Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I really really really regret not going to any prom...

Still, i don't think i could've managed anyway.

you are a really shy dude, right?
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    OMG ARE WE TALKING ABOUT PROM PICTURES

189836_4569599852_6326_n.jpg
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    when you are young every decision you make is suspect

for instance:

for my (first) prom i got my first suit, which was black (mistake 1), wore a black shirt (mistake 2), wore a red tie (mistake 3), and thought i looked so bad ass (mistake 4)

That's what I wore.

I guess the only difference is, I actually looked bad ass.

I can assure you that you did not.

for instance:

for my (first) prom i got my first suit, which was black (mistake 1), wore a black shirt (mistake 2), wore a red tie (mistake 3), and thought i looked so bad ass (mistake 4)

That's what I wore.

*gentle hand on shoulder*

no

no mortious

you

*tears up*

.......you didn't

Oh god, what I have done?
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I could see someone very young kicking ass at programming

it is one of those subjects, like Math but very much unlike History, that does not require maturity to master. In fact I think younger kids who are able to apply themselves to it have a distinct edge in pure coding (which also is very different from the job of being a programmer) over someone in their 20s or older.

I got started around 11ish years old. Actually made a weird little D&D (2nd ed rules) game when I was 12. All the art MS Paint on a windows 3.1 machine (a 286 16 MHz box with 2 megs of ram and a 40 meg hard drive) could handle.

Programming is something that I honestly am pissed is not taught to children almost immediately. The basic concepts are so simple and intuitive and so easily built off of that young children should be capable of grasping them much more easily than a lot of our even most rudimentary subjects. It's also a skill that has basically boundless applications. There are very, very few people in the world who wouldn't benefit from learning some programming logic.

Imagine the way it would affect the way products are made and society is run if we could make the same basic assumptions about literacy in programming as we can about literacy in English about the general populace? Programming ought to be a fundamental skill.

Hopefully the availability of super cheap boards like the rasp pi makes this a reality in the not too distant future.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    like if I dressed based on how I wanted to feel absent others

I'd be at work in at most a pair of shorts letting my girth spill out and fill the workspace

Same goes for class

I honestly feel a hundred times better when I'm out in clothes I picked compared to work clothes. Wearing slobbish stuff would reduce that for me.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    you guys, I want these leggings:

knYEOug.jpg

like so bad, you have no idea.

Hey, I can almost see Uranus.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    our school had one computer class

I finished the semester's worth of work (basically learning to type) in two classes and spent the rest of the class dicking around on the internet

we had a small computer room in high school but there were literally no computer classes, not even a typing course. it was just for the kids who didn't have a home computer to do research and type assignments and stuff.

i get mad fucking jelly when i hear about programming and web design and electronics courses in high schools.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    going to prom was not even a consideration for me

it clearly wasn't going to happen
    Per3th.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    OMG ARE WE TALKING ABOUT PROM PICTURES

189836_4569599852_6326_n.jpg

I've got nothing to say against the clothes

but I do want to jump choco and hack his hair off kevin costner style
    xlh6c3.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    My Mexican co-producer just made the comment "why do I look like monkey in all these pictures" and I am trying so hard not to reply with racism.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    I don't have prom pictures, but it's safe to say I looked hot.

well, except the first prom I went to. I felt like my face resembled Camilla Parker-Bowles just a little too much for my comfort.

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/knYEO ug.jpg[/IMG]

they look fucking awful irl
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i took ap computer science and spent the whole class playing warcraft3 custom maps w/ my bros

#privilegeownz
    P10 on
    leggings

are

not

pants
    disagree
    Per3th.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    when i was young i was super defiant about the dress code. all "my clothes are an avenue for expression, you fascists!"

now i could not care less

Tell me about the half-windsor.

windsor and half windsor are ridiculous knots

pratt is where it's at

pratt is just a backwards windsor

and the small end ends up backwards

2/10

would not tie again

what

if anything it is a backwards half windsor

pratt:

pratt-knot-e1339336455155.gif

windsor:

krawattenknoten-grosser-windsorknoten.gif

half windsor:

krawattenknoten-kleiner-windsorknoten.gif

the full windsor has an extra loop in it vs pratt/half windsor

that diagram is the tie knot i use but is not generally regarded as a half-windsor.

this is the standard half-windsor:

half-windsor.jpg
    Irond Will on
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Pretty sure most people wear sexy clothes to feel sexy themselves and it has less to do with how others perceive them than everyone seems to think.

That's still a chicken-and-egg thing, though. For the vast majority of people what they define as sexy has been defined for them by the way others around them perceive them, sadly.

Well, it's molded by that obviously. I meant that at the point where a girl is picking out clothes in the morning, it's usually more "i love how I look in this" than "boys will love this."

I can't speak with authority but I'm pretty sure there are at least some girls who dress thinking "boys will love this", "girls will love this" or "I will gain the attention of the dark lord cthulu by wearing this"

Oh for sure! But I think they are rarer than most people imagine.
    Oh my god, those leggings are 48 bucks.

WHAT.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular

I'd be at work in at most a pair of shorts letting my girth spill out and fill the workspace

Same goes for class

I honestly feel a hundred times better when I'm out in clothes I picked compared to work clothes. Wearing slobbish stuff would reduce that for me.

I dress almost exclusively in a manner designed to not make me look like a loser when I am going out in public

it is an all consuming thought

never, ever in things I would actually like to wear
    leggings

are

not

pants

they're better
    prom was fine

i don't know why so many people wring their hands so much about it

i went with my girlfriend and then i got laid afterwards

nothing wrong with prom
    I think I will look to other people in a way that pleases me in these clothes.
    xlh6c3.png

Same goes for class

I dress almost exclusively in a manner designed to not make me look like a loser when I am going out in public

it is an all consuming thought

never, ever in things I would actually like to wear
    sometimes i wear jean shorts
    Per3th.jpg
    leggings

are

not

pants

they're not, but I wear them as such

because I can
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

it is one of those subjects, like Math but very much unlike History, that does not require maturity to master. In fact I think younger kids who are able to apply themselves to it have a distinct edge in pure coding (which also is very different from the job of being a programmer) over someone in their 20s or older.

I got started around 11ish years old. Actually made a weird little D&D (2nd ed rules) game when I was 12. All the art MS Paint on a windows 3.1 machine (a 286 16 MHz box with 2 megs of ram and a 40 meg hard drive) could handle.

Programming is something that I honestly am pissed is not taught to children almost immediately. The basic concepts are so simple and intuitive and so easily built off of that young children should be capable of grasping them much more easily than a lot of our even most rudimentary subjects. It's also a skill that has basically boundless applications. There are very, very few people in the world who wouldn't benefit from learning some programming logic.

Imagine the way it would affect the way products are made and society is run if we could make the same basic assumptions about literacy in programming as we can about literacy in English about the general populace? Programming ought to be a fundamental skill.

Hopefully the availability of super cheap boards like the rasp pi makes this a reality in the not too distant future.

not sure why that would be the case.

Far better tools for a beginner have been available for free download on a normal desktop for years now. Anyone with a computer in their home can get doing with no cost and no need for a board.

Pi is cool for people looking to tinker with robotics and such but not directly applicable to general programming.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular

for instance:

That's what I wore.

*gentle hand on shoulder*

no

no mortious

you

*tears up*

.......you didn't
    That's it Gooey, you're out of the [Chat] Navy.
    jBEKRTH.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure most people wear sexy clothes to feel sexy themselves and it has less to do with how others perceive them than everyone seems to think.

That's still a chicken-and-egg thing, though. For the vast majority of people what they define as sexy has been defined for them by the way others around them perceive them, sadly.

Well, it's molded by that obviously. I meant that at the point where a girl is picking out clothes in the morning, it's usually more "i love how I look in this" than "boys will love this."

Yup.

As Winky said, our views of ourselves are moulded to how other perceive us, but it's not completely dictated. I'd suspect this ratio changes with age (and confidence)?

