Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Im never building a computer again.
    I'd much rather pay someone to build one for me.

I can't handle store bought options, un-upgradability, and shitware. I will never buy a store bought computer besides laptops, ever again.

If I could make my own laptop I would. Plus getting shit replaced on store bought is a fucking nightmare compared to RMAs from manufacturers. I don't have to prove shit, I just have to go "it's doing XYZ." I don't have to run diagnostics or talk to Vrijheid in India.

Next time I buy a computer Im going to get some specs and ask a buddy if he'd be willing to "go on an adventure" with "adult legos" for $250

#FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Get an Apple, be da bes.

no u

well, yeah. I did get a Mac. and I love it.

Also getting a new mac later this year when the new Macbook Air drops. Selling my 2 generation old model for 1000 dollars, because Mac.
    meat.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    I just built a new computer recently. Had an issue with the ram. Had to RMA that but it runs great now.

There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Thomamelas wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I lost sleep last night over neverwinter. I even downloaded teamspeak. Nobody was on it that I knew though.

You might have better luck on Vent.
    People might be mean to me and I'm not prepared to take what I dish out.
    Ludious on
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    this is actually the first time that I've ever been upgraded for free.
    Mental midgets kill my inner child.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular

Get an Apple, be da bes.

no u

Wait, you don't like apples?

Apples are great!
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

I can't handle store bought options, un-upgradability, and shitware. I will never buy a store bought computer besides laptops, ever again.

If I could make my own laptop I would. Plus getting shit replaced on store bought is a fucking nightmare compared to RMAs from manufacturers. I don't have to prove shit, I just have to go "it's doing XYZ." I don't have to run diagnostics or talk to Vrijheid in India.

Next time I buy a computer Im going to get some specs and ask a buddy if he'd be willing to "go on an adventure" with "adult legos" for $250

I'll do it; I'm good at it, but with one caveat.

If you call me for ANY reason because something isn't working I will cunt punt you. I am so done doing friend tech-support.
    meat.jpg
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    http://gizmodo.com/this-ad-has-a-secret-anti-abuse-message-that-only-kids-493108460

"The secret behind the ad's wizardry is a lenticular top layer, which shows different images at varying angles. So when an adult—or anyone taller than four feet, five inches—looks at it they only see the image of a sad child and the message: "sometimes, child abuse is only visible to the child suffering it." But when a child looks at the ad, they see bruises on the boy's face and a different message: "if somebody hurts you, phone us and we’ll help you" alongside the foundation's phone number."
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    every day i get closer to buying an ipad
    919UOwT.png
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular

Get an Apple, be da bes.

no u

well, yeah. I did get a Mac. and I love it.

Also getting a new mac later this year when the new Macbook Air drops. Selling my 2 generation old model for 1000 dollars, because Mac.

it is none the less still shooting yourself in the foot quite badly if you're after a gaming machine
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular

I told my friends I'd build them PCs for 20% of their cost. So far no one's taken me up on that, but they don't hesitate dropping $100 every time they break or need an upgrade. Weird that they get a shitware desktop then give me like $200 to put in an SSD and a video card whereas they could've saved like $200 right off the bat just building it like that, but guffaw at paying me the money to do it for them! And then pay me the money anyways to upgrade it.

If you call me for ANY reason because something isn't working I will cunt punt you. I am so done doing friend tech-support.

Or why I told Leigh to buy a Mac.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    every day i get closer to buying an ipad

your kermit the frog piggy bank is busting at the seams
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular
    so like

surgeon simulator and big rig simulator and farm simulator and whatever

these games are self aware, right? it is a joke, isn't it?
    at first I read this as the games themselves being sapient
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    isn't there a PC building subreddit with some pretty good cookiecutter builds on it?

like you can actually go there and say i want an $800 gaming rig and people will go "use this combat proven i5 build"

http://techreport.com/review/24646/system-guide-current

this -- is wonderful
  • tapeslingertapeslinger utter Yog-Sothothery mmm, soulsRegistered User regular
    fun facts about @tapeslinger:
    • tapeslinger's arms are freakishly long, like that of an orangutan, and have two elbows each.
    • usain bolt runs like the wind. the wind runs like tapeslinger.
    • one time tapeslinger crushed a cinderblock into dust with her bare hands. she then mixed that cinderblock dust into a glass of milk, drank it, and screamed "MORE OVALTINE, PLEASE!" so loud it shattered the glass.
    • tapeslinger's tattoos are to remind her of the people she has killed in battle. her freckles are to remind her of the people she has maimed in battle.
    • tapeslinger got north korea to stop talking about nuking south korea by walking across the dmz, grabbing kim jong un by the collar and telling him to "cut that shit out"
    • in 1969 2 NASA astronauts landed on the moon. the US government says they did it for all mankind, but in reality they did it because tapeslinger told them they were going to fucking do it.

(happy birthday tape!)

