Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Got my new wizard up past where my gw fighter wad in neverwinter.

Such a difference. On the fighter by level 9 I wad out of potions and spending all my money buying more. On the wizard i have like 30 of the things on hand just from drops.

Play a cleric

potions are suddenly things other people use
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I have Neverwinter installed. I just can't play it for the next three days.

And by then I'm betting most of you will have moved on.

We can form the Late to the Party party

later this week
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    never ran into a potion problem

sounds like you need to dodge more / exploit campfires when available
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Got my new wizard up past where my gw fighter was in neverwinter.

Such a difference. On the fighter by level 9 I was out of potions and spending all my money buying more. On the wizard i have like 30 of the things on hand just from drops.

I think I have 40 of the tier 2 ones on my 24 wizard.

Between my cc and my fighter companion I almost never take damage now.
    falasig.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Clerics are easy mode.

Are rogues roguish in Neverwinter?

I should actually read up on this game.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Sabin is a dick.

"Current's fast."

"No kidding."

"But if we don't jump, we won't see our friends again!"

....he says to Gau who was thrown out as a baby and has no one, and Cyan whose family and all his friends literally died in front of him yesterday and he just saw them board the phantom train to the other side.

Woolsey did that translation in record time. 30 days, I think he said.

Its rough patches are part of the charm. The GBA translation (which became the "official" one for everything after) feels so sterile and literal by comparison.

Alexander O Smith or bust

Tactics Ogre and FF12 with those godlike localisations
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    What I want to know is why water mills and other forms of hydraulic asset wealth haven't been accumulating in Westeros.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Sabin is a dick.

"Current's fast."

"No kidding."

"But if we don't jump, we won't see our friends again!"

....he says to Gau who was thrown out as a baby and has no one, and Cyan whose family and all his friends literally died in front of him yesterday and he just saw them board the phantom train to the other side.

Woolsey did that translation in record time. 30 days, I think he said.

Its rough patches are part of the charm. The GBA translation (which became the "official" one for everything after) feels so sterile and literal by comparison.

Yeah it's rough but I love it.

later this week

I will be there.
    ronya wrote: »
    What I want to know is why water mills and other forms of hydraulic asset wealth haven't been accumulating in Westeros.

Questions like these are why shadowy assassin newborns plague our lands.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Got my new wizard up past where my gw fighter wad in neverwinter.

Such a difference. On the fighter by level 9 I wad out of potions and spending all my money buying more. On the wizard i have like 30 of the things on hand just from drops.

Play a cleric

potions are suddenly things other people use

Or just have a cleric companion.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    @mim, watch All Over Me and The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love.

They are not only the best lesbian romance movies that I've seen, they are also the only lesbian romance movies I've ever seen.

I might one day watch "All Over Me" but "The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love" is a no-go for me due to certain memories.

Ugh, memories. Fuck memories.

(Imagine I had inserted the Eternal Sunshine poster here, because mobile Google Images Search is stupid and I can't figure out how to copy URLs from it.)
    network_sig2.png
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular

Is there evidence that they haven't been accumulating, other than the absence of narrative touching on them?
    2ezikn6.jpg
    "How dare you! You licentious howler!"

Good times, FFVI. Good times.
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    @mim, watch All Over Me and The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love.

They are not only the best lesbian romance movies that I've seen, they are also the only lesbian romance movies I've ever seen.

I might one day watch "All Over Me" but "The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love" is a no-go for me due to certain memories.

(Imagine I had inserted the Eternal Sunshine poster here, because mobile Google Images Search is stupid and I can't figure out how to copy URLs from it.)

I save images to my phone -->photobucket--> post
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, Gamasutra has a pretty good piece on crowdfunding up. Confirms a lot of my suspicions.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    God I love China. People just trying to give me money because I can feign interest and knowledge.
    2ezikn6.jpg
    So, Gamasutra has a pretty good piece on crowdfunding up. Confirms a lot of my suspicions.

Aliens?
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Playing MMOs with friends is frustrating at times. "Well I haven't had much chance to play this week. I am only level 34. What level are you" "I just hit 90"
    Hamurabi wrote: »

I save images to my phone -->photobucket--> post

Way too much investment.

Also: Haha. Apple was so much less subtle -- and so much more overtly grandiose and self-aggrandizing -- 13 years ago.

http://youtu.be/UAc7DJRxrRs
    network_sig2.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    never ran into a potion problem

sounds like you need to dodge more / exploit campfires when available

GW fighters can't dodge. That's the thing. THey have long uninterruptable attacks and no teleport / roll / jump move. They can sprint but only forward.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Aliens?

That the model isn't for everyone, that it requires management of the community to be a priority, that it does benefit established players.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Okay [chat]

My heart is a nut and you're the one wrench in the box that fits

See ya
    God I love China. People just trying to give me money because I can feign interest and knowledge.

Don't forget the cut throat kindergarten wars.

• PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    guys i'm cat sitting this cat and he's SUCH A DRAMA QUEEN

taking fab notes as I type this
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png

Aliens?

That the model isn't for everyone, that it requires management of the community to be a priority, that it does benefit established players.

Am I a bad person for wishing the answer was aliens?

More importantly: Ty for reading for me.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    2000 seems so long ago now.

Don't forget the cut throat kindergarten wars.

That bloodsoaked field was my entry point.
    2ezikn6.jpg

I graduated highschool in 2000.

