Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i think Ender is supposed to be like 8 when he fights that kid in the showers

You mean when he
    murders the kid?
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    so are there going to be scenes in this movie with this 16-year-old's glistening, naked body wrestling with naked older boys in the showers

I'm very concerned about movie adaptations remaining true to the source material
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I think I'd rather see that movie with will Smith and his kid.
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    i think Ender is supposed to be like 8 when he fights that kid in the showers

You mean when he
    murders another kid?

• SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I think I'd rather see that movie with will Smith and his kid.

And that's saying something!

-pause, laugh track-
    acblackflag.jpg
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Look, if someone just explains to him that gay people aren't varelse, I'm sure he'll get it.
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that ship sailed years ago.
  • WheatBun01WheatBun01 Registered User regular
    I'm glad I stand corrected in that they are 8 instead of 12. Now I feel better about this whole thing, does Harrison Ford watch them? Does he advocate it?

• MachwingMachwing grown ass man Registered User regular
    man I liked shadow complex

def. the best metroidalike on xbox, and a steal for 15 bux
    hello
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    let's not overlook the really overt incest overtones between the protagonists in Ender's Game

also the interpretation of Ender as barely-coded apologia for Hitler
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    man I liked shadow complex

def. the best metroidalike on xbox, and a steal for 15 bux

Nope. Symphony of the night is on there.
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    After Earth is just going to be a two-hour long Bel Air.
    TrippyJing on
    daft1sig.gif
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    gtrmp wrote: »
    let's not overlook the really overt incest overtones between the protagonists in Ender's Game
    I've never read Ender's Game but Jesus Christ. How the hell do you slip fairly obvious incestuous subtext into a YA novel?
    Brian Krakow on
  • ElaroElaro Doing experiments Windfall IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

Whaaat? Maybe Card intended Ender to have parallels with Hitler in which case, what a dick, but
    Ender is literally not guilty of genocide, even though that's what occurs. All he knows is, he's practicing fighting the alien. In fact he wishes to quit training, and demonstrates this by an act of figurative insubordination, doing the one thing his superiors have expressed disapproval of, but that act ends up wiping out the aliens and "saving the day". The real culprits are the ones who set up the whole plan in the first place, not Ender. Now, if he had been more forthright about his wanting to quit, then maybe the situation could have been averted, but maybe not. Someone else would have given the order. I mean, it couldn't have been that hard to figure out that blowing up the planet=automatic victory.
    I've never read Ender's Game but Jesus Christ. How the hell do you slip fairly obvious incestuous subtext into a YA novel?

I think it's a combination of "kids don't know any better" and "it's so outrageous our minds just refuse to accept it".
    Elaro on
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps Somnambulist SocietyRegistered User regular
    I've never read Ender's Game, but the things I've heard about Card always caused me to shy away from it.

I have read his short story 'Jamaica' and that was more than enough for me.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    I've never read Ender's Game

I'll see the movie though, sure
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
    Yeah, with regards to Wiggin
    committing total genocide - way to go, Wiggin - he didn't actually mean to do it. He thought it was a training simulator and by being so ruthless he would get a failing grade and be unassigned.

Though I don't know how he didn't figure out what was happening, there were only ten pages left in the book.
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular

Hmm, I always thought the use of Buggers was a typical example of derogatory nicknames created by humans about their enemies, like the equivalent of Americans calling their enemies "Japs" or numerous other such nicknames that seem to pop up in wartime situations.
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Elaro wrote: »

Whaaat? Maybe Card intended Ender to have parallels with Hitler in which case, what a dick, but
    Ender is literally not guilty of genocide, even though that's what occurs. All he knows is, he's practicing fighting the alien. In fact he wishes to quit training, and demonstrates this by an act of figurative insubordination, doing the one thing his superiors have expressed disapproval of, but that act ends up wiping out the aliens and "saving the day". The real culprits are the ones who set up the whole plan in the first place, not Ender. Now, if he had been more forthright about his wanting to quit, then maybe the situation could have been averted, but maybe not. Someone else would have given the order. I mean, it couldn't have been that hard to figure out that blowing up the planet=automatic victory.

