Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    operation clean sweep totally fits into tony's character. not just because of the character arc or the events of the movie, but because i can totally buy tony stark, as a person, having the ability to say "NOPE I CAN DO BETTER" and then immediately destroying all of his old armors in order to make for new ones. that is a very tony stark thing to do.

also i will forever love that man-thing nod. let's have a young jennifer kale playing in a swamp next marvel movie.
    MIDNIGHT SONS PHASE 3
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    operation clean sweep totally fits into tony's character. not just because of the character arc or the events of the movie, but because i can totally buy tony stark, as a person, having the ability to say "NOPE I CAN DO BETTER" and then immediately destroying all of his old armors in order to make for new ones. that is a very tony stark thing to do.

also i will forever love that man-thing nod. let's have a young jennifer kale playing in a swamp next marvel movie.
    MIDNIGHT SONS PHASE 3
    no.

daydreamers, phase 3.

crossover with big hero 6
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    -Tal wrote: »
    well then why does he say excuse me

I mean I know you don't hear a sneeze or cough but I just assumed he's using his powers to do it in a way that's inaudible but still scratches the mic

I was under the impression that it's someone interrupting them and Superman has to leave the interview to go save a burning house full of puppies somewhere across the city or something.
    Goatmon on
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    The heat comes from the same place the Hulk's mass comes from.

So, Z-Space.
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
  • SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    I saw this it was pretty good
    NSxe4l9.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular

MIDNIGHT SONS PHASE 3
    no.

daydreamers, phase 3.

franklin richards is tied up with Fox YOUR IDEA IS BUSTED
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    LTM wrote: »
    NOTE:
    "I am Iron Man, with or without my armor!" Nope, you're just Tony Stark without the armor, bud. Why the fuck would you let a woman convince you to destroy your work? Especially when it's single-handedly responsible for saving New York from nuclear obliteration? Seems a bit necessary to me.

I... wow. I'm kind of not even sure where to start with that thought.

I actually kind of agree with one part of that..
    Operation Clean Sweep seems to be a bit callous and shows complete disregard for all of his work. I don't feel like any real craftsman would do that to his creations.

I don't want to touch the misogyny with an army of autonomous robots, though.

The way I took that was
    The copious amount of armors was a coping mechanism. His initiating of Operation Clean Sweep was him recognizing that it was unhealthy to waste away his life building armor after armor, and instead focusing on what was important in his life (in this case, Pepper).

The "I am Iron Man." at the end, coupled with his recovery of some of the lab equipment, makes me think that he's not going to give up actually being Iron Man or building suits. I think he just need a fresh start after spending the past few months doing nothing but making armors and dealing with his anxiety. Now when he makes a suit of armor or two, it won't be because he can't sleep at night.

Right, no, that was what they were aiming for with that arc.

I just didn't entirely like how it played out.
    The suits are humanized during the fight scene, and take on their own personalities. They saved his ass, then he just callously blows them all up.

It'd be something if he was just scrapping a giant pile of non-functional armor, but it wasn't. I actually felt bad for the suits at that point.

I get that he's a man, not just the occupant of a suit, but they are also more than just metal and programming and deserve better.
    well they don't have personalities, and they're all jarvis. they're just metal.

also
    tony has already been established as someone who doesn't put emotional ties to his creations. He threw away his first chest implant because "it's garbage now, I built a new one." He's sentimental about Dummy, but that's more of an extended joke than anything else. He moves forward, not back

Total tangent but you just reminded me of the saddest moment in the movie.
    In the midst of the helicopter attack, one of the robot arms (probably Dummy) reaching for another mostly broken one.
    he gets recovered, at least!
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh my. Best Geth awesome ever
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular

MIDNIGHT SONS PHASE 3
    no.

daydreamers, phase 3.

oh man you went the franklin richards route and not HEY LEECH WAS IN X-3 CAN'T BE DONE, DOGG. I'm kinda disappointed.
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    DE?AD wrote: »
    But seriously, I think we can all agree that what this movie really needed was a ten story tall alien dragon named Fin Fang Foom.
    Killian doesn't die. The explosion destroys the dock, and what's left of him plummets to the bottom of the bay. Trapped under water, buried under wreckage, his Extremis-enhanced regenerative abilities go haywire.

Months later, a dozen miles away,he hauls himself out of the water. His pants (all he was wearing at the time) tattered but somehow still hanging to him. Sunbathers scream and run away, all of them seeming somehow... smaller.

