Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I can only attempt Gradius III Arcade difficulty once every couple hours or I get too frustrated.

I love Gradius so much. Did you ever play Sidearms? The old Gradius clone that was actually pretty good?

I have not. I might grab some of the R-Type collections for PS2

Do it! R-Type Final is also good. Gradius V is a masterpiece.

I love Gradius V.

I hate how PS2 games look like shit on my HDTV. :(

I got an old CRTV just for classic games.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    DoctorArch: shhhhhhh

verboten
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    buying an HDTV was such a horrible investment for me.
    My $700 was like a $300 TV two months later.
    I picked the worst time to buy one.

I bought an open-box TV at Best Buy and got $50 more shaved off because it didn't have the screws to attach it to the stand, and then I went to Home Depot and bought replacement screws for $1.50.

once-again-the-conservative-sandwichheavy-portfolio-pays-off-for-the-hungry-investor.jpg
    network_sig2.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I like how it's pretty much just welfare for the poor that has universal public outrage about how the recipients spend it

Don't hear any republicans whine about what GE does with their multi billion dollar check for having enough tax accountants to check all the "free money" boxes

Protestant Work Ethic

i don't think the "protestant work ethic" is quite as one-sided or dark as you do.

it's basically the belief that it's moral to work hard, it's moral to do one's best to be self-sufficient, and that it's moral to contribute to society

there are plenty of negative attitudes that sometimes emerge as corollaries to this ethic

but it's not a terrible thing in and of itself

Idk, I've really only ever seen it used as a tool to other people that a certain segment of society has decided aren't hard enough workers.

You can think that working hard is a good idea and that taking care of yourself is a good thing without ascribing to the very poisonous attitudes which have grown up from protestant work ethic in this country.

And, again, I am talking about the actual real world application of these ideas, not some philosophical discussion or hypothetical pondering.

i guess i've known people who work for the sake of work - even when they're not getting paid - because they believed that it was a moral thing to do.

not all of them were protestant, of course - if the term means anything these days it's enmeshed in the american zeitgeist rather than consigned to the descendants of puritans. some of them were people who i really disagreed with politically, but i admired their work ethic and their drive to contribute. some of them were rich and some were poor.

i agree with you that the attitudes you describe are awful and poisonous. i just don't see them as necessary or inevitable outgrowths of the work ethic.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Man I'm really, really, really happy with my life right now

But my mom is pushing me to like, go to school full time and ask my bosses for a raise and all this shit

And I'm like 'n-no? I like my life?'

but she doesn't listen :(

It's not bad to push yourself further, but I'd highly recommend not pushing for a raise when you haven't even been there long enough for a yearly review.
    But as soon as you get the polish brass balls of awesome year award, push the fuck out of it.
  • DaemonSadiDaemonSadi Registered User regular

But my mom is pushing me to like, go to school full time and ask my bosses for a raise and all this shit

That's the thing about living on your own.

You can just say "yea mom dats cool. I've gotta run talk to ya later!" And then you hang up the phone and go on about your business.
    archer2.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    I don't actually know what the most depressing thing I've ever heard is anymore.

My cop buddy was called in for a DOA heroin overdose of an 8 year old girl. That one is def in my top 20.
    It gave me the feels.

This isn't supposed to be a contest :\

I was mad late for work one day because an old friend from high school threw himself in front of the earlier train.

A girl my brother went to school with, along with both her parents, and both her grandparents, were all murdered because they came home from church as two guys were trying to steal their truck.

One of my fraternity brothers was on the football team and one of those student athlete scholar types. On summer break his buddy got into a car accident and he was in a coma for months. He made it out of the coma, but with massive brain damage. He lives with his parents and makes a living going to schools as a cautionary tale against drunk driving.

He wasn't driving drunk.

Huh. Same story, switch "football" with "baseball", "fraternity" with "high school friend" and add "hit by a drunk."
    h1DI1.jpg
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular

Helicopter parents are so fun, my girlfriends been struggling with her mom who lives vicariously through her and some of her life decisions she's made for me, so obv I'm biased.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy

Punch her in the face.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Are the PA guys multimillionaires? They must be by now, right?

I dunno about millionaires.

But at least one of them drives a Mercedes, so, y'know...

Which model? And statements like these are so funny.

