Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Like, an actor isn't just an actor in a film.

They are a signal to investors and such. They are a business item to bring in more money via investors.

And they are a name and reputation for movie-going audiences. Talking to coworkers about Iron Man 3 they are kind of excited to see it but the #1 reason given for that is RDJ. He is the pull. Not the story or the special effects.

And the fact that he can bring in major capital via investors as well as fill seats with just his name/reputation is the reason he deserves a higher salary.

It isn't only actors who are responsible for audiences wanting to see a movie. Its the characters they play and whether they think the movie will be good. Franchises come into play, as well. A successful brand is something audiences know what they're getting and want more from. Audiences don't want to see Downey jr. they want to see him play Tony Stark.

All of those are important factors.

But not nearly as big as an actor's name & reputation.

That didn't seem to matter when Downey Jr. was first cast in Iron Man. That didn't stop it from being a critical and financial success.

And Hugh Jackman wasn't a huge star in 2000 when X-Men came out.

It isn't a concrete, absolute rule.

Wasn't he a late fill-in for somebody else? Talk about lucking out.

Yes. The bad guy from Mission: Impossible 2 was originally cast in the role.
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Solar's arguments sound silly if you take away a couple of zeroes.

I dunno
    Solar wrote: »
    If you earn more than a million dollars/pounds/euros (alter as applicable) you should get taxed at, like

a 99% rate

I am not even joking

1,000,000 x 1% = 10,000

I was thinking of the one where he says they should be happy with so and so amount even though they feel they should have earned more.
    daft1sig.gif
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Hey guys, before we complain about stars getting obscene amounts of money, just remember that someone will be getting that profit money, and if it isn't the actors, it's most likely the studio.

The studio earning a profit on a film isn't inherently bad.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads Let Piggy Chimp decideRegistered User regular
    True, Marvel getting fat stacks of cash means they can afford to pump out more comics, and maybe pay artists/writers more.
    3h5Wc.png
    Secret Satans! Post | D&D Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • YukiraYukira Fuck with Aria? No.Registered User regular
    Movie was amazing. I'm finally going home.
    2s8mg4g.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    imagine if the kirby estate actually got a portion of proceeds from the avengers, let alone from any of the other marvel movies.

And now I'm sad
    daft2.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    imagine if the kirby estate actually got a portion of proceeds from the avengers, let alone from any of the other marvel movies.

Like his wife?

Because past that I dont see why his estate deserves anything. They didnt create the characters.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    regardless of how you think copyright should work in an ideal world, it absolutely does not work that way in the US and for them to get fucked out of what they should be getting is ridiculous.
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads Let Piggy Chimp decideRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    RDJ and Marvel fail to reach a deal.

Avengers 2 goes out featuring War Machine instead of Iron Man.

War Machine gets his own movie, they recast Tony Stark.

WM movie does well, nobody likes newStark, he gets the axe, Disney ponies up $$$ for RDJ

Avengers 3 has RDJ as Tony. Every time Tony enters a scene, cue random cast member looking at him incredulously.

"Where've you been?"
    Tox on
    3h5Wc.png
    Secret Satans! Post | D&D Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
    they ask 60 year old tony
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Tox wrote: »

WM movie does well, nobody likes newStark, he gets the axe, Disney ponies up $$$ for RDJ

Avengers 3 has RDJ as Tony. Every time Tony enters a scene, cue random cast member looking at him incredulously.

"Where've you been?"

Or the new Stark is well liked by the public. Downey Jr. retires to the Bahamas with his fuck you money.
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

"Where've you been?"

Or the new Stark is well liked by the public. Downey Jr. retires to the Bahamas with his fuck you money.

That seems rather mean-spirited for RDJ.

Who by all accounts seems to be a really nice, cool dude.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • YukiraYukira Fuck with Aria? No.Registered User regular
    Ben Kingsley was amazing in this.
    I did not expect him to be a method actor. That was pretty hilarious. Just no idea what was happening outside of his palace.
    2s8mg4g.jpg
    But seriously, I think if they adopted a new actor for Tony Stark they'd be smart to have him cameo first before launching into a solo or ensemble film.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    "You've reached the Life Model Decoy of Tony Stark..."
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    just you wait

they're totally gonna do teen tony
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    god i hope to all hell Disney doesn't get prequel fever with Marvel

at least not live action prequel fever

they can do what they want with animation.
    Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    Nogs wrote: »

I don't consider it a bad thing for Marvel to eventually do prequels.
    the animation on it is really shitty, but the teenage tony cartoon is actually written pretty well.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    @Solar, what is your opinion on athlete salaries and college athletes?

