Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    I don't understand

he appeared to be using f**king correctly
    NSxe4l9.png
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    yeah, I thought about deleting that and the asterisks then I realized I don't really give a fuck
    chillaxton.jpg
    any major dude will tell you
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    they know our weaknesses

heh, like my ex-wife

cold fish... you're the ender

where's my money
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • Mysterious FoxMysterious Fox Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Big question: Will they make an Ender's Game game?

Probably best just to play Homeworld again.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Ender's Game: The Game should not actually include gameplay of any of the games Ender plays at all, instead focussing entirely on wandering around spaceships talking to people.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    was that actually ford during the narration? I thought so but dismissed it as someone else because it just sounded so completely bland and lifeless

he was pretty bland and lifeless when on-camera too, but that's harder to reject

The voice being bland and lifeless is how you can tell it's Harrison Ford.
    Harry Dresden on
    edited May 2013
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Though a quick look at Wikipedia says Ford says he did the best job he could, but never expected them to actually put it in.

Ford says that about every project. He thought Shia LaBeouf was unprofessional when Shia admited to the press he thought they fucked up Indy 4.

http://www.eonline.com/news/249968/harrison-ford-calls-shia-labeouf-f-king-idiot-for-bad-mouthing-indy-4
    Harry Dresden on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    At first thought, I thought they ruined the ending, but really, they just put the door that leads to the ending hallway, we're just looking at that sweet, sweet, paneling.
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I think I'd rather see that movie with will Smith and his kid.

man I dont care how shit it is, I love both Will and Jaden. I'm psyched for After Earth

I originally thought thus post was hating on Pursuit of Happiness
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Though a quick look at Wikipedia says Ford says he did the best job he could, but never expected them to actually put it in.

Ford says that about every project. He thought Shia LaBeouf was unprofessional when Shia admited to the press he thought they fucked up Indy 4.

http://www.eonline.com/news/249968/harrison-ford-calls-shia-labeouf-f-king-idiot-for-bad-mouthing-indy-4

lebeouf was the worst part of indy 4 so...
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
    PiptheFair wrote: »

The worst part of Indy 4 was Indy 4.
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

The worst part of Indy 4 was Indy 4.

nah

take away the ending and the beef and you have a movie indistinguishable from the previous 3
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
    edited May 2013
    Also I think a lot of youare treating a young adult fiction as if it were intended to be substantial literature which is pretty ridiculous
    HellaJeff on
    he also re-wrote it at least once with the overt intent of making it more appropriate for a wider audience
    chillaxton.jpg
    I agree that arguing about messages is valid but some of this is getting to a degree that is really unwarranted.

Like the incest argument, yeah his AI friend appeared similarly to his sister; because Valentine was clearly designed as Enders only exposure to compassion. Not because of some weird osc fetish.

I think other points are worth discussion because they apply to the target audience. Ender was rewarded for his positive qualities like intellect, but also for his negative ones such as having little to no social skills. And to me that makes him a badly written character but definitely not a Hitler apologist.
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Was about to say Shia has never been in a movie I liked but I guess he was in Nausicaa?
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Moriveth wrote: »
    when I was 13 I was reading...I dunno, animorphs? yeah, that sounds right

maybe some star wars books

certainly none of this ender's game nonsense

Geebs I'm willing to bet that when you were 23 you were reading Animorphs and Star Wars books

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

well shit, I was reading animorphs books as recently as six months ago

star wars books I've cut ties with
    yeah I've got no beef with Star Wars books but at this point the main books are so mired in continuity that I would have to read like ten year's worth of them and I just can't be arsed

I'll stick with the comics and, potentially, videogames
    chillaxton.jpg
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    star wars comics are dumb

super dumb
    eat shit, cade skywalker
    them's fightin' words, Geebs
    I can understand not liking Legacy; Cade does get a little whiny, but I like what it did with the Sith and at least it tried to do something new with the setting

but if you read the KotoR series and didn't enjoy it then I would say that Star Wars as a whole is probably just Not For You
    chillaxton.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    after David the animorphs books got really bad.

But anyway labeling something as Children's literature doesn't designate it a something that doesn't have an agenda. Actually, it turns out that children are super easy to manipulate through ideas and stories and that sort of literature is filled to the brim with agendas and dogma.

Like, we indoctrinate children to look at the world, culturally, the way we want them to with stories. All the tropes and morals of fairy tales and children's fiction is designed to impart messages that go deeper than most things they'll learn at school. Our idea of right and wrong, justice and injustice, gender roles, sexuality, all that stuff gets its cultural foundation in our stories. Stories are important.

So, yeah, while Ender's Game is an outlier in its message and so isn't going to totally warp a child's outlook, it's by no means a healthy one. And Card specifically does have a worldview that he has made overt actions to further.
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    after David the animorphs books got really bad.
    wrongo, book 26 was the best
    the thing is that Applegate had like half the series ghostwritten for her, the ones she wrote were pretty great
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    That trailer looked pretty uninteresting.

If I'm going to say something positive then at least the battle room looks cool?
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    That trailer looked pretty uninteresting.

If I'm going to say something positive then at least the battle room looks cool?

Yeah, that's where I am

Really exploring zero-g combat in a movie isn't a thing I've ever seen a movie do? So that could be interesting.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    "Simple prose" ain't the same as "bad prose," but "bad prose" is the same as "bad prose."
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    I liked the book and will probably watch the movie on DVD

and I'd probably recommend the book to people looking for a childrens sci-fi book even knowing how awful card was and being able to see, as an adult, the shittier underlying themes of the book
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    if you know something is awful and promotes awful things why would you spread it around

Is this about the time I covered your bathroom in my feces? I told you I was sorry, geez.
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular

when you touch a hot stove, do you just stand there and keep burning your hand
    xutFvZ4.gif
    you know what is a baller children's book that has a great message?

Ella Minnow Pea
    The novel is set on the fictitious island of Nollop, off the coast of South Carolina, which is home to Nevin Nollop, the supposed creator of the well-known pangram "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." This sentence is preserved on a memorial statue to its creator on the island and is taken very seriously by the government of the island. Throughout the book, tiles containing the letters fall from the inscription beneath the statue, and as each one does, the island's government bans the contained letter's use from written or spoken communication. A penalty system is enforced for using the forbidden characters, with public censure for a first offense, lashing or stocks (violator's choice) upon a second offense and banishment from the island nation upon the third. By the end of the novel, most of the island's inhabitants have either been banished or have left of their own accord.

It's an epistolary novel where the authors all have to start finding synonyms that don't use the banned letters, or just dropping the letters from words, until they become a garbled mess as no one can communicate (it takes place in an alternate history and the island uses primarily written correspondence). Language becomes a form of rebellion and the main character is tasked with constructing a shorter pangram than the original phrase, which becomes the over-arching quest. It's really great.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    I'm never gonna claim that the animorph books are like, high art, but they're way more interesting than they really have a right to be, even now, and it's a little insane that nobody's tried to make that a movie or something

or a new cartoon or I dunno

I mean in all likelihood any adaptation would be pretty bad, but
    they made a tv show and it was depressingly awful
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Langly wrote: »
    they made a tv show and it was depressingly awful

I am very aware of the tv show
    oh man they're all on youtube
    PoQ0cUz.jpg