still see it

i gotta
    oh hey i could pretend my tesseract from the avengers box set is an escafil device
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    they made a toy of me
    captured my likeness well
    15cke.jpeg
    15Tpj.jpeg
    Function: N/A
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    also animorphs is the superior books about child soldiers suffering through the hell of war

jesus those books were dark

remember when they flat-out said "rachel's a sociopath who really likes killing shit who wouldn't have realized this if it wasn't for the war"
    more like remember when they had that girl who got injured in a horrific fire and the yeerks rebuilt her and then she tortured tobias for an entire book
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Not to mention the whole theme of the most terrible and absolute form of enslavement conceivable.

That's some fucked up shit for a kid's book yo.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    also animorphs is the superior books about child soldiers suffering through the hell of war

jesus those books were dark

remember when they flat-out said "rachel's a sociopath who really likes killing shit who wouldn't have realized this if it wasn't for the war"

Fuck Ender's Game! Make that into a big budget movie.
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    I...man I really left the Animorphs series early, didn't I
    daft2.gif
    I liked the planet they go to that was like, made of legos or looked like legos or something.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    blocks were involved
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    more like remember when they had that girl who got injured in a horrific fire and the yeerks rebuilt her and then she tortured tobias for an entire book

I liked the party where one of the kids mom is literally the leader of the invasion

like finding out your long lost dad is actually hitler
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    I...man I really left the Animorphs series early, didn't I

Yeah, so did I
    I picked up a later book once and was completely confused
    seriously guys, The Attack. it was my first animorphs book, but though I loved most of the rest I read it pretty much peaked there.
    15Tpj.jpeg

remember at the end when jake's parents are taken and that was literally his motivation for fighting was to free tom and keep his parents from being taken and welp

remember when tobias was literally a metaphor for someone who was crippled in combat

remember when they trapped david in rat form and then dropped him on a rock in the middle of a harbor or something where he'd be alone with a bunch of other rats which is basically the cruelest form of solitary i can imagine and they had rachel take him there because see above re: her being a sociopath
    The_Attack_Illustration.jpg
    Howlers, son
    15Tpj.jpeg
    I knew it! I knew I wasn't crazy!
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    that was with the race that was literally all evil, just completely evil
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    and cassie was like surely that isn't possible but then whoops it is
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    remember when they went back in time and turned into fucking dinosaurs!
    i loved the twist with the Howlers
    they weren't evil, they didnt know what they were doing was wrong
    they were killing and having fun doing it because they had the intellect of six year olds

and then they became useless to Crayak because the ones who fought the animorphs saw kissing and shared that knowledge with the entire rest of the howler race and ended up trying to kiss the next alien race Crayak sicced them on
    15Tpj.jpeg
    That cover reminds me that Cassie's battle for was almost always a wolf and it's like, you realize that there are better animals to turn into than a big dog for fighting aliens, right?
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    no they beat the howlers with kissing

remember when they turned into cows to infiltrate a slaughterhouse and at the end everyone eats burgers
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i loved the twist with the Howlers
    they weren't evil, they didnt know what they were doing was wrong
    they were killing and having fun doing it because they had the intellect of six year olds

and then they became useless to Crayak because the ones who fought the animorphs saw kissing and shared that knowledge with the entire rest of the howler race and ended up trying to kiss the next alien race Crayak sicced them on

thaaaaat's right
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    my favorite book is probably the last megamorphs one

i love that this whole thing is part of the game between ellimist and crayak, the yeerks vs the animorphs

and that the ellimist stacked the deck when it came time to pick his side

visser one's kid, elfangor's brother and son, cassie who was some kind of something that grounded the timeline, and rachel and jake who weren't really special eat shit you two!

basically got the dream team of pubescent freedom fighters