Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    so i cant wait til tomorrow and Nov 1st

http://youtu.be/0OHtH_RWnZE

The enemy's gate is down.

I was going to say there is a thread for this but if you actually want to discuss the movie that is maybe not the best place.
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    You're Harrison Ford?! WOOOOAAAAHH
  • TurambarTurambar Registered User regular
    I was completely off with my pre-movie predictions
    With Mandarin in the trailers being all "no more heroes" and anti-Avengers etc I figured he had been given the Ten Rings by Thanos or something
    Like Thanos wanted the heroes removed before he took his revenge on earth, so he gave advanced alien technology to a terrorist in exchange for him taking out the superheroes

But nope, not even close
    avengers_sig.png
    Origin: Turamb | Steam: Turambar | last.fm
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    BigBear wrote: »
    Something I kind of realized about the villian:
    In the comics, Mandarin's Ten Rings are pretty much magic, right?

I'm just speculating here, but I think that could be, in addition to all the racist stuff, one of the reasons we didn't get a Mandarin close to the comics.

I don't think magic has been officially confirmed as being a thing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I mean, yeah, you have Thor and Asgard and all that, but it's been left intentionally ambiguous whether or not the beings that inhabit Asgard are magical, powerful gods, or super-intelligent aliens with really advanced technology.

Also, a big theme in the Iron Man movies is both science and the development of technology, and it being used for good and/or evil. While I don't think that having Tony fight a magic-based villian would bother people all that much, perhaps it was thought that having one would not be thematically appropriate for this particular franchise.

I wonder if magic will actually be confirmed to exist in the MCU at any point. At least then I'd know if we ever get a Dr. Strange movie or not. :P

Edit: OK, never mind all this. I should have fact-checked this before I posted it.
    The rings are alien technology, not magic.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    I've been through this before, but as someone who aint rises biggest fan, he quits because Batman was unneeded he states it explicitly.
    in the end he quits because, they can actually give the hero an ending that doesn't really get done in comics.

It's strange that I thought it was ballsy to give Batman a happy ending.
    I didn't really see it as a happy ending

sure, it was happy for Bruce

but for the general citizenry of Gotham, there was no reason that things wouldn't just fall right back to how they were before i.e. shit
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I've been through this before, but as someone who aint rises biggest fan, he quits because Batman was unneeded he states it explicitly.
    in the end he quits because, they can actually give the hero an ending that doesn't really get done in comics.

but for the general citizenry of Gotham, there was no reason that things wouldn't just fall right back to how they were before i.e. shit

Which is very un-Batmanlike.

The great tragedy of Batman is that nothing is ever good enough. He could lock away all the supervillains in Gotham and it wouldn't be enough.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    I was completely off with my pre-movie predictions
    With Mandarin in the trailers being all "no more heroes" and anti-Avengers etc I figured he had been given the Ten Rings by Thanos or something
    Like Thanos wanted the heroes removed before he took his revenge on earth, so he gave advanced alien technology to a terrorist in exchange for him taking out the superheroes

But nope, not even close
    Thanos wants to fight the heroes, because to do so would be to court death
    personaqn.png
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular

agree, really it's underdeveloped, the status quo looks like it remains, I think the only nod towards improvement is the quote from tale of two cities. I wonder how it would be addressed in a longer cut.
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ceno wrote: »

The great tragedy of Batman is that nothing is ever good enough. He could lock away all the supervillains in Gotham and it wouldn't be enough.
    But that was the state of batman at the beginning of the movie! He won but was still having a shit life trying to save the world in other ways. The whole arc of the movie was him learning to have a normal life which you can do because it's the finale.
    FAQ on
    edited May 2013
    batman
    it kind of feels wrong for bruce to just whisk off completely

like you don't want to be batman fine, being batman sucks, I get it

but Martha and Thomas Wayne helped the city to the day of their death without being superheroes
    -Tal on
    personaqn.png
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    Saw this recently, and I'm really not sure how I feel about it.

