Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    For me the ranking is now

Avengers
    Iron Man 3
    Iron Man
    Captain America
    Thor
    Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2

And I like Iron Man 2 a good deal!
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Saw the Lone Ranger trailer brought up in the last thread. All I can muster up to say about it is a incredulous 'yeaaaaaaaah'.

if they had gotten an actual native american actor I would have gone to see it because I love silly westerns

but johnny depp in redface is not something I will ever give any of my dollars to

Appearently Johnny Depp is 1/18 crow indian or some such, they offered him the title role and he was like "No way, I want to be of my people"

Celebrities man
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Also it blows my mind that by the time Avengers 2 comes out we will have nearly, if not over, 24 hours of Marvel Superhero movies that are all part of the same universe and can be watched in chronological order.
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Saw the Lone Ranger trailer brought up in the last thread. All I can muster up to say about it is a incredulous 'yeaaaaaaaah'.

if they had gotten an actual native american actor I would have gone to see it because I love silly westerns

but johnny depp in redface is not something I will ever give any of my dollars to

Appearently Johnny Depp is 1/18 crow indian or some such, they offered him the title role and he was like "No way, I want to be of my people"

Celebrities man

I don't really know how to feel about this.

Have any Native American authorities or agencies chimed in about it?
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Also it blows my mind that by the time Avengers 2 comes out we will have nearly, if not over, 24 hours of Marvel Superhero movies that are all part of the same universe and can be watched in chronological order.

Man, I was thinking about this earlier today

When The Avengers hit, a lot of theaters did all-day screenings that included the first five Marvel films and then The Avengers at midnight

I hope

I hope

That when The Avengers 2 hits, some theaters are crazy enough to do two-day pass tickets where all the Phase One movies are on the first day, followed by Phase Two on the second
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
    I'll be happy just for a Phase 2 showing.

But I'm betting the places around us just do avengers.
    detail-1.jpg
    Having gone to one of those pre Avengers all day marathons

God I hope so

It was a goddamn blast
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Fucking so jealous

I wasn't able to swing that day off

Saw The Dark Knight marathon though and that was incredible
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    My friend's dad owns a Mexican place in the same shopping center as the theatre

So while everyone else had concessions she would run across the parking lot during the 20 minute intermissions and sneak in some dope enchiladas or street style tacos

It was heaven
    Nice

Theater I was at was joined to a mall

So after each of the movies, it was just a swarm of people exiting the theater and completely flooding the food court, and leaving after ten or fifteen minutes

I felt so awful for the workers there

But not awful enough that I didn't grab some Sbarro's
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Don't forget about the TV show.. that'll probably add another couple days to the list.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular
    i think it would have been cool to see some ancient fu manchu guy with magic rings and fingernail claws up on the big screen and i think it could easily be justified within the logic of the marvel movie universe

i also really liked the movie we actually got
    edited May 2013
    I'm just now realizing some stuff that was left out from the trailers

SPOILERS
    Both being Mandarin lines, both addressing Tony directly

One about "today being the first day of what's left of your life"

And "the choice to live an empty life or die with meaning"

Part of the whole misdirection, you think?
    UnbreakableVow on
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    That reminds me...
    So, whatever happened to that Roxxon executive? Apparently they didn't let the Mandarin have real guns, so he probably didn't die from the gunshot.. And Trevor apparently had no clue they were actually killing people, so I wonder how they dragged him off set without Trevor wondering WTF? Or maybe he was just too drugged up to care.

Also, they're pretty lucky Trevor didn't get a giggle fit at some point.
    That reminds me...
    So, whatever happened to that Roxxon executive? Apparently they didn't let the Mandarin have real guns, so he probably didn't die from the gunshot.. And Trevor apparently had no clue they were actually killing people, so I wonder how they dragged him off set without Trevor wondering WTF? Or maybe he was just too drugged up to care.

Also, they're pretty lucky Trevor didn't get a giggle fit at some point.

SPOILERS
    Pretty sure Trevor said that it was an act when Tony referenced the "killing people"

Trevor likely thought he meant the "hostage"
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Celebrities man
    Johnny needs to lay off the coke
    Nothing wrong with being proud of part of your heritage, even if it's not the majority share

I self-identify as Italian even though I'm only quarter
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Wearing red face makeup is really not proudly displaying your heiritage.

