Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    So I'm watching Michael Clayton

I have heard good things!

@Evil Multifarious I like this movie a lot. It's not the only film to try to capture the recent zeitgeist but I think it's one of the more successful. It reminds me of the classic 70s social thrillers.

I liked it, but as I mentioned in the film thread it seems like ultimately Clayton didn't do much

Some things happened to him and then the movie ended

he acts at the end

I dunno, I mean you're largely right but I think his passivity is part of the point. he's been taking the path of least resistance for so long that his big epiphany is discovering that he can do a thing. and then he does it, and that's the story.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Wow that is just a poor response in every way

What kind of fantasy is he living in, where his clothes are only for "cool kids?"

Also anyone who uses the phrase all-American without irony is a puke
    Evil Multifarious on
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    my favorite recent 70's social drama has been The Conversation

brilliant analysis of the fidelity of an audio signal vs it's content and the sacrifices you make to try and investigate one over the other
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    hey girls started talking to me in high school when I put on A&F

so uh. wait. what.
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    936343_10151509625769213_762136414_n.png

someone I know who is a musician just posted this:
    NEW DRESS CODE:

If you attend a show at which Morrison's Prophecy is appearing and are wearing Abercrombe and Fitch merchandise, your money will be refunded and you will be asked to leave.

Likewise, if you ask for a photo with me, I will only agree to do so if you are not wearing A&F. This is not a "goth" thing. This is because A&F propagate body issues among teenagers and i REFUSE to be even peripherally associated with them.

I admire A+Fs honesty
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Goddamn, that makes me want to gain all my weight back, grow a ponytail, and go hang around in Abercrombie stores.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Mazzy, I checked and saw that komachi actually comes up in my dictionary as meaning "local beauty"

Add it to the list of weird vocabulary, I guess!

Odd, didn't come up in mine.

Probably an archaic word so not used much. Never heard it before either.

Yay language!
    falasig.png
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I stopped watching the Vitamin D video 30 seconds or so in.

It's always some 60 yr old dude who thinks somehow he found the secret to health and either nobody else figured it out or they're in cahoots with BIG PHARMA to HIDE THE TRUTH!

and no corporation is going to slightly modify a massive vitamin D tablet, patent it, and sell it for $300 a bottle as a cure all and make mountains of cash with it either
  • NecoNeco Registered User regular
    Does this mean if I buy that brand then I am a cool? sweeet
    I think vitamin D is pretty good for you but like in a way that makes you slightly healthier which is p boring
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

It's always some 60 yr old dude who thinks somehow he found the secret to health and either nobody else figured it out or they're in cahoots with BIG PHARMA to HIDE THE TRUTH!

and no corporation is going to slightly modify a massive vitamin D tablet, patent it, and sell it for $300 a bottle as a cure all and make mountains of cash with it either

you can go into any supermarket right now and buy more vitamin D than your body could ever possibly absorb for a few dollars.

where is the conspiracy?
    RiemannLives on
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Yay, the thread ate my post!

it was about the dream i had last night.

Abdhyius and i met, in Norway, and we went to a miltiary-themed amusement park for tax refund day... then aliens attacked.

there had better be a pre-ass kicking montage
    Cinders wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    We have an over-representative sample of Canadians than we should based on their pitiful population count.

You ever notice we never get any South Americans in [chat]? No French, no Germans, and no Italians, either.

Just a sea of Canadians and Swedes ...

Haphazard is German.

We're mostly Americans, Canadians, and Brits I think, with a handful of Australians and New Zealanders. Basically all the peeps that come pre-installed with English.

we scandinavians basically come pre-installed with english too

bit inferior installation maybe.
    xlh6c3.png
    AF is really stupid

after all there are rich fat kids who are popular
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    936343_10151509625769213_762136414_n.png

Truly it is easier to pass through the eye of a needle then to get into heaven as a "cool, good looking" person.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    I really want a wave of ugly people to start posting fake ads of them wearing AnF

Just absolutely flood the intertubes
    has everyone seen the CEO of A+F's bizarre list of requirements for flight attendants on his personal jet
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    I think vitamin D is pretty good for you but like in a way that makes you slightly healthier which is p boring

Like no one has enough.