Not trying to argue but I'm genuinely curious as to your stance on salaries and all the factors associated
    s5DoctorFezSunSig.png?t=1306367580.png
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    not entirely sure I want an endless string of avengers movies

but we'll see
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular

how though?

i mean they could do 'in between' movies.

or like

other characters that take place before iron man or something

but how do you do actual prequels of people's favorite characters when the first movies are literally origin stories.

best you can do is reboot the franchise
    rotate.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    yeah I'd be okay with movies that are chronologically before other movies, like captain america

but please no Iron Man 0
    personaqn.png
  • AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    yeah I'd be okay with movies that are chronologically before other movies, like captain america

but please no Iron Man 0

I think we saw the extent of Iron Man 0 that I personally care for in Iron Man 3.

Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Hey guys, before we complain about stars getting obscene amounts of money, just remember that someone will be getting that profit money, and if it isn't the actors, it's most likely the studio.

The studio earning a profit on a film isn't inherently bad.

But the studios are much better at hiding their profits.
    [

but we'll see

I think its more likely that we'll see a hiatus for avengers and the like as we move into phase three and they start new franchises

[

but we'll see

I think its more likely that we'll see a hiatus for avengers and the like as we move into phase three and they start new franchises

how though?

i mean they could do 'in between' movies.

or like

other characters that take place before iron man or something

but how do you do actual prequels of people's favorite characters when the first movies are literally origin stories.

best you can do is reboot the franchise

With prequels the they don't have to focus so much on placing them in the current schedule with other prequels, unless they were all tied together which they don't need to be. That said, you're right the only franchise that's possible to do a prequel with is Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye or Nick Fury. Everyone else is not prequel material in a super-hero sense unless they want to make pre-Iron Man Tony Stark going on adventures.*

* which there might be an audience for, but not in the super-hero/action hero genre
    Why would Marvel do prequel films when they can continue to build their universe through more stand alone films?
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Why would Marvel do prequel films when they can continue to build their universe through more stand alone films?

Well if they handle it like GG suggested, where you build worlds we've gotten a glimpse of through such prequels that may introduce new characters, that I'd be totally down for.
    daft2.gif

It'd be a nice break for a few years than go back to the next Phase or something to fill in an empty slot. They can build the universe further with prequels, too.

It'd be a nice break for a few years than go back to the next Phase or something to fill in an empty slot. They can build the universe further with prequels, too.

But the Marvel films are built so heavily around origin stories.

I mean I certainly see the allure what with being able to build a film around an already known character/actor, but I think it's be easier to just do stand-alone films.

Stand-alone films which don't have to continue the overall narrative of the MCU.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod

I mean I certainly see the allure what with being able to build a film around an already known character/actor, but I think it's be easier to just do stand-alone films.

Stand-alone films which don't have to continue the overall narrative of the MCU.

eh, they were heavily based around origin stories, but they've done two Iron Man sequels, a Hulk movie that put the origin in the opening credits, and they've got Cap and Thor sequels on the way

so I dunno
    Frankly I don't care about what Tony Stark/Steve Rogers/Bruce Banner were doing before becoming heroes.

If you were going to do a prequel film I'd say a nice choices might be one about SHIELD and its formation.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    Give me a Warriors Three movie
    daft2.gif

Marvel hasn't had a choice. They need origin stories to introduce these new series to the audience who don't know anything about them until recently. Its only in Phase 2 that they've had the chance to do more then origin stories, excluding Iron Man 2.

They don't have to but the option's there. Prequels can go either way.
    I'd hate to see Marvel do a sequel just to cash in.

If you do a prequel do it for a good reason.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    well they're gonna have to do a doom prequel when they get doom back and have to explain what he was up to during the events of the previous movies
    xutFvZ4.gif