Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Speaking of ties, a couple of boys at my daughter's prom showed up for photos wearing the Eldritch Knot:

1.png

Damnit, internet.

stahp

staaaaahp

Kids should wear the most ridiculous thing they can manage to prom, it's goddamn prom.

(My date and I went to prom is 1920s gangster attire)

Only acceptable Eldritch knot:

Cthulhu+Tie.jpg
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    when you are young every decision you make is suspect

for instance:

for my (first) prom i got my first suit, which was black (mistake 1), wore a black shirt (mistake 2), wore a red tie (mistake 3), and thought i looked so bad ass (mistake 4)

See, I don't get this.

As far as I'm concerned prom is basically a costume party. Mistakes are not possible.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    have you seen high school girls lately? they dress mad skanky sometimes.

i support the high school dress code policy because i think high school should be more like a prison
    hugs were banned at my middle school. #YOLO

One guy touched me on the shoulder at boot camp like, super briefly, and this dick chief threatened to separate him and said he wasn't committed to the Navy because he touched me.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I really really really regret not going to any prom...

Still, i don't think i could've managed anyway.

Prom is lame. Even if you go with a ginger dreamboat that you are crushing on so hard.

I think the view from Camp Scrubfriends is perhaps a bit skewed!
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    I could see someone very young kicking ass at programming

it is one of those subjects, like Math but very much unlike History, that does not require maturity to master. In fact I think younger kids who are able to apply themselves to it have a distinct edge in pure coding (which also is very different from the job of being a programmer) over someone in their 20s or older.

I got started around 11ish years old. Actually made a weird little D&D (2nd ed rules) game when I was 12. All the art MS Paint on a windows 3.1 machine (a 286 16 MHz box with 2 megs of ram and a 40 meg hard drive) could handle.

i no longer really have this discomfort but initially when i was first exploring program that exact concept scared me. sometimes the amount of stuff i had to learn seemed overwhelming and i thought 'how will i ever be competitive with- or even in the same league- the kids who have been doing this since before puberty'
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    I wanna do prom selfy chat.
    brb, going to my mom's house.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    maybe I will 'get in your outfit'

the game isn't very good solo

No, the game is awful solo.

In a good outfit it is like the best game ever, though.

We are on Helios.

When I tried it last month I was bitching about it a lot.

The shooting doesn't even get fun until you can unlock a scope! The iron sights are negative fun. I couldn't see shit and I was dying. As soon as I got the 4x with the chevrons it was duck season.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I want to agree with you Shivahn, but in my mind feeling sexy and how other people perceive you are completely intertwined. This might be why I have such issues.

I don't really understand how they can be separated unless you spend as much effort getting ready to sit around the house as you do to get ready to go out at night

which I don't think anyone does

<_<

>_>
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    I really really really regret not going to any prom...

Still, i don't think i could've managed anyway.

Prom is lame. Even if you go with a ginger dreamboat that you are crushing on so hard.

I think the view from Camp Scrubfriends is perhaps a bit skewed!

Touché, spool!
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I didn't go to prom

I got punched in the face and my nose broken by a huge guy and held back a year because of the school's zero tolerance policy against fighting

The rest of the school career was depression, medication, and therapy

ages 15 and 16 contain basically no memories and I dropped out after that
    override367 on
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    oh, hey winky

sup brah
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

i support the high school dress code policy because i think high school should be more like a prison

One guy touched me on the shoulder at boot camp like, super briefly, and this dick chief threatened to separate him and said he wasn't committed to the Navy because he touched me.
    something something navy gay joke here
    I actually kind of struggle with the whole skin-tight pants/yoga pants/leggings debate. On the one hand, girls should be able to wear whatever they damn well please and if it "distracts" the boys then they can go fuck themselves. On the other hand, why would a girl want to wear pants that completely expose her that way? She's confident about how she looks, and/or she wants to show off. Why? To look hot to boys, maybe? To feel sexy/desirable? To stand out? For attention?

So in the end it's this weird chicken-egg situation of wanting to look sexy so guys will look at you, and as a result boys are distracted and those articles of clothing are banned. Hmm.

Personally I hate those girls that wear skintight leggings with a short shirt so you have a panoramic view of their butt, but it's mostly because I am jelly that their butt is better than mine.

those clothes are comfy!

You'll have to remove my leggings from my cold, dead, man-ish hands.
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    actually, yeah, four years sounds about right

i know some people in forth year taking a class which features neural networks

someone learning that on their own really isn't surprising
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Speaking of ties, a couple of boys at my daughter's prom showed up for photos wearing the Eldritch Knot:

1.png

Damnit, internet.

stahp

staaaaahp

That is actually not bad.

Next formal work function I'm so going to rock that.

Or go in my Hitman Cosplay.

We'll see when the time comes.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

it is one of those subjects, like Math but very much unlike History, that does not require maturity to master. In fact I think younger kids who are able to apply themselves to it have a distinct edge in pure coding (which also is very different from the job of being a programmer) over someone in their 20s or older.

I got started around 11ish years old. Actually made a weird little D&D (2nd ed rules) game when I was 12. All the art MS Paint on a windows 3.1 machine (a 286 16 MHz box with 2 megs of ram and a 40 meg hard drive) could handle.

i no longer really have this discomfort but initially when i was first exploring program that exact concept scared me. sometimes the amount of stuff i had to learn seemed overwhelming and i thought 'how will i ever be competitive with- or even in the same league- the kids who have been doing this since before puberty'

you do so by getting into technologies that are new. Nothing I learned as a teenager is even remotely useful today. At least not directly. There is some advantage in that each time you learn a new language it is easier than before.

