Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Oh, literally TMI, not abbreviation/slang TMI.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Story about D&D Clerics and TMI about online roleplaying:
    I spent an unhealthy amount of time, many years ago, on a Neverwinter Nights 1 server that was level locked to 3, had next to zero magic items, and was PvP oriented when it came to combat. My Cleric build was ridiculous, and this was with some severe weapon and armor restrictions to the class so that it wasn't just a Fighter + Spells. Most people chose Fighter (because it was a strong class, with the items it had available) or Cleric because of the spells.

The class was widely considered overpowered on that server (and still is) but I abused the hell out of player psychology in ways nobody else considered. Primarily, I knew that almost nobody had more than +2 to Will saves (because WIS is a dump stat on a PvP server and nobody took Wizards seriously, also lots of people rolled half-elves and elves for Sleep immunity which discouraged Enchantment specialization) and so I took +4 to Enchantment DCs and used Hold Person to essentially end the fight with one spell cast. That and clever things to get my AC up, plus a summoned animal, meant that properly prepared I could take on 4 seriously-built people at one time and just down them one by one.

It felt like nobody ever caught on to the Enchantment thing, or figured out how to get enough AC to force Fighters to roll a natural 20 to hit, or knew how to use Taunt. I had absolutely nothing to fear in a fight. It was a fairly serious playerbase when it came to PvP too, I don't know why I was the only one using those tricks.

I also had a niche Wizard build that could one-shot people out of invisibility with a flaming greatsword. But if that attack rolled a 1 or the damage didn't roll high enough I was fucked. This caused no end of hilarity when it worked, though.

: /

This story failed to deliver on the implied premise

Well there's more that I was going to tell but I got embarrassed and deleted it

I'll give you a hint though

this NWN server was in the "Social" server category

If you know what that means I, uh. It was a long time ago.
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    GO ON
    dkmouthsig.png
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Like, you have millers. And the miller's daughter, who is clearly a reasonably high-status occupation that is still nonetheless lower than any of the landed nobility. So we're still a pretty long way from bourgeoisie supremacy, but the degree of stagnation is... curious. There are mines. Automation there is surely always welcome.
    ronya on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    What I want to know is why water mills and other forms of hydraulic asset wealth haven't been accumulating in Westeros.

Is there evidence that they haven't been accumulating, other than the absence of narrative touching on them?

Yes - they're limited to sections of rivers, and having too many of them impinges on the performance of those downriver, so control over them should be a substantial part of politics that doesn't seem to ever happen.

I guess I don't see a window in the story so far that would suggest that they do or don't exist. Like, the scope of disputes is comprehensive in the number of families/regimes it affects, but the nature of their individual wealth is largely kept vague. A common dispute within the Riverlands may be regarding the use of rivers. House Tully and nearly every other greater power in Westeros has something of an existential crisis at the moment though and I'm not sure that the court of Riverrun is really considering those disputes at the moment.

I would absolutely be interested in an extended GoT universe that considers issues like that, but as it is I think the narrative's focus is such that it's hard to make reasonable assumptions about things like that.
    2ezikn6.jpg
    Like, you have millers. And the miller's daughter, who is clearly a reasonably high-status occupation that is still nonetheless lower than any of the landed nobility. So we're still a pretty long way from bourgeoisie supremacy, but the degree of stagnation is... curious. There are mines. Automation there is surely always welcome.

...but there are no stories that make particular reference to the nature of minework in Westeros, to my recollection.
    2ezikn6.jpg
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    GO ON

Yeah no I can't

Some things I don't really feel like putting up publicly on the internet
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    What I want to know is why water mills and other forms of hydraulic asset wealth haven't been accumulating in Westeros.

Is there evidence that they haven't been accumulating, other than the absence of narrative touching on them?

Yes - they're limited to sections of rivers, and having too many of them impinges on the performance of those downriver, so control over them should be a substantial part of politics that doesn't seem to ever happen. The shift of taxable value from grazing to arable land has clearly already happened, but the second shift from arable land to capital assets hasn't.

Available historical evidence suggests that once they've been invented, there tends to be continuous refinement, which makes sense because water wheels are amenable to lots of immediately-rewarding innovation.

Well if Geth thinks it makes sense.

But no really, fantasy settings don't entertain the notion of a historic materialism.

Investing in steam engines would: a) make them steampunk, not fantasy; b) divert precious resources from research into Alchemy.

There doesn't need to be steam. No coal and no oil rather cripples an industrial revolution. Wood gets expensive fast; there is little reward to processing wood more rapidly than it can grow.

