Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Are the PA guys multimillionaires? They must be by now, right?

I dunno about millionaires.

But at least one of them drives a Mercedes, so, y'know...

Which model? And statements like these are so funny.

I have no idea -- I just saw the interior of I think Mike's car in one of the PATV episodes. I'm not implying the dude is $texas loaded, but if he's driving that either he or his wife is doing relatively well. Which is great, more power to 'em.

What's funny about that statement?

I'd get infracted for the slang it makes me think of. N-word rich. And I have a Mercedes that is a monstrous negative as an asset ATm thanks to headaches from my family, so judging how someone does by what they drie (outside of true super cars) is just a class thing.

So driving a relatively expensive car is not at all related to socioeconomic status or means?

(That's not a normative statement.)

EDIT: I'm not saying everyone who drives a Mercedes is somehow super-duper loaded, but it is a relatively high-end car.
    Hamurabi on
    network_sig2.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Odds are if you saw naked women being led on leashes in your neighbors backyard you'd know something was up.

"Hey, Craig, Sharon. Home early from work today?"
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Also the government didn't pay you anything. It let you keep $1000 more of what you make, because it knows you're going to use that to generate even more tax revenue by raising another taxable subject.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Really, any compulsive gambler could do the same thing. Spend the food stamps on some high value items then sell it for less than it is worth. It wouldn't be rational but we are already assuming that they are about as irrational as possible.

You'd skip the 'buying food' step and sell your card to the shady guy hanging out behind the gas station. $100 worth of food stamps for $50 in cash.

this is apparently a big enough deal the legislature had to devote quite a bit of time to it and made it a priority

I don't think its actually very common, meanwhile the government's economic development board straight up lost like ten million dollars or something

It's $72 billion a year. It's 1 in 7 Americans. Of course there's fraud involved. There's fraud anchored to any program involving numbers that big.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    boobs
    boobs boobs
    you cant buy boobs with food stamps
    at least not good ones.
    dicks on the other hand.
    you can buy dicks all day
    but most of them are spotted.

If you don't swing that way, how about a horlick?

http://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/923080_10151592179336967_1832233282_n.jpg

Too many horlicks and you might catch an STD

and then you'd have explain your spotted dick to your wife
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Oh one last thing. Slenderman isn't scary because whenever I see him/it the first thing I think of is jack skellington and jack is awesome and lovable not scary.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    so this kidnapping thing in cleveland is basically the most depressing thing i've ever heard ever

Dude after that shit in Europe nothing surprises me now.

There are houses full of horrors yet unfound due to not enough evidence or unobservant neighbors or who knows why.

Right now! In every state!

shit in europe? do i want to know?

It was basically this but instead is was a husband who built a whole dungeon beneath his house and a wife who kept the secret.

okay

thats it

time to pull the plug

lets burn this place down
    919UOwT.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I can only attempt Gradius III Arcade difficulty once every couple hours or I get too frustrated.

I love Gradius so much. Did you ever play Sidearms? The old Gradius clone that was actually pretty good?
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Also the government didn't pay you anything. It let you keep $1000 more of what you make, because it knows you're going to use that to generate even more tax revenue by raising another taxable subject.

no, its a credit

I paid in 800 more than I should and got 1800 back
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Wouldn't an alcoholic just trade the shit he bought with food stamps for some booze?

Yeah, that would be fraud. His SNAP benefits would be terminated.

Only if he is caught. And if we are assuming alcoholics who are almost completely irrational in their spending, they would try it anyway, resulting in the same shit as just giving them cash.

"Some people will break the law, so there's no point having one" is not a compelling argument.

If it doesn't do anything to stop the behavior that it is designed to stop, it is kind of a worthless law.

It does stop behavior it is designed to stop. It doesn't stop criminals from criminaling.

The Venn diagram of desperate alcoholics and criminals is probably almost a perfect circle.

Yeah, but it doesn't include the idiots that would spend their food stamp provided budget on booze if it were totes legal.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Really, any compulsive gambler could do the same thing. Spend the food stamps on some high value items then sell it for less than it is worth. It wouldn't be rational but we are already assuming that they are about as irrational as possible.

You'd skip the 'buying food' step and sell your card to the shady guy hanging out behind the gas station. $100 worth of food stamps for $50 in cash.

this is apparently a big enough deal the legislature had to devote quite a bit of time to it and made it a priority

I don't think its actually very common, meanwhile the government's economic development board straight up lost like ten million dollars or something

It's $72 billion a year. It's 1 in 7 Americans. Of course there's fraud involved. There's fraud anchored to any program involving numbers that big.

the most common fraud, by a longshot, is people failing to declare a change in household size

either your (working) SO moves in or your dependent kid moves out.

second most common fraud is people failing to declare under the table income
  • override367override367 Registered User regular

In wisconsin the food stamp fraud rate is at something like 2%

the military straight up loses pallets of cash
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I don't actually know what the most depressing thing I've ever heard is anymore.

