Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    sig if I do end up moving to pdx (and I think there is a strong possiblity)

we'll just like halfheartedly exchange requests to hang out in chat I suspect

it makes me sad that you posted this :(

yeah skipz that was super depressing actually

if you move to PDX me and sig are going to find you

just fyi

oh god not arch

all chasing me, dressed as alice in wonderland
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    sig if I do end up moving to pdx (and I think there is a strong possiblity)

we'll just like halfheartedly exchange requests to hang out in chat I suspect

it makes me sad that you posted this :(

I AM TRYING TO INSULATE MYSELF AGAINST THE FUTURE

yeah. yeah.
    NO.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    my student ID is from 2004

ermahgod

i'm dying

dude if i don't fuck up, i'll have my bachelors in 2016

weep, girls
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Who here has experience with Gantt charts

I have experience with them not meaning anything.

I had to wiki them and went "Oh, those."

I'm sure they're fine in principle but in my experience they are composed of equal parts wishful thinking and outright fabrication.

my advisor was like "I want you to make me one for your thesis"

and I was like "uh"

You'll be fine right up until you hit the part where how long something is going to take is either completely unknown or heavily dependent on the result of an as yet uncompleted preceding task. At that point traditionally one starts making shit up.

Sounds just like grad school actually
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular

what about them?
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    moniker wrote: »
    Skippy, what happened to Chicago? Am I not good enough for you? Or is it Matt? He does have problems...

chi is in contention

interview x 2 with a chi co is this week

nothing in seattle so far
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    On July 25, 2010 SEPTA renamed the service from the R3 West Trenton to simply the West Trenton Line as part of system-wide service change that drops the R-number naming and makes the Center City stations the terminus for all lines. This also ended the combined R3 West Trenton/R3 Elwyn service.

or was

WHATEVS
    Per3th.jpg
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Sup my little muffin tins

How are your respective worlds this afternoon

elendil came out as straight

i am still adjusting

oh, he's just going through a phase
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    you've made a fool of me in front of my friends

*shakes fist*
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Hello my sexys
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

what about them?

how i make one

for free

freedcamp.com
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    In general, chat makes me feel like a fool for not taking a computer science degree
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    Chanus When you're walking around Carytown, do you ever think to yourself, "this must be what Portland is like?"

That's how I felt when I realized there was an American Apparel retailer the last time I was down there.

I didn't realize American Apparel wasn't just a think kids bought over the internets.

@SammyF

Carytown is what I imagine Richmond's upper-middle class thinks Portland is like.

It seems like a very ticky-tacky version of a bohemian boutique strip.

Though, I've also been going to Carytown since high school, which is the mid-90s, and it's kind of always been like that.

There are better restaurants now, though.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Narwhal, why do you hate fun?
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i hate man vs food

but god damn I want a huge @gooey cheesesteak

| Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    actually, i dunno if freedcamp allows you to make gantt charts

you could try this instead, but I've never used it

http://www.ganttproject.biz/

what about them?

how i make one

for free

freedcamp.com

<3
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

I'm sure they're fine in principle but in my experience they are composed of equal parts wishful thinking and outright fabrication.

and I was like "uh"

You'll be fine right up until you hit the part where how long something is going to take is either completely unknown or heavily dependent on the result of an as yet uncompleted preceding task. At that point traditionally one starts making shit up.

Is your thesis about process improvement at a Toyota plant?
    network_sig2.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

what about them?

how i make one

for free

freedcamp.com

Oh hey this actually looks really handy.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Federal authorities said Monday they are confident that they foiled an attack on the Montevideo Police Department and possibly saved lives when they arrested a man with suspected white supremacist leanings.

Buford “Bucky” Rogers, 24, of Montevideo, was arrested and charged Friday with being a felon in possession of a firearm after federal authorities found Molotov cocktails, suspected pipe bombs and guns during a search of his mobile home, according to a federal criminal complaint and affidavit.

Federal authorities said Rogers was arrested after it was learned he allegedly talked about wanting to bomb the Montevideo Police Department.

Local authorities would only say that the general public was not at risk and that no schools, churches or public areas such as parks were apparently targeted.

After Rogers was arrested, authorities executed a search warrant at his father’s trailer home on the north edge of Montevideo and found more than a dozen bombs inside a shed. Some of the explosives were described by authorities as being sophisticated pipe-bombs and others that are normally packed with nails and other types of shrapnel.

Several postings on Rogers’ Facebook page from June 15, 2011, suggest irritation with authorities.

“The NWO [New World Order] has taken all your freedoms the right to bear arms freedom of speach freedom of the press ...” read one profanity-punctuated message.

“ever one better get your guns ready cuz there comeing FEMA” and “The war is here tsa agents are doing random cheeks and shooting people for no reson,” read others.

I know that they are probably gonna add more stuff or whatever, but it's funny to me that they went through his stuff, found guns, molotov cocktails, and possible pipe bombs, and then charged him for the guns.

no law that says you can't store your gasoline in glass bottles!
    xlh6c3.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    In general, chat makes me feel like a fool for not taking a computer science degree

I didn't study CS and I think I've been working as a developer for as long as anyone who posts here. Maybe longer (first test job in 2001, first dev job in 2004).

I took a total of 1 CS class in college and that was at a community college while I was still in Running Start. Actually never graduated from college at all. Ran out of money in my senior year.

Though I did start learning programming in 3rd grade cause a friend's dad was a coder and taught us the basics.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

[chat] is mostly why I feel comfortable learning to read various coding languages. I don't really know them well, but can pick stuff up as needed instead of it all just looking like gibberish. Well, [chat] and classes I took in high school and at juco when I was 17 on html.
    tea-1.jpg
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Chanus When you're walking around Carytown, do you ever think to yourself, "this must be what Portland is like?"

That's how I felt when I realized there was an American Apparel retailer the last time I was down there.

I didn't realize American Apparel wasn't just a think kids bought over the internets.

SammyF

Carytown is what I imagine Richmond's upper-middle class thinks Portland is like.

Though, I've also been going to Carytown since high school, which is the mid-90s, and it's kind of always been like that.

Galaxy Diner is still there, though, I see.

And some taco place with really horrible service.

But the Byrd survives so it's not all bad.
    Hamurabi wrote: »

and I was like "uh"

Is your thesis about process improvement at a Toyota plant?

yes

no but for real my boss wants some sort of timeline for my experiments and she is fond of them for some reason
    Usually, the most common tools people use for Gantt charts are MS Project, Basecamp, and DotProject

The first two you have to pay for. The last one is open source, but it's not an app you install so much as a platform you configure on a server.

like, you could probably install DotProject on a local Apache server on a virtual machine or something, but that seems like it might be a bear
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular

I am literally the king of enabling and satisfaction.

I am hedonism made flesh.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Federal authorities said Monday they are confident that they foiled an attack on the Montevideo Police Department and possibly saved lives when they arrested a man with suspected white supremacist leanings.

Buford “Bucky” Rogers, 24, of Montevideo, was arrested and charged Friday with being a felon in possession of a firearm after federal authorities found Molotov cocktails, suspected pipe bombs and guns during a search of his mobile home, according to a federal criminal complaint and affidavit.

Federal authorities said Rogers was arrested after it was learned he allegedly talked about wanting to bomb the Montevideo Police Department.

Local authorities would only say that the general public was not at risk and that no schools, churches or public areas such as parks were apparently targeted.

After Rogers was arrested, authorities executed a search warrant at his father’s trailer home on the north edge of Montevideo and found more than a dozen bombs inside a shed. Some of the explosives were described by authorities as being sophisticated pipe-bombs and others that are normally packed with nails and other types of shrapnel.

Several postings on Rogers’ Facebook page from June 15, 2011, suggest irritation with authorities.

“The NWO [New World Order] has taken all your freedoms the right to bear arms freedom of speach freedom of the press ...” read one profanity-punctuated message.

“ever one better get your guns ready cuz there comeing FEMA” and “The war is here tsa agents are doing random cheeks and shooting people for no reson,” read others.

I know that they are probably gonna add more stuff or whatever, but it's funny to me that they went through his stuff, found guns, molotov cocktails, and possible pipe bombs, and then charged him for the guns.

no law that says you can't store your gasoline in glass bottles!

I am pretty sure that in conjunction with the other stuff there are some violations going on.

I just am kind of amused in a "ha! They got him on tax evasion!" kind of way.
    The Philadelphia Orchestra Community Ticket Program
    The Philadelphia Orchestra makes PECO Power Hour seats available for $10.00 at the Kimmel Center Box Office between 5:30 PM and 6:30 PM the day of each subscription concert (11:30 AM– 12:30 PM for 2:00 PM performances). The seating will be throughout the hall, subject to management selection and availability. Please note that there is a limit of one ticket per person for each purchase.
    f yes

i'm a see me some wozzeck
    Per3th.jpg
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

SammyF

Galaxy Diner is still there, though, I see.

And some taco place with really horrible service.

But the Byrd survives so it's not all bad.

The service at Nacho Mama is indeed terrible, but the food is p decent.

There's a new shawarma place near the top by Kroger that's pretty dope. Called Doner Kebab, I think.

Can Can is good if you don't mind paying way to much for fancy food (it's good, but overpriced imo).
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
    moniker wrote: »
    I have 999 agrees. Who wants to put me over the top?

but a bitch ain't one

hit me!

lets just have a lib arts orgy
    @Mim @Organichu

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT EXPRESSIONIST OPERA
    Per3th.jpg
    hmm apparently excel can make crappy sort of gantt charts

might fiddle with this and the gannt project website

thanks feralz
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

I am literally the king of enabling and satisfaction.

I am hedonism made flesh.

As opposed to

180px-Hedonism.svg.png
    network_sig2.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I know that I would easily be able to learn the math and the logic of it, and I enjoy what programming I know

I've coded small games in my spare time and really liked even the basic grinding out of mechanics and solving problems

And it pays well even when you're doing some risky small startup! And it's
    in big demand!

Ugh
    my wife is lobbying hard for a new imac
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I am the flesh of hedonism made King.
    hmm apparently excel can make crappy sort of gantt charts

might fiddle with this and the gannt project website

thanks feralz

Using Excel for a Gantt chart is kind of like using Powerpoint for an org chart.

In other words, it makes me hate you just a little bit more.

That's the royal "you", not you personally.
This discussion has been closed.