I think it's a combination of "kids don't know any better" and "it's so outrageous our minds just refuse to accept it".

that's the whole point

e- Munkus is right, the SoL hasn't run out on spoilers for this one yet
    that's why it's a great piece of apologetics for Nazism: the protagonist is unwilling to grasp power but has to, because he's perfect, it really couldn't end up any other way. And his genocidal actions aren't really his, they were just forced upon him by the fact that it was necessary and he was literally the only one in the galaxy that could handle it.

MrMonroe on
    Might want to spoiler that, @MrMonroe.
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights fuck tough be coolRegistered User regular
    i'm hype, i liked this book in eighth grade and don't care about anything past it
    qZBj2IN.png
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I actually just looked up the word myself and...given the man's leanings...it is a pretty interesting phrase to have chosen.

Oh, definitely, and I'd thought of the same thing. That he tried to think of the "worst" thing his closed little mind could concieve of and that became the alien's derogatory nickname.
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Shitwizards CUNTINGFUCKSHITASSRegistered User regular
    I really liked Ender's Game, I didn't see the ending coming because I was reading the Kindle version and wasn't paying attention to % of completion.

Probably will see this too, I don't really care what Card has said and done.
    VMkxq9E.png
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    As a disenfranchised teen I didn't mind ender's game when I first read it. Now it's kinda a non-entity to me which I'm glad had no lasting impression on me when I was younger.
    daft2.gif
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    Gross themes, godawful dialogue, garbage prose, largely shitty characterization.

It's paced well, but that is the beginning and end of my praise.
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    It's such a dull book. I read it because someone had said it was decent, and it just wasn't good.
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    ummmm Shadow Complex had fuck-all to do with Card and is easily one of the best games on Live Arcade
    chillaxton.jpg
    any major dude will tell you
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Shadow Complex is fucking amazing and I enjoyed it more than any actual Metroid game

That is not damning to Metroid, it is just really high praise for Shadow Complex
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
    Shadow Complex was a better Metroid game than some actual Metroid games
    chillaxton.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    when I was younger I read just about anything by Card I could get my hands on

up until the end of the Alvin Maker series turned into an explicit metaphor for the founding of the Mormon church

that was weird
  • interrobanginterrobang we can tear up this rotten world together we'll break and smash and pound it into dustRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    ummmm Shadow Complex had fuck-all to do with Card and is easily one of the best games on Live Arcade
    Cliff Bleszinski, design consultant at Epic Games for Shadow Complex, indicated during an E3 interview that the game runs parallel to the events in the Orson Scott Card novel, Empire, and that the game will dovetail with the sequel to the book, Hidden Empire. Empire is a Chair-owned intellectual property that was licensed to Orson Scott Card to create a series of novels.
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    I liked these books, and I only read them like 2 years ago. I don't think I got the same message as you did?

I dunno. I might see this if I'm still working at the theater. Card is an ass though yes
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
    Shorty wrote: »
    Cliff Bleszinski, design consultant at Epic Games for Shadow Complex, indicated during an E3 interview that the game runs parallel to the events in the Orson Scott Card novel, Empire, and that the game will dovetail with the sequel to the book, Hidden Empire. Empire is a Chair-owned intellectual property that was licensed to Orson Scott Card to create a series of novels.

yes

IP licensed to Card

he was not involved in the creation of Shadow Complex in any way

he is not listed in the credits

and he does not get any money from it

all you have to do is not buy his undoubtedly shitty spinoff novels

there, moral crisis averted

now go play Shadow Complex
    chillaxton.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    reminder that Orson Scott Card isnt just some vocal bigot, he's on the board of directors for the national organization for marriage which exists to oppose every form of gay marriage, civil union, and gay adoption

That and his books are where I know him from
    But I sadly will try to remain a civil person when people talk about this movie/book or what not

I have not read the books
    A.jpg