Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Hard work doesn't have any inherent value. Getting shit done has value and getting shit done may be accomplished through less than hard work.

Ehh, I think there is an inherent value in needing to strive toward a goal. Things seem to be less valuable if they come easily.

Hasn't the Weberian "Protestant Work Ethic" been discredited?
    network_sig2.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    feral is so aroused by naked lesbian bus sex that he had to post it twice

Aren't you? I am.

Yeah seriously
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    i need to poop but im in the zone right now so im clenching and forcing that shit back where it came from
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    also mitt romney is a huge douchebag

even seeing pictures of him still kind of makes me mad
    Irond Will wrote: »

Who?
    network_sig2.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You can place value on hard work without subscribing to the peculiar idea that those who don't have enough to exist simply aren't working hard enough.

Which is what the protestant work ethic has come to mean in this country.

For the third or fourth fucking time.
    AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

i can picture you, Will, just holding a picture of Mitt Romney in one hand, growling at it...
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    i need to poop but im in the zone right now so im clenching and forcing that shit back where it came from

You will live to regret this!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The up-front cost of buying a used 'luxury' vehicle, especially the cheaper models, is pretty small. When I was younger I was always like woah, I can get a BMW for like 8k? So people who don't think it through buy them and then the maintenance and other stuff fucks them.

Or they're drug dealers.

It's once they're no longer new enough to be worthwhile status symbols that their value drops through the floor.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

hard poops make you free
    Lh96QHG.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    I've lived in central London so long I'm rather messed up so ar as cars goes. No one I know own cars and the cars I see every day are Bentleys and shit
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    totally gonna wake up early tomorrow to study

not gonna stress vomit at all

yeah
    Man one-third of my Awesomes are from Geth.

Awesome welfare.
    network_sig2.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    humblebrag is one of the better terms to be coined on the internet

I also like insulplements.

Like, "wow, that dress looks great on you; it makes your ass look less huge and really lifts those boobs up."

That one, sadly, is pre Internet. Negs are like in the reptilian part of the brain, and done for as long as we've spoken/politics/romanced.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    this guy is one of my favorite posters on Gamasutra. Very smart dude. His area of expertise is virtual economies. He made an interesting comment in a gamasutra article about the recent Diablo 3 economic meltdown: he predicted exactly what was going to happen with the Real Money Auction House 6 months before D3 shipped.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    humblebrag is one of the better terms to be coined on the internet

I also like insulplements.

Like, "wow, that dress looks great on you; it makes your ass look less huge and really lifts those boobs up."

That one, sadly, is pre Internet. Negs are like in the reptilian part of the brain, and done for as long as we've spoken/politics/romanced.

I'm sorry you feel that way.
    h1DI1.jpg
    Also, I can give a lot of good advice about buying cars, especially used. Autos auctions4l. I'm so jealous of the way you Brits have it. I'm pretty jealous of just about everything in Canada/Britain. I would live like a king if I wasn't lazy and had some courage to be an expat.

How do we brits have it?
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSd0keSj2W8

This is actually kind of neat - I am surprised to see that they use all the same ingredients when making the commercial shoot food.
    meat.jpg
    Shivahn wrote: »

You will live to regret this!

I sure hope I do!
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    this guy is one of my favorite posters on Gamasutra. Very smart dude. His area of expertise is virtual economies. He made an interesting comment in a gamasutra article about the recent Diablo 3 economic meltdown: he predicted exactly what was going to happen with the Real Money Auction House 6 months before D3 shipped.

kinda tl;dr

what happened to the rmah?
    japan wrote: »
    Also, I can give a lot of good advice about buying cars, especially used. Autos auctions4l. I'm so jealous of the way you Brits have it. I'm pretty jealous of just about everything in Canada/Britain. I would live like a king if I wasn't lazy and had some courage to be an expat.

How do we brits have it?

Ladbrokes, auto-auctions without a license, and very nice banking terms in Isle of Man, Ireland.
    oh btw @shivahn and whoever else was discussing that MRI-coitus paper

i had the most amazing sex with my wife last night and in the heat of the moment i couldn't stop thinking about how my dick totally looks like a boomerang right now
    I think your tracks have lower vig too, but can't remember. I know that gambling winnings aren't taxed at all either, which would drastically increase my bottom line.
    Tav wrote: »

kinda tl;dr

Blizzard just recently released a patch with a stupid buffer overflow that let people easily duplicate gold. And I mean billions of gold. Hundreds of billions. Which then was used to buy everything for sale on the gold AH (and making gold essentially worthless once people realized what was happening and started pulling down their auctions) and put it into the real money AH totally flooding it.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Hey chat, we talking about boomerang dicks? Do tell.

