Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    now I'm really self conscious because I wear office shirt + khakis to school since I go directly to the office afterwards and have been told I dress like a nerd by a cute girl yesterday

but then again what does she know she doesn't have a job and her dad is paying for her education so fuck her

the cycle continues

yeah you're dressing like a nerd.
    xlh6c3.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I could see someone very young kicking ass at programming

it is one of those subjects, like Math but very much unlike History, that does not require maturity to master. In fact I think younger kids who are able to apply themselves to it have a distinct edge in pure coding (which also is very different from the job of being a programmer) over someone in their 20s or older.

I got started around 11ish years old. Actually made a weird little D&D (2nd ed rules) game when I was 12. All the art MS Paint on a windows 3.1 machine (a 286 16 MHz box with 2 megs of ram and a 40 meg hard drive) could handle.

Programming is something that I honestly am pissed is not taught to children almost immediately. The basic concepts are so simple and intuitive and so easily built off of that young children should be capable of grasping them much more easily than a lot of our even most rudimentary subjects. It's also a skill that has basically boundless applications. There are very, very few people in the world who wouldn't benefit from learning some programming logic.

Imagine the way it would affect the way products are made and society is run if we could make the same basic assumptions about literacy in programming as we can about literacy in English about the general populace? Programming ought to be a fundamental skill.

Hopefully the availability of super cheap boards like the rasp pi makes this a reality in the not too distant future.

not sure why that would be the case.

Far better tools for a beginner have been available for free download on a normal desktop for years now. Anyone with a computer in their home can get doing with no cost and no need for a board.

Pi is cool for people looking to tinker with robotics and such but not directly applicable to general programming.

It's meant to encourage the same kind of experimentation that systems like the Sinclair Spectrum or C64 did.

You're more likely to play around with a system that has no real purpose but experimentation than something that either requires a sandbox or that you might fuck up.
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    Oh my god, those leggings are 48 bucks.

WHAT.

is that a lot for leggings?

that's a lot for me >:{
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    those space stockings look like they are being worn by a famine victim.

if the camera panned up I would expect to see a distended belly and exposed ribs and sunken dead eyes
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    if you want nerds to take a foreign language in high school just offer japanese
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    now I'm really self conscious because I wear office shirt + khakis to school since I go directly to the office afterwards and have been told I dress like a nerd by a cute girl yesterday

but then again what does she know she doesn't have a job and her dad is paying for her education so fuck her

the cycle continues

I know and I don't know what to do about it

I guess quit my job or drop out of school, those are both options

or change in the car but fuck that double laundry I think not
    override367 on
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    maybe I will 'get in your outfit'

the game isn't very good solo

No, the game is awful solo.

In a good outfit it is like the best game ever, though.

We are on Helios.

When I tried it last month I was bitching about it a lot.

The shooting doesn't even get fun until you can unlock a scope! The iron sights are negative fun. I couldn't see shit and I was dying. As soon as I got the 4x with the chevrons it was duck season.

The thing is that as a solo player whether you are in a good position or you are getting farmed for an hour at a shitty spawn is 100% at the whim of the zerg. When you're playing with an outfit it's 100% at the whim of your platoon leader. The game is made in such a way that unfair fights are basically ordained unless you actively create fights you can win.

And I just happen to be a totally rad platoon leader.

people should stop spawning at a location that is getting overrun

it is pointless!

if a decent bunch of them spawn somewhere else and hit the attackers in their butts they can get something done.

but always join a platoon. My outfit is just the outfit of my friends and acquaintances but we join the platoons of outfits we know are good.

Yeah, question number 1 is "Are we getting farmed?"

And if the answer to this question is "Yes" then we should go somewhere else.

Unfortunately the game has a difficulty curve like a brick wall and doesn't really lead you naturally to these conclusions.
    vspgsp.jpg
    japan wrote: »

it is one of those subjects, like Math but very much unlike History, that does not require maturity to master. In fact I think younger kids who are able to apply themselves to it have a distinct edge in pure coding (which also is very different from the job of being a programmer) over someone in their 20s or older.

I got started around 11ish years old. Actually made a weird little D&D (2nd ed rules) game when I was 12. All the art MS Paint on a windows 3.1 machine (a 286 16 MHz box with 2 megs of ram and a 40 meg hard drive) could handle.

Programming is something that I honestly am pissed is not taught to children almost immediately. The basic concepts are so simple and intuitive and so easily built off of that young children should be capable of grasping them much more easily than a lot of our even most rudimentary subjects. It's also a skill that has basically boundless applications. There are very, very few people in the world who wouldn't benefit from learning some programming logic.

Imagine the way it would affect the way products are made and society is run if we could make the same basic assumptions about literacy in programming as we can about literacy in English about the general populace? Programming ought to be a fundamental skill.

Hopefully the availability of super cheap boards like the rasp pi makes this a reality in the not too distant future.

Far better tools for a beginner have been available for free download on a normal desktop for years now. Anyone with a computer in their home can get doing with no cost and no need for a board.

Pi is cool for people looking to tinker with robotics and such but not directly applicable to general programming.