I should go to sleep before I start crying.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

Is there evidence that they haven't been accumulating, other than the absence of narrative touching on them?

Yes - they're limited to sections of rivers, and having too many of them impinges on the performance of those downriver, so control over them should be a substantial part of politics that doesn't seem to ever happen. The shift of taxable value from grazing to arable land has clearly already happened, but the second shift from arable land to capital assets hasn't.

Available historical evidence suggests that once they've been invented, there tends to be continuous refinement, which makes sense because water wheels are amenable to lots of immediately-rewarding innovation.
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    Story about D&D Clerics and TMI about online roleplaying:
    I spent an unhealthy amount of time, many years ago, on a Neverwinter Nights 1 server that was level locked to 3, had next to zero magic items, and was PvP oriented when it came to combat. My Cleric build was ridiculous, and this was with some severe weapon and armor restrictions to the class so that it wasn't just a Fighter + Spells. Most people chose Fighter (because it was a strong class, with the items it had available) or Cleric because of the spells.

The class was widely considered overpowered on that server (and still is) but I abused the hell out of player psychology in ways nobody else considered. Primarily, I knew that almost nobody had more than +2 to Will saves (because WIS is a dump stat on a PvP server and nobody took Wizards seriously, also lots of people rolled half-elves and elves for Sleep immunity which discouraged Enchantment specialization) and so I took +4 to Enchantment DCs and used Hold Person to essentially end the fight with one spell cast. That and clever things to get my AC up, plus a summoned animal, meant that properly prepared I could take on 4 seriously-built people at one time and just down them one by one.

It felt like nobody ever caught on to the Enchantment thing, or figured out how to get enough AC to force Fighters to roll a natural 20 to hit, or knew how to use Taunt. I had absolutely nothing to fear in a fight. It was a fairly serious playerbase when it came to PvP too, I don't know why I was the only one using those tricks.

I also had a niche Wizard build that could one-shot people out of invisibility with a flaming greatsword. But if that attack rolled a 1 or the damage didn't roll high enough I was fucked. This caused no end of hilarity when it worked, though.
    Podly wrote: »
    guys i'm cat sitting this cat and he's SUCH A DRAMA QUEEN

taking fab notes as I type this

My best friend in China gave me his cat while he's in Thailand.

The cat is goddamn adorable.

My roommate and I have discussed our mutual vague hope that something happens so that we don't have to give this amazing cat back.
    2ezikn6.jpg

I always forget that the 2000s were an entire decade, probably because they're when I Came Of Age.

Like someone will say 1999, and I'll be like, "Oh so not long ago."

"Well, fourteen years ago actually."

"Oh right..."
    network_sig2.png

later this week

I will be there.

I am holding you and the others who awesomed this post to this: Wednesday night, we will do this thing
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    God, I loved the old Apple. Steve Jobs selling as hard as he could, pre-intel, crazy product designs, keynotes streamed live online, full power reality distortion field. They said whatever they wanted, no one took them seriously, it was fun.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    QKDt7Js.jpg

Yes - they're limited to sections of rivers, and having too many of them impinges on the performance of those downriver, so control over them should be a substantial part of politics that doesn't seem to ever happen. The shift of taxable value from grazing to arable land has clearly already happened, but the second shift from arable land to capital assets hasn't.

Available historical evidence suggests that once they've been invented, there tends to be continuous refinement, which makes sense because water wheels are amenable to lots of immediately-rewarding innovation.

Well if Geth thinks it makes sense.

But no really, fantasy settings don't entertain the notion of a historic materialism.

Investing in steam engines would: a) make them steampunk, not fantasy; b) divert precious resources from research into Alchemy.
    network_sig2.png
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Story about D&D Clerics and TMI about online roleplaying:
    I spent an unhealthy amount of time, many years ago, on a Neverwinter Nights 1 server that was level locked to 3, had next to zero magic items, and was PvP oriented when it came to combat. My Cleric build was ridiculous, and this was with some severe weapon and armor restrictions to the class so that it wasn't just a Fighter + Spells. Most people chose Fighter (because it was a strong class, with the items it had available) or Cleric because of the spells.

The class was widely considered overpowered on that server (and still is) but I abused the hell out of player psychology in ways nobody else considered. Primarily, I knew that almost nobody had more than +2 to Will saves (because WIS is a dump stat on a PvP server and nobody took Wizards seriously, also lots of people rolled half-elves and elves for Sleep immunity which discouraged Enchantment specialization) and so I took +4 to Enchantment DCs and used Hold Person to essentially end the fight with one spell cast. That and clever things to get my AC up, plus a summoned animal, meant that properly prepared I could take on 4 seriously-built people at one time and just down them one by one.

It felt like nobody ever caught on to the Enchantment thing, or figured out how to get enough AC to force Fighters to roll a natural 20 to hit, or knew how to use Taunt. I had absolutely nothing to fear in a fight. It was a fairly serious playerbase when it came to PvP too, I don't know why I was the only one using those tricks.

I also had a niche Wizard build that could one-shot people out of invisibility with a flaming greatsword. But if that attack rolled a 1 or the damage didn't roll high enough I was fucked. This caused no end of hilarity when it worked, though.

: /

This story failed to deliver on the implied premise
    Years of killing giant ants in video games has left me uneasy in the presence of tiny (real) ants.

They just know that my first instinct is to shoot them with a laser pistol of something.
This discussion has been closed.