Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• ToxTox I kill threads Let Piggy Chimp decideRegistered User regular
    Re: the Mandarin
    I think the only fair critique isn't that they should have used a chinese actor or something, because the way I see it, they didn't actually use the character of the Mandarin. They used the name, and they borrowed from the character concept, but that wasn't really the Mandarin from the comics in any major way. And while you're being critical of that, I think it's fair to point out that using the character name was really just to help feed the set up for the big reveal.

Also on that reveal, I haven't seen a lot of stuff with Kingsley in it, so I was literally just like, "Wait why does the Mandarin sound like Russell Brand?
    3h5Wc.png
    Secret Satans! Post | D&D Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Adus wrote: »
    Saw it yesterday. Loved it.
    Guy Pearce is awesome. I was worried he'd have a small role and would be under-utilized in favor of The Mandarin, so the way it turned out was very satisfying.

Ben Kingsley killed it. When they first started showing all the terrorist stuff, I felt it really heavy clumsy and not very creative. Maybe that should have been my first clue since these movies are usually a bit smarter than that. I still didn't expect the reveal at all, though, and it was hilarious.

I was worried at first when Tony started teaming up with the kid, but each time I was about to roll my eyes at it, they turn it around. Like when the kid was going on about his dad leaving, and having Tony coldly reply "It happens. Dad's leave. Don't have to be a pussy about it." So good. Then when I was afraid the kid was gonna tag along with him, and tries to guilt trip, and Tony just throws it back in his face. "You're cold? Know how I can tell? Cause we're connected!" as he drives off.

Nice to see Pepper kick some ass. Gwenyth Paltrow looks really good still.

It was worth a shot.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    Marth wrote: »
    Iron Man 2 is worth watching for Sam Rockwell alone

Sam Rockwell was so good as the confident jerk.

That character type is probably my favorite in storytelling.

I could not stand him

The entire time he was around I kept thinking "How does this manchild own his own fucking company?"

I don't like when a film includes a villain character with zero redeeming qualities whatsoever. They may as well just have a cardboard cutout that has "PETTY BAD GUY" written on it in the scene instead and it'd have about the same affect on me.
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
  • NocrenNocren Still AwesomeRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Iron Man 2 is still good.

It's just in extremely good company, which makes it look worse by comparison.

Kinda like Ghostbusters.

I've seen 2 more often then 1 thanks to Comedy Central airing it fairly frequently and on it's own... it's good.

But next to the first one? Not so much.

Anyway, gonna see IM3 again tomorrow with my friends. Hope they'll all enjoy it.

newSig.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    One of my film buddies, whose opinions I usually respect, really hated this, which confuses and saddens me
    Words he used include lazy, nonsensical, and tasteless
  • WheatBun01WheatBun01 Registered User regular
    I've had a single friend rant incessantly about how the ruined "canon" I guess with the big twist, which is pretty frustrating. I just consider Marvel Movieverse and Comicverse their own thing, I didn't really feel like they were "shitting on canon" Or anything like that.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    One of my film buddies, whose opinions I usually respect, really hated this, which confuses and saddens me

..."tasteless"?

..."tasteless"?

That's what I just asked him about and he said that (spoilers I guess)
    he was uncomfortable with the use of war vets and their associated physical disabilities, PTSD and high suicide rates as throwaway plot devices in a comic book movie

which I can totally understand being uncomfortable with
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular

..."tasteless"?

he was uncomfortable with the use of war vets and their associated physical disabilities, PTSD and high suicide rates as throwaway plot devices in a comic book movie

I can understand that as well, personally I saw it more as
    in regards to the war vets, these poor people with physical disabilities being taken advantage of especially in regards to how badly Extremist seems to affect your psyche. I certainly made me hate Killian more after seeing the video interviews with them like Brandt and how much they were changed and altered because of one man's greed.
    daft2.gif
    edited May 2013
    Gatsby wrote: »

..."tasteless"?

