Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    If you earn more than a million dollars/pounds/euros (alter as applicable) you should get taxed at, like

a 99% rate

I am not even joking

Solar why do you want to unjustly punish these people for being successful
    Maybe if you worked harder and pulled yourself up by your bootstraps you could achieve this too, but no, you'd rather wallow in your lazy jealousy
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    If you earn more than a million dollars/pounds/euros (alter as applicable) you should get taxed at, like

a 99% rate

I am not even joking

Solar why do you want to unjustly punish these people for being successful
    Maybe if you worked harder and pulled yourself up by your bootstraps you could achieve this too, but no, you'd rather wallow in your lazy jealousy

stop being my dad/mom to an extent

"flat tax, completely fair!"
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    well I am both lazy and jealous

but so are lots of rich people!
    Solar on
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Like, I get the whole "oh you're being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to work for a few months shut up" mentality. Don't necessarily agree with it, but I get it.

But they don't seem to be whining or throwing fits, if Hemsworth is being paid millions less in Thor 2, where he is the titular lead character, than he was for playing the secondary lead in Snow White and the Huntsman something is not right.

Why would actors want to do a job that requires them to go on crazy workout regimens and diets and tons of insane stunts over the course of months when they can do other stuff that might be less stressful for significantly more money?
    But no if someone earns half a million and cannot be happy until they earn a million

well

find another way to be happy and give that pay rise to charity or something
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular
    RDJ is a major reason that Iron Man was the success that it was. If it had been another actor in that role, I find it hard to believe the film would have worked at all, especially given the way it was made, with all the improv and such

He got some good contracts, particularly on Avengers, because no one quite thought it would happen, let alone blow up like it did. If Marvel is being stingy now, it's probably in response to that stuff

But I can't quite blame him for fighting for his perceived worth, particularly when, to the vast majority of the movie-going public, RDJ is ineffably Tony Stark
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Like, I get the whole "oh you're being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to work for a few months shut up" mentality. Don't necessarily agree with it, but I get it.

But they don't seem to be whining or throwing fits, if Hemsworth is being paid millions less in Thor 2, where he is the titular lead character, than he was for playing the secondary lead in Snow White and the Huntsman something is not right.

Why would actors want to do a job that requires them to go on crazy workout regimens and diets and tons of insane stunts over the course of months when they can do other stuff that might be less stressful for significantly more money?

Sure they might choose easier jobs that they enjoy more

that's fine

if Marvel don't pay enough and it looses them the actors it looses them the actors

but if anyone ever tries to pretend that they are on the moral high ground because they didn't let those corporate bastards shill them, they asked for ten million instead of five! then seriously, no.

No.
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    I'm disgusted by Marvel fucking over their star by only giving him seventy five million dollars
    personaqn.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    RDJ is a major reason that Iron Man was the success that it was. If it had been another actor in that role, I find it hard to believe the film would have worked at all, especially given the way it was made, with all the improv and such

He got some good contracts, particularly on Avengers, because no one quite thought it would happen, let alone blow up like it did. If Marvel is being stingy now, it's probably in response to that stuff

But I can't quite blame him for fighting for his perceived worth, particularly when, to the vast majority of the movie-going public, RDJ is ineffably Tony Stark

For now. Recast the role with a great actor in a great movie and the public will move on.
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    But no if someone earns half a million and cannot be happy until they earn a million

well

Why are you assuming happiness is a major proponent of this?
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • WheatBun01WheatBun01 Registered User regular
    Holy shit this thread moves fast.

Also, mostly joking Iron Man recasting option: James Franco.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular

well

If someone pays you X amount and you feel you deserve Y amount, shouldn't you ask for Y amount?

Keep in mind the people you are asking Y amount from are colossally richer than you anyway.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Benedict Cumberbach IS Tony Stark
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Like, an actor isn't just an actor in a film.

They are a signal to investors and such. They are a business item to bring in more money via investors.

And they are a name and reputation for movie-going audiences. Talking to coworkers about Iron Man 3 they are kind of excited to see it but the #1 reason given for that is RDJ. He is the pull. Not the story or the special effects.

And the fact that he can bring in major capital via investors as well as fill seats with just his name/reputation is the reason he deserves a higher salary.
    Zonugal on
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    all of these taxing the rich ideas seem eminently reasonable
  • sarukunsarukun Carl Edgar Blake II Nerd-King of BaconRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, Don Cheadle was totally on par with RDJ in Iron Man 3. He deserves at the very least a small appearance in Avengers 2.

I was kind of bummed he didn't get more screen time. I've no idea where you would have shoe-horned it in, but... fuck it, just make a War Machine flick.
    sarukun on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist Look at the faces. Listen to the bells. It's hard to believe we need a place called hell.Registered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »

I remember reading somewhere that Tom Cruise was considered before RDJ.
    watchman25ia7ku.jpg291.gif
    Steam: cristke
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    The real question is does their pay take into account how cool it would be to be a superhero?

Like if a small child on the street looked at me and said "Iron Man!" than it would probably be worth taking a smaller paycheck in the end.

I am only half-joking.
    Zonugal wrote: »

They are a signal to investors and such. They are a business item to bring in more money via investors.

And they are a name and reputation for movie-going audiences. Talking to coworkers about Iron Man 3 they are kind of excited to see it but the #1 reason given for that is RDJ. He is the pull. Not the story or the special effects.

And the fact that he can bring in major capital via investors as well as fill seats with just his name/reputation is the reason he deserves a higher salary.

It isn't only actors who are responsible for audiences wanting to see a movie. Its the characters they play and whether they think the movie will be good. Franchises come into play, as well. A successful brand is something audiences know what they're getting and want more from. Audiences don't want to see Downey jr. they want to see him play Tony Stark.
    WheatBun01 wrote: »

I remember reading somewhere that Tom Cruise was considered before RDJ.

