Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular
    sounds like i'm going to have to watch punisher: war zone
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    It's definitely worth it, there are some great moments in it.
    daft2.gif
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I finished SUperman BIrthright and I gotta say I found it a little disappointing. There is a lot of good there but Sups is a little dry and while I like the art in general the Small/no eye treatment bothered me when applied to SUperman.

I also didn't like Luthor. I get the feeling that that's more my problem though. I've made that same complaint with other Luthor portayals I see. I keep expecting the guy who regularly charms the public into not realizing his a megalomaniac to be affable. Whereas Luthor seems to come across as a ranting charismaless fool on small step away from raving for hours on the nightly news.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Registered User regular
    sounds like i'm going to have to watch punisher: war zone

I have fond memories of watching War Zone with a bunch of friends whilst more than a little drunk.
    It is competely ridiculous of course, and nauseating, but also hilarious.
    LetharCombo_zpsbd0f5853.gif?t=13486907462wT1Q.gif

• Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    War Zone is a weird fucking movie.

They really nail the character of the punnisher.

But all the bad guys are a fucking joke and they drag the movie down.
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    GI Joe: Rise of Cobra screenwriters suing MGM and Paramount over GI Joe: Retaliation.

Basically they were asked to pitch a sequel after the first film and did so, but did not get picked up as the screenwriters.

Then the sequel came out and it is basically identical to the pitch they submitted, which they have collected and compared side-by-side.

I would think it comes down whether or not the pitch they had became Paramount/MGM's property or whether they retained the rights to it, but either way that is preeeetty shitty.
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Just went through all of the comparisons, they start at Page 14 of the pdf that article links

holy shit it is literally the same exact movie as their pitch, like with only the most itty bitty changes.

Hopefully these dudes don't get even more screwed over because yeah they got fucked over by the studios
    Their plot was to have someone rescue cobra commander and to then hold the world hostage with a superweapon?

Shocking.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It's since become a class action suit with the writers of the 80's GI joe show.

Blake T wrote: »
    Their plot was to have someone rescue cobra commander and to then hold the world hostage with a superweapon?

Shocking.

Not only is there a lot more to it then that Cobras plan was actually pretty unique.
    detail-1.jpg
    By unique, you mean they stole a weapon that was actually attempted to be developed?

Shocking.
    If you want to boil it down as general as possible and be a dick about it, sure

But when every single plot beat is exactly the same it isn't really a case of "oh it's GI Joe they're gonna be similar no matter what".

Here is the the comparison between the plot of the film and the pitch, beat by beat:
    D0dQNSC.png
    fRg9eZw.png
    uJgFjGx.png
    EevX5JC.png
    dcKPYUZ.png
    OLTTikv.png

If you don't think those are nearly identical you are insane

I'm not gonna say the writers wrote a particularly good or even all that unique story, but if they were asked to pitch the film and then had their pitch stolen wholesale(again, I know nothing about the legal logistics of pitching films and am going off of the assumption that they retained creative rights to their pitch and they weren't given to Paramount after they pitched it) and made into a big budget movie they deserve compensation regardless of quality.
    By unique, you mean they stole a weapon that was actually attempted to be developed?

No I mean tricking all nations into firing and then disarming their nukes.
    detail-1.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Here is the the comparison between the plot of the film and the pitch, beat by beat:
    D0dQNSC.png
    fRg9eZw.png
    uJgFjGx.png
    EevX5JC.png
    dcKPYUZ.png
    OLTTikv.png

If you don't think those are nearly identical you are insane

I'm not gonna say the writers wrote a particularly good or even all that unique story, but if they were asked to pitch the film and then had their pitch stolen wholesale(again, I know nothing about the legal logistics of pitching films and am going off of the assumption that they retained creative rights to their pitch and they weren't given to Paramount after they pitched it) and made into a big budget movie they deserve compensation regardless of quality.

Well the 2nd movie was pretty good compared to the disaster that was the first
    A.jpg
    Well these dudes wrote the first one too, although they say that they were not happy with how it turned out and felt it wasn't entirely faithful to their script. Which I take with a huge grain of salt because honestly they seem like they aren't all that great of writers.

But hey, stealin's stealin.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Yeah, infants and toddlers are surprisingly tough. There's a reason our species has a 9 month gestation period.

it should be longer but every single human is born premature because otherwise their heads would be too large to make it out of the womb, which explains why human babies take so long to develop vital motor skills while other mammals like horses produce young that are up and walking within hours of birth?