My cop buddy was called in for a DOA heroin overdose of an 8 year old girl. That one is def in my top 20.
    It gave me the feels.

This isn't supposed to be a contest :\

I was mad late for work one day because an old friend from high school threw himself in front of the earlier train.

A girl my brother went to school with, along with both her parents, and both her grandparents, were all murdered because they came home from church as two guys were trying to steal their truck.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I like how it's pretty much just welfare for the poor that has universal public outrage about how the recipients spend it

Don't hear any republicans whine about what GE does with their multi billion dollar check for having enough tax accountants to check all the "free money" boxes

Protestant Work Ethic

i don't think the "protestant work ethic" is quite as one-sided or dark as you do.

it's basically the belief that it's moral to work hard, it's moral to do one's best to be self-sufficient, and that it's moral to contribute to society

there are plenty of negative attitudes that sometimes emerge as corollaries to this ethic

but it's not a terrible thing in and of itself

Idk, I've really only ever seen it used as a tool to other people that a certain segment of society has decided aren't hard enough workers.

You can think that working hard is a good idea and that taking care of yourself is a good thing without ascribing to the very poisonous attitudes which have grown up from protestant work ethic in this country.

And, again, I am talking about the actual real world application of these ideas, not some philosophical discussion or hypothetical pondering.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I can only attempt Gradius III Arcade difficulty once every couple hours or I get too frustrated.

I love Gradius so much. Did you ever play Sidearms? The old Gradius clone that was actually pretty good?

I have not. I might grab some of the R-Type collections for PS2
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    i'm not really sure that i agree with conflating tax credits with public assistance outlays?

the distinction is not completely obvious to me, i guess.

though it's worth mentioning that tax credits are generally in place to incentivize certain behaviors, which is something that is (sometimes) grumbled about when this is done with public assistance outlays.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

no, its a credit

Yeah but you work hard and poor people don't so it's different.

Note I am not saying this is what anyone in this forum believes, but when you boil it away that's where this idea comes from in the American zeitgeist.
    Lh96QHG.png

no, its a credit

You still paid taxes though. A percentage of your paycheck still went to the government. The "credit" just reduced that percentage slightly.
    h1DI1.jpg
    Oh one last thing. Slenderman isn't scary because whenever I see him/it the first thing I think of is jack skellington and jack is awesome and lovable not scary.

blarg.jpg
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • override367override367 Registered User regular

Hey you know what has a multiplicative effect on the economy and likely generates more revenue than it costs?

Food stamps
  • JeanJean Northern Alberta , CanadaRegistered User regular
    I like how it's pretty much just welfare for the poor that has universal public outrage about how the recipients spend it

Don't hear any republicans whine about what GE does with their multi billion dollar check for having enough tax accountants to check all the "free money" boxes

Protestant Work Ethic

Don't kid yourself, my native Québec is as catholic as it gets nowadays yet we still have that FUCK THE POOR mentality.

We give them actual $ instead of food stamps tough but the montlhy amount is so low you can't even afford the rent on a very average appartment. If you don't live in a subsidized appartment, you're pretty much screwed.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular

I have no idea -- I just saw the interior of I think Mike's car in one of the PATV episodes. I'm not implying the dude is $texas loaded, but if he's driving that either he or his wife is doing relatively well. Which is great, more power to 'em.

I'd get infracted for the slang it makes me think of. N-word rich. And I have a Mercedes that is a monstrous negative as an asset ATm thanks to headaches from my family, so judging how someone does by what they drie (outside of true super cars) is just a class thing.

So driving a relatively expensive car is not at all related to socioeconomic status or means?

EDIT: I'm not saying everyone who drives a Mercedes is somehow super-duper loaded, but it is a relatively high-end car.

You just aren't taking enough of the cost of a car into consideration. Think of cost to repair, premium fuel, etc. etc and you're not specifying the condition of the vehicle...

So the long and th short of it is that it's just dumb to judge people by what they drive/how they look, and that's why I find statements like that funny.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

no, its a credit

You still paid taxes though. A percentage of your paycheck still went to the government. The "credit" just reduced that percentage slightly.

He paid FICA and medicare, yeah.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

Do it! R-Type Final is also good. Gradius V is a masterpiece.
    edited May 2013
    i'm not really sure that i agree with conflating tax credits with public assistance outlays?

though it's worth mentioning that tax credits are generally in place to incentivize certain behaviors, which is something that is (sometimes) grumbled about when this is done with public assistance outlays.

it's not the purpose of welfare to incentivize behaviors. the purpose is to keep people from starving in the streets.

there's nothing intrinsically wrong with using public funds to incentivize behaviors IMO. that's what, for example, Medicare is doing right now with electronic medical records adoption.

the problem is that when you start applying incentives to welfare, they don't work, because they're based on a fallacious notion that a substantial percentage of the poor are poor because they have insufficient incentive to be not-poor

so you just end making peoples' lives more difficult for no good benefit
    Feral on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Wouldn't an alcoholic just trade the shit he bought with food stamps for some booze?

Yeah, that would be fraud. His SNAP benefits would be terminated.

Only if he is caught. And if we are assuming alcoholics who are almost completely irrational in their spending, they would try it anyway, resulting in the same shit as just giving them cash.

"Some people will break the law, so there's no point having one" is not a compelling argument.

If it doesn't do anything to stop the behavior that it is designed to stop, it is kind of a worthless law.

It does stop behavior it is designed to stop. It doesn't stop criminals from criminaling.

The Venn diagram of desperate alcoholics and criminals is probably almost a perfect circle.

Yeah, but it doesn't include the idiots that would spend their food stamp provided budget on booze if it were totes legal.

Alcohol purchases didn't increase when there was a cash handout instead of food stamps in studies where it was legal.

I love Gradius V.

I hate how PS2 games look like shit on my HDTV. :(
    eff the rich and the poor

middle class 4 lyf
    h1DI1.jpg
    the military straight up loses pallets of cash

I want a pallet of cash.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    I also like how "HDTV" is a quaint acronym now

now we just call them "TVs"
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

no, its a credit

it's a straight up credit. im pretty sure you could not work and have 0 income and 0 taxes paid and still collect $1000 for spawning.

as opposed to a deduction like you get on your mortgage or for chartiable donations which just reduces the taxable portion of your income

@tyrannus fact check me yo
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular

This right here is why this is a stupid argument, and we should all agree to vote according to corn subsidies next election.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Cinders wrote: »
    I don't actually know what the most depressing thing I've ever heard is anymore.

My cop buddy was called in for a DOA heroin overdose of an 8 year old girl. That one is def in my top 20.
    It gave me the feels.

This isn't supposed to be a contest :\

I was mad late for work one day because an old friend from high school threw himself in front of the earlier train.

A girl my brother went to school with, along with both her parents, and both her grandparents, were all murdered because they came home from church as two guys were trying to steal their truck.

One of my fraternity brothers was on the football team and one of those student athlete scholar types. On summer break his buddy got into a car accident and he was in a coma for months. He made it out of the coma, but with massive brain damage. He lives with his parents and makes a living going to schools as a cautionary tale against drunk driving.

He wasn't driving drunk.

Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    buying an HDTV was such a horrible investment for me.
    My $700 was like a $300 TV two months later.
    I picked the worst time to buy one.

I love Gradius V.

I hate how PS2 games look like shit on my HDTV. :(

PCSX2 allows for upscaling on your PC!
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Man I'm really, really, really happy with my life right now

But my mom is pushing me to like, go to school full time and ask my bosses for a raise and all this shit

And I'm like 'n-no? I like my life?'

but she doesn't listen :(

You just aren't taking enough of the cost of a car into consideration. Think of cost to repair, premium fuel, etc. etc and you're not specifying the condition of the vehicle...

So the long and th short of it is that it's just dumb to judge people by what they drive/how they look, and that's why I find statements like that funny.

How does the car being more expensive due to hidden costs make it any less of a high-end car, which presumably mostly people with higher incomes could afford ...?
    network_sig2.png
    I also like how "HDTV" is a quaint acronym now

now we just call them "TVs"

Progress!

I can't wait to buy my first <$1000 4k TV.
    network_sig2.png
    buying an HDTV was such a horrible investment for me.
    My $700 was like a $300 TV two months later.
    I picked the worst time to buy one.

I bought an open-box TV at Best Buy and got $50 more shaved off because it didn't have the screws to attach it to the stand, and then I went to Home Depot and bought replacement screws for $1.50.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    Ughhhh I haven't eaten in 2 days except for a bowl of soup I puked up because it all gives me excruciating stomach pain

This contrast for the ct scan is doing the same thing, I probably won't even be able to hold still
    G2Dcf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.