Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Ugh. Back to work when all I want to do is sleep.

I think I'm just getting restless. I need to get a new job, date more or move countries I think. It certainly is about that time anyway
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    You fucking people need to sleep more

Jesus christ

Then when is there time 4 video gaem
    CDIOl.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Is that A&F quote for real, or an urban legend like that bit a few years ago about Tommy Hillfingers not wanting black people to buy his clothes?
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Stupid giiirls why do you want flower baths and facials let's just get the package with the longest deep tissue massage you foooools

Or a deep tissue massage for your package :winky:
    vspgsp.jpg
    Richy wrote: »
    Is that A&F quote for real, or an urban legend like that bit a few years ago about Tommy Hillfingers not wanting black people to buy his clothes?

Was posted on tabloid blog

Must be true
    vspgsp.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    I kind of put that in the same pile as me not having watched Braveheart in years despite really liking the movie.

Once I learned the man behind it was a massive shitheel, it is kind of hard to enjoy it.

And I do not expect my content creators and CEOs to be saints; fuck holding them to a higher standard than myself... but there are crossable lines that make me lose any desire to consume their products.

Same for Chik Fil A.
    meat.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    sup homps i haz a windows
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    sup homps i haz a windows

It worked? Awesome.
    meat.jpg
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    My entire inbox filled up with Verizon emails because I made so many account and line changes this morning.
    So many emails
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Must be true

Well if you can't trust a tabloid's blog...
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    so the wedding is in 10 days and i still dont have groomsmen gifts figured out.

i keep coming back to a pocket knife but you always get those as groomsmen gifts. maybe something non-standard like an auto-opener (switchblade)?
    919UOwT.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    936343_10151509625769213_762136414_n.png

someone I know who is a musician just posted this:
    NEW DRESS CODE:

If you attend a show at which Morrison's Prophecy is appearing and are wearing Abercrombe and Fitch merchandise, your money will be refunded and you will be asked to leave.

Likewise, if you ask for a photo with me, I will only agree to do so if you are not wearing A&F. This is not a "goth" thing. This is because A&F propagate body issues among teenagers and i REFUSE to be even peripherally associated with them.
    Okay - I really like my cargo shorts from them... but I think it is high time to fucking retire them and find a company that doesn't make my skin fucking crawl.

Are you afraid of being discriminated against by a small minded exclusionary goth band that much?

Its the first part a lot more than the second part. It is a company that is propagating the caste issues of teenage social life to an extent that is kind of disgusting. I don't want them to make clothes they dont want to make, thats beside the point. But the REASON they dont want to make them (people like that arent cool and we only want cool people in our store) makes me want to beat his face in with a tire iron, not wear something his company made.

I would love to see a breakdown of the actual sales impact of this kind of hyper-polarizing, almost trollish marketing. I feel like this could almost make sense. Obviously no sane person agrees with this guy -- or won't openly say so -- but then you'll get people who 'just like the clothes,' but will tacitly accept the "brand" of cool-kid clothes as something of an added bonus that they just don't talk about.

Bottom-line: I don't think he's gonna sell fewer polos or cargo shorts because of this statement (because people who already actively avoid A&F for their image will only continue to not-shop there), but there's a chance he could sell more. Overall, consumer-side influence over these kinds of non-material issues isn't very strong in the U.S., afaik. On the other hand, JCPenney tried to mess with the material side of their brand image, and it burned them pretty badly.
    See, I don't think this is a statement he expected to end up in print, or widely flung around the internet. This wasn't PR crafted; probably just something he said off the cuff in response to a question about why they don't make plus-sized clothing.

And it revealed him to be a shithead that I don't want to financially support, or even appear to endorse.

My sister used to work at the A&F in the mall briefly last year. I also got approached by a recruiter at college to be a "model" (because their employees aren't salespeople, they're "models," which allows them to not pay commission) and I was like "Um, I'm about to graduate, I'm not going to work retail for your stupid store"

"Oh that's ok, here's the info for our managerial program!" she said cheerfully as I gagged internally. I told my sister, and she was like no no no regional managers at A&F basically come by the stores once a month, walk through it, and be like "Give that person less hours or put them in the back, he/she's too ugly."