Also I just woke up from a nap for which I did not set an alarm for. I have to go take a final in half an hour, it would have been only too easy to sleep through it on this cozy rainy day. D:
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular

kinda tl;dr

People figured out how to dupe gold like crazy, bought everything off the gold auction house and proceeded to put it up for sale on the RMAH, completely wrecking the in-game economy.
    h1DI1.jpg

kinda tl;dr

Blizzard just recently released a patch with a stupid buffer overflow that let people easily duplicate gold. And I mean billions of gold. Hundreds of billions. Which then was used to buy everything for sale on the gold AH (and making gold essentially worthless once people realized what was happening and started pulling down their auctions) and put it into the real money AH totally flooding it.

Blizzard really fucked themselves with it, and not having PvP with the RMAH kinda was shooting themselves in the foot. They, obviously, lacked vision for the economics, and didn't plan it with some of the newer f2p models as guides. They really coulda had a valuable asset there, even moreso than Starcraft.

This is actually kind of neat - I am surprised to see that they use all the same ingredients when making the commercial shoot food.

IIRC, they have to use the exact same ingredients in Canada because of advertizing laws.

Basically, it's illegal to use different ingredients than the ones used in a recipe when taking pictures for ads. i've no idea how policed this actually is.

How do we brits have it?

Ladbrokes, auto-auctions without a license, and very nice banking terms in Isle of Man, Ireland.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen Ladbrokes referred to in a positive way. Though they're considerably less dingy now that they're non-smoking and allowed to have windows
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    The cats are starting to warm up to me :3

soon I will EAT THEIR EARS
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    oh btw shivahn and whoever else was discussing that MRI-coitus paper

i had the most amazing sex with my wife last night and in the heat of the moment i couldn't stop thinking about how my dick totally looks like a boomerang right now

that's why i call mine the Bangarang
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular

IIRC, they have to use the exact same ingredients in Canada because of advertizing laws.

Basically, it's illegal to use different ingredients than the ones used in a recipe when taking pictures for ads. i've no idea how policed this actually is.

Either way, did you see the final picture? Why would you use fake food if you can create something that perfect with the real stuff?
    meat.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Man, Microsoft embedded a WiFi router that gives you 15 free days of TMobile data service in a special edition of Forbes and gave it to a select group of people.

I want oooone.
    Hey chat, we talking about boomerang dicks? Do tell.

Also I just woke up from a nap for which I did not set an alarm for. I have to go take a final in half an hour, it would have been only too easy to sleep through it on this cozy rainy day. D:

My girlfriend loves to talk about how my dicks shape has changed so much, and is shaped like her vagina now. I e member when I first started having sex regularily, and it lost the curve to the left (yea, I'm a lefty) to a more esoteric sway.

Either way, did you see the final picture? Why would you use fake food if you can create something that perfect with the real stuff?

Because fake food is less finicky, so using fake food can lead to quicker results. plus, they could enlarge the patty and such, to make it look like you're getting a better deal than you really are.
    http://www.thelmagazine.com/newyork/9-brooklyn-bartenders-talk-booze/Content?oid=2312750&showFullText=true

apparently the most annoying/least fav drink for many of these bartenders to make is a LI iced tea

understandable

lols drankz

@deebaser @syndalis

I always figured the mohito would be the most hated because of all the mint grinding / crushing.
    meat.jpg

kinda tl;dr

Blizzard really fucked themselves with it, and not having PvP with the RMAH kinda was shooting themselves in the foot. They, obviously, lacked vision for the economics, and didn't plan it with some of the newer f2p models as guides. They really coulda had a valuable asset there, even moreso than Starcraft.

I don't think there is any possible way to have a game with a RMAH that is as good for the customer as one without. It is an inherently toxic addition to any game.
    edited May 2013

How do we brits have it?

I think this is the first time I've ever seen Ladbrokes referred to in a positive way. Though they're considerably less dingy now that they're non-smoking and allowed to have windows

I'd just use them for the online. I miss online poker in the worst way, and I was cheated out of a fortune; I still beat it, and lived off primarily for 8 years.
    MadCaddy on
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Homemade chicken broth is just about the most delicious fucking thing in the world.
This discussion has been closed.