Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    ahaha
    daft1sig.gif
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    sometimes its like you people can just summon Geth
  • SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    LTM wrote: »
    LTM wrote: »
    NOTE:
    "I am Iron Man, with or without my armor!" Nope, you're just Tony Stark without the armor, bud. Why the fuck would you let a woman convince you to destroy your work? Especially when it's single-handedly responsible for saving New York from nuclear obliteration? Seems a bit necessary to me.

I... wow. I'm kind of not even sure where to start with that thought.

I actually kind of agree with one part of that..
    Operation Clean Sweep seems to be a bit callous and shows complete disregard for all of his work. I don't feel like any real craftsman would do that to his creations.

I don't want to touch the misogyny with an army of autonomous robots, though.

The way I took that was
    The copious amount of armors was a coping mechanism. His initiating of Operation Clean Sweep was him recognizing that it was unhealthy to waste away his life building armor after armor, and instead focusing on what was important in his life (in this case, Pepper).

The "I am Iron Man." at the end, coupled with his recovery of some of the lab equipment, makes me think that he's not going to give up actually being Iron Man or building suits. I think he just need a fresh start after spending the past few months doing nothing but making armors and dealing with his anxiety. Now when he makes a suit of armor or two, it won't be because he can't sleep at night.

Right, no, that was what they were aiming for with that arc.

I just didn't entirely like how it played out.
    The suits are humanized during the fight scene, and take on their own personalities. They saved his ass, then he just callously blows them all up.

It'd be something if he was just scrapping a giant pile of non-functional armor, but it wasn't. I actually felt bad for the suits at that point.

I get that he's a man, not just the occupant of a suit, but they are also more than just metal and programming and deserve better.

No they're not
    They're just metal
    They're not even programming! Jarvis is controlling them all in that fight scene
    I mean, if they felt more human to you then, okay, that's your perspective
    But they are still just hunks of metal (hastily slapped together metal at that) and I don't think blowing them up is any real crime

edit: as ever, @Langly has bested me

It's all true

it hurts me on the inside though

:[
    NSxe4l9.png
    edited May 2013
    I knew all their names

:cry:
    Seriously on
    NSxe4l9.png
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    Regarding your guys discussions of how Tony handled the New York incident I think it is important to remember his first fight with Thor.

Up to that point Tony kind of handles every situation pretty well with his suits. If his suit is at full-power then he isn't really in any major emergency. Iron Monger? Hammer Drones? Vanko? All of those weren't really difficult for Tony to defeat.

But then comes this blond viking dude from the sky who can summon lightning and with his bare hands crack Tony's titanium suit.

And this is arguably the first point in the MCU where Iron Man would absolutely lose.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Seriously, though, Jarvis is probably the least plausible thing in any of these movies.
    Less plausible then Killian breathing fire?
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
  • sarukunsarukun Carl Edgar Blake II Nerd-King of BaconRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Seriously, though, Jarvis is probably the least plausible thing in any of these movies.

Big time.
    I was kind of weird seeing Don Cheadle in this film because I am so used to him from House of Lies.

Where he plays the biggest asshole ever.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg

Big time.

I easily accept a hyper-advanced AI over that.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg

Big time.

How much do you know about...

computer?
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

Big time.

yeah I agree
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    I actually had that exact thought during the movie
    NSxe4l9.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i think something that could lead people to be frustrated with tony is that
    he did need all those suits to save the day

Chalk that up to movie luck. Itll undoubtedly never be brought up again

Or a throw away line in Avengers 2 where
    He claims his new suit is just as strong as every past suit he's had put together. And honestly if we are just including the ones in the ending fight that might be true. Because those things were shit.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    Yeah Jarvis is super unrealistic

At the same time though his whole existence has always been the single coolest thing about Tony Stark to me, since the first movie.

More than the Iron Man armor itself, I wanted Tony Stark's house.
    acblackflag.jpg
    Yeah Jarvis is super unrealistic

At the same time though his whole existence has always been the single coolest thing about Tony Stark to me, since the first movie.

More than the Iron Man armor itself, I wanted Tony Stark's house.

Also its consistent with movie AI's so I don't really care. Sci-fi has always been pretty lose with technology.
    detail-1.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the creation of a artificial intelligence powerful enough to be self-aware, to fully understand human speech and make complex decisions, would literally be the single-greatest achievement on that planet until first contact was made.

Making an AI intelligent enough that it can make inferences, understand sarcasm and generally emulate human thinking like JARVIS does is even more incredible.
    Undead Scottsman on
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg

Big time.

computer?

They are really powerful calculators right?
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    why isn't jarvis on the avengers

If you count him residing in Avengers Tower, he most likely will be in Avengers 2
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    I like the way you think, Anti.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    avengers 3 is basically the plot of terminator 2 but with jarvis instead of skynet

does marvel have the rights to nimrod and cable for the roles of t-1000 and t-800
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    as of IM3
    there is no reason not to give Jarvis a suit that he could man without Tony inside
    i would've been fine with a hammer drone but honestly it'd be hilarious to see Jarvis being a proper butler within an iron man suit, maybe done up in black and white as if it were a butler's fabric suit

that would have been awesome, and a great extension of the character.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Oh god what if Jarvis becomes Ultron D:
    as of IM3
    there is no reason not to give Jarvis a suit that he could man without Tony inside
    i would've been fine with a hammer drone but honestly it'd be hilarious to see Jarvis being a proper butler within an iron man suit, maybe done up in black and white as if it were a butler's fabric suit

You'll never talk me out of liking Iron Man 3* but you may just convince me it could have been infinitely better.

*Not that you've been trying
    detail-1.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    honestly i have been wanting that for the last few months, though (Iron Man 3 spoilers I suppose)
    I didnt think of the suits being controlled without a person inside, I didnt think they were solid enough. I totally thought a Hammer drone would've worked, though, Tony being a dick and using one as a trophy basically.
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I wonder how self-aware Jarvis is
    like, I don't think he would be able to disobey an order

though I guess self-awareness and self-determination are different concepts so maybe I should have phrased that differently
    honestly i have been wanting that for the last few months, though (Iron Man 3 spoilers I suppose)
    I didnt think of the suits being controlled without a person inside, I didnt think they were solid enough. I totally thought a Hammer drone would've worked, though, Tony being a dick and using one as a trophy basically.

My presumption is
    Every suit Pre-Ironman 3 couldn't be remote piloted. The suits all being remote controlled seems to be an early sign of the mental breakdown that led to the Mk 42. The need to be able to get to his armor at any time.
    detail-1.jpg
    edited May 2013

Big time.

computer?

They are really powerful calculators right?

Now imagine a calculator so powerful that it is basically a person.

Hahahaha, farmin' Geth awesomes today, I guess.
    sarukun on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    If we can make Geth

We can make Jarvis
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant Registered User regular
    Need a "Cap meets and is instantly confused and terrified by JARVIS" moment in Avengers 2
    "Now, tell me if this smells like...YOUR DOOM!"
    I kind of wish we had had more "Captain America struggles with modern day everything" in Avengers
    acblackflag.jpg