It's meant to encourage the same kind of experimentation that systems like the Sinclair Spectrum or C64 did.

You're more likely to play around with a system that has no real purpose but experimentation than something that either requires a sandbox or that you might fuck up.

hmm, yeah I suppose that's true.

Though for kids today I think it work better to give them the indie dev tools for an xbox or PS4 (in a few months)

something more directly relatable
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    I've basically stopped using any scopes but the 1x and 2x reflex sights.

I can still hit people far away just fine with a 2x, but I'm not totally fucked up close like I would be with a 3.4x or 4x
    xlh6c3.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular

if the camera panned up I would expect to see a distended belly and exposed ribs and sunken dead eyes

are they american apparel?
    919UOwT.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

THIGH GAP
    Per3th.jpg
  • override367override367 Registered User regular

it's likely a professional model, so correct on both counts
    also: I want to punch whatever developer put regular iron sights on the rocket launcher and then made it fire like a thrown baseball

that's... that's just retarded.
    xlh6c3.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    alright so the not so stable lady is coming by tonight and i am going to tell her that she needs to slow things down.

man i aught to think of appropriate words because i'm drawing a blank other than YOURE BEING A CRAZY PERSON AND ITS SCARY
    DasUberEdward on
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
    i got bored of ps2 because it's difficult to accomplish anything meaningful in the game solo.

vehicle/infantry balance was poopy too and grinding certs to unlock not shit launchers so you weren't vehicle fodder suxed
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    I'm basically just fighting against the idea that most women pick their clothes to elicit a certain response. It's really more for internal stuff in most cases.

Also I'm being a bad employee, so sorry I'm so slow.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

the cycle continues

I wouldn't let it bother you.

I pitched up to an exam in a suit once. Screw the haters.

• TavTav Registered User regular

Though for kids today I think it work better to give them the indie dev tools for an xbox or PS4 (in a few months)

no school ever is going to do this
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

Rule #1 for girls: be skinny, don't not be skinny.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    I don't think the 4x scope is that bad up close.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Also, flying the ESFs are fun. Even the stock ones.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i wore sweat pants or athletic shorts all day erryday until i graduated undergrad

you're the worst person i know and hitler was my godfather

looking back on it i wish id dressed a little nicer

not because i gave a shit what other people thought

but because while she never said anything really it probably was a bit of a drag on my wife, and i do enjoy it when she gets all dolled up
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    having to grind a lot of certs (or do as we did, spend money) to get like... basic functionality is a really annoying thing about planetside 2.

the fighters are useless against ground things without 1000 cert rockets.

the anti tank guys are useless against tanks without 1000 cert lock-in launchers.

the gunship is useless without the 750 cert cannons

anti-air MAXes are poop without a 1000 cert additional flak cannon

and so on.
    xlh6c3.png

no school ever is going to do this

meh, no school is ever going to teach programming right. We just do not hire or train teachers in a way where that would be possible.

It's a damned miracle if a teacher these days can use Outlook correctly.
    Mortious wrote: »

they've got quite the learning curve since they behave... strangely.
    xlh6c3.png
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I'm basically just fighting against the idea that most women pick their clothes to elicit a certain response. It's really more for internal stuff in most cases.

Also I'm being a bad employee, so sorry I'm so slow.

shivahn

i think we know a little bit more about how womens minds work than you

after all we are from the internet
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    P10 wrote: »

ironically, this would probably make them worse at understanding life beyond their narrow nerd-focus

this is crazy person talk

man, bullshit.
    xlh6c3.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular

the cycle continues

I almost never wear suits, but I really should. Most people look better in suits and it can help in lots of situations.

Guys. Let's all go wear suits
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

the cycle continues

I almost never wear suits, but I really should. Most people look better in suits and it can help in lots of situations.

Guys. Let's all go wear suits

if you buy them
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh

Heading into quick doctors appointment -- should be back around 5:00, but if not that's why. Will be on irc ASAP when I get home.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

same thing for dudes:

be skinny and also muscley.

they've got quite the learning curve since they behave... strangely.

I found them quite similar to the Helis in BF3, so it wasn't a big jump for me I guess.

Still can't dogfight worth a damn, but still. fun fun.
    the number one annoying thing about planetside is how ugly it is.
    xlh6c3.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular

I'm thin, but not skinny.

Skinny didn't look too good on me, my mother told me years later >_>
    the number one annoying thing about planetside is trees.

• LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I try to dress nicely for the most part now, except for at work some days. I wear a Doctor Who Polo and I wore this one today:
    avengers_polo.png?42

But that's because they just barely fit in our dress code, and the powers that be caused people a lot of personal financial hardship in this office when they suddenly changed to a strict dress code not even enforced at HQ. Not everyone here makes super great money and when your building services guys have to crawl on the floor with slacks on, there's a problem.

So I wear these shirts in defiance. Because they are technically allowed.

The best kind of allowed.
    Ludious on
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
    Irond Will wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »

ironically, this would probably make them worse at understanding life beyond their narrow nerd-focus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nke0Gj2SUOs
This discussion has been closed.