Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Leia Organa is the best Disney princess.

Ow

I am wounded
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I don't mind the fact that Disney movies and similar media treat love as some kind of magical bond, where the bond precedes the meeting and transcends all normal forms of attachment. Love isn't magical, but it can feel that way, and these love at first sight meetings where dashing princes and princesses connect despite not knowing each other too well capture that.

For me, the problem is when people expect actual love to turn out that way. It's as bad as expecting yourself to get everything you want out of life, just because you're the hero of your own story. Sometimes things seem to work out perfectly and magically, and there's value in media that depicts that, but you can't let that be your expectation.
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Wrath Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    it fucking sucks, just like every movie Mike Myers is involved with
    Inglorious Basterds.

sigvf.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Here's the thing about shrek: it fucking sucks, just like every movie Mike Myers is involved with

but

but

inglourious basterds
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Shrek had a great soundtrack.
    also Shrek is love, Shrek is life
    I don't mind the fact that Disney movies and similar media treat love as some kind of magical bond, where the bond precedes the meeting and transcends all normal forms of attachment. Love isn't magical, but it can feel that way, and these love at first sight meetings where dashing princes and princesses connect despite not knowing each other too well capture that.

For me, the problem is when people expect actual love to turn out that way. It's as bad as expecting yourself to get everything you want out of life, just because you're the hero of your own story. Sometimes things seem to work out perfectly and magically, and there's value in media that depicts that, but you can't let that be your expectation.

Romance novels!

Yeah people have kinda messed up views of relationships, love, and.. well everything.

Fuck it all, build your own path!
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

9BlFf4Z.jpg

How many Death Stars did Mulan orchestrate the destruction of?
    tea-1.jpg
    9BlFf4Z.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A_Rl8aQxII

STILL BEST SONG
    Chu and I know what's up.
    sigvf.jpg
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Shrek had a great soundtrack.

Excuse you?

Lion King.

Be Prepared.

Heifer.
    Shivahn wrote: »
    9BlFf4Z.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

STILL BEST SONG
    fixed that for ya

sigvf.jpg
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    I love Mulan, she is arguably one of the strongest Disney princesses in the lineup in that she is physically capable, strong-willed, motivated by a love of her family, not to mention she almost single-handedly ends a war. But she falls victim to the same shit Disney always cooks up for their 'happily ever after,' instead of accepting this incredibly prestigious position offered to her by the Emperor, she decides to go home and eventually get married to Shang and live a happy domestic life forever. BUT MULAN YOU WERE DESTINED FOR GREATNESS.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    I connected with Meg from Hercules and Belle from B&B the most
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I thought the Wayne's World movies were considered good. Is that me getting bad information again?
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Imagine if there was a movie where a black guy and a white girl want to get together and at the end they do. Then they kiss and a magic spell changes white girl black so they can be married.
    Donkey Kong on
    dkmouthsig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    who wants to work for the emperor. that sounds lame. i'd rather go be in the land of my people and bang my hot soldier husband.
    I love Mulan, she is arguably one of the strongest Disney princesses in the lineup in that she is physically capable, strong-willed, motivated by a love of her family, not to mention she almost single-handedly ends a war. But she falls victim to the same shit Disney always cooks up for their 'happily ever after,' instead of accepting this incredibly prestigious position offered to her by the Emperor, she decides to go home and eventually get married to Shang and live a happy domestic life forever. BUT MULAN YOU WERE DESTINED FOR GREATNESS.

How terrible it must be, to be a good citizen and renounce power gained through war
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    I've decided to join men's right advocacy to fight the stereotyping of my gender.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowSGxim_O8
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    9BlFf4Z.jpg

STILL BEST SONG
    fixed that for ya

Men have become much less mysterious ever since Apollo 8.
    tea-1.jpg
    9BlFf4Z.jpg

STILL BEST SONG
    fixed that for ya

Pfah

Ironically has insufficient musings on breaking gender roles.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    I've never seen Hercules because I wanted to contribute to Disney's abandonment of traditional 2D animation.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Omg why do I have 31 notifications?
    Eddy wrote: »

Meg is pretty awesome. Just wish she had been bright enough to prick her own finger instead of letting the column fall on her.

"what's that, you say? If I get hurt, he returns to full power? Ok. *trips, bangs knee*. Problem solved!"
    Did anyone watch SNL last night? (I know, it's a long shot). I wanna know how Zach Galafianakis was. In blooper reels he's always getting tongue-tied and flubbing his lines so I wonder how he did on a live show.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    Elldren wrote: »

did you make a thread and forget to turn that off?

How terrible it must be, to be a good citizen and renounce power gained through war

Eddy shut up I thought you were on my team.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Did anyone watch SNL last night? (I know, it's a long shot). I wanna know how Zach Galafianakis was. In blooper reels he's always getting tongue-tied and flubbing his lines so I wonder how he did on a live show.

I don't watch SNL because I don't like bad shows, but nydailynews.com says
    Zach Galifianakis delivers high-quality comedy as ‘Saturday Night Live’ host
    The ‘Hangover’ star could arguably be the funniest celebrity to touch the ‘SNL’ stage this year.
    I don't really enjoy Disney movies

i guess the way all my early 20 something friends build Disney up as the best and most character defining part of their childhoods is annoying

• ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »

did you make a thread and forget to turn that off?

No
    Tamin wrote: »

Meg is pretty awesome. Just wish she had been bright enough to prick her own finger instead of letting the column fall on her.

"what's that, you say? If I get hurt, he returns to full power? Ok. *trips, bangs knee*. Problem solved!"

Men get stronger when women get hurt.

Great theme Disney!
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.

Eddy shut up I thought you were on my team.

I'm just teasing

If you want to introduce counter-narratives obviously we have to go all the way and read three or four levels deeper
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Mulan is strong but can be defeated by the common L
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey [chat]

Going to work shortly

I have spent yesterday evening and this morning hanging with my brother, sis-in-law and babby nephew

We ate the shooter's sandwich while super-drunk last night

I forgot to document the experience :(

But today I went for a run and paneled a room, and the Leafs won last night, so it's been a good day.
    mysterious as the darksiiiide of the moooooooon
    sigvf.jpg
    Oh there are sides now? Jeez raven haven't seen this kind of segregating since 1959!
    _J_ wrote:
  • MimMim Registered User regular

But what if being a wife was what she wanted? Like, just because she goes home to take care of her parents doesn't mean she gave up. She can still be a warrior and still be a wife.
    I've been listening to disney songs for the past twenty minutes

so good : o
    edited May 2013
    mysterious as the darksiiiide of the moooooooon

Which, again, is no longer all that mysterious. Thanks NASA.
    moniker on
    tea-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.