Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    To be fair, you'd think Tony Stark would get a gourmet burger from a fancy restaurant, and not Burger King.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Subway

It was pretty invasive in Chuck

But I found it pretty hilarious there as well

Plus I'd heard that Subway actually put up some of the funding for that season? So yeah, let 'em shill
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    He had a press conference to make!
    acblackflag.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads Let Piggy Chimp decideRegistered User regular
    To be fair, you'd think Tony Stark would get a gourmet burger from a fancy restaurant, and not Burger King.

He could at least spring for Red Robin
    3h5Wc.png
    Secret Satans! Post | D&D Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    Iron Man 1's Burger King product placement is some of the best I've ever seen

Arrested Development's is pretty good too

Burger King's on top of that shit

I also really liked 30 Rock's Snapple stuff
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    product placement is good when it acknowledges the fact that people use products in real life all the time

using burger king instead of some fake burger joint actually gives the movie more verisimilitude
    personaqn.png
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    Rewatching The Office, there's an impressive amount of small product placements here and there

Lots of visits to Chili's, for example
    acblackflag.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Iron Man 1's Burger King product placement is some of the best I've ever seen

Arrested Development's is pretty good too

Burger King's on top of that shit

I also really liked 30 Rock's Snapple stuff

Yeah, they need to hit the right tone, even when they're being self-aware there's a bad hole you can fall down quickly

The Snapple, Cisco and McDonald's ones were fine, but the Verizon one was really bad
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    the office is actually a really good example of how to do unobtrusive product placement

not all shows purport to be a documentary of a small town paper company, though
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    I love Burn Notice, but there was one scene where Michael is speeding towards a hostile negotiation and he starts narrating about how important a cars' handling is with loving camera shots of the car making these turns.

It seemed like something you'd see in a parody.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    you're never too rich for a god awful mass-produced burger every once in a while

Apparently Bill Gates loves cheap cheeseburgers.
    daft1sig.gif
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I love Burn Notice, but there was one scene where Michael is speeding towards a hostile negotiation and he starts narrating about how important a cars' handling is with loving camera shots of the car making these turns.

It seemed like something you'd see in a parody.

have you ever watched White Collar?

apparently the Ford Explorer is the cadillac of automobiles
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    Man, I can still remember my first glimpse of the MCU in that one Iron Man trailer where you see him break the sound barrier.
    daft1sig.gif
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Man, I can still remember my first glimpse of the MCU in that one Iron Man trailer where you see him break the sound barrier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIFaeqwES1Y

still rad

only thing I would change: the actor for Rhodes
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    fuck heroes
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    Eh I really like the first season.
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Eh I really like the first season.
    The first season being decent to good just makes the utter stream of crap that came afterwards all the more terrible.

It was like Sliders all over again.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm curious why they basically quit bothering to make Pepper a redhead after the first movie
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its a shame there was only one season of Heroes
    EtrfZJ9.jpg?1?8021
    the first season of heroes isn't even very good

there's one good episode and one episode that's kind of fun?
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    product placement is good when it acknowledges the fact that people use products in real life all the time

using burger king instead of some fake burger joint actually gives the movie more verisimilitude

Yeah, when used right it feels natural. And poorly written, fake brands usually lead to an eye roll from me. I wish I could forget that Simpsons episode where "Bintendo Vii" (or something to that effect) is uttered.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    No, seriously
    Specifically, they've decried those Chinese sequences for serving primarily as product placement for Chinese electronics manufacturer TCL—this in addition to a graphic that opens the film by asking the question “What does Iron Man rely on to revitalize his energy?” with the answer being “Gu Li Duo,” a local milk drink. (In other words, it’s a crummy commercial.)

Elsewhere, the heavily promoted appearance of popular actor Wang Xueqi is reduced to just a handful of fleeting moments, with Wang’s Dr. Wu meeting Tony Stark near the beginning, later attempting to reach Stark by telephone while Iron Man is fleetingly glimpsed on the (TCL) television behind him, and finally, performing surgery while having a short conversation with his assistant, played by Chinese superstar Fan Bingbing. This is more than Dr. Wu gets in the international cut, of course, where he’s reduced to around 10 seconds of barely noticeable screen time. Still, it’s hardly the “complex, challenging,” and significant role Wang made Dr. Wu out to be when discussing why he took it.

That's a let down. I was waiting to hear about it being a Chinese dominated alternate take that was crazy awesome.
    the first season of heroes isn't even very good

there's one good episode and one episode that's kind of fun?

Well, I watched all of Season 1 in one go, and the cliffhanger nature of the episodes really made it feel like one big long story, so I'm guessing that allowed me to forget the chaff fairly quickly.

No, seriously
    Specifically, they've decried those Chinese sequences for serving primarily as product placement for Chinese electronics manufacturer TCL—this in addition to a graphic that opens the film by asking the question “What does Iron Man rely on to revitalize his energy?” with the answer being “Gu Li Duo,” a local milk drink. (In other words, it’s a crummy commercial.)

Elsewhere, the heavily promoted appearance of popular actor Wang Xueqi is reduced to just a handful of fleeting moments, with Wang’s Dr. Wu meeting Tony Stark near the beginning, later attempting to reach Stark by telephone while Iron Man is fleetingly glimpsed on the (TCL) television behind him, and finally, performing surgery while having a short conversation with his assistant, played by Chinese superstar Fan Bingbing. This is more than Dr. Wu gets in the international cut, of course, where he’s reduced to around 10 seconds of barely noticeable screen time. Still, it’s hardly the “complex, challenging,” and significant role Wang made Dr. Wu out to be when discussing why he took it.

That's a let down. I was waiting to hear about it being a Chinese dominated alternate take that was crazy awesome.

So was China
    Conservative media would have been all over how Hollywood is now catering to citizens of China rather than Americans
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    community's subway product placement was insane

how did that get approved

The real answer is that self-deprecation is absolutely a marketing technique.
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm curious why they basically quit bothering to make Pepper a redhead after the first movie
    Uhhhh
    7fGaNva.jpg
    That's pretty goddamn red

It was hella redder in the first movie
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular

There's self depreciation, and there's being portrayed as a straight up Orwellian police state that happens to sell sandwiches.

And then there's what Subway did with Britta.
    2MyOx.png
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

There's self depreciation, and there's being portrayed as a straight up Orwellian police state that happens to sell sandwiches.

That wasn't Subway. that was Subway
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

they knew their audience
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Uhhhh
    7fGaNva.jpg

It was hella redder in the first movie
    jMcvKQq.jpg
    Nope.
    Uhhhh
    7fGaNva.jpg

her hair should be at least as red as Tony's armor

geez Blank

How many people do you think watched that episode and took that seriously versus how many people had Subway on their minds and spread the brand through word of mouth?
    wRbeRNg.jpg