Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    While a little cheesy Volstagg is exactly the kind of dude to find a bunch of spies and immediately focus on the burger they are eating

But cheese on a burger is a good thing.
    Undead Scottsman on
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    Okay, the Warriors Three were adorable in that.
    daft1sig.gif
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The Warriors Three are some of the best supporting characters in comics.

I cannot wait for Jason Aaron to use them in his Malekith the Accursed arc.
    Blankzilla on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    While a little cheesy Volstagg is exactly the kind of dude to find a bunch of spies and immediately focus on the burger they are eating

Its amazing its the same actor who was Punisher in Punisher: War Zone.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Iron Man 1's Burger King product placement is my ideal product placement for all things

It's fairly organic and doesn't really bring you out of the movie, and it grounds the whole thing.

The cut placement from Thor was a little hokey though...
    When Sif and the Warriors Three show up, it's a little different. The big guy (forgot his name) wonders off and helps a girl recover a soft/baseball from under a car (by lifting it), then "smells" the SHIELD spies. One of them was holding a Burger King burger. When the guy knocks them out, the dude holding the burger throws it up in the air and big guy catches it. He makes a comment about hating spies, then takes a bite and goes "Exquisite!"

You are making this up. You have to be.
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    Oh god, he also played Firefly in Retaliation.
    daft1sig.gif
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    So DC got a bunch of artists to do era variant covers for the first issue of Superman Unchained to celebrate Man of Steel, the new series and Superman's 75th Anniversary

1930s by Bruce Timm:
    smun11930sjpg-5e9fb1.jpg
    Golden Age by Dave Johnson:
    smun1gajpg-acb6af.jpg
    Silver Age by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez
    smun1sajpg-acb6b1.jpg
    Bronze Age by Neal Adams
    smun1bronzejpg-acb6ad.jpg
    Modern Age by Jerry Ordway
    smun1modernjpg-acb6b0.jpg
    Superman Reborn(Death of Superman era) by Dan Jurgens
    smun1rebjpg-5e9fb3.jpg
    The New 52 by Brett Booth:
    smun1n52jpg-5e9fb2.jpg
    Superman vs. Lex Luthor by Lee Bremejo
    smun1lljpg-acb6ae.jpg
    Superman Unchained by Jim Lee
    smund1combojpg-5e9fb4.jpg

Man, most of these are not so hot
    WebButton.jpg sig3.png
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    jamie foxx is a great casting but every time someone says how nerdy he is I dream of an Electro played by Tobey Maguire
    personaqn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular

Its amazing its the same actor who was Punisher in Punisher: War Zone.

WHAT.
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    they better not cg it to hell

he better be in a god damn leather suit with his face in the middle
    personaqn.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I wonder how Jamie Foxx is going to do as a villain character.

Because every time he does a moderately serious role his inner comedian still pops out at times. Not that that is a bad thing, but its noticeable.

Guess it depends on how they play Electro in the movie.
    Dragkonias on
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    they better not cg it to hell

he better be in a god damn leather suit with his face in the middle
    There is zero percent chance of it not being CGI'd to hell

I mean Paul Giamatti is a fantastic actor but he is a tiny man.

I'm expecting a Ruffalo-Hulk style performance.

• AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I wonder how Jamie Foxx is going to do as a villain character.

Because every time he does a moderately serious role his inner comedian still pops out at times. Not that that is a bad thing, but its noticeable.

Guess it depends on how they play Electro in the movie.

based on stills i'm guessing Dillon will be played for laughs before turning into a bad guy
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    My friend is so perplexed why I am super psyched to see Giamatti as Rhino

It's impossible for me to express my hype in words
    daft2.gif
    Fugitive wrote: »
    So DC got a bunch of artists to do era variant covers for the first issue of Superman Unchained to celebrate Man of Steel, the new series and Superman's 75th Anniversary

1930s by Bruce Timm:
    smun11930sjpg-5e9fb1.jpg
    Golden Age by Dave Johnson:
    smun1gajpg-acb6af.jpg
    Silver Age by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez
    smun1sajpg-acb6b1.jpg
    Bronze Age by Neal Adams
    smun1bronzejpg-acb6ad.jpg
    Modern Age by Jerry Ordway
    smun1modernjpg-acb6b0.jpg
    Superman Reborn(Death of Superman era) by Dan Jurgens
    smun1rebjpg-5e9fb3.jpg
    The New 52 by Brett Booth:
    smun1n52jpg-5e9fb2.jpg
    smun1lljpg-acb6ae.jpg
    Superman Unchained by Jim Lee
    smund1combojpg-5e9fb4.jpg

Man, most of these are not so hot
    The only ones I'd call bad are the Unchained(and it's pretty good for Lee, less scratchy than usual) and New 52 ones.