Thank god that didn't happen.
    sarukun wrote: »
    Yeah, Don Cheadle was totally on par with RDJ in Iron Man 3. He deserves at the very least a small appearance in Avengers 2.

I was kind of bummed he didn't get more screen time. I've no idea where you would have shoe-horned it in, but... fuck it, just make a War Machine flick.

A slot opened up for the team if Tony Stark has "retired" from being a super-hero.
    Joolander wrote: »
    Benedict Cumberbach IS Tony Stark, Nick Fury, Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanov and Clint Barton.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Well you know I don't really have much sympathy for people who demand a massive increase on their paycheck which is orders of magnitude more than what regular people earn in the same time period.
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

I mean, yes they are getting paid huge sums of money regardless but they aren't really being greedy at all. Marvel is offering Hemsworth less than he got for being in Snow White and the Huntsman to return in Avengers 2, the sequel to the third highest grossing film of all time.

They're being really stingy and cheap.

Saying "well they should be happy with what they are getting" is kind of missing the point, Marvel isn't offering anywhere near what pretty much any other studio would be in this situation.

Yeah I honestly don't give a shit

if you think you absolutely deserve, say, ten million instead of five million for a movie you made, then fine, negotiate for it, but I don't think it is massively morally defensible to do so. Perhaps not morally wrong, but I do kind of want to say to these people "you are rich as fuck stop complaining."

Won't someone think of the poor production studios not being able to pocket that difference
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

well

You understand that people do things with money that isn't buying a house or a new jet ski, right?

Like, say, doing other work for free or almost free or making your own production which costs millions and millions of dollars. Or on the lower end starting your own business which can take massive capital
    PoQ0cUz.jpg

It isn't only actors who are responsible for audiences wanting to see a movie. Its the characters they play and whether they think the movie will be good. Franchises come into play, as well. A successful brand is something audiences know what they're getting and want more from. Audiences don't want to see Downey jr. they want to see him play Tony Stark.

All of those are important factors.

But not nearly as big as an actor's name & reputation.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Will all of you poors quit bitching about this already
    edited May 2013
    The Lone Ranger? I'd argue that is being made and will do okay to well because of Johnny Depp.

That is how powerful an actor is within the business framework of the movie industry.
    Zonugal on
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Will all of you poors quit bitching about this already

But talk is cheap!

Unlike groceries or rent or gas or...

Oh God, HELP ME!?!?!?!
    garland_greene_sig.jpg

That didn't seem to matter when Downey Jr. was first cast in Iron Man. That didn't stop it from being a critical and financial success.
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    Solar's arguments sound silly if you take away a couple of zeroes.
    daft1sig.gif
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Solar's arguments sound silly if you take away a couple of zeroes.

I dunno

a 99% rate

I am not even joking

1,000,000 x 1% = 10,000
  • A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Well you know I don't really have much sympathy for people who demand a massive increase on their paycheck which is orders of magnitude more than what regular people earn in the same time period.
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

I mean, yes they are getting paid huge sums of money regardless but they aren't really being greedy at all. Marvel is offering Hemsworth less than he got for being in Snow White and the Huntsman to return in Avengers 2, the sequel to the third highest grossing film of all time.

Saying "well they should be happy with what they are getting" is kind of missing the point, Marvel isn't offering anywhere near what pretty much any other studio would be in this situation.

You can't give all the big name actors a cut of the gross.

Part of it is going the be consistent, high paying work. That's why there are multiple movie contracts.

There is a reason people thought Avengers was a pipe dream, reason one being the salary of so many A-listers.

No surprise that Natalie Portman was referenced in a through away line and not in the movie.

the only one in the cast approaching a-lister status is downey jr.

One could argue Samuel L. Jackson is an A-list actor.

He's also a guy that'll take a role just to get out of the house.
    Favorite quotes
    trentsteel wrote:
    C'mon now

He invented rape rooms

Let's show a little respect.
    Tube's just used to lifting to get the guys.

Curls might get the girls, but to catch bears you need traps.

That didn't seem to matter when Downey Jr. was first cast in Iron Man. That didn't stop it from being a critical and financial success.

And Hugh Jackman wasn't a huge star in 2000 when X-Men came out.

It isn't a concrete, absolute rule.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2013

And Hugh Jackman wasn't a huge star in 2000 when X-Men came out.

It isn't a concrete, absolute rule.

Wasn't he a late fill-in for somebody else? Talk about lucking out.
    A duck! on
    Favorite quotes
    trentsteel wrote:
    C'mon now

He invented rape rooms

Let's show a little respect.
    Tube's just used to lifting to get the guys.

Curls might get the girls, but to catch bears you need traps.
    A duck! wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhhhhh

You can't give all the big name actors a cut of the gross.

Part of it is going the be consistent, high paying work. That's why there are multiple movie contracts.

There is a reason people thought Avengers was a pipe dream, reason one being the salary of so many A-listers.

No surprise that Natalie Portman was referenced in a through away line and not in the movie.

the only one in the cast approaching a-lister status is downey jr.

One could argue Samuel L. Jackson is an A-list actor.

He's also a guy that'll take a role just to get out of the house.

Can't blame him. Being a film actor seems like a fun line of work.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    Hey guys, before we complain about stars getting obscene amounts of money, just remember that someone will be getting that profit money, and if it isn't the actors, it's most likely the studio.

Because 9% think it's too high, and shouldn't be cut! 9% of respondents could not fully
    get their arms around the question. There should be another box you can check for, "I
    have utterly no idea what you're talking about. Please, God, don't ask for my input."