At work almost half the labs that come back come back abnormal and like 70% of the time it's just low vitamin D.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    I really want a wave of ugly people to start posting fake ads of them wearing AnF

I'm on it
    turtlesig.jpg

it's like an MMO talent that increases attack speed by 1% per point

I mean like yeah you'll get it, but its so meh
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

Sadly that would involve a lot of stretching fabrics and giving business to A+F.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • NecoNeco Registered User regular
    I like some of A&F's ads, but seriously...
    can not STAND their actual clothing...

OOOHHH CONTROVERSIAL OPINION ALL UP IN HERE
    Shivahn wrote: »

Like no one has enough.

At work almost half the labs that come back come back abnormal and like 70% of the time it's just low vitamin D.

My body only absorbs at like a 50% rate on good days because that part of the intestine is gone!

But really northern hemisphere folks tend to not get the minimum 20 minutes of direct sunlight they need.

Of course I also take a shit ton of Vitamin D to barely make normal so I am not your standard person.
    falasig.png
    has everyone seen the CEO of A+F's bizarre list of requirements for flight attendants on his personal jet

oh please share
    i get enough! i took supplements for a while and now my levels are appropriate

and i think my soy milk is fortified with it maybe?
    edited May 2013

you can go into any supermarket right now and buy more vitamin D than your body could ever possibly absorb for a few dollars.

where is the conspiracy?

I'm saying if something as common as vitamin D really could cure virtually any disease there would be a vastly more expensive version would be patented and marketed as the "real super cure" by every pharma corporation

they wouldn't try and cover it up by hiding it in plain sight on every store shelf
    override367 on
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    I kind of assumed that was the reason a lot of clothing stores don't sell fat person clothing but I'm surprised that CEO just came out and said it
    jBEKRTH.png
    OR
    WOULD
    THEY
    dkmouthsig.png
    do teenagers even buy that much clothing?

seeing adults wear a+f is like a bad joke. so if their biggest demographic is preppy and jockish high schoolers

i dunno, seems pretty ill advised to be so cavalier about your douchiness when your market is fickle and what most people want to avoid looking like and the market itself doesn't have a lot of spending power
    biden%20sig.png
    i get enough! i took supplements for a while and now my levels are appropriate

and i think my soy milk is fortified with it maybe?

Almost all milk is.

We figured out we needed to do this in the early 1900's because rickets!
    falasig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    @Podly good man

now watch Three Days of the Condor, The Parallax View, and The French Connection
    the parallax view is so damn good

never seen three days of condor

gotta check that one out
    biden%20sig.png
    Calvin Klein sells clothes for fat people. Polo sells clothes for fat people. I have a big old list of real brands.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »

Like no one has enough.

My body only absorbs at like a 50% rate on good days because that part of the intestine is gone!

But really northern hemisphere folks tend to not get the minimum 20 minutes of direct sunlight they need.

Of course I also take a shit ton of Vitamin D to barely make normal so I am not your standard person.

I avoid the sun because I am a vampire.

Also to avoid pigmentation issues where I get my face zapped.

Milk will save me!
    edited May 2013

oh please share
    In the legal filings outed by Bloomberg today, Jeffries and his "life partner" (as the lawsuit refers to him) Matthew Smith rule over the Gulfstream G550 with a compulsive attention to detail, requiring employees to abide by a 47-page manual that specifies everything from the seating arrangement of Jeffries' dogs to the precise temperature at which the crew may wear winter coats (50 degrees).

The documents in the lawsuit -- filed in 2010 by a pilot who claimed he was fired for being too old -- lay Abercrombie & Fitch's secretive corporate culture and the private life of its CEO nearly as bare as its models' hairless chests.

Here are some highlights from the "Aircraft Standards" manual:

The four models or actors who work as cabin attendants must never respond to Matthew or Michael, as the manual refers to Jeffries and Smith, by saying anything but a friendly "no problem." Phrases like "sure" or "just a minute" are not permitted.

Crew members are provided with a specific uniform by Abercrombie & Fitch: jeans, boxer briefs, polo shirts and flip flops. When it is 50 degrees or colder outside, all crew members are required to wear winter coats. The jacket should be zipped up to the "forth button from the bottom," the manual specifies. "The lowest button should be left undone," it says.

