Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Registered User regular
    when I was younger I read just about anything by Card I could get my hands on

up until the end of the Alvin Maker series turned into an explicit metaphor for the founding of the Mormon church

that was weird

I read few of those books. They were kinda weird, what with all the Irish magics and folklore that set the premise of what I read.
    I think there was another series that was about Mormon gypsies in post apocalyptic America?
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Trying to think back to when I found out Card was a cunt. Obviously it made me think of the books in a different light, but it can't take away the fact that as a kid, I enjoyed them. Though not to the point of idolising or wanting to emulate anyone.

There's probably a lot to say about this but I'm getting a headache thinking about it. I can't find a way to make myself think that there is a moral obligation to avoid the artistic works of someone morally dubious, yet for some reason I feel like I ought to be apologising for this.
    uwsig2of.jpg
  • Anjin-SanAnjin-San That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    reminder that Orson Scott Card isnt just some vocal bigot, he's on the board of directors for the national organization for marriage which exists to oppose every form of gay marriage, civil union, and gay adoption

I remember an interview on that SC amendment where he was saying that there aren't really any laws that discriminate against gay people anymore

Let's give this guy that Star Wars money
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I think the Hitler connection to the main character is a reach.
    Ender's Game is essentially a story about a child soldier, and a world being shaped by talented children (some of which are probably sociopaths).
    Wiggin isn't a politician, and from my memory, he never really takes on an aggressive ideological role.
    Something tells me that Hitler wouldn't become an ambassador and protector of the Jews, if he had won his war.

Hr520qA.jpg
    HlDUfm7.png
  • DruhimDruhim Usagi's cuddlefish Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Needless to say most of the people I know who Really Love the book aren’t soldiers, they’re socially-malformed geeks who’re attracted to the ‘meritocratic’ vision of the genius freak, ‘precociously’ outwitting everyone around him, morally pure though his thoughts are bloody and selfish, who wins battles with his brain but secretly is almost superhumanly effective at physical tasks – which you’d never guess to look at him.

Card’s writing comes, I think, from a more plainly geeky wish-fulfillment urge, and is a way of placing the misunderstood genius/asshole at the center of the moral universe. It’s no wonder that Ender spends most of his time lecturing his peers (moral/intellectual inferiors) and playing video games, and it’s no wonder so many people at (e.g.) MIT, where Ender’s Game is a kind of shared keystone text, live identical or very similarly narcissistic lives. The dominant social pathologies at MIT line up neatly with Ender’s own.

yuuuuup
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    I mean, I obviously don't know from experience whether the digs at MIT are valid but overall I totes agree with that.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    it's probably wrong that I'm just as offended by Card's attempt to re-write Hamlet as I am by everything he's ever said on the subject of gays/gay rights

but there it is
    chillaxton.jpg
    any major dude will tell you
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    I mean, I obviously don't know from experience whether the digs at MIT are valid but overall I totes agree with that.

I think MIT is being used as shorthand for the uniformly male-nerd-dominated social context, rather than getting singled out as an egregious example of such
  • SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    rewrite hamlet?
    NSxe4l9.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Polar Warbear ˁ ͡° ᴥ ͡°ˀRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    it's probably wrong that I'm just as offended by Card's attempt to re-write Hamlet as I am by everything he's ever said on the subject of gays/gay rights

but there it is

Well his rewrite was also pretty homophobic.
    1AgQz.png
    edited May 2013
    Seriously wrote: »
    rewrite hamlet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet's_Father

basically he gives it these really ridiculous religious overtones, and makes the king a pedophile, and turns it into a GAYS ARE THE PROBLEM YOU GUYS tract

then there's the whole "I'm so arrogant I re-wrote one of the greatest works in literary history" angle

which is what cheeses me off the most
    Shorty on
    chillaxton.jpg
    The Lion King is the best possible rewrite of Hamlet anyway, I don't think anyone else needs to bother.

Nope. Strange Brew.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    his hamlet rewrite's no manga Macbeth (where macduff is not born of woman because he is an android)
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    no shakespeare rewrite holds a candle to she's the man
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    Let's just get Orson Scott Card to shut the hell up and focus on writing dialogue for THE DIG 2
    2wrn580.png
  • vsovevsove Registered User regular
    Ender's game is like if poop wrote a book, and then those books were turned into poorly done Hollywood blockbusters. Ender's game is the Asylum films mock buster of those movies, wrought by sentient feces.

I do not like Ender's Game.
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    I like Ender's AI friend.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    his hamlet rewrite's no manga Macbeth (where macduff is not born of woman because he is an android)

yeah but manga MacBeth is no anime Count of Monte Cristo
    Gatsby wrote: »
    no shakespeare rewrite holds a candle to 10 Things I Hate About You

the shit hath hitteth the fan
    chillaxton.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth Registered User regular
    Scotland PA was an alright adaptation of Macbeth, I think
    KanjiSig.png
    10 things I hate about you is excellent

yes indeed
    chillaxton.jpg
    well who wouldn't like that
    NSxe4l9.png
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Campion wrote: »

you mean the AI that arbitrarily decided to present as a girl and is in love with the protagonist and used to be his favorite videogame and is also the space internet?

No I mean the AI who is his younger sister when she was a child that he created with his mind and also trees.
    Campion on
    I have forgotten a lot about these books
    NSxe4l9.png
  • MorivethMoriveth Registered User regular
    Man now I wanna watch Scotland PA again. Is it on Netflix?
    KanjiSig.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular

you mean the AI that arbitrarily decided to present as a girl and is in love with the protagonist and used to be his favorite videogame and is also the space internet?

No I mean the AI who is his younger sister when she was a child that he created with his mind and also trees.

oh you mean the younger, more attractive version of his sister who is totally enamored with him who he subconsciously created when he went outside the universe to the magical place that grants wishes
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    My favorite re-write of hamlet is the literal history of the royal family of Portugal
  • WybornWyborn simple as can be Registered User regular
    Y'all makin' this book sound fucked up
    tMK9I.png
    Xbox Live: GZOTP | Origin: Khuutra
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    My favorite re-write of hamlet is the literal history of the royal family of Portugal

something is rotten in the state of Portugal?
    chillaxton.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Read ultimate iron man for his wondetful depiction of Rhodey.
    Divorce that from the " artist"
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Y'all makin' this book sound fucked up

To be fair, they are talking about way more than than Ender's Game. Sequels and such, which get more and more insane.
    cheeseliker.png
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    Guys it's finally time for me to LP THE DIG
    2wrn580.png
  • RoloRolo Registered User regular
    Ender's Game taught me how to become the genius + badass that I am today.

I learned that it's okay to murder children who make you feel bad, as long as you know they're evil.

Part of my long-term goal in life is to use my super genius to write a series of blog posts that are so good that I eventually become a syndicated columnist, and from there get elected as the president of Planet America, despite my well documented sociopathic tendencies and my habit of torturing small animals.

I feel great comfort knowing that I'm both more special and smarter than you.
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    Ender's Game taught me how to become the genius + badass that I am today.

I learned that it's okay to murder children who make you feel bad, as long as you know they're evil.

Part of my long-term goal in life is to use my super genius to write a series of blog posts that are so good that I eventually become a syndicated columnist, and from there get elected as the president of Planet America, despite my well documented sociopathic tendencies and my habit of torturing small animals.

I feel great comfort knowing that I'm both more special and smarter than you.

Please sir, use my skull to hewn the stairs by which you shall reach your destiny.

If I only knew, I'd have gladly thrown myself down in sacrifice instead of, you know, making fun of your dick in the shower.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus