Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Couscous wrote: »
    I'
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I dare anyone to say "F*** the police" when looking at the future generation of public order officers

article-2050367-0E6BFD7700000578-47_964x378.jpg

They will obey their racist masters and get a surprisingly high amount of hits on black and latino people.

But but Alsatian puppies

I may be a bit biased here, given yesterday I spent five minutes watching a stranger play fetch with his Alsatian pup in the local park.

Also, British police dogs probably have their own prejudices, that don't include Latinos
    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    why are those titans such a huge threat

I've read the wiki synopsis

why don't we just y'know

shoot them
    like was said they regenerate unless you blow through their neck, but I get the complaint, in the show they've got like a few dozen cannons

Given the extent of the threat you would assume they would build absolutely goddamn enormous cannons at various points on the wall that could be turned

or like, giant spiked pits or something at least. this is explainable enough by the government not being all that bright I suppose

Has it even been explained how the walls were built in the comic yet?

Because until it is, I'm guessing the walls were built by fucking magic and that's why there's only cannons on the top.

Well in the comic spikes along the walls seem to be pretty effective since most of the giants are dumb as a sack of rocks

Deep pits with spikes and bridges for foot traffic and other passive defenses seem like they'd be way more effective against a dumb foe (once immobilized commence with the stabby)

But the same can be said about the entirety of zombie fiction so

Now that i think about it, didn't they dig some trenches right in front of the wall? I remember that the cannons can aim straight down off the walls, though. And they often do...
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    today's Whomp.

AAAAAaaaahhhhh

A public service announcement concerning the dangers of GIS.
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    go to shows

it is basically the only way artists make money

also they are fun

I was lucky enough to see Devin Townsend on Saturday and it was the most fun I've had in ages!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sDc233bOKM

Not my thing. I like live music, but don't like going to concerts for hours. A live band in a bar or restaurant is pretty much my speed.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    over the next six weeks, I'll be seeing

Mastodon, Slayer, Tame Impala, The Postal Service, Fucked Up, Grizzly Bear, Simian Mobile Disco, Animal Collective, Om, Daughter, Neurosis, Swans, The Knife, Liars, Wu-Tang, Nick Cave, My Bloody Valentine, James Blake, HEALTH, Crystal Castles, Primal Scream, Four Tet, Hot Chip, The xx

I am excite
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Is the forum broken right now or is it just because I'm at work on IE?
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeah limited resources seems like a legit reason

basically everyone's like "olol the titans aren't a threat anymore" then by the time their shit gets wrecked now they are struggling to just feed everyone and can't exactly fill the inner ring of the town with crazy defenses
    why are those titans such a huge threat

I've read the wiki synopsis

why don't we just y'know

shoot them
    like was said they regenerate unless you blow through their neck, but I get the complaint, in the show they've got like a few dozen cannons

Given the extent of the threat you would assume they would build absolutely goddamn enormous cannons at various points on the wall that could be turned

or like, giant spiked pits or something at least. this is explainable enough by the government not being all that bright I suppose

Has it even been explained how the walls were built in the comic yet?

Because until it is, I'm guessing the walls were built by fucking magic and that's why there's only cannons on the top.

Well in the comic spikes along the walls seem to be pretty effective since most of the giants are dumb as a sack of rocks

Deep pits with spikes and bridges for foot traffic and other passive defenses seem like they'd be way more effective against a dumb foe (once immobilized commence with the stabby)

But the same can be said about the entirety of zombie fiction so

Now that i think about it, didn't they dig some trenches right in front of the wall? I remember that the cannons can aim straight down off the walls, though. And they often do...

Yea but they were like, 20 feet deep, and just one layer

these humans suck, but it looks like as of the most recent episode they're going to be extinct by episode 10 anyway what with basically everyone dying immediately after 4 episodes of buildup

Edit: I guess my complaint is shared by the protagonist, the humans of this world are taking fuckall proactive measures for their survival and being super passive about this whole titan thing. It's actually a plot point that very few people are trying to come up with active ways to prevail against them
    override367 on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I bought a ceasar chicken wrap from sainsburys.

One half of it contains nothing but lettuce.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    walking dead, sorta trying to be... I dunno, smart zombie fiction, was still annoying with how apparently zombies are somehow not very, very easily stopped

by say

a chain-link fence

some spools of razor wire

guns

a door

but no they overrun the military somehow.
    xlh6c3.png
    walking dead, sorta trying to be... I dunno, smart zombie fiction, was still annoying with how apparently zombies are somehow not very, very easily stopped

by say

a chain-link fence

guns

a door

Zombie stories don't really work if they can be stopped with a snap of the fingers.

It's unrealistic, yeah, but so is the whole zombie premise in the first place.
    I hate zombie stuff. It's so boring. I can't even bring myself to watch the waking dead, because zombies are so dumb.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    give me the leadership of your weird ring-walled city

and I shall not only make it impregnable I will eradicate the titans

the answer: artillery.

also why is it called attack on titan that is a really poor name
    xlh6c3.png
    huh I got 9 minutes to write a 2 page essay I forgot about

but it's for political science and its about income inequality, so this should be a cake walk
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    7QagnNI.jpg
    turtlesig.jpg
    I'
    I dare anyone to say "F*** the police" when looking at the future generation of public order officers

They will obey their racist masters and get a surprisingly high amount of hits on black and latino people.

My sister's dog is a massive racist.

Not really, but she is freaked out by long flowing garments for some reason, especially if they're brightly coloured, so if you're out walking her and happen across a lady in a sari she goes mental.

but it's for political science and its about income inequality, so this should be a cake walk

Just cut and paste from "the difficulty of understanding how other people live"

I hate zombie stuff. It's so boring. I can't even bring myself to watch the waking dead, because zombies are so dumb.

21 days later was a good zombie movie because the zombies were not the primary threat, and they didn't wipe out the military (and razor wire appears to be a pretty hard counter to zombies in it)

in all other zombie fiction the military just fights them in a stand still battle and gets overrun completely forgetting that they're capable of both moving and building fortifications

Basically in every zombie story, ESPECIALLY world war Z, everyone takes pills of profound stupidity

by say

a chain-link fence

guns

a door

Zombie stories don't really work if they can be stopped with a snap of the fingers.

nonono

just because the initial bit of the premise is unrealistic does not mean nothing else has to be.

some magic makes zombies. Okay. Let's accept this.

That doesn't mean that extremely basic physics shouldn't be like in reality

or that humans shouldn't act like actual people

which is the main reason I didn't watch beyond season 1. Holy motherfucking shit everybody is so retarded in walking dead. shut the fuck up! Stop screaming at each other! Holy fucking shit you are annoying! Also feed that woman to the godamned zombies!
    xlh6c3.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    They just needed to choose a part of the population with some minor trait and then persecute them so they can use them as slave labor in death camps. That should cut down on the feeding problem and help solve the resource problem.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    My landlord's dog apparently was a bit racist, which he had not been aware of until he purchased the house I now live on, which at the time, pre gentrification, was principally West Indian. He said he had far too many close shaves
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!

This post just consumed one of your nine minutes.
    japan wrote: »
    I'

My sister's dog is a massive racist.

Not really, but she is freaked out by long flowing garments for some reason, especially if they're brightly coloured, so if you're out walking her and happen across a lady in a sari she goes mental.

All dogs are racist. It is known.

that's good because walking dead isn't actually a good entry into the genre.
    xlh6c3.png
    They just needed to choose a part of the population with some minor trait and then persecute them so they can use them as slave labor in death camps. That should cut down on the feeding problem and help solve the resource problem.

conscription. Send people out titan-hunting.
    xlh6c3.png
    There is the whole overwhelming thing with zombies, which makes some degree of sense, but most zombie fiction uses it lazily.
    All humans holing up in a city seems like a really stupid idea if the city isn't going to do much good.
    send people out walking in titan-country with the biggest bombs men can carry strapped to their backs.

wait to be eaten.
    xlh6c3.png
    There is the whole overwhelming thing with zombies, which makes some degree of sense, but most zombie fiction uses it lazily.

chain-link fence.

doors.
    xlh6c3.png

Uh...

Have you watched the show?

They literally do that.
    They conscript the refugees from the fall of the first wall and they all die.

Uh...

Have you watched the show?

They literally do that.
    They conscript the refugees from the fall of the first wall and they all die.

no I haven't watched the show. Don't want to.
    xlh6c3.png
    send people out walking in titan-country with the biggest bombs men can carry strapped to their backs.

wait to be eaten.

Assuming that the Titans aren't that intelligent, they could just ring the walls with kamikazes and hope the titans go for them first.

wait to be eaten.

That is an absurd waste of resources when you consider the resources necessary to kill titans by hand.

AND THE FACT THAT RESOURCES ARE VERY LIMITED.

by say

a chain-link fence

guns

a door

nonono

just because the initial bit of the premise is unrealistic does not mean nothing else has to be.

which is the main reason I didn't watch beyond season 1. Holy motherfucking shit everybody is so retarded in walking dead. shut the fuck up! Stop screaming at each other! Holy fucking shit you are annoying! Also feed that woman to the godamned zombies!

But it's necessary for the story to work.

Realistically, if there was a zombie attack, it would be quarantined and stop growing shortly after becoming big enough for authorities to act, and then would either be killed by the military or dead of natural causes shortly after that. That doesn't really make an interesting story. So in addition to the first assumption, that zombies are real, you have to make a second, that they then cause a zombie apocalypse. That's part of the very basic requirements for any but the most limited zombie stories to work well.
    Why isn't the answer to all zombie attacks to barricade yourself in a Costco or something? You'll never run out of food, and those places don't even have windows, just doors you can complete close.

• DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

This post just consumed one of your nine minutes.

There's a lawyer on this page. The post actually cost him 6 minutes.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

wait to be eaten.

That is an absurd waste of resources when you consider the resources necessary to kill titans by hand.

AND THE FACT THAT RESOURCES ARE VERY LIMITED.

Then you kind of run into the problem of how it ever got to that point when there should be fresh supplies of kamikazes for a while.

by say

a chain-link fence

guns

a door

nonono

But it's necessary for the story to work.

Realistically, if there was a zombie attack, it would be quarantined and stop growing shortly after becoming big enough for authorities to act, and then would either be killed by the military or dead of natural causes shortly after that. That doesn't really make an interesting story. So in addition to the first assumption, that zombies are real, you have to make a second, that they then cause a zombie apocalypse. That's part of the very basic requirements for any but the most limited zombie stories to work well.

and it's something that is quite the weakness for those stories.
    xlh6c3.png
    Why isn't the answer to all zombie attacks to barricade yourself in a Costco or something? You'll never run out of food, and those places don't even have windows, just doors you can complete close.

Yeah but it doesn't have wifi so how can I [chat]?
    edited May 2013
    how does the zombie infection spread between cities anyway

also my country is zombie-proof

I'm in the neighbouring county of the one I grew up in

going home for a visit takes five hours with bus and two ferries.
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png

And yet neither appears to stock guns for some reason.
This discussion has been closed.