Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I just figured the heat was a beneficial side effect to the whole "sometimes they explode" glitch.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    quibbles my brother had re: Iron Man 3
    he wasn't a fan of AIM just being evil, he was hoping for an amoral and curious science group like in Hickman's run, and he was also hoping for the beekeeper suits

why did Extremis give fire powers when it was just supposed to heal in the movie

why wasn't the super soldier serum referenced at all, even in passing, as a point of comparison to Extremis
    because healing, generating new tissue, requires massive amounts of energy, and massive amounts of energy create heat. think about why you get a fever when you get sick, it's because your body is working overtime to generate new white blood cells to fight a virus. Extremis puts the body on overdrive to create new cells. the overdrive is so severe that it generates massive amounts of heat.

probably because the super soldier serum is, I think, still mostly classified unless you're in the military.
    fyi you don't know how bodies work

the heat when you get a fever is the reaction of your body's homeostasis to the infection, trying to kill the offending organism by cooking it to death

dunno where you got that "heating up because more white blood cells" rot
    what happened is that I googled "why do we get a fever" and found this:

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/mar/why-we-get-fevers
    To see how body heat influences ­infection-fighting white blood cells, Evans put mice in a hot box that brought the mice’s temperature up to 103 degrees, then injected fluorescently dyed white blood cells into them.

Compared with unheated mice, the animals with the faux fever had twice as many white blood cells migrating out of the blood vessels and into the lymph tissue that lines the skin and gut, which is where they need to be to attack incoming pathogens. “A fever can help rather than hurt you,” she says.

seems to indicate that heating up helps with the production of white blood cells
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hey you know who would have had opinions on Iron Man 3?

Spex

I miss Spex
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Spex

I miss Spex

his account seems to be unbanned
    15Tpj.jpeg
    I know!

come back to us @Spectre-X !
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Spex

I miss Spex

his account seems to be unbanned

If I recall correctly around when he was banned he wrote a big manifesto on his tumblr about how terrible of a place this was and he'd never come back ever ever.

So yeah.
  • sarukunsarukun Carl Edgar Blake II Nerd-King of BaconRegistered User regular
    Which is hilarious, because frankly SE++ is as pleasant a place to be as it has ever been.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    it's kind of amazing watching him compose rants within the confines of Twitter now

he hates Joss Whedon so much
    Centipede Damascus on
    I am trying to find this rant on Spex's tumblr

sadly searching is no use...
    IQ41voQ.jpg
    I am trying to find this rant on Spex's tumblr

sadly searching is no use...

I tried to find it on twitter but it only goes back to January this year.

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure this is a thing that happened.
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    i wish it were more of a brighter blue but it's pretty great
    15Tpj.jpeg
    personally I like the suit when it's more of a navy blue
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Thought that was an argument between two crazy hobos for a minute there.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
    I

Love

Paul Giamatti

yeah well I like your face

I

I mean I

er
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    The heat comes from the same place the Hulk's mass comes from.
    daft1sig.gif
  • GustavGustav Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I keep getting more and more excited for the next Spider-Man. I don't know that I expect it to be good, but man does it look like it is shaping up to be wild.
    Gustav on
    dYjxf8P.jpg
    *Backwood Folk *Eve of the Ozarks *Tumblr
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    NOTE: Reposted from Movies thread--this seems more on topic here.

I really, really wanted to like Iron Man 3. And while viewing it, I enjoyed it, so there is that. But upon reflection, there were some problems that emerged:
    -Why did Pepper not have her own armor? Shit, they did this in the comics so it's not without precedent. They even get her in Tony's at one point! I think that would have been a much better direction to take things in.

-Tony's armor(s) seem(s) to switch back and forth between being made of glass and metal. And the ending? He couldn't get out of each suit fast enough. No consistency. And then Iron Patriot was giving the baddies all that trouble when they were trying to breach it. It almost felt like, when the suit was actually there (real prop) it was solid seeming, but as soon as it switched to CG, it became super fragile again. Just, ugh.

-So... he had all those suits down in his basement the whole time? I guess they were still being assembled or something, though? That whole thing was super fast and loose. Felt too obviously like a Deus Ex Machina moment and rubbed me the wrong way.

-Now Tony's remote controlling his suits? That's just... disappointing. And defeats the premise of Iron Man.

-The panic attacks were not written well. I just didn't buy them.

-Dat kid. Is he comic relief or is he someone we should be sympathizing with? Pick one. I mean, the kid did fine. Tony's banter with him struck the wrong chord, though. It wasn't cute--Tony was just being a douchebag, and not the kind that you like either.

-That brings me to my next point: Tony felt schizophrenic in this one. Just... not as cohesive, character-wise. I can't quite put my finger on it. And he came across as more asshole-ish this time around--like, a little too much in that direction for my tastes.

-So... when did the bad guys get remote control over the Iron Patriot? Isn't that the kind of system Tony had to design his suit from the ground up to implement? And isn't the Iron Patriot just a re-painted War Machine (old tech)? It seems like putting the President into War Machine would be the kind of plan that might backfire. And yet it didn't.

