Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Hey let's talk about homeschooling and vaccines next.

This is great.

Homeschooling badly needs more oversight to prevent it from being used to make kids 1-2 do nothing but care for kids 3+

People who don't vaccinate their kids are child abusers and should be charged with a crime

next?

If I'm ever standing beside you and you get shot, I'll pray for your recovery.
    I mean it won't help you from bleeding out from what would otherwise be a superficial wound.
    But I'll feel good about myself even when the police are berating me for not calling the paramedics.
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    @Cinders , @Shivahn

Evans is a bit better for a general overview of entomology and has better physiology, I think

Gullan and Cranston are better evolution and go into a bit more depth in places, and are also more up to date. But also the book is textbook sized instead of coffee-table sized

• knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    So, usually homeschooling is about religion, is that right? Mommy and Daddy don't want little precious to learn about evolution and reproduction and secularism?

I know one lady who is a total hippie and homeschools her 8 year old son because she doesn't want him "trained to work in a corporate setting." He's also ADHD and starved for socialization.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Gogol Bordello is fun gypsy music

What are you guys even talking about
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular

This is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdLNMEXWTL8
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Cinders , Shivahn

Evans is a bit better for a general overview of entomology and has better physiology, I think

Gullan and Cranston are better evolution and go into a bit more depth in places, and are also more up to date. But also the book is textbook sized instead of coffee-table sized

WRITING THIS DOWN
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular

no this is fun gypsy music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4z3Gp4dp5I&playnext=1&list=PL1B0A16AB8F68F1D9
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    As Dewback falls into a deep slumber one must wonder what dreams haunt him as he quietly mummers "fuck...the...police." before continuing his wretched snoring.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Chat what is good to watch?
    vspgsp.jpg
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

goodfellas
    sig.gif
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    Like, if I ever (hah, when I do) teach an Entomology intro course, I am gonna use Gullan and Cranston most likely

but if someone, like shiv, is like "hey I wanna know about bugz in a bit more detail than the average joe" then I recommend Evans' book
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Buckaroo Banzai. Green Wing. Episodes. Anything in youtube by Charlie Brooker.

Or this excellent miniseries which is also entirely in youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0oXJ0Ocjr8&list=PLnmSbD2_drCCoWGFcn2NQDXpwCV4OhKjz&index=1
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    Podly wrote: »

no this is fun gypsy music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4z3Gp4dp5I&playnext=1&list=PL1B0A16AB8F68F1D9

Beirut has never even stolen a child from a village and raised them to be a knife juggler
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So, usually homeschooling is about religion, is that right? Mommy and Daddy don't want little precious to learn about evolution and reproduction and secularism?

I know one lady who is a total hippie and homeschools her 8 year old son because she doesn't want him "trained to work in a corporate setting." He's also ADHD and starved for socialization.

The only people I know who have been homeschooled are my US cousins.

While they were religious, it wasn't a religious thing. Or at least I didn't see anything that points to that when I was over there (granted I didn't look)

As far as I understood it, it was a cost thing + transport/weather thing since they lived in Boulder, Colorado. Gorgeous house on the mountain, surrounded by forests with a patio overlooking the edge.

So school was far, and travel was sometimes spotty due to snow.

There was also a cougar eating the local pets.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

Ronin.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
    I'm pretty sure beirut has actually done a ton of crazy things in his life

he spent his teenage years in a weird electronic band and wandering faraway lands

i mean, he hung out with albanians

that's guaranteed trouble right there
    biden%20sig.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

While they were religious, it wasn't a religious thing. Or at least I didn't see anything that points to that when I was over there (granted I didn't look)

As far as I understood it, it was a cost thing + transport/weather thing since they lived in Boulder, Colorado. Gorgeous house on the mountain, surrounded by forests with a patio overlooking the edge.

I have an idea of where such locations exist in the Boulder.

In fact I went to a public school in Colorado that served such families.

The buses have gigantic wheels to get up the hills in the snow. And my elementary had buses driving 45 minutes out.

So that seems off to me.
    falasig.png

he spent his teenage years in a weird electronic band and wandering faraway lands

Pretty busy

Probably why he makes such flaccid music
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    homeschooling is usually of two ends of the spectrum

you do have the religious ones, but you also have people who would rather not have their kids in public schools for whatever reason. usually because the schools are bad or the parents think they could do a better job. they're usually middle class or better off since you need one parent with a high income to support the mom/dad staying at home even during school hours.

If its done correctly there are huge benefits. I think a lot of homeschoolers pool their resources so the kids grow up in a social environment and interact with each other. I think the good homeschoolers encourage their kids to participate in group activities. you also have the advantage of going on a field trip whenever and wherever you want - i mean you can spend an entire week at an a museum or something. you can also teach things not generally taught in schools like personal finance and home economics. you can tailor a curriculum to a kid's needs.

but yeah, not everyone does this, nor do they have the resources to do so. a single wage earner bringing in enough money to support an entire family is increasingly becoming a luxury. but it's not like homeschoolers are universal whackjobs. I think a lot of people are understandably dubious about letting people with sometimes suspect credentials teach their kids for 6+ hours every day

Public school in the US is free, and rural school districts have buses that come to your house, or near enough that transport isn't really an issue most places.

Unless they lived 30 miles away on really bad roads, I'm guessing it was for religious reasons.

Pretty busy

Probably why he makes such flaccid music

beirut plays melodies

I ain't defending a motherfucker who's down with fucking harmony like some sort of capitalist pig dog

biden%20sig.png

Public school in the US is free, and rural school districts have buses that come to your house, or near enough that transport isn't really an issue most places.

Unless they lived 30 miles away on really bad roads, I'm guessing it was for religious reasons.

I often hear about people (usually well off people) homeschooling in order to provide a better education than the public schools in their area can.

Back in the woods where I came from homeschooling was universally used as a means for poor ass hicks with way too many kids have the older kids stay home and care for the younger ones while never getting an education at all.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

This is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdLNMEXWTL8

Wow increases the immune system 3 to 5 times!

What's the normal power level for an immune system and how much power level does it take to defeat diptheria?
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    So I'm watching Michael Clayton

I have heard good things!

@Evil Multifarious I like this movie a lot. It's not the only film to try to capture the recent zeitgeist but I think it's one of the more successful. It reminds me of the classic 70s social thrillers.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    I will say most of the home schooled kids I know, even the ones with social groups like Eddy is talking about, are super stunted when it comes to social interaction. A lot of ques you learn to read through interaction at school with large groups are not really around as much in small group interactions.

School is more than just learning in the classroom it is very much our tool of socializing children to function in society and home schooled kids miss out on that.
    falasig.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0oXJ0Ocjr8&list=PLnmSbD2_drCCoWGFcn2NQDXpwCV4OhKjz&index=1

You did not start with "This is based on a story by Douglas Adams", which is doing me an incredible disservice!

Luckily I started watching it anyway and found that out myself.
    vspgsp.jpg
    edited May 2013
    One advantage homeschoolers have is (assuming the parents take them to activities) typically more interaction with older and younger kids

our educational system sectioning kids off by age, I believe, is a problem since children learn from older children pretty fucking effectively

We're like hard wired to mimic older kids as a species
    override367 on

You did not start with "This is based on a story by Douglas Adams", which is doing me an incredible disservice!

Luckily I started watching it anyway and found that out myself.

as is right and proper for Douglas Adams books, it is only very very loosely based on the books. But its a really good show.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    936343_10151509625769213_762136414_n.png

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    So I'm watching Michael Clayton

I have heard good things!

@Evil Multifarious I like this movie a lot. It's not the only film to try to capture the recent zeitgeist but I think it's one of the more successful. It reminds me of the classic 70s social thrillers.

I liked it, but as I mentioned in the film thread it seems like ultimately Clayton didn't do much

Some things happened to him and then the movie ended
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    man. i am two days away from failing out of college a second time.

i was a freshman in 2006.

7 years ago. still can't and wont finish it. real pathetic vibes going on in my 8x9 room right now.

i did make the dean's list twice. so that counts right.
    DasUberEdward on
    Yet that is exactly what i see here.
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    excuse me i heard there were some girls in here questioning their sexuality

*revs motorcycle*

I've been doing this. Sort of.

It's kinda boring though.

Like the outcome either way is "eh."

Anticlimactic.
    what no

more sexuality always better in my book

@So It Goes

Yeah! I think so too, even if it's a bit scary.

I just meant that like

So I spent several years doubting my gender identity and questioning and dealing with feelings of inadequacy and not deserving stuff and pain and fear and an inability to stop thinking about stuff and refusal to believe I even deserved to be called trans, or a label, thinking I was making it up/attention seeking, etc.

Basically years of crushing doubt and questioning and total fear of change locking me down, refusing to allow me to make any single step.

And I got through that, eventually becoming so fed up and tired that I said "fuck it I have to try something," even though I was terrified and it took me weeks to try that something.

And it turns out I'm a lady (or so close to one that it's the easiest term to use), and have newfound confidence that fuck it I'll figure everything out, no need to label myself when instead I can do stuff and see how the labels fall, and so on.

And I'm also a social group that is often unfortunately visible, obviously queer, something people get thrown out of their houses for, all that nasty stuff.

Since I've been through that super rough thing, where I couldn't even figure myself out, and I'm already queer and so on, what do I have to lose by being bi? I mean, a lot of the negative parts already apply to me - I'm already queer, would've been kicked out for being trans if I was going to for being bi, and so on. There's no stakes here. And I've already dealt with figuring myself out - my intrinsic self, where no one can guide me but me, I had to be my own spirit guide, figure every single thing out myself before I even began to know who I was. Where my central identity was totally unknown to me, as compared to who I'm attracted to, which is just kind of... flavoring on top of the my core identity.

After all that, I just can't get worked up over who I'm attracted to. If it's dudes that's great, ladies that's great, both that's great, neither that's... weird, but sure, anything else, wohoo. It's so mundane to me after the maelstrom of confusion and doubt that I went through for years.

So that's what I meant. I guess you could say I'm questioning my sexuality, but that implies I'm actively asking questions. I'm not. Whatever happens happens and I'm ok with that. The outcome is eh, I'll deal with it if it comes up later. It's boring because I don't feel at all invested in it.

Which I recognize is kind of weird now that I read it. But it's just an aspect of myself that I'm kind of super easygoing with. "Oh no I kind of have a crush on a dude" elicits an "eh, that's interesting" the same way it would if it were a lady. I skipped the step where I care about liking people of non-lady gender or grapple with it.

But I mean I also consider transition mundane, along with the rest of my life, so maybe I am not normal in this opinion.
    Abercrombie & Fitch are douchebags

more at 11
    :(
    biden%20sig.png
    I'll be honest, I stopped watching the Vitamin D video 30 seconds or so in.

It's always some 60 yr old dude who thinks somehow he found the secret to health and either nobody else figured it out or they're in cahoots with BIG PHARMA to HIDE THE TRUTH!
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    shivahn you've been question your sexuality in a measured way for months now

it doesn't count
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    Mazzy, I checked and saw that komachi actually comes up in my dictionary as meaning "local beauty"

Add it to the list of weird vocabulary, I guess!
    turtlesig.jpg
    Wow, Raven. What a dick.
This discussion has been closed.