I...

is that what were calling this tonto.jpg

Or did I miss something?
    detail-1.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Well, let me put it this way.
    I really wanted to see the Mandarin in this movie. They advertised a toned down, but still potentially interesting Mandarin for this movie.

Instead we got a comedic twist, and Aldrich Killian yelling "I AM THE MANDARIN."

No.. No you are not. You're Aldrich Killian. You already had your own thing going on as a character, putting some dragon tattoos on you and making you the secret puppet master doesn't make you the Mandarin.

Movie was still good; but I would have rather they played it more straight in regards to a character I really wanted to see on the big screen. Instead we either got "the mandarin doesn't exist" or tacking on qualities of him onto a completely unrelated character.

Like I said, I still liked the movie, and I like the twist despite itself, but I can totally see why people would be mad over this.
    actually, since they say he is, he is. in the marvel movies, the Mandarin is Killian. He is because they say he is, and that is the only thing that matters.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg

I...

is that what were calling this tonto.jpg

Or did I miss something?

I thought someone mentioned he was wearing redface earlier in the thread

If that's not the case I remove my objections
    Langly wrote: »
    Well, let me put it this way.
    I really wanted to see the Mandarin in this movie. They advertised a toned down, but still potentially interesting Mandarin for this movie.

Instead we got a comedic twist, and Aldrich Killian yelling "I AM THE MANDARIN."

No.. No you are not. You're Aldrich Killian. You already had your own thing going on as a character, putting some dragon tattoos on you and making you the secret puppet master doesn't make you the Mandarin.

Movie was still good; but I would have rather they played it more straight in regards to a character I really wanted to see on the big screen. Instead we either got "the mandarin doesn't exist" or tacking on qualities of him onto a completely unrelated character.

Like I said, I still liked the movie, and I like the twist despite itself, but I can totally see why people would be mad over this.
    actually, since they say he is, he is. in the marvel movies, the Mandarin is Killian. He is because they say he is, and that is the only thing that matters.
    Considering the conversation is "Why are people mad about this" I'd say that no, what Marvel says isn't the only thing that matters. People have opinions on things, and those opinions likely matter a great deal to those who have them.

Celebrities man

you can hardly throw a rock and not hit someone born in America who has several generations of American heritage who is not at least partially native American. My great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. That doesn't make me Cherokee. I wasn't raised in that ethnicity, culturally, and I don't represent them as a people. Ethnicity is a nebulous and complex business, but I feel comfortable saying that simply because you have a 1/16th connection to one doesn't give you the unassailable right to represent that ethnicity.

There's a difference between saying "I have a small amount of Native American heritage and I am proud of that," and "I'm going to wear this crow on my head in a movie"
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular

Celebrities man

Yes and it was filmed here
    A.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Johnny Depp pretending to be native american isn't even in the top five reasons I won't be seeing Lone Ranger
    saiyan2.jpg
    Comanche adoption

Depp was adopted as an honorary son by LaDonna Harris, a member of the Comanche Nation, on May 22, 2012; this makes him an honorary member of Harris's family, but not an enrolled member of the Nation.[85] Harris, president of Americans for Indian Opportunity, invited him to join her family after hearing he would be portraying the role of Tonto as a Comanche in The Lone Ranger, a feature film scheduled for 2013 release. The ceremony took place at Harris’s home; Comanche Nation Tribal Administrator Johnny Wauqua was in attendance. Depp was presented with gifts by the family, which he then presented to the attendees, as per tradition.[85]

Controversy arose over both the adoption and Depp's portrayal of a Native American character,[85] as Depp was not raised in, nor has confirmable ancestry from, a Native American community, though he has said he "guesses" he may have some distant Cherokee or Creek ancestry.[10] Some have wondered why he has not verified his Native American ancestry with the Cherokee or any tribe when the information is easily available.[86] His comment that if you're Native American, "you have to think, somewhere along the line, I’m the product of some horrific rape" was believed by many Indians to be ignorant and insensitive.[87] On the original Lone Ranger radio show, Tonto was identified as being from the Potawatomi tribe.[88]
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Jesus shit
    saiyan2.jpg
    Although your heritage being easy to track isn't really true, especially as regards being Native American. Like I said, I know for certain that my grandmother was full blooded Cherokee, but it's also family knowledge that all of her documents were destroyed because it wasn't too great to be one of those in Texas, especially in a mixed marriage.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Furu wrote: »
    Jesus shit