-Pepper has Extremis! Cool beans! Oh, wait, that's a problem or something, so mumble, mumble she's better now!

-That pesky shard of metal near my heart? Hell, let's just get it out of there, nbd! Boy, I wonder why I never did this in the first place!

-"I am Iron Man, with or without my armor!" Nope, you're just Tony Stark without the armor, bud. Why the fuck would you let a woman convince you to destroy your work? Especially when it's single-handedly responsible for saving New York from nuclear obliteration? Seems a bit necessary to me.

I guess I had more problems with it than I realized.

JagerLord22.jpg

Steam Id: Jager2
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    The heat comes from the same place the Hulk's mass comes from.

The hulk stores ambient gamma radiation while hes banner and converts it to mass when he transforms. The gamma bomb super charged him.
    King Riptor on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    look, if you have more than five issues with plot and characterization you should probably just make your own movie
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    NOTE:
    "I am Iron Man, with or without my armor!" Nope, you're just Tony Stark without the armor, bud. Why the fuck would you let a woman convince you to destroy your work? Especially when it's single-handedly responsible for saving New York from nuclear obliteration? Seems a bit necessary to me.

I... wow. I'm kind of not even sure where to start with that thought.

You could start with him missing the point of Tony's character arc.

or

You could start with him coming off as sexist.
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314

yeah well I like your face

I

I mean I

er

72.jpg
    yes

yes that is me on the right

what of it
    IQ41voQ.jpg
    I

Love

Paul Giamatti

Wait

is Paul Giamatti the Rhino?
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Iron Man 3 query:
    how many people besides The Lovely Bastard and I recognized the Man-Thing nod without assistance

@Antimatter

Yo
    daft2.gif
    sarukun wrote: »
    I

Love

Paul Giamatti

Wait

yup
    the Rhino was one of his favorite childhood characters
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    I

Love

Paul Giamatti

Wait

Yup.
  • A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod

I really, really wanted to like Iron Man 3. And while viewing it, I enjoyed it, so there is that. But upon reflection, there were some problems that emerged:
    -So... he had all those suits down in his basement the whole time? I guess they were still being assembled or something, though? That whole thing was super fast and loose. Felt too obviously like a Deus Ex Machina moment and rubbed me the wrong way.

Did you chug some Robitussin before you saw this? There's a comedic moment about exactly this point early on. The number of his current armor wasn't just a random choice.
    Favorite quotes
    trentsteel wrote:
    C'mon now

He invented rape rooms

Let's show a little respect.
    Tube's just used to lifting to get the guys.

Curls might get the girls, but to catch bears you need traps.
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

Did you chug some Robitussin before you saw this? There's a comedic moment about exactly this point early on. The number of his current armor wasn't just a random choice.

unlike this bar in town that started out as Cover 3 and then they built a new one called Cover 2 and I'm like guys, you are pretty realistic about your business growth, well done
    I

Love

Paul Giamatti

Wait

yup
    the Rhino was one of his favorite childhood characters

T-T

Tears

Tears of joy.
    edited May 2013
    PS holy shit, PG got stacked like a freight train for this, holy shit.

That is 5 fee, 8 inches of smashin' right there.
    sarukun on
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    NOTE:
    "I am Iron Man, with or without my armor!" Nope, you're just Tony Stark without the armor, bud. Why the fuck would you let a woman convince you to destroy your work? Especially when it's single-handedly responsible for saving New York from nuclear obliteration? Seems a bit necessary to me.

I actually kind of agree with one part of that..
    Operation Clean Sweep seems to be a bit callous and shows complete disregard for all of his work. I don't feel like any real craftsman would do that to his creations.

I don't want to touch the misogyny with an army of autonomous robots, though.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »

unlike this bar in town that started out as Cover 3 and then they built a new one called Cover 2 and I'm like guys, you are pretty realistic about your business growth, well done

Haha, I had the same thought when I saw that too.
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    LTM wrote: »
    NOTE:

I actually kind of agree with one part of that..
    Operation Clean Sweep seems to be a bit callous and shows complete disregard for all of his work. I don't feel like any real craftsman would do that to his creations.

I don't want to touch the misogyny with an army of autonomous robots, though.

The way I took that was
    The copious amount of armors was a coping mechanism. His initiating of Operation Clean Sweep was him recognizing that it was unhealthy to waste away his life building armor after armor, and instead focusing on what was important in his life (in this case, Pepper).

The "I am Iron Man." at the end, coupled with his recovery of some of the lab equipment, makes me think that he's not going to give up actually being Iron Man or building suits. I think he just need a fresh start after spending the past few months doing nothing but making armors and dealing with his anxiety. Now when he makes a suit of armor or two, it won't be because he can't sleep at night.

Right, no, that was what they were aiming for with that arc.

I just didn't entirely like how it played out.
    The suits are humanized during the fight scene, and take on their own personalities. They saved his ass, then he just callously blows them all up.

It'd be something if he was just scrapping a giant pile of non-functional armor, but it wasn't. I actually felt bad for the suits at that point.

I get that he's a man, not just the occupant of a suit, but they are also more than just metal and programming and deserve better.