Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ceno wrote: »
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/robert-downey-jr-avengers-marvel-negotiations-fight/

Disney is going to have to pay some bucks for Avengers 2. Marvel's lowballing of actors could come back to bite them in the ass.

Maybe, maybe not. They're good at casting their roles so losing Downey Jr. isn't an impossible task its a setback. They can also decide to put Tony Stark in "retirement" for a few years then bring him back with a new actor. It's not like they can't come up with a new franchise to replace Iron Man's briefly. This isn't WB or Fox.

edit: They can put Rhodey in as Stark's replacement in Avengers 2 if need be.
    Harry Dresden on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Hemsworth and Evans signed 6 picture deals each, so they'd be good for 3 solo movies and 3 Avengers movies. Ruffalo got into a 5 picture deal after the Avengers.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Who would play Dr. Strange?

not Patrick Dempsey, that's for sure

Beyond both time & space this wound hurt me.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/robert-downey-jr-avengers-marvel-negotiations-fight/

Disney is going to have to pay some bucks for Avengers 2. Marvel's lowballing of actors could come back to bite them in the ass.

Maybe, maybe not. They're good at casting their roles so losing Downey Jr. isn't an impossible task its a setback. They can also decide to put Tony Stark in "retirement" for a few years then bring him back with a new actor. It's not like they can't come up with a new franchise to replace Iron Man's briefly. This isn't WB or Fox.

What?? Hell no they can't replace RDJ with Rhodey. Replacing a juggernaut of charisma and energy with the "everyman" character?? No.
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    I...wouldn't say Rhodey is the "everyman" character at all. Especially after IM3.
    daft2.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »

What?? Hell no they can't replace RDJ with Rhodey. Replacing a juggernaut of charisma and energy with the "everyman" character?? No.

Yeah, they can't do that. All the other characters might have a chance to shine if they did that!
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Don Cheadle was totally on par with RDJ in Iron Man 3. He deserves at the very least a small appearance in Avengers 2.
  • AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular
    A lot of Avengers blowing up is squarely on RDJ's shoulders. He should be compensated for that, as he probably had no clue how big this would get when he started.
    Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    Rhodey really came into his own in IM3

the interplay between he and Tony was aces, and while I wouldn't want to give that up I'm sure Cheadle could bring plenty of that to the billion other heroes he would be interacting with in an Avengers movie
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    A lot of Avengers blowing up is squarely on RDJ's shoulders. He should be compensated for that, as he probably had no clue how big this would get when he started.

he got like

a hundred million dollars
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    RDJ was compensated.

He made an incredible sum of money off of Avengers because he got a portion of the profits. I think the end total was 50 million for him?

He's just throwing his weight around because he is in a position to renegotiate his contract and Marvel is lowballing the other actors who are still under contract.
    RDJ was compensated.

He made an incredible sum of money off of Avengers because he got a portion of the profits. I think the end total was 50 million for him?

He's just throwing his weight around because he is in a position to renegotiate his contract and Marvel is lowballing the other actors who are still under contract.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well you know I don't really have much sympathy for people who demand a massive increase on their paycheck which is orders of magnitude more than what regular people earn in the same time period.
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular
    I'm not saying he wasn't. I'm just saying that I don't find contract negotiations despicable or anything. I wasn't aware he got such a cut of the Avengers' profit, though.
    Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
    Solar wrote: »
    Well you know I don't really have much sympathy for people who demand a massive increase on their paycheck which is orders of magnitude more than what regular people earn in the same time period.
    I don't think RDJ is really looking for sympathy here. He knows he's a hot commodity and is trying to leverage that for as much money as he can wring from it.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

he got like

No, that was Whedon. RDJ is looking at somewhere around 70-80 all said and done.
    Naphtalí SE++ WoW | Steam | B.net Tag: Naphtali#1830 | LoL: El Naphtali | Wish List
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Rhodey having action scenes outside of his suit was one of my highlights from IM3. I'd love to see him in Avengers 2, especially as a guy out of the loop on the relationships between characters.

However, Avengers 2 without RDJ would feel weird. Pay the man a stupid amount of money for that, and put the Iron Man series on pause for a bit. For Christ's sake it is already a sequel ahead of Thor and Captain America and there are still a number of viable other heroes that could pull off a solo film.
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »

he got like

No, that was Whedon. RDJ is looking at somewhere around 70-80 all said and done.

Only 70 million.

He gets a % of the international gross.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    While I love the fan-casting of Oded Fehr as Dr. Stephen Strange (and think he could be obtained by Marvel) in my ideal casting I'd really love to see Viggo Mortensen in the role.

* He was born in New York and has lived in Argentina, Denmark, England, Spain & Venezuela.
    * He's an author, with around 17 published books on poetry, photography, and painting.
    * He's a musician with 16 produced albums.
    * His ex-wife is a singer in a punk rock band.
    * He speaks fluent English, Danish, and Spanish; he is also conversational in French and Italian, and understands Norwegian and Swedish.

I mean the dude is just fucking awesome and well traveled and is so close to what I'd want from Stephen Strange.

Also I'm pretty sure he'd actually learn sorcery for the role, so...
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

I mean, yes they are getting paid huge sums of money regardless but they aren't really being greedy at all. Marvel is offering Hemsworth less than he got for being in Snow White and the Huntsman to return in Avengers 2, the sequel to the third highest grossing film of all time.

They're being really stingy and cheap.

Saying "well they should be happy with what they are getting" is kind of missing the point, Marvel isn't offering anywhere near what pretty much any other studio would be in this situation.

Yeah I honestly don't give a shit

if you think you absolutely deserve, say, ten million instead of five million for a movie you made, then fine, negotiate for it, but I don't think it is massively morally defensible to do so. Perhaps not morally wrong, but I do kind of want to say to these people "you are rich as fuck stop complaining."
    IQ41voQ.jpg
    I got no problem with RDJ getting big bucks for being iron man, he's obviously worth it.

But his career was in the trash when Iron Man came out and revitalized it. They got him cheap because people didnt want to go near him after his drug/drink issues, so Iron Man is a big reason why he blew up again.
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    Viggo and Aidan Gillen are prob my two favorite fan castings at the moment
    02YsrWP.jpg
    You think either of them would be willing to do 200k a movie? :D
    edited May 2013
    Both sides have good points and negatives. While the cast is expendable Marvel shouldn't be too cheap or acting like assholes during negotiations.
    Harry Dresden on
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

I mean, yes they are getting paid huge sums of money regardless but they aren't really being greedy at all. Marvel is offering Hemsworth less than he got for being in Snow White and the Huntsman to return in Avengers 2, the sequel to the third highest grossing film of all time.

Saying "well they should be happy with what they are getting" is kind of missing the point, Marvel isn't offering anywhere near what pretty much any other studio would be in this situation.

You can't give all the big name actors a cut of the gross.

Part of it is going the be consistent, high paying work. That's why there are multiple movie contracts.

There is a reason people thought Avengers was a pipe dream, reason one being the salary of so many A-listers.

No surprise that Natalie Portman was referenced in a through away line and not in the movie.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I am so sad Viggo will never play Roland in The Dark Tower
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

Yeah I honestly don't give a shit

if you think you absolutely deserve, say, ten million instead of five million for a movie you made, then fine, negotiate for it, but I don't think it is massively morally defensible to do so. Perhaps not morally wrong, but I do kind of want to say to these people "you are rich as fuck stop complaining."

I have very, very little problems with actors/directors trying to achieve greater sums of money in their industry.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

Part of it is going the be consistent, high paying work. That's why there are multiple movie contracts.

There is a reason people thought Avengers was a pipe dream, reason one being the salary of so many A-listers.

No surprise that Natalie Portman was referenced in a through away line and not in the movie.
    I don't think they are all asking for a cut of the gross?

They are just being incredibly lowballed. Hemsworth got, comparatively to the grosses of Thor and The Avengers, a tiny raise for Thor 2 and is probably being offered something similar for Avengers 2. And it was still less than what he made doing Snow White.

Marvel doesn't have to pay the whole cast 70 million bucks each, but they shouldn't be surprised that they are asking for raises after Avengers made 1.51 billion dollars. There's being thrifty and there's being dumb.

It seems like they are stuck in the mentality they were circa Iron Man and Incredible Hulk and such when the MCU wasn't a blockbuster factory and they weren't on top of the world.
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

I don't think they are all asking for a cut of the gross?

They are just being incredibly lowballed. Hemsworth got, comparatively to the grosses of Thor and The Avengers, a tiny raise for Thor 2 and is probably being offered something similar for Avengers 2. And it was still less than what he made doing Snow White.

Marvel doesn't have to pay the whole cast 70 million bucks each, but they shouldn't be surprised that they are asking for raises after Avengers made 1.51 billion dollars. There's being thrifty and there's being dumb.

It seems like they are stuck in the mentality they were circa Iron Man and Incredible Hulk and such when the MCU wasn't a blockbuster factory and they weren't on top of the world.
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    unsurprising
    xutFvZ4.gif

IIRC this is a pittance compared to what CEO's for major corporations get. That's why I'm not too upset for actors getting paid very well for their work. Director's can be expensive, too.
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

Portman was on maternity leave for Avengers. And her character wasn't really needed for the movie.
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

the only one in the cast approaching a-lister status is downey jr.
    To be honest I actually don't think anyone should be allowed to earn more than a million dollars a year

and that's generous

so I guess that is me
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    So I'm going to reward myself for writing this paper by seeing this thing later tonight

It's going to be satisfying being able to read all the spoilers
    acblackflag.jpg
    NotYou wrote: »

He'd fill in for Iron Man being a super-hero in a armored suit but not replace Tony Stark. Rhodey would have a very different relationship with the team. I think he'd become friends with Cap quickly. It'd nice to see him reacting to Black Widow, too.
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

the only one in the cast approaching a-lister status is downey jr.

One could argue Samuel L. Jackson is an A-list actor.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    If you earn more than a million dollars/pounds/euros (alter as applicable) you should get taxed at, like

a 99% rate

I am not even joking
    IQ41voQ.jpg