Once they took a group photo of all the workers to send to corporate. They wanted it to look diverse and sexy. But they had to go to the Hollister and pull out the black guy working there to make that happen (black guy and my brown sister were the only nonwhite people in the picture). But nay! Not good enough, they didn't like it. So they replaced the black guy with a gay guy (indicated by his salmon cargo shorts--so gay guys!). And finally, they photoshopped the picture so that my sister's thighs look the same width as her calves, because no fatties (fyi my sister is tall and athletic and not even close to anything resembling large)

She also said A&F is where she met the dumbest pretty people she's ever known
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

i keep coming back to a pocket knife but you always get those as groomsmen gifts. maybe something non-standard like an auto-opener (switchblade)?

I got my groomsmen cool tankards and we drank from them at the reception
  • cptruggedcptrugged Buster Machine 3Registered User regular
    I do think that this adventure is going to up my prep time a bit. I think I'm gonna do something silly like a power point map with animated line set to the Indiana Jones theme as the party crosses the arctic. Possibly using the interrupt fight encounter music from Final Fantasy 6 whenever they have an encounter.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Oh god
    Todays whomp
    So good
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Oh man I got really high last night

I'm still sooooooooo relaxed

maybe a little too relaxed
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    I appear to have been a dick in my H/A post in the creepy dude asking out a waitress thread. I have no regrets I guess.
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I got my groomsmen cool tankards and we drank from them at the reception

That actually sounds super fucking awesome.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
    edited May 2013

your wedding? Gooby's marriage? Your wedding??

DON'T DO IT
    gooby+gat+merryd.+It+s+been+awhile+since+I+ve+posted+one_df0f9a_4074430.jpg

EDIT: FAK U FUNNYJUNK
    Hakkekage on
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    gif responses are pretty great.

@ludious did you figure out your images thing with that artist? I only ask because there's a ton of artists in the artist forums that would probably work on commission and you'd love their stuff. Iruka and nightdragon in particular come to mind.

Actually, I basically told them yesterday that they were so far off base that if they didn't come up without something soon and actually listen to my needs, I was going to drop them.

Suddenly they had all the time in the world and I am actually digging their new logos. We're getting close. I am going to be honest. I went with this person because their other stuff was good and they were cheap (like a hundo for everything cheap)
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    936343_10151509625769213_762136414_n.png

someone I know who is a musician just posted this:
    NEW DRESS CODE:

If you attend a show at which Morrison's Prophecy is appearing and are wearing Abercrombe and Fitch merchandise, your money will be refunded and you will be asked to leave.

Likewise, if you ask for a photo with me, I will only agree to do so if you are not wearing A&F. This is not a "goth" thing. This is because A&F propagate body issues among teenagers and i REFUSE to be even peripherally associated with them.
    Okay - I really like my cargo shorts from them... but I think it is high time to fucking retire them and find a company that doesn't make my skin fucking crawl.

Are you afraid of being discriminated against by a small minded exclusionary goth band that much?

Its the first part a lot more than the second part. It is a company that is propagating the caste issues of teenage social life to an extent that is kind of disgusting. I don't want them to make clothes they dont want to make, thats beside the point. But the REASON they dont want to make them (people like that arent cool and we only want cool people in our store) makes me want to beat his face in with a tire iron, not wear something his company made.

I would love to see a breakdown of the actual sales impact of this kind of hyper-polarizing, almost trollish marketing. I feel like this could almost make sense. Obviously no sane person agrees with this guy -- or won't openly say so -- but then you'll get people who 'just like the clothes,' but will tacitly accept the "brand" of cool-kid clothes as something of an added bonus that they just don't talk about.

Bottom-line: I don't think he's gonna sell fewer polos or cargo shorts because of this statement (because people who already actively avoid A&F for their image will only continue to not-shop there), but there's a chance he could sell more. Overall, consumer-side influence over these kinds of non-material issues isn't very strong in the U.S., afaik. On the other hand, JCPenney tried to mess with the material side of their brand image, and it burned them pretty badly.
    See, I don't think this is a statement he expected to end up in print, or widely flung around the internet. This wasn't PR crafted; probably just something he said off the cuff in response to a question about why they don't make plus-sized clothing.