I wouldn't want to compete as a pure C++ dev against someone with 20 years experience. But I'd go up against them on like win8 apps or XAML or whatevs any day.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

for instance:

for my (first) prom i got my first suit, which was black (mistake 1), wore a black shirt (mistake 2), wore a red tie (mistake 3), and thought i looked so bad ass (mistake 4)

Pics!
    I promise I wont laugh at you
    (I will totally laugh at you)

oh i forgot to add

i also had one of those "black chrome" belts

i think my senior prom was more formal so i wore a plain black tux so those pictures are tolerable, even though i look like a damn child
    919UOwT.png
    I actually kind of struggle with the whole skin-tight pants/yoga pants/leggings debate. On the one hand, girls should be able to wear whatever they damn well please and if it "distracts" the boys then they can go fuck themselves. On the other hand, why would a girl want to wear pants that completely expose her that way? She's confident about how she looks, and/or she wants to show off. Why? To look hot to boys, maybe? To feel sexy/desirable? To stand out? For attention?

So in the end it's this weird chicken-egg situation of wanting to look sexy so guys will look at you, and as a result boys are distracted and those articles of clothing are banned. Hmm.

Personally I hate those girls that wear skintight leggings with a short shirt so you have a panoramic view of their butt, but it's mostly because I am jelly that their butt is better than mine.

those clothes are comfy!

They are super comfy, aren't they? When I wear leggings with a shortish dress (which covers my butt, mind), I'm always like wow wut.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

for instance:

That's what I wore.

I guess the only difference is, I actually looked bad ass.

Programming is something that I honestly am pissed is not taught to children almost immediately. The basic concepts are so simple and intuitive and so easily built off of that young children should be capable of grasping them much more easily than a lot of our even most rudimentary subjects. It's also a skill that has basically boundless applications. There are very, very few people in the world who wouldn't benefit from learning some programming logic.

Imagine the way it would affect the way products are made and society is run if we could make the same basic assumptions about literacy in programming as we can about literacy in English about the general populace? Programming ought to be a fundamental skill.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    From facebook
    Just been to the shop to grab some bread and saw two young girls ask some old bloke to get them some fags.. He agreed and as he was walking into the shop they called him a silly old drunk. He walks up to me and said "two loaves of bread those girls wanted wasn't it?" i said no mate they wanted fags. His reply was "well they are getting two loaves of bread. I may be a drunk but im not silly" the look on those girls faces as he gave them a loaf of bread each was class. So now they have no fags. No money and will either have to chuck the bread or explain to their parents why they are walking in with a loaf of warburtons finest....

those clothes are comfy!

They are super comfy, aren't they? When I wear leggings with a shortish dress (which covers my butt, mind), I'm always like wow wut.

Sometimes I wear them without a dress. Like I wear them as pants.

Fashion faux pas, maybe. But fuck it, I do what I want.
    Mortious wrote: »

for instance:

That's what I wore.

I can assure you that you did not.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Pretty sure most people wear sexy clothes to feel sexy themselves and it has less to do with how others perceive them than everyone seems to think.

That's still a chicken-and-egg thing, though. For the vast majority of people what they define as sexy has been defined for them by the way others around them perceive them, sadly.

Well, it's molded by that obviously. I meant that at the point where a girl is picking out clothes in the morning, it's usually more "i love how I look in this" than "boys will love this."
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Speaking of programming languages, the main education bill before the Texas legislature creates a STEM-oriented highschool diploma track that lets you take a programming language for your "language requirement".

I think that is an excellent idea.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    That's it. Im calling my mom and having her send Jr. Prom pictures.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM

something something navy gay joke here

What's weird is that, that guy thought I was gay up until I told him I wasn't, so his hand on my shoulder meant nothing.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    hello

I went to the top of the mountain

it was nice

then we went down another path that took us through a really cool area and we discussed architecture
    xlh6c3.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

for instance:

That's what I wore.

*gentle hand on shoulder*

no

no mortious

you

*tears up*

.......you didn't
    919UOwT.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    damnit this was the kind of thing that girl said I should invite her to.
    xlh6c3.png
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh, hey winky

sup brah

Yo
    vspgsp.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    huh according to this page:

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~tmf20/tieknots.shtml

the tie knot i generally use doesn't have an actual name?

it's knot type 10 Li Co Li Ro Li Co T
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    damnit this was the kind of thing that girl said I should invite her to.

Hahahaha
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    you guys, I want these leggings:

knYEOug.jpg

like so bad, you have no idea.
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    Speaking of programming languages, the main education bill before the Texas legislature creates a STEM-oriented highschool diploma track that lets you take a programming language for your "language requirement".

why not both. trading foreign languages for computer science seems stupid because it's about a billion times easier to a learn a programming language on your own then a foreign language
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    Pretty sure most people wear sexy clothes to feel sexy themselves and it has less to do with how others perceive them than everyone seems to think.

That's still a chicken-and-egg thing, though. For the vast majority of people what they define as sexy has been defined for them by the way others around them perceive them, sadly.

Well, it's molded by that obviously. I meant that at the point where a girl is picking out clothes in the morning, it's usually more "i love how I look in this" than "boys will love this."

I can't speak with authority but I'm pretty sure there are at least some girls who dress thinking "boys will love this", "girls will love this" or "I will gain the attention of the dark lord cthulu by wearing this"
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    our school had one computer class

I finished the semester's worth of work (basically learning to type) in two classes and spent the rest of the class dicking around on the internet

• SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular

God, then there's no chance of them leaving the country. We'll have to deal with programmers everywhere, correcting people about small, unimportant details!
    you guys, I want these leggings:

knYEOug.jpg

like so bad, you have no idea.

Hey, are you wearing space pants?

Because that ass is out of this world.
    vspgsp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.