Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Like, I have a really hard time believing (X-Men First Class spoilers)
    ...the Russians and the US are suddenly buddy-buddy hey lets kill this group of like 10 people on this island by launching ALL OF OUR EVERYTHING AT THEM. That seemed really bizarre to me.

It's an easy choice. As far as the top brass knows, they can't fire back.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Be excited for GTA5, Winky

It's the biggest most detailed sandbox yet!
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    I need you guys to tell me what is up with water fluoridation

people keep bringing it up and I want to tell them it is something not to worry about. but then they give arguments and statements that end up with

BUT WHY

and i can't say anything other than because that's the way we've always done it.

help.

It's sort of like adding iodine to salt. Except instead of preventing goiters, it prevents cavities. There's some dispute over how effective it is at that, but there's basically no evidence that it's harmful either. The trace amounts of fluoride in water aren't enough to be toxic to pretty much anyone except for maybe people in kidney failure, who have more pressing issues.
    dkmouthsig.png
    I have no idea what this is about. I am linking random videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGtcep5Tg14
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    The only thing you need to know about water fluoridation is that if someone is worried about it you need to get them back to their caretaker and not let them operate heavy machinery.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Wikipedia has a great article on fluoridation of water that tells you pretty much everything you need to know:

355px-Unholy_three.png
    dkmouthsig.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    We had fluoride in our water when I was growing up. As a result I have no cavities. Am I going to die?
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

people keep bringing it up and I want to tell them it is something not to worry about. but then they give arguments and statements that end up with

BUT WHY

and i can't say anything other than because that's the way we've always done it.

help.

It's sort of like adding iodine to salt. Except instead of preventing goiters, it prevents cavities. There's some dispute over how effective it is at that, but there's basically no evidence that it's harmful either. The trace amounts of fluoride in water aren't enough to be toxic to pretty much anyone except for maybe people in kidney failure, who have more pressing issues.

Fluorine binds to tooth enamel and hardens it. Areas without water fluoridation in Australia - ubiquitously - have far higher cavity rates then areas with it.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We had fluoride in our water when I was growing up. As a result I have no cavities. Am I going to die?

Well, yes.

Eventually.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

BUT WHY

help.

Fluorine binds to tooth enamel and hardens it. Areas without water fluoridation in Australia - ubiquitously - have far higher cavity rates then areas with it.

Luckily for me I've been drinking copious mounts of acidic carbonated sugar water for most of my life!

Take that, government attempts to keep my teeth healthy!
    sigtk.jpg
    355px-Unholy_three.png

I didn't know zombies were part of pop culture in 1963. I thought the craze started with Night of the Living Dead in 1968.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Dragonflies are pretty.

Though they are ancient.

You can tell because their wings don't fold back.

That is all.

Wait what?

If I recall correctly, of course... insects evolved wings, then later evolved the ability to fold them back. So the older clades, that split off waaaay back then, can be identified by their fixed wings.

I have a book on this somewhere! It's the hardcoriest book. @Arch recommended it and I love him for it.

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllly late but yes, sort of

Palaeoptera is monophyletic*, but it is unknown whether or not the "lack of wing folding" is a synapomorphy for the clade or not

*maybe

Shivahn

What book?
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    355px-Unholy_three.png

I didn't know zombies were part of pop culture in 1963. I thought the craze started with Night of the Living Dead in 1968.

Night of the Living Dead popularized the "ghoul" zombies.

They were a thing before then. A different thing though.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

BUT WHY

help.

oh alright. so all of their claims about too much being a bad thing are bunk.

i just sort of accepted that it was toxic in high doses. silly me.
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

BUT WHY

help.

You'll die from water toxicity before the fluorine gets close to harming you.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

BUT WHY

help.

too much oxygen will kill you

Fight Obama's Clean Air Facism
    Lh96QHG.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    fluoride in the water is much like (though not as important as) vaccination: it has improved public health in fundamental ways so that these days there are actually fucking wankers who have no idea that the problems it alleviates even existed.