My clothes now reflect more on what I like that what I think other people would like, but tempered by the social expectations of what is appropriate.

Also, after PAXAus is over and my hair grows long again, I need to rock a greaser outfit.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    maybe I will 'get in your outfit'

the game isn't very good solo

No, the game is awful solo.

In a good outfit it is like the best game ever, though.

We are on Helios.

When I tried it last month I was bitching about it a lot.

The shooting doesn't even get fun until you can unlock a scope! The iron sights are negative fun. I couldn't see shit and I was dying. As soon as I got the 4x with the chevrons it was duck season.

The thing is that as a solo player whether you are in a good position or you are getting farmed for an hour at a shitty spawn is 100% at the whim of the zerg. When you're playing with an outfit it's 100% at the whim of your platoon leader. The game is made in such a way that unfair fights are basically ordained unless you actively create fights you can win.

And I just happen to be a totally rad platoon leader.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Oh my god, those leggings are 48 bucks.

WHAT.

is that a lot for leggings?
    919UOwT.png
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Did someone say prom pics?

homecoming.jpg
    This was actually homecoming, but close enough.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    our school had one computer class

I finished the semester's worth of work (basically learning to type) in two classes and spent the rest of the class dicking around on the internet

we had a small computer room in high school but there were literally no computer classes, not even a typing course. it was just for the kids who didn't have a home computer to do research and type assignments and stuff.

i get mad fucking jelly when i hear about programming and web design and electronics courses in high schools.

in 10th grade I had a semester where there were literally no classes left with seats open for about 1/3 of my school day.

So they made me a teachers assistant. I was supposed to sit in the library and type out this teachers handwritten notes.

I got suspended for instead using the time to write a text adventure game in the QBASIC environment that came with DOS5 and later.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    now I'm really self conscious because I wear office shirt + khakis to school since I go directly to the office afterwards and have been told I dress like a nerd by a cute girl yesterday

but then again what does she know she doesn't have a job and her dad is paying for her education so fuck her

the cycle continues
    override367 on

not sure why that would be the case.

Far better tools for a beginner have been available for free download on a normal desktop for years now. Anyone with a computer in their home can get doing with no cost and no need for a board.

Pi is cool for people looking to tinker with robotics and such but not directly applicable to general programming.

There'd a much better chance of it being taught in schools though, which would expose it to a much wider audience and give people a better idea of what to expect from a comp sci course before they sign up for college.

We are on Helios.

The shooting doesn't even get fun until you can unlock a scope! The iron sights are negative fun. I couldn't see shit and I was dying. As soon as I got the 4x with the chevrons it was duck season.

The thing is that as a solo player whether you are in a good position or you are getting farmed for an hour at a shitty spawn is 100% at the whim of the zerg. When you're playing with an outfit it's 100% at the whim of your platoon leader. The game is made in such a way that unfair fights are basically ordained unless you actively create fights you can win.

And I just happen to be a totally rad platoon leader.

people should stop spawning at a location that is getting overrun

it is pointless!

if a decent bunch of them spawn somewhere else and hit the attackers in their butts they can get something done.

but always join a platoon. My outfit is just the outfit of my friends and acquaintances but we join the platoons of outfits we know are good.
    xlh6c3.png
    spool32 wrote: »
    Speaking of programming languages, the main education bill before the Texas legislature creates a STEM-oriented highschool diploma track that lets you take a programming language for your "language requirement".

I think that is an excellent idea.

really subverts the purpose of the language requirement

and if there's anything that engineers need, it's not getting waivers from having to learn stuff about the world at large
    CHANUS RUN THEIR FACES ARE BEING CONSUMED BY ELDRITCH POWERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

We are on Helios.

What faction are you playing?

The NC iron sites are boss.

knYEOug.jpg

you could just borrow a pair from @Podly
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    CHANUS RUN THEIR FACES ARE BEING CONSUMED BY ELDRITCH POWERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

OH MY GOD WERE ALL GONNA DIE
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
This discussion has been closed.