Hats, meanwhile, are against the rules unless the temperature is below 40 degrees. When they are worn, brims must be two-inches thick and pulled down "approximately in the middle of the forehead."

Male staff (yes, only males) should "spritz" their uniforms with Abercrombie & Fitch #41 cologne "throughout the duration of the shift."

Fingerprints are not permitted. Cabin attendants must constantly check for fingerprints "on the credenza, cabin door, galley door, ledges and the cabinet doors in the lavatory." Seat belts should also be "free of fingerprints or marks."

The crew must monitor the tops of lamp bases for dust (they collect dust frequently, the manual states). When they vacuum, the crew must move from the front to the back of the aircraft to create "smooth, even lines."

Cabin attendants must remove all loose advertising and inserts from the 13 specific magazines that are stocked in the aircraft's credenza, as well as the newspapers which are bought on board. Different newspapers are to be stocked based on the day of the week and the region in which the aircraft is flying.

In bathrooms, eight washcloths (exactly eight) must be "tri-folded" and placed behind the vanity. Toilet paper must be left as a square and not folded.
    On flights home, the crew must make sure to play the song "Take Me Home" as guests enter the cabin.

Before guests go to sleep, crew should "spray the bedding with sleep spray."

Michael and Matthew's dogs Ruby, Trouble and Sammy are nearly as picky as their owners, it seems. The manual outlines a five-point instruction set for seating the pets. "When Ruby and Trouble travel, Ruby will sit opposite Michael in the cabin, in Sammy's seat," it says. "When Sammy travels, Ruby will sit in Trouble's seat."

Crew can eat meals only on flights longer than two hours, and only food that is not "aromatic."

When serving what the manual calls "Matthew's Tea Service" (which consists of Assam tea in the morning and Darjeeling after 2 p.m.) crew should lay out a teaspoon that is exactly 5 and 1/4 inches long.]
    Casual Eddy on
    wandering wrote: »
    I kind of assumed that was the reason a lot of clothing stores don't sell fat person clothing but I'm surprised that CEO just came out and said it

As a matter of practicality maybe

I suspect some of them take a similar quasi-moral/pride stance about it, like yeah, we make stuff for COOL people, not fatties.

But in many cases it's a matter of picking a demographic and being efficient about targeting those people
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Goddamn, that makes me want to gain all my weight back, grow a ponytail, and go hang around in Abercrombie stores.

We should set up D&D games right in front.

Weekly Magic the Gathering tournaments in the doorway.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    So, usually homeschooling is about religion, is that right? Mommy and Daddy don't want little precious to learn about evolution and reproduction and secularism?

I know one lady who is a total hippie and homeschools her 8 year old son because she doesn't want him "trained to work in a corporate setting." He's also ADHD and starved for socialization.

The only people I know who have been homeschooled are my US cousins.

While they were religious, it wasn't a religious thing. Or at least I didn't see anything that points to that when I was over there (granted I didn't look)

As far as I understood it, it was a cost thing + transport/weather thing since they lived in Boulder, Colorado. Gorgeous house on the mountain, surrounded by forests with a patio overlooking the edge.

So school was far, and travel was sometimes spotty due to snow.

There was also a cougar eating the local pets.

I have an idea of where such locations exist in the Boulder.

In fact I went to a public school in Colorado that served such families.

The buses have gigantic wheels to get up the hills in the snow. And my elementary had buses driving 45 minutes out.

So that seems off to me.

eh, maybe. Don't nearly have enough experience to say eitherway.
    they say that colloidal silver will cure any disease because silver is antibacterial

so I got a better idea, drinking bleach because its even better at that
    Podly wrote: »
    do teenagers even buy that much clothing?

seeing adults wear a+f is like a bad joke. so if their biggest demographic is preppy and jockish high schoolers

i dunno, seems pretty ill advised to be so cavalier about your douchiness when your market is fickle and what most people want to avoid looking like and the market itself doesn't have a lot of spending power

Maybe we'll get lucky and this will add a few nails to the coffin.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I go through whole milk like nobody's business

and now that summer is here I am going to get SO MUCH SUNLIGHT
    xlh6c3.png
This discussion has been closed.