Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• MorivethMoriveth Registered User regular
    when I was 13 I was reading...I dunno, animorphs? yeah, that sounds right

maybe some star wars books

certainly none of this ender's game nonsense

Geebs I'm willing to bet that when you were 23 you were reading Animorphs and Star Wars books

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    KanjiSig.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    where is the hit new animorphs reboot movie
    that's got to be on the horizon soon
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth Registered User regular
    Animorphs: Extreme

Though granted I guess those books were more disturbing than people give them credit for?
    KanjiSig.png
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    yeah they got pretty fucking grim
    chillaxton.jpg
    any major dude will tell you
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll just leave out the Locke and Demosthenes stuff
    locke_and_demosthenes.png

Yeah, I always wondered how that part of Ender's Game worked.

Because 9% think it's too high, and shouldn't be cut! 9% of respondents could not fully
    get their arms around the question. There should be another box you can check for, "I
    have utterly no idea what you're talking about. Please, God, don't ask for my input."
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    Renown ain't power, son
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    and that is why nate silver is dictator-for-life
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    To be fair, Matt Drudge did inexplicably become the American Media's Assignment Editor for several years. Not quite dictator for life, but pretty good for terribly presented bullshit with a healthy sprinkling of siren.gif.
  • DruhimDruhim Usagi's cuddlefish Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Speaking of sci fi books about weird genetics and shit, did anyone else ever read the Lilith's Brood trilogy?

I did like twelve years ago or something and I only vaguely remember them but they were weird and kind if good maybe?

I read Dawn about a year and a half ago and I thought it was really exceptionally good

one of a handful of sci-fi books that has impressed me both for the themes it presents and from a craft perspective

Octavia Butler was a fine author that tackled some really interesting ideas about culture using sci-fi.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Druhim wrote: »
    Speaking of sci fi books about weird genetics and shit, did anyone else ever read the Lilith's Brood trilogy?

I did like twelve years ago or something and I only vaguely remember them but they were weird and kind if good maybe?

I read Dawn about a year and a half ago and I thought it was really exceptionally good

one of a handful of sci-fi books that has impressed me both for the themes it presents and from a craft perspective

Octavia Butler was a fine author that tackled some really interesting ideas about culture using sci-fi.

and a local, for the last years of her life

so, aces
    chillaxton.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Oh hey anyone ever read Card's Alvin Maker series? Basically straight up noble savage/white knight bullshit, it's great

did you get how the end was an explicit allegory for the founding of the Mormon church

I think I remember reading the first of those books and thinking that the idea that everyone had a tiny superpower was kind of cool. I don't remember anything other than that.
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    that's the trailer huh,

hmm yeah, it's probably a skip
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    Huh, it does look that way.
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Oh hey anyone ever read Card's Alvin Maker series? Basically straight up noble savage/white knight bullshit, it's great

did you get how the end was an explicit allegory for the founding of the Mormon church

I think I remember reading the first of those books and thinking that the idea that everyone had a tiny superpower was kind of cool. I don't remember anything other than that.

that was my first reaction too, the first few books were some pretty neat worldbuilding
    that is a trailer that I would describe as "anemic"
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Ford sounds...different
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    was that actually ford during the narration? I thought so but dismissed it as someone else because it just sounded so completely bland and lifeless

he was pretty bland and lifeless when on-camera too, but that's harder to reject
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah it was him, I thought it wasn't at first too.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    ford sound like he gave that narration from a real comfy chair
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo Registered User regular
    While on the phone
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    harrison ford just doesn't have the energy he used to unless he's yelling
    well yeah but he did a terrible job with the blade runner narration on purpose

so really he's probably doing a terrible job with ender's game and taking their money regardless on purpose too
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I mean, his face sags too much to be really sardonic and that was what he was best at
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    yeah they got pretty fucking grim

The way it ended polarized the fan base so Nostalgia wouldn't help a reboot anyway. I've never met people who didn't hate it. It's kind of amazing.

• wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    well yeah but he did a terrible job with the blade runner narration on purpose
    That's his story anyway
    jBEKRTH.png
  • SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    why

did he do that
    NSxe4l9.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    why

did he do that

What I've heard was that the narration was tacked on by the studio at the end, and many of the people involved in the movie hated the idea of it, including Harrison Ford.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    why

did he do that

Because he hated that they made him do it
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    It looks like the zero-g fights might be fun

Maybe I'll redbox it when it comes out and just watch those scenes or something
    acblackflag.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    so this movie just looks bad
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Though a quick look at Wikipedia says Ford says he did the best job he could, but never expected them to actually put it in.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cold, dead, fish
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
    on blade runner narration:
    Ford...disliked the voiceovers: "When we started shooting it had been tacitly agreed that the version of the film that we had agreed upon was the version without voiceover narration. It was a f**king [sic] nightmare. I thought that the film had worked without the narration. But now I was stuck re-creating that narration. And I was obliged to do the voiceovers for people that did not represent the director's interests."[17] "I went kicking and screaming to the studio to record it."[18]
    chillaxton.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    Big question: Will they make an Ender's Game game?
    PSN: JoeUser80 Steam