I can understand that as well, personally I saw it more as
    in regards to the war vets, these poor people with physical disabilities being taken advantage of especially in regards to how badly Extremist seems to affect your psyche. I certainly made me hate Killian more after seeing the video interviews with them like Brandt and how much they were changed and altered because of one man's greed.

Also
    The end with Pepper kind of reinforces that. She even lampshades it by stopping and commenting how out of character for her that was. That's how quickly it can take affect. Add in to that (I think it was James Badge Dale that said in an interview) the fact that you're basically immortal, so that erodes on your soul a bit as well. Because now there's basically no consequences.
    Tox on
    3h5Wc.png
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I've had a single friend rant incessantly about how the ruined "canon" I guess with the big twist, which is pretty frustrating. I just consider Marvel Movieverse and Comicverse their own thing, I didn't really feel like they were "shitting on canon" Or anything like that.

the movieverse and comicverse are definitely pretty different
    but at the same time, it's kind of like when Bane showed up in Batman & Robin as a mindless slave for Poison Ivy. it's kind of a huge change, and I can understand why people might be irritated about it... but in the end, it was still a good movie.

the movieverse and comicverse are definitely pretty different
    but at the same time, it's kind of like when Bane showed up in Batman & Robin as a mindless slave for Poison Ivy. it's kind of a huge change, and I can understand why people might be irritated about it... but in the end, it was still a good movie.

Again I think the takeaway from that should be
    they didn't really use the character of the Mandarin. Just the name. Neither Killian nor Kingsley really resemble the Mandarin from the comics. Killian just used it as a generic "titlename" for a terrorist.
    3h5Wc.png
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Ymir owns. He fucking owns!Registered User regular
    bottom line they through out fidelity to the comics with positive results, something they really need to do from time to time with these movies
    bottom line they through out fidelity to the comics with positive results, something they really need to do from time to time with these movies

Well and I really think it paid off, which is very, very good. The best result from taking this big of a risk is for it to pay off as well as it seems to be.
    3h5Wc.png
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • glithertglithert The richest duck in the world Duckburg, CalisotaRegistered User regular

The marvel cinematic universe is totally an alternate earth in the marvel multiverse. I think it's earth-19999 or some number similar to that.
    beagleboys_zpsef7ae967.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Isn't shitting all over "canon" the very essence of comic books?
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
    glithert wrote: »

The marvel cinematic universe is totally an alternate earth in the marvel multiverse. I think it's earth-19999 or some number similar to that.

Yup!

The Marvel Handbook is very thorough with mapping out their alternate dimensions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse_(Marvel_Comics)
    Earth-10005 - The X-Men film series, as given by the Marvel Comics Database.
    Earth-96283 - The Spider-Man film series, as given by the Marvel Comics Database. This does not include the 2012 reboot.
    Earth-121698 - The Fantastic Four film series, as given by the Marvel Comics Database.
    Earth-199999 - The Marvel Cinematic Universe, covering the Iron Man film series, Thor, The Incredible Hulk (2008), Captain America and the Avengers. Anything spinning off of or relating to the Avengers is likely to be within this universe. The number is given in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe.
    Earth-120703 - The Amazing Spider-Man film, and its sequels, as given by the Marvel Comics Database.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Where's Daredevil/Elektra
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    That would be Earth-701306.
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    gkTeedq.jpg
    Chris Pratt gettin swole for Starlord
    Ha, the Evil Dead universe is officially Earth-818793 in the Marvel Multiverse.

in the garbage where they belong
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Earth-5724: Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.E.I.L.D.
    Earth-10005: X-Men Movies
    Earth-26320: Blade Movies
    Earth-58460: Man-Thing
    Earth-58470: Howard the Duck
    Earth-58627: Punisher 1989 Movie
    Earth-58732: Punisher 2004 Movie
    Earth-94000: Fantastic Four 1994 Movie
    Earth-96173: Dr. Strange
    Earth-96283: Raimi Spider-Man Movies
    Earth-120703: Amazing Spider-Man
    Earth-121347: Ghost Rider Movies
    Earth-121698: Fantastic Four Movies
    Earth-199999: Marvel Cinematic Universe
    Earth-400005: Incredible Hulk TV Series & Made for TV Movies
    Earth-400083: Hulk 2003
    Earth-600001: Captain America 1944 Movie Serial
    Earth-600043: Captain America 1979 Movies
    Earth-697064: Captain America 1990 Movie
    Earth-701306: Daredevil/Elektra Movies

Couldn't fine one for Punisher: War Zone, strangely
    Undead Scottsman on
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I talked a friend who only found this okay. He said the twist was telegraphed from the first scene, and this all just felt like mediorce excuse to set up for the next Avengers.

Now Superman that's a movie he's excited for.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan~
    DC fans
    NeoToma on
    PartyPat.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    What the hell is this setting up for the next Avengers? Most people I've seen were surprised about how little this movie actually built towards anything upcoming.

in the garbage where they belong

:cry:
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    I want a comic story where somebody visits the Earth of Hasselhoff Nick Fury.
  • DHSDHS Registered User regular
    Not enough love for the guy who stole the Movie:

Random Guard:
    Mandarin's Guard: [after Tony Stark incapacitates almost all Mandarin guards, the last one quickly surrenders] Don't shoot! Seriously, I don't even wanna work for them. They are so weird!
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    What

that is incredibly dumb
    Killian being all Extremis'd, yeah okay. But the Mandarin being an actor and Killian being the true mastermind? He saw that coming? Bulllllshit.
    It's telegraphed from the "No direct eye contact, if you don't want your head blown off."

I mean, it's not the 'first scene of the movie' and it's not exactly obvious telegraphing, but there are little things.
    What

that is incredibly dumb
    Killian being all Extremis'd, yeah okay. But the Mandarin being an actor and Killian being the true mastermind? He saw that coming? Bulllllshit.
    It's telegraphed from the "No direct eye contact, if you don't want your head blown off."

I mean, it's not the 'first scene of the movie' and it's not exactly obvious telegraphing, but there are little things.
    How the fuck is that telegraphing? There is no reason for anyone to assume anything out of that, other than the Mandarin is an asshole.
    What

that is incredibly dumb

How the fuck is that telegraphing? There is no reason for anyone to assume anything out of that, other than the Mandarin is an asshole.
    I am not saying the line exactly right, but the way it's phrased in the movie and the general way Guy Pearce's character acted kinda said 'Actor.' I chuckled to myself thinking "Oh, like cause he's an actor on a stage" double entendre but hey, that's exactly how he meant it!

It's not impossible to guess once you see the sets. The dude hates America is being guided in by two skimpy girls, living in America, doing his speeches from a sound stage?

It was a well done way for hiding it for most people, but it's not impossible to figure it out. I didn't figure it out.
  • existexist Registered User regular
    i had it figured out around the third or fourth trailer that played before the movie started, personally
    UmPiq.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    What

that is incredibly dumb

I am not saying the line exactly right, but the way it's phrased in the movie and the general way Guy Pearce's character acted kinda said 'Actor.' I chuckled to myself thinking "Oh, like cause he's an actor on a stage" double entendre but hey, that's exactly how he meant it!

It's not impossible to guess once you see the sets. The dude hates America is being guided in by two skimpy girls, living in America, doing his speeches from a sound stage?

It was a well done way for hiding it for most people, but it's not impossible to figure it out. I didn't figure it out.
    I heard from my mom that she guessed it.

Of course, this is useful information in finding the kind of person who does, she'd avoided all spoilers and promo information for the film, and didn't know the comics on the relevant points. So, a lot of the very effective smokescreen they were running? Completely missed.
    2MyOx.png