Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Building a PC is simple. So long as you ignore "you should totes overclock bro, it's super easy."

Because then you've got to install an aftermarket fan, and put thermal goo on your CPU. Once you break away from OEM parts putting together a PC goes from "Oh sure, I know how to assemble ikea furniture." to "Oh sure, I can make a miter joint and assemble my own furniture using nothing but wood I've bought at home depot."

Stick to OEM parts and the stock fan, and spend the extra $50 to buy the next CPU up if you want faster clocks in your tubes.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    You don't need water cooling when a $40 fan works great.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Wow Adobe you are duuuuuuuuuumb!
    Adobe makes the second most pirated application in the world, and the adoption of their newer suites has been faltering for years as people declared CS2/CS3/CS4 "good enough" and stopped upgrading.

If they didn't do something, they were going to start losing money. 30 bucks a month for every single app adobe makes per seat is a pittance for the firms that need that software day to day, is easily togglable so if you get a contract gig that requires you to use the suite for 3 months, you just bill the 90 dollars to your client...

I think it is good for pretty much everyone but pirates who want the bleeding edge best software.

But if you dont have any previous CS software its $50 a month on a year contract or $75 monthly, thats brutal

Didn't they make CS2 freeware?
    They posted a serial number that bypasses the activation server because the activation server is permanently borked.

they still don't want you stealing it.

It is the equivalent of a car with the doors unlocked and the keys in the sun visor.

And the car respawns everytime someone takes it.
    And a giant sign saying "whatever"
    The respawn is true enough, but the sign actually explicitly says "don't steal this."

or, to be specific: "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products."
    meat.jpg
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Water cooling is fucking dumb

My buddy's brother bought a $7000 water cooled monstrosity that weighs as much as a couch and made him put it together

It took five hours and every water cooling assembly step risked a leak that would destroy everything

The cpu watercooling DK and I have was what, $200? and is self contained.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Ahahaha!
    http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/mw25g7/surgeon-simulator-2013-review

When he casually stabbed the brain with a morphine syringe, I had tears in my eyes.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    Wow Adobe you are duuuuuuuuuumb!
    Adobe makes the second most pirated application in the world, and the adoption of their newer suites has been faltering for years as people declared CS2/CS3/CS4 "good enough" and stopped upgrading.

If they didn't do something, they were going to start losing money. 30 bucks a month for every single app adobe makes per seat is a pittance for the firms that need that software day to day, is easily togglable so if you get a contract gig that requires you to use the suite for 3 months, you just bill the 90 dollars to your client...

I think it is good for pretty much everyone but pirates who want the bleeding edge best software.

But if you dont have any previous CS software its $50 a month on a year contract or $75 monthly, thats brutal

Didn't they make CS2 freeware?
    They posted a serial number that bypasses the activation server because the activation server is permanently borked.

they still don't want you stealing it.

It is the equivalent of a car with the doors unlocked and the keys in the sun visor.

And the car respawns everytime someone takes it.
    And a giant sign saying "whatever"
    The respawn is true enough, but the sign actually explicitly says "don't steal this."

or, to be specific: "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products."

Does it make any mention of quantum irregularities in universes I may have bought the software in? If it's not in writing, it's not illegal!
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

My buddy's brother bought a $7000 water cooled monstrosity that weighs as much as a couch and made him put it together

It took five hours and every water cooling assembly step risked a leak that would destroy everything

This computer also has sixteen fans and a $900 video card

It literally weighs as much as a couch. One person can't really lift it.

I'm pretty sure the water cooling thing he got was the most absurd possible setup he could buy

This is absolutely true if you want stock speeds, which is fine.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Today is a good day. I came in whistling happily. The fight Leigh and I had is over. I sat down and one of my interns brought me coffee. My conference call is canceled.

ice-cube-it-was-a-good-day-dvdrip.jpg
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    isn't there a PC building subreddit with some pretty good cookiecutter builds on it?

like you can actually go there and say i want an $800 gaming rig and people will go "use this combat proven i5 build"
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.

I'm pretty sure the water cooling thing he got was the most absurd possible setup he could buy

if he has less than 4 monitors for this thing he is an idiot, and I'm pretty sure that's too much computer for quad displays
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    so like

surgeon simulator and big rig simulator and farm simulator and whatever

these games are self aware, right? it is a joke, isn't it?
    919UOwT.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Today is a good day. I came in whistling happily. The fight Leigh and I had is over. I sat down and one of my interns brought me coffee. My conference call is canceled.

I am super happy for you :3

I'm pretty happy too. It was a shitty weekend.
    I lost sleep last night over neverwinter. I even downloaded teamspeak. Nobody was on it that I knew though.

You might have better luck on Vent.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    holy shit it is way too fucking hot in this office
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular

what does he do for a living
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I don't know if this link works but here's a cheaper version based on something a5ehren posted

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel_Z77_Core_i5_i7_Configurator/w/169228
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    so like

Surgeon Simulator is a joke.

The others are serious.

Germans apparently love to simulate daily life.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

This is absolutely true if you want stock speeds, which is fine.

Or you don't mind the noise
    dkmouthsig.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Building a computer was a nightmare, but if i could succeed, anyone can.
    I don't know if this link works but here's a cheaper version based on something a5ehren posted

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel_Z77_Core_i5_i7_Configurator/w/169228

It's fine, and IBP computers are pretty good (I had one in college before I started building my own)

but the case is hideous

just god awful
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i went for a jog this morning to burn off like, six oz worth of the vat of soda i drank yesterday :p

now my ankle hurts though. bleh
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    so like

surgeon simulator isn't really in the same class at all

like it is self aware and a joke and was originally made for a 48 hour game festival
    Organichu wrote: »

what does he do for a living

For reasons I will leave private he is making a bunch of money to do nothing and nobody would begrudge him what he's getting, believe me

He is also living at home with no expenses
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Im never building a computer again.
    I'd much rather pay someone to build one for me.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Casual wrote: »
    isn't there a PC building subreddit with some pretty good cookiecutter builds on it?

like you can actually go there and say i want an $800 gaming rig and people will go "use this combat proven i5 build"

http://techreport.com/review/24646/system-guide-current

if he has less than 4 monitors for this thing he is an idiot, and I'm pretty sure that's too much computer for quad displays

He has more money than sense I think. He's young.

Everyone told him it was a waste but he didn't care.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    so like

surgeon simulator? ya think?
    xlh6c3.png

I can't handle store bought options, un-upgradability, and shitware. I will never buy a store bought computer besides laptops, ever again.

If I could make my own laptop I would. Plus getting shit replaced on store bought is a fucking nightmare compared to RMAs from manufacturers. I don't have to prove shit, I just have to go "it's doing XYZ." I don't have to run diagnostics or talk to Vrijheid in India.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

Get an Apple, be da bes.
    meat.jpg
    Building a computer was a nightmare, but if i could succeed, anyone can.

truer words have never been spoken
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    free upgrade to first class...

awesome!
    Mental midgets kill my inner child.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    i have never actually seen gameplay of surgeon simulator

i avoid anything with "simulator" in the title out of policy
    919UOwT.png
    I would buy a prebuilt but only if it came from Falcon Northwest.

Go big or go home!
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

Get an Apple, be da bes.

no u
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular

He has more money than sense I think. He's young.

Everyone told him it was a waste but he didn't care.

yeah

i know a guy who bought a video card that was worth more than the rest of his build put together

with cards once you get past a certain point (around £400 or so) spending more than that hits deminishing returns quick
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    i have never actually seen gameplay of surgeon simulator

i avoid anything with "simulator" in the title out of policy
    But Euro Truck Simulator 2 is great!
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    free upgrade to first class...

awesome!
    I love it when that happens.

Ignore the fact that it isn't noon yet, get drunk for free.
    meat.jpg
    Alienware Desktops are upgradeable, have zero shitware, and the cases balance geek and minimalism somewhat unhamfistedly. They're also pretty damn well built.

It's just,you know,

overpriced.
    I realize the Indian sounding name google corrected my spelling too is actually some form of Dutch. Thanks automatic spell check!
    Alienware Desktops are upgradeable, have zero shitware, and the cases balance geek and minimalism somewhat unhamfistedly. They're also pretty damn well built.

It's just,you know,

overpriced.

You're better off buying an apple desktop and popping windows on it yourself. Probably cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.