...aaaand I just realized how well this would work as a set up for a Hulk solo movie.
    Two big green guys fighting + Banner having to talk down another scientist who accidentally turned himself into a monster.
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Saw this yesterday. Ben Kingsley is the best.
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    NOTE:
    "I am Iron Man, with or without my armor!" Nope, you're just Tony Stark without the armor, bud. Why the fuck would you let a woman convince you to destroy your work? Especially when it's single-handedly responsible for saving New York from nuclear obliteration? Seems a bit necessary to me.

Operation Clean Sweep seems to be a bit callous and shows complete disregard for all of his work. I don't feel like any real craftsman would do that to his creations.

The way I took that was
    The copious amount of armors was a coping mechanism. His initiating of Operation Clean Sweep was him recognizing that it was unhealthy to waste away his life building armor after armor, and instead focusing on what was important in his life (in this case, Pepper).

The "I am Iron Man." at the end, coupled with his recovery of some of the lab equipment, makes me think that he's not going to give up actually being Iron Man or building suits. I think he just need a fresh start after spending the past few months doing nothing but making armors and dealing with his anxiety. Now when he makes a suit of armor or two, it won't be because he can't sleep at night.

The suits are humanized during the fight scene, and take on their own personalities. They saved his ass, then he just callously blows them all up.

It'd be something if he was just scrapping a giant pile of non-functional armor, but it wasn't. I actually felt bad for the suits at that point.

I get that he's a man, not just the occupant of a suit, but they are also more than just metal and programming and deserve better.

also
    tony has already been established as someone who doesn't put emotional ties to his creations. He threw away his first chest implant because "it's garbage now, I built a new one." He's sentimental about Dummy, but that's more of an extended joke than anything else. He moves forward, not back

In the midst of the helicopter attack, one of the robot arms (probably Dummy) reaching for another mostly broken one.
    They recovered Dummy but it looked like the other one was pretty fucked.

..Though I dunno if they're separate AIs or just all controlled by Jarvis or what.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Only Tony's suits are operated by JARVIS. His helpers are simple robots.

MIDNIGHT SONS PHASE 3
    no.

daydreamers, phase 3.

oh man you went the franklin richards route and not HEY LEECH WAS IN X-3 CAN'T BE DONE, DOGG. I'm kinda disappointed.
    that'd involve remembering anything about X3, i purged all x-men related memories years ago

what's a nathaniel grey
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    NOTE:

The way I took that was

also

They recovered Dummy but it looked like the other one was pretty fucked.

..Though I dunno if they're separate AIs or just all controlled by Jarvis or what.
    In either case, even if Pepper had died I still would have mourned the loss of Dummy pretty hard.

I had the same reaction with JARVIS went offline for a bit. I knew he'd be back, but still! Some sad stuff in this here superhero movie.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Jarvis can probably instruct them but the arms are definitely autonomous
    King Riptor on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    A duck! wrote: »
    NOTE: Reposted from Movies thread--this seems more on topic here.

I really, really wanted to like Iron Man 3. And while viewing it, I enjoyed it, so there is that. But upon reflection, there were some problems that emerged:
    -So... he had all those suits down in his basement the whole time? I guess they were still being assembled or something, though? That whole thing was super fast and loose. Felt too obviously like a Deus Ex Machina moment and rubbed me the wrong way.

Did you chug some Robitussin before you saw this? There's a comedic moment about exactly this point early on. The number of his current armor wasn't just a random choice.
    Fair enough--but wasn't the tech to make them all remote-control something new? I guess perhaps that was the point of Jarvis' comment about the ship's coming in or something. Seemed weird that the underground portion was entirely unscathed after the assault, though.
    Renzo wrote: »
    NOTE:

You could start with him missing the point of Tony's character arc.

or

You could start with him coming off as sexist.
    Yeah, wasn't my intention to come off sexist. My bad. Really just should have said 'why would you let ANYONE(!) convince you to destroy your work?' I suppose the underlying message I took from this directive coming from Potts was that he was doing it for the relationship(/nookie). Which is a bad reason. I took it as her being selfish, and him being, well, a man. "Yeah, I know you don't like these armors and whatnot, so I'll just get rid of them. Nevermind the threats we may face in the future and my turning my back on the responsibility that I've been entrusted with because of these suits and the abilities they grant me. Everything will be just fine."

And yeah, I got the point of Tony's character arc--I just didn't agree with it. The armor really does make him Iron Man. Granted, he's got the ability to build his super powers, so to speak, so you could argue his real super power is his hyper-intellect. I get that they wanted to underline his ingenuity and chutzpah. But even so, he's still a man without the suit, with all of the weaknesses that brings.

Tying into that, the armors themselves seemed incredibly fragile all of a sudden. I just don't like that they decided that the way to take the story was that the armors themselves are inconsequential. No, they are not! They're why he's Iron Man in the first place!
    NOTE: Reposted from Movies thread--this seems more on topic here.

I really, really wanted to like Iron Man 3. And while viewing it, I enjoyed it, so there is that. But upon reflection, there were some problems that emerged:
    <stuff>

I guess I had more problems with it than I realized.

no.

I see your no, and I raise you another, bigger NO. I forgot this wasn't Debate & Discourse.
    Xenogear_0001 on

JagerLord22.jpg

Steam Id: Jager2
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu Registered User regular

MIDNIGHT SONS PHASE 3
    no.

daydreamers, phase 3.

that'd involve remembering anything about X3, i purged all x-men related memories years ago

what's a nathaniel grey
    Well, you see, Cable is Cyclops' son but from the future and Stryfe is his clone and huughllbllurrhgh
    steam_sig-400.png
    re-read that last sentence.

re-read it a lot.

then realize you did not understand iron man 3 at all

Spell it out for me, then. What did I miss?

JagerLord22.jpg

Exactly. I beg to differ. I think that's a silly thing to say. Otherwise, why did they make the story in the first two movies about him designing, wearing, and using the suit to achieve things he couldn't otherwise accomplish?

JagerLord22.jpg

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    to be honest I felt the overall message of the movie was kind of eh

I mean I really liked it

but Tony does not interest me that much
    Solar on
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads Let Piggy Chimp decideRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The whole film was about how he doesn't need the suit to be Iron Man

3h5Wc.png
    Secret Satans! Post | D&D Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Exactly. I beg to differ. I think that's a silly thing to say. Otherwise, why did they make the story in the first two movies about him designing, wearing, and using the suit to achieve things he couldn't otherwise accomplish?

because he is Iron Man
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Uh
    the whole point of the movie was Avengers fucked up Tony's entire worldview and he has PTSD and is forced to rethink his entire life.

That is why it is different from the previous two.
  • ToxTox I kill threads Let Piggy Chimp decideRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Uh
    the whole point of the movie was Avengers fucked up Tony's entire worldview and he has PTSD and is forced to rethink his entire life.

Right, and the fallout from that was
    He tried to reach Batman levels of preparedness buy obsessing about the suits and building prototype after prototype, just in case he ever needed a suit that could do that (although, in many cases, we never see what that is for most of the armors).

By the end of it, he's realized that he doesn't need all those crazy armors, because he's Iron Man. He doesn't need to be crazy prepared, because he's crazy capable.

...or something.
    Tox on
    3h5Wc.png
    Secret Satans! Post | D&D Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Uh

I will say about IM3
    That I thought afterward it seemed a little weird to single out the New york event and the wormhole in particular as being the thing that gives him PTSD.

Like, the previous movies had given him just as much life threatening scenarios, namely being blown up, tortured and trapped in a prison cave, seeing a friend murdered, being attacked and almost killed by your family friend and partner, having plasma whips nearly kill you in a race car, etc.

Like, I mean I guess the aliens present something different, but when it comes to traumatic, violent events, it just seems kind of all the same. He has almost died lots of times. I can buy him reacting the way he does, but to point to a single event seems strange.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    edited May 2013

because he is Iron Man

picard-fail-293x300.jpg

Look, Iron Man is who he becomes when he puts on the suit. If he were Iron Man when he wasn't in the suit, he wouldn't need the suit. Clearly, he needs the suit. Even in this movie! He couldn't have accomplished what he did without the suits. Hence why he was trying to get the one he had left working through much of the movie (nevermind the basement full of them). I take issue with this statement because it's stupid on its face.

I get that he's trying to say something like 'I have the heart of a hero, I am Iron Man!'. That's great--he still needs the suits. Sorry.

I suppose the silver lining is that he could always build more. And should.
    Xenogear_0001 on

JagerLord22.jpg

edited May 2013
    picardfacepalm.
    j
    p
    g
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg