Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    I still don't own an HDTV.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    I love Wal-Mart's yearly raises: a mandatory .25/hour raise every year. Yeah.

Even the dud employees get a raise?
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Are the PA guys multimillionaires? They must be by now, right?

I dunno about millionaires.

But at least one of them drives a Mercedes, so, y'know...

Which model? And statements like these are so funny.

I have no idea -- I just saw the interior of I think Mike's car in one of the PATV episodes. I'm not implying the dude is $texas loaded, but if he's driving that either he or his wife is doing relatively well. Which is great, more power to 'em.

What's funny about that statement?

I'd get infracted for the slang it makes me think of. N-word rich. And I have a Mercedes that is a monstrous negative as an asset ATm thanks to headaches from my family, so judging how someone does by what they drie (outside of true super cars) is just a class thing.

So driving a relatively expensive car is not at all related to socioeconomic status or means?

(That's not a normative statement.)

EDIT: I'm not saying everyone who drives a Mercedes is somehow super-duper loaded, but it is a relatively high-end car.

You just aren't taking enough of the cost of a car into consideration. Think of cost to repair, premium fuel, etc. etc and you're not specifying the condition of the vehicle...

So the long and th short of it is that it's just dumb to judge people by what they drive/how they look, and that's why I find statements like that funny.

I'm not following your logic here. You're suggesting that if someone has a recent, high-end car, it isn't reasonable to assume a lower bound on their income?

I mean, there are exceptions: it could be a rental, they could be a salesman taking a demonstrator home from work, etc. but in the main a person with a recent merc is going to be reasonably well-off.

You're giving more information, and the relative worth of cars is much closer than most people realize. You can get a Mercedes for less than some civics for instance, andor you don't care about gas and want cheap parts/financing buy a used ought a American car. It's just another form of bias is all I'm saying. Yes. If they're driving a 2012 cl-550 it's safe to assume they're doing alright, but if that car even slides back to just an 06 that statement is much less clear cut, and you have to take the lifestyle demands for the individual. They cold be losing money by having the car.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Man I'm really, really, really happy with my life right now

But my mom is pushing me to like, go to school full time and ask my bosses for a raise and all this shit

And I'm like 'n-no? I like my life?'

but she doesn't listen :(

Good news! She doesn't have to. Your response can be any gradient of polite smile-n-nod or whatever suits you!

Text her "nah that's cool bro" while you're pooping!
    eokNV.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Q. Peeing Tom: My wife and I were in the shower together and I peed into the drain. She was disgusted, even after I explained that urine is sterile so it can't be that unhygienic. She said it is psychologically disturbing to know that I pee where she washes herself, even if there are no lingering germs. She made me promise not to do it again, but I can't help it. I've started peeing in the shower in secret, even as my wife bangs on the door to conduct random checks and remind me how disgusted she would be if I peed. I have never lied to her about anything before so I feel guilty telling her I didn't pee when I actually did?

I don't know why but this advice column question makes me giggle
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    i dont know if a position that basically states "there is value in hard work" necessarily leads one to conclude that "people are poor because they don't work hard enough"

although i can very easily see how it can be used to reinforced pre-existing judgements on the poor

It also makes it easy to keep people at their social or economic level, while enriching the already-in-power. You're not rich? You must not be working hard enough, so work harder. Still not rich? Keep working harder. Look, I'm going to have to fire you unless you start working harder, because if you were working hard enough you'd be rich by now and you're not, so obviously this is some personal failing on your part.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    i'm not really sure that i agree with conflating tax credits with public assistance outlays?

the distinction is not completely obvious to me, i guess.

though it's worth mentioning that tax credits are generally in place to incentivize certain behaviors, which is something that is (sometimes) grumbled about when this is done with public assistance outlays.

it's not the purpose of welfare to incentivize behaviors. the purpose is to keep people from starving in the streets.

there's nothing intrinsically wrong with using public funds to incentivize behaviors IMO. that's what, for example, Medicare is doing right now with electronic medical records adoption.

the problem is that when you start applying incentives to welfare, they don't work, because they're based on a fallacious notion that a substantial percentage of the poor are poor because they have insufficient incentive to be not-poor

so you just end making peoples' lives more difficult for no good benefit

i don't think that social engineering has to be solely about incentives. some of it is just structuring systems in order to help people either make good decisions or educate them about the benefits of good decisions.

for instance, i am a big fan of public schools. we force parents to send their kids to school one way or another.

if, instead of this, we just gave every parent $6000 cash money per kid every year and hoped they'd take care of it, i suspect we would be a worse country in short order.

maybe i'm wrong! maybe all the poor need is money from the public coffers with no strings attached. but i'm dubious.

I mean, schooling and food are entirely different issues, and aside from couscous I don't think anyone is saying "just give them money, who cares".

That was more or less my position with regards to food stamps.

I don't think that should necessarily be applied to education or medical care or all public services.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Q. Peeing Tom: My wife and I were in the shower together and I peed into the drain. She was disgusted, even after I explained that urine is sterile so it can't be that unhygienic. She said it is psychologically disturbing to know that I pee where she washes herself, even if there are no lingering germs. She made me promise not to do it again, but I can't help it. I've started peeing in the shower in secret, even as my wife bangs on the door to conduct random checks and remind me how disgusted she would be if I peed. I have never lied to her about anything before so I feel guilty telling her I didn't pee when I actually did?

I don't know why but this advice column question makes me giggle

I thought everyone pissed in the shower and then tried to kick the yellow towards the drain.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool why is it so hot

explain yourself

you know what forget it I'll be at my mothers

*slams door*

:(

I- I'm sorry!

I didn't mean for the cold fronts to stop, I swear!
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    Mortious wrote: »

I have no idea -- I just saw the interior of I think Mike's car in one of the PATV episodes. I'm not implying the dude is $texas loaded, but if he's driving that either he or his wife is doing relatively well. Which is great, more power to 'em.

I'd get infracted for the slang it makes me think of. N-word rich. And I have a Mercedes that is a monstrous negative as an asset ATm thanks to headaches from my family, so judging how someone does by what they drie (outside of true super cars) is just a class thing.

So driving a relatively expensive car is not at all related to socioeconomic status or means?

EDIT: I'm not saying everyone who drives a Mercedes is somehow super-duper loaded, but it is a relatively high-end car.

You just aren't taking enough of the cost of a car into consideration. Think of cost to repair, premium fuel, etc. etc and you're not specifying the condition of the vehicle...

So the long and th short of it is that it's just dumb to judge people by what they drive/how they look, and that's why I find statements like that funny.

How does the car being more expensive due to hidden costs make it any less of a high-end car, which presumably mostly people with higher incomes could afford ...?

Mercs have a much lower maintenance cost for at least the first decade of their life than other cars (unless this is also a lolSouth Africa specific thing)

It is. Mercedes at dealership repairs are quite expensive, I can assure you all.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I like how it's pretty much just welfare for the poor that has universal public outrage about how the recipients spend it

Don't hear any republicans whine about what GE does with their multi billion dollar check for having enough tax accountants to check all the "free money" boxes

Protestant Work Ethic

i don't think the "protestant work ethic" is quite as one-sided or dark as you do.

it's basically the belief that it's moral to work hard, it's moral to do one's best to be self-sufficient, and that it's moral to contribute to society

there are plenty of negative attitudes that sometimes emerge as corollaries to this ethic

but it's not a terrible thing in and of itself

Idk, I've really only ever seen it used as a tool to other people that a certain segment of society has decided aren't hard enough workers.

You can think that working hard is a good idea and that taking care of yourself is a good thing without ascribing to the very poisonous attitudes which have grown up from protestant work ethic in this country.

And, again, I am talking about the actual real world application of these ideas, not some philosophical discussion or hypothetical pondering.

i guess i've known people who work for the sake of work - even when they're not getting paid - because they believed that it was a moral thing to do.

not all of them were protestant, of course - if the term means anything these days it's enmeshed in the american zeitgeist rather than consigned to the descendants of puritans. some of them were people who i really disagreed with politically, but i admired their work ethic and their drive to contribute. some of them were rich and some were poor.

i agree with you that the attitudes you describe are awful and poisonous. i just don't see them as necessary or inevitable outgrowths of the work ethic.

What part of what I said makes you think I haven't known people who work hard for teh sake of working hard?

Hell, I have basically been doing the job of my supervisor because no one else has and I make 200 bucks a week.

I am saying that in America, the protestant work ethic, as a term, has led to some pretty awful shit.

Basically since the first pilgrim landed at plymouth rock.

And it was doing some horrendous stuff in England before that.

Like, I am not just throwing these things out into a vacuum. I am talking about actual stuff. The Republican view toward poor people, which really is pretty pervasive among Democrats as well, comes out of this.

Because if they worked hard or weren't stupid then they wouldn't be poor. That is where it comes from in this country. It's all of the elect/ not of the elect bs all over again.

yeah i didn't mean to imply that you don't know hard-working people.

just that i admire people with a strong work ethic and haven't really noticed a correlation between people who what what i'd consider a "strong work ethic" and people who are contemptuous of the poor.

kind of the opposite, probably.

maybe you're right that negative attitudes towards the poor are outgrowths of the american work ethic. i don't really know.

it seems like plenty of other countries that we don't share much historical/ cultural overlap with have pretty awful attitudes to their poor as well.
    i dont know if a position that basically states "there is value in hard work" necessarily leads one to conclude that "people are poor because they don't work hard enough"

although i can very easily see how it can be used to reinforced pre-existing judgements on the poor

JkKQitn.jpg

Which is what I'm talking about. What it has been used to do in this country over the last couple centuries.

It's a thing.

Here's another thing...

The assault on this idea is broad-based in nature and thus destructive to placing value on hard work. I mean, you do agree that hard work has value, right?
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tell me the car and I can tell you it's relative worth. You aren't using enough information to form an opinion and are relyimg on a heuristic instead of critical thinking.

...Alright man. This discussion isn't really going anywhere, so I'll just stop replying. I remain unconvinced that driving a relatively expensive automobile -- while obviously not in itself an indicator of higher-than-average SES -- is in most cases tied to a higher income. I get your 'don't judge a book by its cover' argument, and don't disagree that there are definitely people out there driving cars you wouldn't expect them to given their actual household income... but I doubt those people are anything but statistical outliers.

You messed up the quote/quoter there.

But to respond, I think you can judge their relative networth based on the car they drive, however it is a pretty wide band. e.g. Homeless -> Poor -> "Middle Class" -> Rich

Trying to judge whether someone's networth is 200k or 2mil can't be done based purely on the car. (which is what I believe started this conversation?)
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I love Wal-Mart's yearly raises: a mandatory .25/hour raise every year. Yeah.

Even the dud employees get a raise?

Yes. Once a year. It may be even less that .25/hour.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    spool why is it so hot

explain yourself

*slams door*

I- I'm sorry!

IN PORTLAND
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

How does the car being more expensive due to hidden costs make it any less of a high-end car, which presumably mostly people with higher incomes could afford ...?

Mercs have a much lower maintenance cost for at least the first decade of their life than other cars (unless this is also a lolSouth Africa specific thing)

It is. Mercedes at dealership repairs are quite expensive, I can assure you all.

was this whole thing just a really elaborate humble brag
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Hard work doesn't have any inherent value. Getting shit done has value and getting shit done may be accomplished through less than hard work.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    I had Tie Fighter Collector's Edition on CD-ROM
    It was such an awesome game.
    Harkin trying to jump to light speed while cloaked haunted my dreams.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    i'm not really sure that i agree with conflating tax credits with public assistance outlays?

the distinction is not completely obvious to me, i guess.

though it's worth mentioning that tax credits are generally in place to incentivize certain behaviors, which is something that is (sometimes) grumbled about when this is done with public assistance outlays.

it's not the purpose of welfare to incentivize behaviors. the purpose is to keep people from starving in the streets.

there's nothing intrinsically wrong with using public funds to incentivize behaviors IMO. that's what, for example, Medicare is doing right now with electronic medical records adoption.

the problem is that when you start applying incentives to welfare, they don't work, because they're based on a fallacious notion that a substantial percentage of the poor are poor because they have insufficient incentive to be not-poor

so you just end making peoples' lives more difficult for no good benefit

i don't think that social engineering has to be solely about incentives. some of it is just structuring systems in order to help people either make good decisions or educate them about the benefits of good decisions.

for instance, i am a big fan of public schools. we force parents to send their kids to school one way or another.

if, instead of this, we just gave every parent $6000 cash money per kid every year and hoped they'd take care of it, i suspect we would be a worse country in short order.

maybe i'm wrong! maybe all the poor need is money from the public coffers with no strings attached. but i'm dubious.

I mean, schooling and food are entirely different issues, and aside from couscous I don't think anyone is saying "just give them money, who cares".

it was feral who said that. that's what i was responding to just there.

i agree that they're totally different things.

i don't really accept that it's wrong for public assistance to have social engineering elements though.
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    VjzMSVl.jpg
    "Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents, and be happy."
    jBEKRTH.png
    i buy a bus pass so i get unlimited transit travel for the month aw yeah #fivefigureballer

i also have a pussy pass so i get unlimited lesbian sex for the month
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Tell me the car and I can tell you it's relative worth. You aren't using enough information to form an opinion and are relyimg on a heuristic instead of critical thinking.

...Alright man. This discussion isn't really going anywhere, so I'll just stop replying. I remain unconvinced that driving a relatively expensive automobile -- while obviously not in itself an indicator of higher-than-average SES -- is in most cases tied to a higher income. I get your 'don't judge a book by its cover' argument, and don't disagree that there are definitely people out there driving cars you wouldn't expect them to given their actual household income... but I doubt those people are anything but statistical outliers.

You messed up the quote/quoter there.

But to respond, I think you can judge their relative networth based on the car they drive, however it is a pretty wide band. e.g. Homeless -> Poor -> "Middle Class" -> Rich

Trying to judge whether someone's networth is 200k or 2mil can't be done based purely on the car. (which is what I believe started this conversation?)

(Sorry about the quote thing.)

To be clear: I was not remotely suggesting Mike or Jerry were in the 7-figure range. I mean, I'm sure there are people out there who definitely wish a webcomic could net you a million dollar-plus salary...

(This is a weird conversation.)
    network_sig2.png

GUYS MY LARGE PILE OF EXPRNSIVE VINTAGE GAMES IS GETTING TOO LARGE! IT SUCKS HAVING TO STORE ALL THESE AWESOME EXPENSIVE VIDEO GAMES
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    humblebrag is one of the better terms to be coined on the internet
    Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    i buy a bus pass so i get unlimited transit travel for the month aw yeah #fivefigureballer

but only while riding the bus

and you have to sit on the bus seat naked

just rub your naked butt allllllll over that bus seat
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death

but only while riding the bus

and you have to sit on the bus seat naked

just rub your naked butt allllllll over that bus seat
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The trick to working hard is that the day goes by a lot faster if you're doing something!

Also that I will straight up attack you if you're just standing around and don't even have the good grace to disguise it as a "smoke break".

You don't even smoke.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    humblebrag is one of the better terms to be coined on the internet

I also like insulplements.

Like, "wow, that dress looks great on you; it makes your ass look less huge and really lifts those boobs up."
    meat.jpg
    feral is so aroused by naked lesbian bus sex that he had to post it twice

when you have sex on the bus, you're also having sex with everybody that bus has had sex with

or something
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    The up-front cost of buying a used 'luxury' vehicle, especially the cheaper models, is pretty small. When I was younger I was always like woah, I can get a BMW for like 8k? So people who don't think it through buy them and then the maintenance and other stuff fucks them.

Or they're drug dealers.

Aren't you? I am.

Muhahahahahaha

Although see the part about my car sitting in my driveway because of bullshit too consulted and ridiculous to go into, but is cost me far more, even now when I don't use it. Even the parking space being empty would be worth a few hundred to me, but I can't do anything because its my Dads and he's stiffed me with it over bs. I could get it towed, but that's cutting my nose to spite my face.

I was just trying to point out that it's possible for what appears to be an asset could be a liability.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

when you have sex on the bus, you're also having sex with everybody that bus has had sex with

or something

Large vehicles lead complicated, deep-ass lives man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTYXgHTzvz0
    network_sig2.png

or something

the idea of a vehicle having sex with people might add a whole new meaning to 'helicopter parent'
    spool32 wrote: »
    spool why is it so hot

explain yourself

*slams door*

I- I'm sorry!

IN PORTLAND

OHHHH

well, it's a message that you shouldn't move there. :P
    edited May 2013
    Also, I can give a lot of good advice about buying cars, especially used. Autos auctions4l. I'm so jealous of the way you Brits have it. I'm pretty jealous of just about everything in Canada/Britain. I would live like a king if I wasn't lazy and had some courage to be an expat.
    MadCaddy on
    Couscous wrote: »
    Hard work doesn't have any inherent value. Getting shit done has value and getting shit done may be accomplished through less than hard work.

Ehh, I think there is an inherent value in needing to strive toward a goal. Things seem to be less valuable if they come easily.
    edited May 2013
    Btw, just so you all know, I have been homeless and everything I've ever had came from $50 I borrowed, so obviously outlier bs.

There's your humble brag skippy. ;)
    MadCaddy on
This discussion has been closed.