Wait, so babies are premature because they're born while still small enough to actually make it out of the womb? I don't follow.

Also, humans don't have four legs, or a large tail to provide balance.

And there are plenty of other animals that are also helpless and completely dependent on the parents to get around for months after birth, so I don't really see your logic, here.

No, he's right. Humans by far outstrip all other mammals in the time it takes to be able to walk, and we still don't know exactly why. The mother being unable to carry as long as it would take for the brain to sufficiently develop is true. A study in 2009 found that you can account for how long it takes a mammal to walk based on their brain mass, you can basically predict with 90% accuracy when the animal will walk on the model.

So, depending on how the infant's brain develops, that accounts for the time to walking, with small variations dependent on how many legs they have and stuff like that. For bibedal mammals, it does take longer, but it's not a big factor. It's also probably not, as is usually quoted, humans being much smarter and therefore spending time developing lots of other things before walking. It's simply an evolutionary identifier that humans' brain mass is not large enough at birth to accommodate the muscle coordination for any sort of mobility.

http://phys.org/news180340234.html
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Nah, you're right, they're pretty much bang on I'm just being silly.

I think the studio will argue they were allowed to use it.
    edited May 2013
    Nah, you're right, they're pretty much bang on I'm just being silly.

I think the studio will argue they were allowed to use it.
    Oh I am sure they will, but I am not sure how well it will hold up.

I would think it comes down to whether or not they were paid for the pitch, and judging from the fact that they weren't given any sort of credit at all on the film I don't think they were.

Blankzilla on
  • StraightziStraightzi Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    Iron Man 1's Burger King product placement is my ideal product placement for all things

It's fairly organic and doesn't really bring you out of the movie, and it grounds the whole thing.

The cut placement from Thor was a little hokey though...
    When Sif and the Warriors Three show up, it's a little different. The big guy (forgot his name) wonders off and helps a girl recover a soft/baseball from under a car (by lifting it), then "smells" the SHIELD spies. One of them was holding a Burger King burger. When the guy knocks them out, the dude holding the burger throws it up in the air and big guy catches it. He makes a comment about hating spies, then takes a bite and goes "Exquisite!"

You are making this up. You have to be.

I wish all of these were in the movie
  • LalaboxLalabox Who even writes this rubbish? Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    Iron Man 1's Burger King product placement is my ideal product placement for all things

It's fairly organic and doesn't really bring you out of the movie, and it grounds the whole thing.

The cut placement from Thor was a little hokey though...
    When Sif and the Warriors Three show up, it's a little different. The big guy (forgot his name) wonders off and helps a girl recover a soft/baseball from under a car (by lifting it), then "smells" the SHIELD spies. One of them was holding a Burger King burger. When the guy knocks them out, the dude holding the burger throws it up in the air and big guy catches it. He makes a comment about hating spies, then takes a bite and goes "Exquisite!"

You are making this up. You have to be.

I wish all of these were in the movie

I'm sure I remember seeing the the 'I hate spies' scene when I saw the movie, although I was watching it on a plane, and I remember nothing about the burger.
    . zsiSs.jpg
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    http://abload.de/img/mos3y7eap.gif

Definitely some All-Star Superman flying poses going on in the middle snippet of this, which someone took from the 3rd tv spot.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular

More soundtrack.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    siiiiiiiiick

about Doc Strange I mean

not Ray Harryhausen

I actually had never heard of him but I now hear he was pretty cool
    Solar on
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Solar you may not have heard of Harryhausen, but I'm almost certain you've seen a movie he worked on at some point in your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9kmjW73-v4
  • KilroyKilroy Seer of Heart Registered User regular

at this point I might as well just give marvel direct access to my bank account
    Steam brotimes Xbox Live: DigitalGravitas
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Solar you may not have heard of Harryhausen, but I'm almost certain you've seen a movie he worked on at some point in your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9kmjW73-v4

Yeah I know a few of them

I wouldn't be able to tell you shit about who made those movies though!

dude loved his giant monsters

much respect
    Solar on
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Who would play Dr. Strange?
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Going by Marvel's track record for star characters, it'd be the last guy you'd expect.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Who would play Dr. Strange?

MV5BMTc1NDI2MzIwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTIyNTY0Mg@@._V1._SY314_CR13,0,214,314_.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Cumberbatch is Doom.

Accept no substitutes.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo Registered User regular
    Channing Tatum