But mills alone should rather change the nature of politics - instead of an industrial revolution built around steam, you would still get it building up around rivers, and mines that happen to be near rivers should be fantastically valuable.
    Today was a good day overall. Stuck to my workout schedule despite wanting to sleep in, and pushed myself really hard. Got about $500 worth of badly-needed wardrobe update for a net of $85. Quality time with the parents. Minimal work bullshit intruded into my day off.
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular

Yes - they're limited to sections of rivers, and having too many of them impinges on the performance of those downriver, so control over them should be a substantial part of politics that doesn't seem to ever happen. The shift of taxable value from grazing to arable land has clearly already happened, but the second shift from arable land to capital assets hasn't.

Available historical evidence suggests that once they've been invented, there tends to be continuous refinement, which makes sense because water wheels are amenable to lots of immediately-rewarding innovation.

But no really, fantasy settings don't entertain the notion of a historic materialism.

Investing in steam engines would: a) make them steampunk, not fantasy; b) divert precious resources from research into Alchemy.

There doesn't need to be steam. No coal and no oil rather cripples an industrial revolution. Wood gets expensive fast; there is little reward to processing wood more rapidly than it can grow.

But mills alone should rather change the nature of politics - instead of an industrial revolution built around steam, you would still get it building up around rivers, and mines that happen to be near rivers should be fantastically valuable.

The narrative isn't sufficiently granular in this regard to determine the value of mines on rivers
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    a
    GO ON

Yeah no I can't

Some things I don't really feel like putting up publicly on the internet

I remember my first elf...
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Registered User regular

The narrative isn't sufficiently granular in this regard to determine the value of mines on rivers

it should affect what conquest is about and how power is secured, surely
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    the later Terry Pratchett books have a really interesting take on modernization of a fantasy world going on in the background.

They made use of a network of wooden towers with semaphore flags to bring about the ability to rapidly transfer information across the continent. And the introduction of nearly instant communication has all kinds of side effects.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Registered User regular
    Today was a good day overall. Stuck to my workout schedule despite wanting to sleep in, and pushed myself really hard. Got about $500 worth of badly-needed wardrobe update for a net of $85. Quality time with the parents. Minimal work bullshit intruded into my day off.

This sounds like a damn good day.
    edited May 2013

This kind of thinking about fantasy worlds is interesting. I don't recall reading anything where the concept of industry is explored in any depth, probably because (as mentioned above) any inkling of technological progress starts to beg questions about verisimilitude.

Cue the old trope about fantasy always being stuck in some pseudo-feudal medieval age that has plausibility issues

But more importantly it would be a very specific type of narrative which would be enriched by exploring such things. Otherwise it's just worldbuilding wankery. It could be a compelling story, but it's not the kind of thing most fantasy authors set out to do.

I think this is why I enjoyed The Baroque Cycle so much, it's set in that period of history where the forces of technology and commerce and imperialism and knowledge are starting to move too rapidly for existing power structures to survive. The 17th century is my favorite period to study, Europe underwent some serious upheaval.
    AresProphet on

it should affect what conquest is about and how power is secured, surely

That may very well be what some aspects of conquest are about. Often times conquest could be about capturing resource wealth. Other times terrorists fly planes into buildings/kill an important person from a powerful family and large, powerful groups flip their shit and start throwing their resource wealth into the woodchipper of war.

The specific maneuvers that the armies make are too opaque to tell exactly what kinds of resources they're capturing or razing.

As I noted earlier, there may be common disputes over water usage that has been overshadowed by greater disputes that threaten the structure that would typically handle those disputes. There also may have been smaller skirmishes and conflicts within the current conflict that involve water resources to an extent that we aren't aware of because of the nature of the narrative. There may also be earlier greater conflicts about water resources that have gone unmentioned.

The narrative isn't comprehensive, and largely depends on the perceptions of the power players involved.
    2ezikn6.jpg
    like, is power secured by controlling cities and any taxable wealth raised there, at fairs or through nascent industries, or by controlling farmland and seizing a portion of the agricultural surplus

the politics suggests the latter. the described level of technology should be already shifting toward the former.

Hm. Girl I haven't seen for five months just messaged me and said "Hey! I'm married. And pregnant."
    2ezikn6.jpg
    uh-oh. and now a ":-("
    2ezikn6.jpg
    like, is power secured by controlling cities and any taxable wealth raised there, at fairs or through nascent industries, or by controlling farmland and seizing a portion of the agricultural surplus

the politics suggests the latter. the described level of technology should be already shifting toward the former.

I think GRRM has glossed over a lot of the agriculture stuff so far because it's about to become relevant: the great lords have been waging war and razing towns and farms and squabbling over who controls what and not worrying about who is going to eat what

Winter is coming

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Okay, this is interestring: using d20 to model the conflicts of the 60s.
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Hm. Girl I haven't seen for five months just messaged me and said "Hey! I'm married. And pregnant."