Problems with teeth are not something cosmetic or a luxury item. The fact we often think of them that way just shows how advanced our civilization has become.

A very short time ago, a tooth abscess would often kill you. Rich or poor. The mummies of dead Pharaohs show that being (for the time) the richest man in the world could not prevent death from bad teeth. One of the earliest human-ancestors known (the "Turkana Boy" skeleton) died of a tooth abscess.

Fluoride in the water has, in aggregate, added years (and useful years) to the lives of hundreds of millions.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    just got back from Iron Man 3 fucking loved it!
    edited May 2013
    Fluorides are bad in high doses but you're not going to get a toxic dose from the municipal water supply, where they're only adding trace amounts to begin with. Plus they the monitor the levels just in case, say, an earthquake opens a huge sodium fluoride pocket directly into the water table.
    Donkey Kong on
    dkmouthsig.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    If Farnsworth was a Lich:

4B56A4A051369083CDB0501BEC72BE93E8ECBDAD

In the words of the old sages: Life's a Lich, and then you never die.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    Like, no, you shouldn't drink a gallon of flouride.

But that is also not what you are doing when you have a glass of tap water.
    Lh96QHG.png

AComradeFromEarth
    dkmouthsig.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    ASheepleFromEarth?
    sig.gif
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    AManFromMars?

Codename AMFM Radioman.
    Corehealer on
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    glad i'm not crazy for thinking not crazy thoughts.
    A few years ago, they installed a water filter down the street. I only use tap water for cooking, not drinking.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    Look, if something is up with the water the government will tell us.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    Jesus, did a fucking Bircher post in chat?
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.

AComradeFromEarth

avfacing
    Lh96QHG.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Made it to midnight.

Bradtime for Bed.

Goodnight [chat]!
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    god vampire weekend are so fucking terrible
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
    Podly wrote: »

oh! and uh that one gypsy thing whatever the fuck Gogol Bordello.
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Hey let's talk about homeschooling and vaccines next.

This is great.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Be excited for GTA5, Winky

It's the biggest most detailed sandbox yet!

Yeah, but of LA

Gross
    vspgsp.jpg
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

This is great.

Homeschooling badly needs more oversight to prevent it from being used to make kids 1-2 do nothing but care for kids 3+

People who don't vaccinate their kids are child abusers and should be charged with a crime

next?

What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I wolfed down that $20 bento box like it was $10!

What is this, a dinner for ants!?
    vspgsp.jpg

This is great.

Unfortunately there is no vaccine against homeschooling.
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

oh! and uh that one gypsy thing whatever the fuck Gogol Bordello.

God when GTA4 came out PA forums fucking went crazy over Gogol Bordello.

Just horrendous, and it wasn't even in the game.

This is great.

Alright I knew it was real crazy dumb. But I didn't have all of the arguments to put down the crazy dumb. Just the majority of them.
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Dragonflies are pretty.

Though they are ancient.

You can tell because their wings don't fold back.

That is all.

Wait what?

If I recall correctly, of course... insects evolved wings, then later evolved the ability to fold them back. So the older clades, that split off waaaay back then, can be identified by their fixed wings.

I have a book on this somewhere! It's the hardcoriest book. @Arch recommended it and I love him for it.

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllly late but yes, sort of

Palaeoptera is monophyletic*, but it is unknown whether or not the "lack of wing folding" is a synapomorphy for the clade or not

*maybe

Shivahn

What book?

This one

It is a bit dated at this point, but you can usually get it kind of cheaply, and it is a nice table-top entomology book because it is beautiful.

A more accurate and up-to-date book is the most recent Gullan and Cranston text book. I like it quite a bit, especially if you get the one with "taxonomy boxes" which are short boxes with a drawing of an insect order and a short life history description.

(note the one linked there is not the most recent I don't think)
This discussion has been closed.