And it revealed him to be a shithead that I don't want to financially support, or even appear to endorse.

"Oh that's ok, here's the info for our managerial program!" she said cheerfully as I gagged internally. I told my sister, and she was like no no no regional managers at A&F basically come by the stores once a month, walk through it, and be like "Give that person less hours or put them in the back, he/she's too ugly."

This gives me the impression that their back room is just packed full of ugly people. Like they have to open and close the door slowly or else they'll all start spilling out.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Doesn't everyone just give these:

http://www.leatherman.com/family/multi-tools/Full-size_Tools
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Do people even wear Abercrombie and Fitch?

Isn't it just clothing for white 15 year old boys in Minnesota or something?
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

your wedding? Gooby's marriage? Your wedding??

DON'T DO IT
    gooby+gat+merryd.+It+s+been+awhile+since+I+ve+posted+one_df0f9a_4074430.jpg

I'M NOT GOING TO FUNNYJUNK HAKKS
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

get a really nice gift that costs $500 or so, everyone else gets switchblades

last man standing gets the good gift

last man standing

how patrionormative of you
    Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited May 2013

Must be true

Well, the A&F thing is from an interview with the CEO, that is being referenced in the current news cycle because they restated their opinion that despite the decisions other companies are making, they will keep pushing their current standard.
    "He doesn't want larger people shopping in his store, he wants thin and beautiful people," Lewis told Business Insider. "He doesn't want his core customers to see people who aren't as hot as them wearing his clothing. People who wear his clothing should feel like they're one of the 'cool kids.'"

That quote is from the past week.

Also look at Hakke's post in which they were photoshopping fucking STORE employees to make them look "hotter."
    syndalis on
    meat.jpg
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7646334&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CJHWscTZhrcCFYRM4AodoWUA3Q

It's amazing
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

They dont do flasks in texas?
    cufflinks?
    mont blanc pens?
    You can get engraved Johnny Walker Blue bottles or custom labels for any Johnny Walker
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

i got my guys nice plaque/sign things for their man caves (ie. Joe's Irish Pub for my Irish buddy Joe)
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

They dont do flasks in texas?
    cufflinks?
    mont blanc pens?
    You can get engraved Johnny Walker Blue bottles or custom labels for any Johnny Walker

these are all good ideas
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    gooey just give them da bass
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    edited May 2013

Must be true

Well, the A&F thing is from an interview with the CEO, that is being referenced in the current news cycle because they restated their opinion that despite the decisions other companies are making, they will keep pushing their current standard.
    "He doesn't want larger people shopping in his store, he wants thin and beautiful people," Lewis told Business Insider. "He doesn't want his core customers to see people who aren't as hot as them wearing his clothing. People who wear his clothing should feel like they're one of the 'cool kids.'"

That quote is from the past week.

Also look at Hakke's post in which they were photoshopping fucking STORE employees to make them look "hotter."

While working, my sister was only allowed to wear:

A&F Logo'd shirt
    Short Shorts or Jeggings

i'm srs

she opted for jeggings

so uncomfortable
    Hakkekage on
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1dfEf1qOt4
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I do think that this adventure is going to up my prep time a bit. I think I'm gonna do something silly like a power point map with animated line set to the Indiana Jones theme as the party crosses the arctic. Possibly using the interrupt fight encounter music from Final Fantasy 6 whenever they have an encounter.

the best little side encounter so far has been the cannibals

because that got the party thinking hard about what to do

full disclosure: your caravan is heading through the north pole and you come across a bunch of natives. They appear friendly and you can trade with them and they invite you to camp with them. There's a big party with an emphasis on the cooked meat! The party (probably) chows down, and the chief informs them all that they just ate some human, and they should all join their tribe of cannibals. How does the party respond?
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Do people even wear Abercrombie and Fitch?

Isn't it just clothing for white 15 year old boys in Minnesota or something?

Come now. It's way too cold for that shit in Minnesota half the time.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    lol the subway station i got out of had multiple inches of water just sitting at the staircases ... they need better drainage
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Man, I still can't get over this Congressman Sanford thing.
This discussion has been closed.