Everything else is either well made or appropriate for the era it is paying homage to

which I guess explains why the New 52 one is so shitty BOOM
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    one thing's for sure, Spider-Man #700 had way better variant covers

hey @Blankzilla, I'm on my phone, you should post some so people can see how cool they were
    Gatsby wrote: »
    My friend is so perplexed why I am super psyched to see Giamatti as Rhino

It's impossible for me to express my hype in words
    Three words:

Idiot Russian Hulk

if Paul Giamatti playing that doesn't appeal to you, youse bonkers

also I hope they tap into the stories that portray Alexei as actually a pretty nice guy at his core, he's just shortsighted and dumb

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Iron Man 1's Burger King product placement is my ideal product placement for all things

It's fairly organic and doesn't really bring you out of the movie, and it grounds the whole thing.

When Sif and the Warriors Three show up, it's a little different. The big guy (forgot his name) wonders off and helps a girl recover a soft/baseball from under a car (by lifting it), then "smells" the SHIELD spies. One of them was holding a Burger King burger. When the guy knocks them out, the dude holding the burger throws it up in the air and big guy catches it. He makes a comment about hating spies, then takes a bite and goes "Exquisite!"

daft1sig.gif
  • NocrenNocren Still AwesomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Check the BluRay... or it's more then likely online as well somewhere.

EDIT: Thank you Trippy.
    Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Yeah, infants and toddlers are surprisingly tough. There's a reason our species has a 9 month gestation period.

it should be longer but every single human is born premature because otherwise their heads would be too large to make it out of the womb, which explains why human babies take so long to develop vital motor skills while other mammals like horses produce young that are up and walking within hours of birth?

Wait, so babies are premature because they're born while still small enough to actually make it out of the womb? I don't follow.

Also, humans don't have four legs, or a large tail to provide balance.

And there are plenty of other animals that are also helpless and completely dependent on the parents to get around for months after birth, so I don't really see your logic, here.
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    From the little I've read/heard, it seems that any later and the head would be to large to exit, however human babies wind up more vulnerable than most outside of the womb, due to this.
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Thought about the movie a little more.

Things I really loved
    The Tennessee segment was great, and the back and forth between Stark and the kid was hilarious.

Pepper getting a chance to be badass was awesome! Although I wish she and Stark had a few more scenes together.

Guy Pearce was great as Killian.

All the armor flying to the rescue at the end was fantastic.

As for things I didn't love so much.
    I think it's a shame that the War Machine/Iron Patriot armor never got to participate in any fights. I mean you've got the suit armed to the teeth and yet it never even fires a weapon.

In a similar vein I thought the armors weren't showcased enough. There were a bunch of them on screen, but we didn't get to see what made them unique. This was especially egregious with the Hulkbuster suit. It was terribly utilized. It would've been awesome to see it crushing extremis soldiers... And speaking of extremis.

Extremis was dumb, dumb, dumb. If it had just been super strength super speed and a healing factor It would've worked, but the melty powers are just too ridiculous, and over the top.

Ad astra on
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular

smun1lljpg-acb6ae.jpg

Lex, Superman is crushing your suit like tinfoil. I can even see the finger gouges, so I wouldn't be all smiles here.
  • glithertglithert The richest duck in the world Duckburg, CalisotaRegistered User regular
    You'd think Luthor would build his suit out of Metallo, or whatever the name of the metal Metallo is built out of is.
    beagleboys_zpsef7ae967.jpg
    Lex's most recent power suit was actually custom built by Darkseid's engineers in exchange for...something, I forget.

So it could put up one hell of a fight.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Why doesn't Superman just rip Luthor's head off while he's in his power suit
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    I just see him picking up his phone

"Fucking Snyder again"

TOSS
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    just saw punisher war zone
    ebert's thoughts on it are my own
    You used to be able to depend on a bad film being poorly made. No longer. "The Punisher: War Zone" is one of the best-made bad movies I've seen. It looks great, it hurtles through its paces and is well-acted. The soundtrack is like elevator music if the elevator were in a death plunge. The special effects are state of the art. Its only flaw is that it's disgusting.
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So it's...poorly written?
    bar-cc-1.jpg
    yes and no

plenty of great scenes, it's just that the violence is utterly foul and clashes with the rest of the movie imo
    nsfw
    15Tpj.jpeg
    Some of the violence in War Zone made me cringe

However, that one scene

With the rocket

Yes

Yes
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    edited May 2013
    I always wondered why he even bothered with mentioning the whole "well-armed" thing. Each gang clearly brought their own guns anyway!
    TrippyJing on
    daft1sig.gif