There were lots of things I liked, and quite a few things I didn't.

I need to think on it some more.
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    New Man of Steel rumor
    Wayne Enterprises and Batman will be referenced, but not actually shown.
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    That one I definitely believe.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular
    I could see that

Not sure if it'll be anything in dialogue, more something in the background, but yeah
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I was going to say there is a thread for this but if you actually want to discuss the movie that is maybe not the best place.

I ... did not know all that hate on Card, and now i am literally concerned about my love for the series.

Man. Like im through 1 page of that thread and i feel like such a bad person by association. Jesus.
    Devlin_Dragonus on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Goddamn this movie was good! Wish I could have gotten some better previews, but the next Star Trek was among them so even that wasn't too bad. And I most certainly would also be for a War Machine spinoff.

I really liked how
    this movie, much like how Skyfall managed James Bond, was all about removing Tony Stark from most of his toys and having him endure through most of the movie with very little. The final battle suddenly having a ton of Iron Man suits was quite the opposite of the Skyfall finale of course, but it was better being the all out mayhem that it was. There was a lot that reminded me of The Dark Knight Rises too, with Tony Stark spending so much time out of the suit and all.
    Rehab on
    metalocalypsesig.png
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    So it just occurred to me that with it being the end of the semester, I could sell some of my books back and get money

Long story short I should be seeing this tomorrow
    acblackflag.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    School is good for something
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I ... did not know all that hate on Card, and now i am literally concerned about my love for the series.

Man. Like im through 1 page of that thread and i feel like such a bad person by association. Jesus.

He's kind of a monster.

But as a nerdy kid its kind of hard NOT to be suckered in by Ender's Game. I wouldn't feel too bad about it.
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Re: my earlier confusion, yeah I was thinking of onslaut and heroes reborn. Also I know Tony was director for a while (great series btw). I just remember that way back in ye olden days there was a comic where Tony brought Fury in, gave him the job, and taught him to always use LMDs whenever he went anywhere.
    Weaver on
    ProfessionalandCommander.jpg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    Saw this on Friday and I loved it; it really went to some unexpected, totally enjoyable places which have been covered pretty well by everyone so far so I'll refrain

only strike against it was
    that slow pan down to the daughter of the VP's leg, which was wack as hell
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Why was that a strike against?
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular

it was just a hacky move
    oh, the VP is evil. Okay, that happens commonly enough for whatever reason, but veeps in action movies are always bein evil for power grabs and all, it's tired but it's not a big deal. But then: oh, his daughter is missing her leg from the knee down. So the VP is willing to murder POTUS and numerous others and allow and encourage terrorism in the US because maybe his daughter's leg could be grown back.

Aside from being pretty unbelievable, it's cheesy, soapy motivation. Not to downplay the handicap, but it's not even a life-threatening debilitation, and the character isn't developed near enough to justify his behavior.
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

I think the list of ongoing comics/stories/books/games where this doesn't hold true would be a relatively short list, because the vast majority of media tends to resort to upping the stakes to keep things interesting.
    Goatmon on
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'm a DC fan (and a Marvel one too, we abominations do exist) and I didn't care for The Dark Knight Rises. It's servicable, but a poor follow up to DK, and I didn't really end up liking Nolan's take on Batman. I think the DCAU is just about perfect, and going from a Bruce that says "I know I'm not crazy because I don't call myself 'Bruce' in my head" to a guy who immediately quits being Batman after experiencing his first real tangible consequence for being Batman just kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Maybe I'm shallow, but I don't come to this stuff to see if the hero will ultimately free himself from being the hero. I come to this stuff to see heroes. To see people in costumes beat up other people in costumes for melodramatic fantastical reasons.

I have hopes for Man of Steel. Superman is and always will be my favorite guy, but I want the DC film universe to take clues from the MCU in more ways than just tying the universe together. Good things are being said about the tone for MoS, so I'm looking forward to it.