You can hook up with her with no worries then.

You can hook up with her with no worries then.

I'm not into fatties.
    2ezikn6.jpg

There is the problem that very often the realization on the part of the military class that such changes have occurred (and the development of new methods of organizing war) often lags behind the change. By a lot.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson

There is the problem that very often the realization on the part of the military class that such changes have occurred (and the development of new methods of organizing war) often lags behind the change. By a lot.

it's a fictional setting with supposedly centuries of stasis!

the ruling class that the books / movies focus on have been stagnant yeah. But those dirty peasants could well be "inventing" things and being all "productive" in the background totally unbeknownst to them.

the ruling class that the books / movies focus on have been stagnant yeah. But those dirty peasants could well be "inventing" things and being all "productive" in the background totally unbeknownst to them.

it only took about a millenia for humanity to deforest most of Europe and plant mills and mines all over the place

it only took about a millenia for humanity to deforest most of Europe and plant mills and mines all over the place

depends on where you start counting though.

If you start looking at things around the 8th century then it's all up up up the ziggaraught zippity quick.

But that comes after a period of about 600 or 700 years of constant, sometimes rapid, population decline in the same region. It took a little while for the problems of a constantly dropping population to trickle upwards (the Western Roman Empire was still generally considered to be doing ok when it started) but once it began the collapse was inevitable.

There have been extensive periods in human history where progress was just not an option (see also: 12th-6th centuries BCE in the eastern Mediterranean)
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/05/03/national/girl-group-bases-style-on-nikkei-ups-and-downs/#.UYdOFrVmiSr

Kanon Mori, Yuki Sakura, Hinako Kuroki and Jun Amaki have been following the Nikkei 225 stock average obsessively since Prime Minister Shinzo Abe took office in December. The oldest of the foursome is Mori, but she is still only 23. The youngest is Kuroki, 16 and still in high school.

None of them are studying for a degree in economics, let alone playing the stock market. Instead, the four are members of a new idol group, Machikado Keiki Japan, and stocks play an important part in their performances.

“We base our costumes on the price of the Nikkei average of the day. For example, when the index falls below 10,000 points, we go on stage with really long skirts,” Mori explained.

The higher stocks rise, the shorter their dresses get. With the Nikkei index ending above 13,000, the four went without skirts altogether on the day of their interview with The Japan Times, instead wearing only lacy shorts.

“Fix the yen’s appreciation. Quantitative easing. Don’t forget public investment,” a line in the dance-pop tune goes. “Monetary easing. Construction bonds. Let’s just revise the Bank of Japan Law.”
    2ezikn6.jpg
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    i can't sleep

fuck
    I may have wandered off in that last post. Been dranking some wine.
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i can't sleep

fuck

:(

this is the worst thing
    Re: Westeros, the weird season/climate cycle may very well play a disruptive role in tech development, and the ebb of magic may have done something similar. Consider the peak oil doomsday scenarios for the latter. I'm not sure of a good analogy for the former.
    2ezikn6.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, one of the big things I'm struggling with is figuring out if I want to stay in Montana anymore. I've always felt out of step here, and it's just been getting more and more acute as of late.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Can't remember girl's name and think I entered the wrong name into my phone. Woops.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i can't sleep

fuck

Sometimes going away and reading for half an hour helps.

But : (
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    So, one of the big things I'm struggling with is figuring out if I want to stay in Montana anymore. I've always felt out of step here, and it's just been getting more and more acute as of late.

I honestly think, with what little I know of your situation, that that would be best for you.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Re: Westeros, the weird season/climate cycle may very well play a disruptive role in tech development, and the ebb of magic may have done something similar. Consider the peak oil doomsday scenarios for the latter. I'm not sure of a good analogy for the former.

Dragons haven't been in the ground for 65 million years ok

Humans and dragons coexisted in the near past! Creationism is real and oil was planted there by the Seven to fuel the greatest Realm ever

DUH

depends on where you start counting though.

If you start looking at things around the 8th century then it's all up up up the ziggaraught zippity quick.

But that comes after a period of about 600 or 700 years of constant, sometimes rapid, population decline in the same region. It took a little while for the problems of a constantly dropping population to trickle upwards (the Western Roman Empire was still generally considered to be doing ok when it started) but once it began the collapse was inevitable.

There have been extensive periods in human history where progress was just not an option (see also: 12th-6th centuries BCE in the eastern Mediterranean)

yes - if you take Essos and its grasslands and said that it was stagnant, I would be fine with that. Grasslands that surround the occasional city have been the status quo of human history since civilization became fashionable

but a medieval world is not a terribly stable one. It hurtles toward industry.
This discussion has been closed.