Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    "gonna make the DLC podcast consistent, like PATV"

But you guys stopped doing PATV as well. D:

Though Strip Search more than makes up for it.
    camo_sig2.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    If the outcomes are the same or better when just giving them cash and easier to administer, you might as well just switch to giving cash.

The goal is to keep people from starving to death. Giving people food credits does a lot more to ensure this than giving people cash.
    How many people do you think will starve if we just give them cash instead of food stamps? Do you really think that is such a huge problem that we need food stamps?

So many people.. It's unfeasible. Health care costs would surge too, at least in correlation with the obesity crawl on food assistance rosters.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Gambling addicts and alcoholics not making an effort to stop drinking.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • kaleeditykaleedity bad biscuits make the baker broke bro Registered User regular
    PA doing a kick starter sorta bothers me. This is for projects that have no funding right? So why is PA doing kicks tarter stuff?

no, it's for projects to meet demand of consumers that want their shit
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    "gonna make the DLC podcast consistent, like PATV"

But you guys stopped doing PATV as well. D:

Though Strip Search more than makes up for it.

They did Strip Search instead of PATV this year, according to one of the recent newsposts.

Which is a shame, but I guess the Desert Bus guys can only edit so many videos a week.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Bring back Mincome or a negative income tax!
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    I have a position that is now +201%

i think all the inherent value has been extracted at this point and i am just riding the wave of the Dow

it is a leveraged position so once the merry go round stops the entire thing will basically come crashing down

so the question is how long is the dow rally going to last, and also how greedy am i

i am feeling very greedy

Gooby:

couldn't you skim some of your winnings off, and let what is left ride the wave however it goes?

That way, you have made moneys, and can still make more moneys.

yeah i suppose i could

that might be a thing that i do
    919UOwT.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    It's not "their" money though. It's government assistance. It's designed to both help them when they need it, while getting off it as soon as they're able. It's not supposed to be a crutch.

is your tax break for being married your money, or the one for owning a house

Yes? The government isn't giving me money. It's saying "well, you don't have to pay us quite as much."
    h1DI1.jpg
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    PA doing a kick starter sorta bothers me. This is for projects that have no funding right? So why is PA doing kicks tarter stuff?

Its barely a KS, with a $10 goal all they are doing is selling merchandise and making easy money
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    What we should do is just shoot everyone making under 10k a year and feed them to everyone making under 20k a year.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    I'd consider donating to a PA Kickstarter but their rewards always fuckin' suck, so no thank you.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Hmm. I guess I just don't see the point then. Couldn't they just put the rewards for sale on their store?
    I explained short selling to my dad the other day, as best I could

We sipped our beers and nodded and agreed that financiers are dark sorcerers and we should abolish the wage system

It really is funny how few people actually get it, even in the industry. It is just one elaborate con for vig. There's reasons I'm playing the track instead of day trading now. At least he track makes inside information discernible by money underlays.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    What we should do is just shoot everyone making under 10k a year and feed them to everyone making under 20k a year.

Charge everyone making over $250k a year $10k to shoot someone making under $10k a year

Instant balanced budget.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    What we should do is outlaw being poor. if you household makes, say, the bottom percentile, you go to jail until you can work off your debts to society.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Wouldn't an alcoholic just trade the shit he bought with food stamps for some booze?
    It's not "their" money though. It's government assistance. It's designed to both help them when they need it, while getting off it as soon as they're able. It's not supposed to be a crutch.

is your tax break for being married your money, or the one for owning a house

Yes? The government isn't giving me money. It's saying "well, you don't have to pay us quite as much."

Marriage credits are not cuts. That money wouldn't be yours if the program didn't exist.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Eh, that money I could send to the Kickstarter could fund a new champion on League of Legends. (Help me, I just got bit by the bug after trying the game 5+ times!).
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • P10P10 Registered User regular

Its barely a KS, with a $10 goal all they are doing is selling merchandise and making easy money
    It's stupid that KS is allowing it because it seems to be against the 'spirit' of Kickstarter. Then again I imagine Kickstarter makes its money so what do they care.

Other than that I don't see an issue. Don't like it don't gib monie
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think my boss likes me to head up this new, more prestigious team. ++
    The team will deal exclusively with regulators. minusminusminusminusminusminusminusminusminus
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Wouldn't an alcoholic just trade the shit he bought with food stamps for some booze?

One of the popular LINK scams is to go to an unscrupulous merchant, "pay" them $20 in LINKbucks, and they give you $15 in cash.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    There's a lotta really awesome freakonomis about government aid and the signals and data we have on it. I was listening to the most recent one about obesity, and they were touching on the food stamps/obesity in kids issue. Do you think that just relabeling obesity/fat as malnourished would make lower socio-economic ladder parents more likely to educate themselves about food?

The problem is that education isn't likely to make a large impact.

But would it be a good way of activating critical thought in those predisposed not to do so? The paradox of the statement is rather compelling, and I could see it having an effect, as a big part of childhood obesity is the parental loving their child so much it's killing them both (in a way).

That's just a restatement of the same idea - "the poors are fat because they make bad food choices."

There's evidence that this is a factor, but it's a weak factor. It's overshadowed by issues of affordability and access, and doesn't take into account the contextual nature of perceptions about food.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    Got good news today re: my legal battle with family.

It will be resolved soon(ish) in as amicable a fashion as it can be. Which isn't very, but needs must. How someone as decent as the man who adopted me came out of that bunch of swamp trash I will never know.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    also i've only kickstarted one thing because i'm a massive obsidian fanboy and they aren't no-namers so i have some faith the project will happen/won't suck

i would have kickstarted skullgirls but i didn't hear about it until 2 late
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular

A modest proposal.