I have no idea -- I just saw the interior of I think Mike's car in one of the PATV episodes. I'm not implying the dude is $texas loaded, but if he's driving that either he or his wife is doing relatively well. Which is great, more power to 'em.

What's funny about that statement?

I'd get infracted for the slang it makes me think of. N-word rich. And I have a Mercedes that is a monstrous negative as an asset ATm thanks to headaches from my family, so judging how someone does by what they drie (outside of true super cars) is just a class thing.

So driving a relatively expensive car is not at all related to socioeconomic status or means?

(That's not a normative statement.)

EDIT: I'm not saying everyone who drives a Mercedes is somehow super-duper loaded, but it is a relatively high-end car.

You just aren't taking enough of the cost of a car into consideration. Think of cost to repair, premium fuel, etc. etc and you're not specifying the condition of the vehicle...

So the long and th short of it is that it's just dumb to judge people by what they drive/how they look, and that's why I find statements like that funny.

I'm not following your logic here. You're suggesting that if someone has a recent, high-end car, it isn't reasonable to assume a lower bound on their income?

I mean, there are exceptions: it could be a rental, they could be a salesman taking a demonstrator home from work, etc. but in the main a person with a recent merc is going to be reasonably well-off.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular

I bought an open-box TV at Best Buy and got $50 more shaved off because it didn't have the screws to attach it to the stand, and then I went to Home Depot and bought replacement screws for $1.50.

I hit a perfect spin on a wheel of fortune slot machine bonus game betting 75 cents. (Paid 750 dollars)
    I wish I still had that money.
    And didn't go back and lose many times that amount over the next 2 years.
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Yeah, ignore her.

Haven't you only been at your current work-place for, like, a couple months?
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
  • JeanJean Northern Alberta , CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yo mama only wants what's good for you

Then I'm biased because my mama is awesome :)
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    I think I maybe got a splinter in my food

real mad
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

I have no idea -- I just saw the interior of I think Mike's car in one of the PATV episodes. I'm not implying the dude is $texas loaded, but if he's driving that either he or his wife is doing relatively well. Which is great, more power to 'em.

I'd get infracted for the slang it makes me think of. N-word rich. And I have a Mercedes that is a monstrous negative as an asset ATm thanks to headaches from my family, so judging how someone does by what they drie (outside of true super cars) is just a class thing.

So driving a relatively expensive car is not at all related to socioeconomic status or means?

EDIT: I'm not saying everyone who drives a Mercedes is somehow super-duper loaded, but it is a relatively high-end car.

It's also a poor indicator if it's your only datapoint.

I knew "car guys" who spent more money than I did on cars, while having the same/lower net worth.

Because that was important to them, and included their entertainment/hobby budgets and whatever.

Edit: And my 2nd hand Merc was the same price as a new affordable car. But that might just be a South Africa specific thing.
    Mortious on

You just aren't taking enough of the cost of a car into consideration. Think of cost to repair, premium fuel, etc. etc and you're not specifying the condition of the vehicle...

So the long and th short of it is that it's just dumb to judge people by what they drive/how they look, and that's why I find statements like that funny.

How does the car being more expensive due to hidden costs make it any less of a high-end car, which presumably mostly people with higher incomes could afford ...?

Tell me the car and I can tell you it's relative worth. You aren't using enough information to form an opinion and are relyimg on a heuristic instead of critical thinking.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    I like how it's pretty much just welfare for the poor that has universal public outrage about how the recipients spend it

Don't hear any republicans whine about what GE does with their multi billion dollar check for having enough tax accountants to check all the "free money" boxes

Protestant Work Ethic

i don't think the "protestant work ethic" is quite as one-sided or dark as you do.

it's basically the belief that it's moral to work hard, it's moral to do one's best to be self-sufficient, and that it's moral to contribute to society

there are plenty of negative attitudes that sometimes emerge as corollaries to this ethic

but it's not a terrible thing in and of itself

Idk, I've really only ever seen it used as a tool to other people that a certain segment of society has decided aren't hard enough workers.

You can think that working hard is a good idea and that taking care of yourself is a good thing without ascribing to the very poisonous attitudes which have grown up from protestant work ethic in this country.

And, again, I am talking about the actual real world application of these ideas, not some philosophical discussion or hypothetical pondering.

i guess i've known people who work for the sake of work - even when they're not getting paid - because they believed that it was a moral thing to do.

not all of them were protestant, of course - if the term means anything these days it's enmeshed in the american zeitgeist rather than consigned to the descendants of puritans. some of them were people who i really disagreed with politically, but i admired their work ethic and their drive to contribute. some of them were rich and some were poor.

i agree with you that the attitudes you describe are awful and poisonous. i just don't see them as necessary or inevitable outgrowths of the work ethic.

What part of what I said makes you think I haven't known people who work hard for teh sake of working hard?

Hell, I have basically been doing the job of my supervisor because no one else has and I make 200 bucks a week.

I am saying that in America, the protestant work ethic, as a term, has led to some pretty awful shit.

Basically since the first pilgrim landed at plymouth rock.

And it was doing some horrendous stuff in England before that.

Like, I am not just throwing these things out into a vacuum. I am talking about actual stuff. The Republican view toward poor people, which really is pretty pervasive among Democrats as well, comes out of this.

Because if they worked hard or weren't stupid then they wouldn't be poor. That is where it comes from in this country. It's all of the elect/ not of the elect bs all over again.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    http://www.thelmagazine.com/newyork/9-brooklyn-bartenders-talk-booze/Content?oid=2312750&showFullText=true

apparently the most annoying/least fav drink for many of these bartenders to make is a LI iced tea

understandable

lols drankz

@deebaser @syndalis
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    @Dread Pirate Arbuthnot
    This is no reason for me to doubt you getting the giant polished brass balls award is there, you manic queefer?
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Punch her in the face.

lawyer up

hit the gym

punch her in the face
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

Yeah, ignore her.

Six months, I was planning to discuss the possibility of a raise in December (my responsibilities have expanded and changed, but that'll be the one year anniversary, so it seems wise to wait until then)
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    I don't actually know what the most depressing thing I've ever heard is anymore.

My cop buddy was called in for a DOA heroin overdose of an 8 year old girl. That one is def in my top 20.
    It gave me the feels.

I was mad late for work one day because an old friend from high school threw himself in front of the earlier train.

A girl my brother went to school with, along with both her parents, and both her grandparents, were all murdered because they came home from church as two guys were trying to steal their truck.

One of my fraternity brothers was on the football team and one of those student athlete scholar types. On summer break his buddy got into a car accident and he was in a coma for months. He made it out of the coma, but with massive brain damage. He lives with his parents and makes a living going to schools as a cautionary tale against drunk driving.

He wasn't driving drunk.

Huh. Same story, switch "football" with "baseball", "fraternity" with "high school friend" and add "hit by a drunk."

You wanna make it even more depressing?
    They probably work for the same foundation with hundreds of other mad-libdentical people.

:(:(:(:(

I think we have a "winner"
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • DaemonSadiDaemonSadi Registered User regular

real mad

You ate a splinter?
    archer2.png
    spool why is it so hot

explain yourself

you know what forget it I'll be at my mothers

*slams door*
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

How does the car being more expensive due to hidden costs make it any less of a high-end car, which presumably mostly people with higher incomes could afford ...?

Mercs have a much lower maintenance cost for at least the first decade of their life than other cars (unless this is also a lolSouth Africa specific thing)
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular

It gave me the feels.

He wasn't driving drunk.

You wanna make it even more depressing?
    They probably work for the same foundation with hundreds of other mad-libdentical people.

:(:(:(:(

I think we have a "winner"

Well

the newsletters are probably really easy to write.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    i'm not really sure that i agree with conflating tax credits with public assistance outlays?

the distinction is not completely obvious to me, i guess.

though it's worth mentioning that tax credits are generally in place to incentivize certain behaviors, which is something that is (sometimes) grumbled about when this is done with public assistance outlays.

it's not the purpose of welfare to incentivize behaviors. the purpose is to keep people from starving in the streets.

there's nothing intrinsically wrong with using public funds to incentivize behaviors IMO. that's what, for example, Medicare is doing right now with electronic medical records adoption.

the problem is that when you start applying incentives to welfare, they don't work, because they're based on a fallacious notion that a substantial percentage of the poor are poor because they have insufficient incentive to be not-poor

so you just end making peoples' lives more difficult for no good benefit

i don't think that social engineering has to be solely about incentives. some of it is just structuring systems in order to help people either make good decisions or educate them about the benefits of good decisions.

for instance, i am a big fan of public schools. we force parents to send their kids to school one way or another.

if, instead of this, we just gave every parent $6000 cash money per kid every year and hoped they'd take care of it, i suspect we would be a worse country in short order.

maybe i'm wrong! maybe all the poor need is money from the public coffers with no strings attached. but i'm dubious.
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

real mad

You ate a splinter?

foot

curse you ipad
    I read that PAR piece about the Star Wars games for some reason, and saw that the only one I played a lot of (TIE fighter) and the only other one I remember playing (the first x-wing) don't run on non native hardware... Is this true? :( man, TIE fighter was the first game that made me quit mech warrior, so many hours in that game.
    I love Wal-Mart's yearly raises: a mandatory .25/hour raise every year. Yeah.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    http://www.thelmagazine.com/newyork/9-brooklyn-bartenders-talk-booze/Content?oid=2312750&showFullText=true

apparently the most annoying/least fav drink for many of these bartenders to make is a LI iced tea

understandable

lols drankz

@deebaser @syndalis

Well yeah, it's a lot more "complicated" than most and "cool" people don't order them.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    i'm not really sure that i agree with conflating tax credits with public assistance outlays?

the distinction is not completely obvious to me, i guess.

though it's worth mentioning that tax credits are generally in place to incentivize certain behaviors, which is something that is (sometimes) grumbled about when this is done with public assistance outlays.

it's not the purpose of welfare to incentivize behaviors. the purpose is to keep people from starving in the streets.

there's nothing intrinsically wrong with using public funds to incentivize behaviors IMO. that's what, for example, Medicare is doing right now with electronic medical records adoption.

the problem is that when you start applying incentives to welfare, they don't work, because they're based on a fallacious notion that a substantial percentage of the poor are poor because they have insufficient incentive to be not-poor

so you just end making peoples' lives more difficult for no good benefit

i don't think that social engineering has to be solely about incentives. some of it is just structuring systems in order to help people either make good decisions or educate them about the benefits of good decisions.

for instance, i am a big fan of public schools. we force parents to send their kids to school one way or another.

if, instead of this, we just gave every parent $6000 cash money per kid every year and hoped they'd take care of it, i suspect we would be a worse country in short order.

maybe i'm wrong! maybe all the poor need is money from the public coffers with no strings attached. but i'm dubious.

I mean, schooling and food are entirely different issues, and aside from couscous I don't think anyone is saying "just give them money, who cares".
    Lh96QHG.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Ughhhh I haven't eaten in 2 days except for a bowl of soup I puked up because it all gives me excruciating stomach pain

This contrast for the ct scan is doing the same thing, I probably won't even be able to hold still

D:
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    i dont know if a position that basically states "there is value in hard work" necessarily leads one to conclude that "people are poor because they don't work hard enough"

although i can very easily see how it can be used to reinforced pre-existing judgements on the poor
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

Yeah, ignore her.

Six months, I was planning to discuss the possibility of a raise in December (my responsibilities have expanded and changed, but that'll be the one year anniversary, so it seems wise to wait until then)

Well six months isn't bad, but it would depend on the circumstances at hiring time.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
    Like it would be more dignified for you if the store manager, distric manager and assistant managers just pissed on your shoes.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Tell me the car and I can tell you it's relative worth. You aren't using enough information to form an opinion and are relyimg on a heuristic instead of critical thinking.

...Alright man. This discussion isn't really going anywhere, so I'll just stop replying. I remain unconvinced that driving a relatively expensive automobile -- while obviously not in itself an indicator of higher-than-average SES -- is in most cases tied to a higher income. I get your 'don't judge a book by its cover' argument, and don't disagree that there are definitely people out there driving cars you wouldn't expect them to given their actual household income... but I doubt those people are anything but statistical outliers.
    network_sig2.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular

I hit a perfect spin on a wheel of fortune slot machine bonus game betting 75 cents. (Paid 750 dollars)
    I wish I still had that money.
    And didn't go back and lose many times that amount over the next 2 years.

my girlfriend loves the wheel of fortune slot machines

those are her favorite
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    eyes up here geth you perv
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    i dont know if a position that basically states "there is value in hard work" necessarily leads one to conclude that "people are poor because they don't work hard enough"

although i can very easily see how it can be used to reinforced pre-existing judgements on the poor

JkKQitn.jpg

Which is what I'm talking about. What it has been used to do in this country over the last couple centuries.

It's a thing.
    Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.