He pooped for your sins?
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    I mean normally I'm all for keeping things close to the source material and spirit of the character but
    when the character is an inherently racist concept who hasn't really had a noteworthy storyline in decades
    I think wiggle room is warrented

I wouldn't go that far since Fraction capped his iron man run with like a 20 issue Mandarin epic (that also managed to smartly eschew all the racist stuff)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I also had no problem with the movie portrayal, I should say
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BeastehBeasteh RIP BIG CHRIZZLERegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    this is the first movie in years i've happily paid to see twice
    Beasteh on
    I can totally
    Understand people who say "I wanted to see the comics version of the Mandarin on the big screen" I just can't get passed people who were ok with Kingsley's portrayal but mad at this for not "being the comic Mandarin" because Kingsley was either.
    detail-1.jpg
    edited May 2013
    I would enjoy Tonto being played by say this guy.
    King Riptor on
  • glithertglithert The richest duck in the world Duckburg, CalisotaRegistered User regular
    Lone Ranger basically looks like Pirates of the Caribbean except worse, with the Lone Ranger and Captain Jack Sparrow as Tonto
    beagleboys_zpsef7ae967.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »
    Lone Ranger basically looks like Pirates of the Caribbean except worse, with the Lone Ranger and Captain Jack Sparrow as Tonto

I have never seen Pirates of the Caribbean but I agree it looks really campy
    A.jpg
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    I'm a DC fan (and a Marvel one too, we abominations do exist) and I didn't care for The Dark Knight Rises. It's servicable, but a poor follow up to DK, and I didn't really end up liking Nolan's take on Batman. I think the DCAU is just about perfect, and going from a Bruce that says "I know I'm not crazy because I don't call myself 'Bruce' in my head" to a guy who immediately quits being Batman after experiencing his first real tangible consequence for being Batman just kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Maybe I'm shallow, but I don't come to this stuff to see if the hero will ultimately free himself from being the hero. I come to this stuff to see heroes. To see people in costumes beat up other people in costumes for melodramatic fantastical reasons.

I have hopes for Man of Steel. Superman is and always will be my favorite guy, but I want the DC film universe to take clues from the MCU in more ways than just tying the universe together. Good things are being said about the tone for MoS, so I'm looking forward to it.

I get all these movies on blu ray anyway, because I lubs me some superheroes.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • WheatBun01WheatBun01 Registered User regular
    When I think of "Following movie canon", I can't help but think of this: (Mildly NSFW Iron Man Comic Spoilers/Incredibly Homoerotic Undertones in link)

http://eruthros.dreamwidth.org/333317.html
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm a DC fan (and a Marvel one too, we abominations do exist) and I didn't care for The Dark Knight Rises. It's servicable, but a poor follow up to DK, and I didn't really end up liking Nolan's take on Batman. I think the DCAU is just about perfect, and going from a Bruce that says "I know I'm not crazy because I don't call myself 'Bruce' in my head" to a guy who immediately quits being Batman after experiencing his first real tangible consequence for being Batman just kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Maybe I'm shallow, but I don't come to this stuff to see if the hero will ultimately free himself from being the hero. I come to this stuff to see heroes. To see people in costumes beat up other people in costumes for melodramatic fantastical reasons.

I have hopes for Man of Steel. Superman is and always will be my favorite guy, but I want the DC film universe to take clues from the MCU in more ways than just tying the universe together. Good things are being said about the tone for MoS, so I'm looking forward to it.

I get all these movies on blu ray anyway, because I lubs me some superheroes.

I like the Nolan films, but as you said, the idea of a Batman who stops being Batman out of choice is... tough to accept. Nolan's Batman is very, VERY different from that of the comics, and you have to know that going in.