I like it.

Yeah, that would be fraud. His SNAP benefits would be terminated.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
    Really, any compulsive gambler could do the same thing. Spend the food stamps on some high value items then sell it for less than it is worth. It wouldn't be rational but we are already assuming that they are about as irrational as possible.
    Hmm. I guess I just don't see the point then. Couldn't they just put the rewards for sale on their store?

Charge everyone making over $250k a year $10k to shoot someone making under $10k a year

Instant balanced budget.

They did this already. Hard Target starring JCVD.

Instant balanced budget.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    My personal hygiene has improved since my tinnitus worsened.

Mostly because the shower is the only place where I can feel genuinely normal for a few minutes.
    emnmnme wrote: »

Yeah, that would be fraud. His SNAP benefits would be terminated.

Only if he is caught. And if we are assuming alcoholics who are almost completely irrational in their spending, they would try it anyway, resulting in the same shit as just giving them cash.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I explained short selling to my dad the other day, as best I could

We sipped our beers and nodded and agreed that financiers are dark sorcerers and we should abolish the wage system

It really is funny how few people actually get it, even in the industry. It is just one elaborate con for vig. There's reasons I'm playing the track instead of day trading now. At least he track makes inside information discernible by money underlays.

Am I reading this right, as "market trading is a scam so I gamble instead"?

• Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    also if you're poor you no longer get to make ethical food choices yay

you don't get to be too picky at the soup kitchen, i guess.

this type of attitude (of course amplified) is what drives this "welfare poor shoudn't get nice things"

"beggars can't be choosers" suddenly becomes "government assistance shouldn't actually be helpful because then everyone will use it!" which is just ugh

what is the right solution? should we have any restrictions on public assistance?

would you be okay with allowing organic milk on wic vouchers (and cage-free eggs and the equivalent across the various vouchers) if it meant that the funding didn't go as far only half the number of people were allowed to qualify?

should there be any guidelines, structures or restrictions to encourage people from spending all their food stamp money on junkfood? is it problematic if people do this?

This strikes me as a massive strawman.

Here's a better question: is this actually an issue? Are there legions of starving children out there because their parents spend WIC coupons on organic milk and cage free eggs so by the time the 15th comes around they're out of food?

WIC isn't a dollar amount - it's a fixed unit based on a coupon.

so if you buy the expensive milk, the government gets charged twice as much

i guess the way they normally handle it is to scale the amounts depending on the cost. like the option of three cans condensed milk, one gallon of milk, or a half-gallon of organic milk.

i'm not really sure if that solves the problem, exactly, since the half-gallon of organic milk has half the nutrients of the gallon of milk. but i think that's how they generally do it.

which is why this is a straw man because it's not what we were talking about

we aren't talking about increasing the expense to the government to give the poors a choice (although I could argue WIC is a horrendously flawed program, it gives out vouchers for sugar water called Juice)

We are talking about food stamps, you have a finite amount, if you use them to buy a single 72 ounce dry aged piece of beef for the month and a lobster

well you can still do that after these restrictions!

But god forbid you buy the $2.99 eggs instead of the $1.99 eggs

right

i'm okay with the wic restrictions

i agree that there's not a convincing reason for applying the wic restrictions to the food stamp restrictions

but am okay with legit "junk food" restrictions for food stamps and wouldn't have a problem with these being expanded (and also the juice/ sugar-water thing in wic)
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

Instant balanced budget.

That kind of reminds me of Inspector Temporal Policeman
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    doot doot never designed this kind of complex bridge before doot doot

doot doot making it up as i go doot doot
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    also i've only kickstarted one thing because i'm a massive obsidian fanboy and they aren't no-namers so i have some faith the project will happen/won't suck

i would have kickstarted skullgirls but i didn't hear about it until 2 late

I kickstarted two things for very minimal amounts, and I honestly can't even remember what they are now.
    There's a lotta really awesome freakonomis about government aid and the signals and data we have on it. I was listening to the most recent one about obesity, and they were touching on the food stamps/obesity in kids issue. Do you think that just relabeling obesity/fat as malnourished would make lower socio-economic ladder parents more likely to educate themselves about food?

The problem is that education isn't likely to make a large impact.

But would it be a good way of activating critical thought in those predisposed not to do so? The paradox of the statement is rather compelling, and I could see it having an effect, as a big part of childhood obesity is the parental loving their child so much it's killing them both (in a way).

That's just a restatement of the same idea - "the poors are fat because they make bad food choices."

There's evidence that this is a factor, but it's a weak factor. It's overshadowed by issues of affordability and access, and doesn't take into account the contextual nature of perceptions about food.

It's not that at all because obesity is on the rise across income levels. It's reframing the conversation about obesity from fat shaming, and trying to depoliticize it, which happens with First Lady initiatives apparently these days.
    STOP SAVING DRAFTS VANILLA!
    edited May 2013
    Really, any compulsive gambler could do the same thing. Spend the food stamps on some high value items then sell it for less than it is worth. It wouldn't be rational but we are already assuming that they are about as irrational as possible.

You'd skip the 'buying food' step and sell your card to the shady guy hanging out behind the gas station. $100 worth of food stamps for $50 in cash.

EDIT:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d3Qo8WU_-M
    emnmnme on
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    I'm okay with the government restricting what food food stamps can be used on as long as poor people can tell anyone who gets a tax credit what they can spend that on
This discussion has been closed.