You are early, dude!
    (basically this means erryone else is late! <3)
    Hey! You! Go bid on awesome things! http://solidsaints.com
    jayxwolf.com || twit || fb || writing || ravelry || dA || g++

I do hardware tech support only for friends and family. So much less headaches because it's easier to figure out what's going on with your hard drive than why you can't print a PDF.
    I'd actually build computers for any of you here for $100 plus cost, because I enjoy it that much. But I won't because I couldn't live with the guilt if something went wrong in shipping or it blew up.
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I lost sleep last night over neverwinter. I even downloaded teamspeak. Nobody was on it that I knew though.

You might have better luck on Vent.
    People might be mean to me and I'm not prepared to take what I dish out.

Oh we're not mean. Except to Cass.

I told my friends I'd build them PCs for 20% of their cost. So far no one's taken me up on that, but they don't hesitate dropping $100 every time they break or need an upgrade. Weird that they get a shitware desktop then give me like $200 to put in an SSD and a video card whereas they could've saved like $200 right off the bat just building it like that, but guffaw at paying me the money to do it for them! And then pay me the money anyways to upgrade it.

Why are you pricing it as a percentage though?

i can see why they would raise their eyebrows at that since what's the difference in your labour between assembling a $1200 machine and an $800 machine?
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I downloaded and tried to run Neverwinter on my Mac with codeweaver crossover last night. it made it surprisingly far - downloaded, installed, patched, before hanging on the main loading screen.

:(

i could boot into windows and download it, but honestly if i have to play in boot camp i probably won't play it much. it's kind of a hassle

maybe i don't have time for an mmo anyways
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Neverwinter is so much more fun than it deserves to be. It literally makes me mad that I am having so much fun.

But the VA is still terrible and fuck sewers.
    Because they're more likely to take percentage than if I flat out said "$200."

$200 on a $600 machine is bigger than on a $1000 machine. The bigger machines tend to do weird shit like dual video cards, or custom fans, so, obviously, price goes up with dealing with that bananas.
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    Neverwinter is so much more fun than it deserves to be. It literally makes me mad that I am having so much fun.

baldur's gait
    P10 wrote: »

baldur's gait

I actually started working on that in Foundry last night.

Baldur's Gait is happening
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    i have never actually seen gameplay of surgeon simulator

i avoid anything with "simulator" in the title out of policy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYLPHa-4sUs

that is a mistake.
    xlh6c3.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    so like

Surgeon Simulator is a joke, yeah.

Farm sim, truck sim, street sweeping sim, all of those... They're huge in places like Germany for some reason. Europeans love them.
    h1DI1.jpg
    desc wrote: »
    http://gizmodo.com/this-ad-has-a-secret-anti-abuse-message-that-only-kids-493108460

"The secret behind the ad's wizardry is a lenticular top layer, which shows different images at varying angles. So when an adult—or anyone taller than four feet, five inches—looks at it they only see the image of a sad child and the message: "sometimes, child abuse is only visible to the child suffering it." But when a child looks at the ad, they see bruises on the boy's face and a different message: "if somebody hurts you, phone us and we’ll help you" alongside the foundation's phone number."

That is really, really clever.
    meat.jpg
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I've never built a computer. Not the kind of thing my parents would've been down for when I was a kid, and I've only had one desktop as an adult. I was planning on building my own, had most of the parts planned out, then found there was some super special deal going where I could get a premade one similar to the specs I wanted for cheaper. As far as I know, it didn't end up with any catches or anything like you might expect, I'm perfectly happy with it, but I do wish I had the experience of building my own computer.

This contract is sealed.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Because they're more likely to take percentage than if I flat out said "$200."

$200 on a $600 machine is bigger than on a $1000 machine. The bigger machines tend to do weird shit like dual video cards, or custom fans, so, obviously, price goes up with dealing with that bananas.

hrm

i still don't see it, even on a $600 machine you probably would be spending around $200 on labour to have it built for you

paying other people to build your machines is expensive, there's no way around that other than to spend some time on google and learn to do it yourself

on a side note i do not get why people still do dual cards

just buy one good card rather than two medium ones, having two cards is just having double the number of things to go wrong
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013

Your friends are dumb
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    so like

Surgeon Simulator is a joke, yeah.

Farm sim, truck sim, street sweeping sim, all of those... They're huge in places like Germany for some reason. Europeans love them.

Germans also love David Hasselhoff. I think we can assume at this point that Germans like terrible things.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    They're huge in places like Germany for some reason. Europeans love them.

Hey now, don't mix me up with their kind.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    i have never actually seen gameplay of surgeon simulator

i avoid anything with "simulator" in the title out of policy
    You are missing out on so much.

Watch the steam trailer at least.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phoney God's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    If I wanted to do truck sim I would get a part time job as a trucker and at least make a few bucks.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Is there an art program along the lines of Sketchbook Express that works on Linux?
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    don't diss euro truck simulator and farm simulator
This discussion has been closed.