Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO10bAn_8M8

seriously just watch this
    xlh6c3.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    so like

surgeon simulator and big rig simulator and farm simulator and whatever

these games are self aware, right? it is a joke, isn't it?

Surgeon Simulator is a joke, yeah.

Farm sim, truck sim, street sweeping sim, all of those... They're huge in places like Germany for some reason. Europeans love them.

Germans also love David Hasselhoff. I think we can assume at this point that Germans like terrible things.

If not for their beer making abilities the whole country would be a lost cause.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    If I wanted to do truck sim I would get a part time job as a trucker and at least make a few bucks.

I would do that if I could drive one of these:

rogersnider.jpg

Bonus points if I'm driving across a post-apocalyptic landscape, and my precious cargo is... hope.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Euro Truck Simulator is a really relaxing way to listen to some podcasts or weird European radio stations.
    If I wanted to do truck sim I would get a part time job as a trucker and at least make a few bucks.

oh, you've got a truck certificate, do ya?
    xlh6c3.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    http://gizmodo.com/this-ad-has-a-secret-anti-abuse-message-that-only-kids-493108460

"The secret behind the ad's wizardry is a lenticular top layer, which shows different images at varying angles. So when an adult—or anyone taller than four feet, five inches—looks at it they only see the image of a sad child and the message: "sometimes, child abuse is only visible to the child suffering it." But when a child looks at the ad, they see bruises on the boy's face and a different message: "if somebody hurts you, phone us and we’ll help you" alongside the foundation's phone number."

That is really, really clever.

Better ad:

ku-medium.gif
    "Not Cool IRL"
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Because they're more likely to take percentage than if I flat out said "$200."

$200 on a $600 machine is bigger than on a $1000 machine. The bigger machines tend to do weird shit like dual video cards, or custom fans, so, obviously, price goes up with dealing with that bananas.

hrm

i still don't see it, even on a $600 machine you probably would be spending around $200 on labour to have it built for you

paying other people to build your machines is expensive, there's no way around that other than to spend some time on google and learn to do it yourself

on a side note i do not get why people still do dual cards

just buy one good card rather than two medium ones, having two cards is just having double the number of things to go wrong

Buying two mid-range cards to get the power of a top-of-the-line card is silly, I agree.

Buying one card when you build the computer and upgrading graphics by buying another one 1-2 years later when the price plummets is smart.

Buying two top-of-the-line cards is somewhat silly, but is the only way to have the most powerful computer possible, which is what some people are spending money for.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular

the best one was "street cleaning simulator"

i saw that and figured it had to be a joke, but nope

apparently germans like it

germans...

R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

If I was a huge trucking fan that wanted to spend hours dicking around driving a truck, I'd pick one up.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular

I would do that if I could drive one of these:

rogersnider.jpg

Bonus points if I'm driving across a post-apocalyptic landscape, and my precious cargo is... hope.

Mad Max: Beyond Fabulous!
    h1DI1.jpg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    these defect calls are the fucking worst

If I was a huge trucking fan that wanted to spend hours dicking around driving a truck, I'd pick one up.

it's expensive

and the certificate needed to work as a driver is even more of a hassle
    xlh6c3.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    They're huge in places like Germany for some reason. Europeans love them.

Hey now, don't mix me up with their kind.

Didn't you confess to enjoying one of those Sega Bass Fishing simulators a few years back?
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    There is the Euro Truck Simulator series, Heavyweight Simulator series, and the Scania Truck Driver Simulator: The Game.

the best one was "street cleaning simulator"

i saw that and figured it had to be a joke, but nope

apparently germans like it

germans...

I blame their game rating committee. It's like a hostage situation. So many games are banned in Germany they're desperate for anything they can get.
    h1DI1.jpg
    Pirates of the carribean 47: Johnny Depp stars as the robot pirate who loses his wife in a game of poker and trys to win her back with hilarious consequences.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    so ignoring the value of my own time how much would it save to build a mid range PC vs just buying one premade?
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Delmain wrote: »

$200 on a $600 machine is bigger than on a $1000 machine. The bigger machines tend to do weird shit like dual video cards, or custom fans, so, obviously, price goes up with dealing with that bananas.

hrm

i still don't see it, even on a $600 machine you probably would be spending around $200 on labour to have it built for you

paying other people to build your machines is expensive, there's no way around that other than to spend some time on google and learn to do it yourself

just buy one good card rather than two medium ones, having two cards is just having double the number of things to go wrong

Buying two mid-range cards to get the power of a top-of-the-line card is silly, I agree.

Buying one card when you build the computer and upgrading graphics by buying another one 1-2 years later when the price plummets is smart.

Buying two top-of-the-line cards is somewhat silly, but is the only way to have the most powerful computer possible, which is what some people are spending money for.

if we're talking about the take-the-piss gfx cards that cost thousands that's usually what they already are anyway, two higher end cards bolted together in one housing
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    Well [chat] was raving about Papers Please, and that's a TSA agent simulator
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    edited May 2013

it's expensive

not to mention good luck finding someone who will pay you to be a trucker for a couple of hours a night as and when you feel like it
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    edited May 2013
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Well [chat] was raving about Papers Please, and that's a TSA agent simulator

i can't wait for prison architect
    Casual on
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    so ignoring the value of my own time how much would it save to build a mid range PC vs just buying one premade?

sounds like it would be a few hundo

so 20-30% of the system cost for mid range?
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

sounds like it would be a few hundo

so 20-30% of the system cost for mid range?

not worth it!

*pounds gavel*
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    A couple hundred bucks.

That said, if you do not have a monitor/keyboard/mouse already, lots of the bundled machines sell them cheaper.

Also, if you do not have a legal copy of windows (and want to be legal) that eats 100-130 dollars of your savings.

On the flip side, you may end up spending a few hours on a store-bought machine uninstalling adware, malware and shitty antivirus apps.
    meat.jpg

it's expensive

I found a program that covers all training up to commercial certification for $4800. You might be able to go lower by shopping around. If you don't need training, then that's much less, but I don't know how you would avoid training unless you had some kind of magical computer program that let you pretend you were driving a big rig, but no one's ever going to bother making that kind of thing. After getting the certification, you just need to make sure you play enough Real Lift Trucking Simulator to earn back five gs, and you're set.

If it costs more than that in Norway, move to a less commie country.
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular

hrm

I'm a nice friend, so I'll cut them some slack if they're trying to save money, is basically why it's 20%. But I'm pretty good at upselling unless I know they're broke. If they're just cheap they get the "$150 minimum, no 'you built this, so help me figure out why I can't download this email attachment' talk."

Most people settle on that $800 computer that'd probably cost them $1200 from best buy.
    I've spent many an hour just driving around at night but that doesn't mean it'd be as fun or easy being a taxi driver
    xlh6c3.png
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    Having to redo my background check for my job (happens every few years)

haaaate. It gets easier when you've been in the same place 7 years, but you still have to look up information you don't tend to think about (like how much those traffic tickets you got 3 or 4 years ago were, etc)
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular

it's expensive

I found a program that covers all training up to commercial certification for $4800. You might be able to go lower by shopping around. If you don't need training, then that's much less, but I don't know how you would avoid training unless you had some kind of magical computer program that let you pretend you were driving a big rig, but no one's ever going to bother making that kind of thing. After getting the certification, you just need to make sure you play enough Real Lift Trucking Simulator to earn back five gs, and you're set.

That's still a lot of time and effort, and obsession with trucking is not a requirement in order to enjoy Euro Trucker
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    A couple hundred bucks.

That said, if you do not have a monitor/keyboard/mouse already, lots of the bundled machines sell them cheaper.

Also, if you do not have a legal copy of windows (and want to be legal) that eats 100-130 dollars of your savings.

On the flip side, you may end up spending a few hours on a store-bought machine uninstalling adware, malware and shitty antivirus apps.

The biggest boon is you can spend money on an actual performing video card. Most of the ones in store boughts for $600 are shit. Like, 3 generations ago shit.

So, buy your $400 PC, and drop $200 on a video card, boom, now you can play games on high instead of low.
    I'm not really obsessed with airplanes but I still enjoy flight sims

it's expensive

or you could play trucking simulator, not spend 5gs, and have your regular job, which probably doesn't have as horrible hours.
    xlh6c3.png
    A couple hundred bucks.

The biggest boon is you can spend money on an actual performing video card. Most of the ones in store boughts for $600 are shit. Like, 3 generations ago shit.

So, buy your $400 PC, and drop $200 on a video card, boom, now you can play games on high instead of low.

Well also make sure that the PSU isn't shitty.
    There'

it's expensive

not to mention good luck finding someone who will pay you to be a trucker for a couple of hours a night as and when you feel like it

There's this Greek that pays me a bit every now and then to ship up chemicals from the Fairfield docks.
    edited May 2013
    also yes

if I enjoyed pretending to be a trucker occasionally I should move out of the country.

some people just want to play a game about driving a truck around!
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    A couple hundred bucks.

That ... doesn't sound right.
    FrenchCat2.jpg

it's expensive

truck simulator costs quite a lot less than training to be a driver and then buying your own truck then?
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    And in a truck sim you can do whacky stuff if you feel like it, whereas in real life whacky stuff will FUCK EVERYTHING UP FOREVER
    I ain't gonna begrudge them that because I liked to play a game that was about walking around a lot before getting shot by someone over your canned beans and then you spend ages crawling to a house hoping there's bandages there but there isn't and you bleed out.
    xlh6c3.png
    also yes

if I enjoyed pretending to be a trucker occasionally I should move out of the country.

some people just want to play a game about driving a truck around!

Well, that, and you should move out because you don't live in America.

Get on our level, learn how to freedom.
This discussion has been closed.