I get all these movies on blu ray anyway, because I lubs me some superheroes.
    I'm sorry what? You know most people just read comics right? We may have a preference but its not at all like you are implying.

About DKR
    I dislike this argument. The movie starts us with the Bruce you wanted and the whole thing is about Bruce freeing himself from his obsession. The movie isn't about a different batman but about the obsessed Batman undergoing character development.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

it was just a hacky move
    oh, the VP is evil. Okay, that happens commonly enough for whatever reason, but veeps in action movies are always bein evil for power grabs and all, it's tired but it's not a big deal. But then: oh, his daughter is missing her leg from the knee down. So the VP is willing to murder POTUS and numerous others and allow and encourage terrorism in the US because maybe his daughter's leg could be grown back.

Aside from being pretty unbelievable, it's cheesy, soapy motivation. Not to downplay the handicap, but it's not even a life-threatening debilitation, and the character isn't developed near enough to justify his behavior.

to be fair
    there is no maybe about it, even in its flawed stage Extremis is shown to be able to regrow limbs. The daughter could have other health issues as well, and its not outside the realm of possibility that a father is willing to risk anything for the well being and future of their child.

SO VP is not so much evil as morally compromised or even morally malleable
    Devlin_Dragonus on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    1AWryyp.jpg
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular

it was just a hacky move

to be fair
    there is no maybe about it, even in its flawed stage Extremis is shown to be able to regrow limbs. The daughter could have other health issues as well, and its not outside the realm of possibility that a father is willing to risk anything for the well being and future of their child.

I just assumed her lost limb was his fault.
    steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    1AWryyp.jpg

Shot him in the shin, that baby on the lower right is up to something!
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg

it was just a hacky move

to be fair

the movie presented a pretty big "maybe" in that
    they show some of those subjected to Extremis explode, and Killian presents it as still being questionable at the present time in talking about whether Pepper's body will accept it

the believability aspect is that the vice president of the US would do this for such a non-proportionate reward, not just joe father. It felt hacky due to it being a limp attempt to portray him as morally compromised with the "oh he's doing it for his CHILD he just loves his baby girl he's not all bad"
    02YsrWP.jpg
    edited May 2013

it was just a hacky move

to be fair

they show some of those subjected to Extremis explode, and Killian presents it as still being questionable at the present time in talking about whether Pepper's body will accept it

the believability aspect is that the vice president of the US would do this for such a non-proportionate reward, not just joe father. It felt hacky due to it being a limp attempt to portray him as morally compromised with the "oh he's doing it for his CHILD he just loves his baby girl he's not all bad"
    I saw it was Killian left out the "she might explode" part when he was selling it to the VP
    -Tal on
    personaqn.png
    -Tal wrote: »

it was just a hacky move

to be fair

I saw it was Killian left out the "she might explode" part when he was selling it to the VP

Yeah, suppose that's safe to assume

anyway I really liked the movie

I just think that detail was lame
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    1AWryyp.jpg

Won't work on Punisher, Moon Knight, Deadpool or Batman on a bad day. Spider-man webs them all up.
    Harry Dresden on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    surely you could just

shoot that guy in the head

where there are no babies
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    New Man of Steel rumor
    Wayne Enterprises and Batman will be referenced, but not actually shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYnJQqLyov0
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    This is why you should always wear a baby helmet.
    PSN/Steam - Elderlycrawfish
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    surely you could just

shoot that guy in the head

where there are no babies

making him fall and kill several of them.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    1AWryyp.jpg

Won't work on Punisher, Moon Knight, Deadpool or Batman on a bad day. Spider-man webs them all up.

Earth-1 Superman uses his Superbaby talk and has the babies disarm the criminal...

However, GASP!? The criminal is actually BABYTALK, the supernanny supervillian!

How will Superman get out of this one?

And is Jimmy Olsen the mother?!