Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    we're just hitting the tail end of 80s nostalgia revivals

the 90s ones are still a few years off
    Dichotomy on
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I also had the PC game which was at least playable, unlike the game boy game, which was like someone wrote "pokemon???" and that was the whole design doc that he handed to some intern
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    i had that game
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    On December 11th, 2012, it was discovered that Sony Pictures had registered four domain addresses that may or may not allude to their involvement in an Animorphs movie. There is yet to be any official word, however all four domains redirect to Sony Pictures website. The URLs include:[11]
    animorphs.net
    animorphs-movie.net
    animorphsmovie.com
    animorphs-movie.com
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    if you know something is awful and promotes awful things why would you spread it around

because I enjoyed it and I'm not appreciably more facist/homophobic/kiddy diddling for it

it is a perfectly enjoyable ya/child sci fi novel
    "What is that??" Rachel asks, pointing to an alien walking out of a space ship

"I don't know, but it's definitely not from my 'hood," Marco responds.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Those Animorph books sure ended weirdly, though.
    Thetheroo on
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    did you guys know that at one point I was involved with an animorphs fan movie project

and by involved I mean this guy sent me a couple aim messages and I doodled in a notebook

I think it was gonna use flash???
    the geebs that is a director
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    keep us apprised
    NSxe4l9.png
    it was like...before I even started posting here

they eventually posted a really bad trailer and now I don't think it's even on the internet anymore

oh well
    anyways fifteen year-old me has like three notebooks full of ideas for an animorphs video game if anybody's interested
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Oh my gosh they're playing BEAST WARS
  • SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    oh yeabsolutely
    NSxe4l9.png
    what are the yeerk shock troops called again
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    the ones who are actually really nice or whatever
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    I could also show you the plans my cousin and I had for a Goosebumps movie...by pointing you towards a list of Goosebumps book titles and telling you to stop around 21. Or my plan for Ghostbusters III which was "okay so there's a new ghost. viggo. gozer???" Or my cousin's plan for Jurassic Park II which was entirely centered around the idea that "grant dies and the logo is the same only instead of the dinosaur it's just his hat lying on the ground" and I was like "dude no shut up" and practiced drawing that cube you could draw by drawing two squares and connecting the corners
    Langly wrote: »
    the ones who are actually really nice or whatever

hork bajir
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    we're just hitting the tail end of 80s nostalgia revivals

the 90s ones are still a few years off
    Ender's Game came out in 1985, 27 years ago, so we should be getting an Ocarina of Time movie in, let's see

jBEKRTH.png
    haha yeah hork bajir
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    My mind couldnot comprehend hork bajir being their name.
    I totally read those books and knew it was some scifi-ass ridiculousness, but I could not believe Geebs Post.
    Virgil_Leads_You on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Seven feet tall, made of swords, suuuuuuuuper chill dudes
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    What is a good sci fi book that I could read guys?
    uh, animorphs??? duh??????
  • SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I think it would take the Ender's Game premise and bring it into present, with the government releasing a drone strike game for free. Then the top-rated players would be given special DLC ...
    Directed by Paul Verhoeven.
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Ender's Game. I also enjoyed Ender's Shadow. I read Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, A War of Gifts, Children of the Mind, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant. I hardly remember most of them. Haven't read any of the more recent stuff. Everything after Ender's Game and Shadow of the Hegemon just gets a little too science-fictiony for me.

I tend not to look too deeply at authors. I don't even like to see their picture in the back of the book. I try to separate story from story-teller as completely as possible.

Nevertheless I became vaguely aware that Orson Scott Card was opposed to homosexuality in some way. No specifics. As of the time of this posting, I haven't yet read the entirety of the thread, but I'm sure details will become apparent as I go along.

Still, I feel I'll probably still end up watching the movie. Maybe wait for it to come on HBO?
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Do you also enjoy itallics?
    Well, I figure book titles deserve a little something extra.

Underline is so tacky.
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    Also I think a lot of youare treating a young adult fiction as if it were intended to be substantial literature which is pretty ridiculous

Oh, fuck that.

Plenty of YA books have solid prose. Hunger Games, His Dark Materials, Series of Unfortunate Events, Terry Pratchett's YA stuff, even Harry Potter (from Azkaban on, anyway).

Shit prose is shit prose, and Ender's Game is shiiiiiit prose.

Plus, what Langly said about messages.

Did you just call Hunger Games solid prose?

Really? Really?
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
    RT800 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Ender's Game. I also enjoyed Ender's Shadow. I read Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, A War of Gifts, Children of the Mind, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant. I hardly remember most of them.

the bolded section fully explains the previous quoted statements
    xutFvZ4.gif
    edited May 2013
    I mean it looks like he did, but I had to reread the post to see if something justified your incredulous reaction
    The Geebs That Is A Pony on
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Seven feet tall, made of swords, suuuuuuuuper chill dudes

They used those swords to climb trees and eat bark.

Then that one guy who got stuck as the Centipede shock troop and wanted to commit suicide.
    taxxons! they all became anacondas and shit
    RT800 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Ender's Game. I also enjoyed Ender's Shadow. I read Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, A War of Gifts, Children of the Mind, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant. I hardly remember most of them.

the bolded section fully explains the previous quoted statements

I remember the titles.

I do not remember the content.

Something about space colonies and a new religion and an AI in Ender's ear and shit.
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    I grew up reading a lot of Bruce Coville's sci-fi and fantasy (Aliens Ate My Homework, My Teacher is an Alien, Space Brat, The Dragonslayers, Goblins in the Castle, etc.). Really cool stuff, some of it even has a good message.

Many years later, I met him and told him about it. He was a very nice person, and gave me a small part in an audiobook.

The end.
    edited May 2013
    I originally read Shadow of the Hedgemon as Shadow of the Hedgehog and was thinking that Wiggin lived in an alternate reality where SEGA won the console wars.
    Munkus Beaver on
    if you remember that little how do you even know that you enjoyed them
    xutFvZ4.gif
    I remember reading some book called "help! I'm trapped in my sister's body!" that was a weird book
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular