Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    omg seriously you guys living outside of my parents' place is the tits and i am soo much happier

i was just marvelling over how resistant i was to it

but it is THA BES

nub

nou
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I don't get horse racing. It would be much more interesting if there were chariots and combat involved.

Horse racing is over too quick. NASCAR goes on for too long.
    FrenchCat2.jpg
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Okay Gameswipe is pretty good.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I don't get horse racing. It would be much more interesting if there were chariots and combat involved.

Back in SA, during the annual horse racing thing, the last race was all naked people. (13th race)

That seemed pretty interesting.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Quid wrote: »
    Just sittin' here

Drinkin' this broth

Wishin' YouTube had entertaining stuff on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q9rLdxS7CE
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Okay Gameswipe is pretty good.

Charlie Brooker has several other similar shows / short series that are in youtube. Most are quite funny.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    one person in the article did say fizzy drinks were his least fav

and another said muddling
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Too late, Will.

I am watching a British man talk about video games.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    In the clip, the tanker car is filled with steam and the safety valves are disabled. The steam cools, then condenses, the pressure inside drops, and the pressure difference is big enough to crumple that huge railcar like a napkin.

http://youtu.be/Zz95_VvTxZM
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    craps is an awesome game fyi hth
    919UOwT.png
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    Yea.... :v:
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Irond Will wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    http://www.thelmagazine.com/newyork/9-brooklyn-bartenders-talk-booze/Content?oid=2312750&showFullText=true

apparently the most annoying/least fav drink for many of these bartenders to make is a LI iced tea

understandable

lols drankz

@deebaser @syndalis

I always figured the mohito would be the most hated because of all the mint grinding / crushing.

ramos gin fizz

Egg whites?
    *googles*
    Oh God...
    This New Orleans classic was invented in the 1880s by Henry C. Ramos. Original instructions dictated that it be shaken for a good 12 minutes, requiring a bit of a bartender relay. The drink lives on today in bars around the world—minus the marathon shaking time.

1 1/2 oz. gin
    1 Tbsp. simple syrup (1:1)
    1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
    1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
    1 fresh egg white (pasteurized if you like)
    1 oz. heavy cream
    3 drops orange flower water
    1 oz. club soda, chilled
    Tools: shaker, strainer
    Glass: highball

Combine first seven ingredients in a shaker without ice and shake vigorously to combine. Add ice to the shaker and shake again for at least a couple of minutes (more if you have it in you). Strain into a glass, top with club soda and stir.

Nope.jpg
    I will never make one of these.
    I will never order one.
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I like getting stuff in magazines. Like game codes, or CDs, or WiFi hot spots.

or bullets
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I like getting stuff in magazines. Like game codes, or CDs, or WiFi hot spots.

or bullets

Or guns.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Hey how come Slenderman only goes after white people? Is this a racist boogeyman?

Yes.

That's white privilege right there.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hard work doesn't have any inherent value. Getting shit done has value and getting shit done may be accomplished through less than hard work.

Ehh, I think there is an inherent value in needing to strive toward a goal. Things seem to be less valuable if they come easily.
    I'm in-between.
    Getting shit done is what actually matters. Working hard to get that thing done has to provide some benefit in exchange for working hard or you're just being inefficient.

But in reality in order to maximize what shit you get done you have to work hard. Because even if you tend to be the smartest guy in the room, there's a lot of fucking rooms in the world.

:^: :^: :^: :^: :^: this so much
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    one person in the article did say fizzy drinks were his least fav

and another said muddling

See, fizzy drinks imo have to be the worst.
    Seperating eggs to order is balls.
    Muddling though? Man the fuck up, buddy.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Deebaser wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    http://www.thelmagazine.com/newyork/9-brooklyn-bartenders-talk-booze/Content?oid=2312750&showFullText=true

apparently the most annoying/least fav drink for many of these bartenders to make is a LI iced tea

understandable

lols drankz

@deebaser @syndalis

I always figured the mohito would be the most hated because of all the mint grinding / crushing.

ramos gin fizz

Egg whites?
    *googles*
    Oh God...
    This New Orleans classic was invented in the 1880s by Henry C. Ramos. Original instructions dictated that it be shaken for a good 12 minutes, requiring a bit of a bartender relay. The drink lives on today in bars around the world—minus the marathon shaking time.

1 1/2 oz. gin
    1 Tbsp. simple syrup (1:1)
    1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
    1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
    1 fresh egg white (pasteurized if you like)
    1 oz. heavy cream
    3 drops orange flower water
    1 oz. club soda, chilled
    Tools: shaker, strainer
    Glass: highball

Combine first seven ingredients in a shaker without ice and shake vigorously to combine. Add ice to the shaker and shake again for at least a couple of minutes (more if you have it in you). Strain into a glass, top with club soda and stir.

Nope.jpg
    I will never make one of these.
    I will never order one.

they're straight-up delicious

you owe it to yourself to make it for yourself and your lady at least once.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    The laziest day. :(

I had *counts* 6 things I wanted to do today.

So far I have done 1 of them.

I had *counts* 4 things I wanted to do today.

I have done 3! Great success! And the last is kind of mandatory I guess because I have to take this final in 20 minutes or failure ensues.

Good luck on the final! :) And congrats on having a much more productive lazy day than I have had so far - though there's still plenty of day left!
    If I ordered a Ramos Gin Fizz, that bartender is getting a $5 per drink.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    emnmnme wrote: »

Horse racing is over too quick. NASCAR goes on for too long.

Quarterhorses usually use chariots, but it's the least awesome form of racing... I like thoroughbreds because I like to handicap. I've been thinking of making a thread around here about handicapping, especially for thoroughbreds, as i just got done reading an awesome new book about it, and I also figure if I proffered some of the ones I've read in the past might help some people out/pique some interests.
    edited May 2013
    Believeing that video games are a unique form of game, and are gonna be the source for the class conflict against the bourgeois is just a bit out of my wheelhouse.
    MadCaddy on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Just sittin' here

Drinkin' this broth

hmm

the joke is that bros are uncomfortable with gays?
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    my gut is enormous right now

| Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Just sittin' here

Drinkin' this broth

hmm

I thought it was subliminal advertising to covertly make you vote yes for gay marraige.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    my gut is enormous right now

1) fill with steam
    2) disable safety valves

Trying this
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Just sittin' here

Drinkin' this broth

hmm

I thought it was the juxtaposition of ridiculous, over-the-top hetero sexism that gets chalked up to 'boys (and girls) will be boys (and girls)'... with the sincerity of two dudes wanting to get married (which is a thing that a good portion of this country finds deviant and repulsive).

But it could also be your thing.
    network_sig2.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I only really gamble occasionally, and invariably on long shots that I don't think are nearly as long as the bookies do.

Then again I put money on Frank Schleck finishing in the places in the 2012 TdF.
    edited May 2013
    japan wrote: »
    I only really gamble occasionally, and invariably on long shots that I don't think are nearly as long as the bookies do.

Then again I put money on Frank Schleck finishing in the places in the 2012 TdF.

That's a good way to reduce what you give away. Pinnacle is an awesome resource for any serious overseas bettor, another thing I'm jealous of, but I heard they're in a bad spot right now. I just read the newest book by James Quinn which was pretty good, and sets out the basics of setting a line in races.. I've given up on any other sport, as it's the handicapping that attracted me to this and not the horses.. The fact I like animals is just kinda a bonus. I mainly decided to try it out seriously once online poker became defunct in the US.
    MadCaddy on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Who has two thumbs and managed to fuck up his travel plans for the day by misreading the time on the ticket?

<--- This guy.

(Please adjust the arrow so it continues pointing to me if you quote this post. I deserve it.)
    RichyFlag.gifsig.gif
    edited May 2013
    in the comments for this article (note: comments on gamasutra are often quite good. it's the anti-internet) they have been talking about Neverwinter a bit towards the bottom.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/20130503/191429/quotFreequot_is_Getting_Very_Expensive.php

and I just read something that is just perfect. The label "free to play" has become downright Orwellian lately in meaning the exact opposite of the literal words. What games like Neverwinter really are is O4P, "Optimized for Profit".
    RiemannLives on
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

I think after living in the UK I've come to the point that I would flat put ban gambling.Turns out my liberal views don't mesh well with half a dozen bookies on every high street, who pay little tax
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    talking with organichu about public assistance and the way his family uses and views it was pretty instructive to me.

@irond will

i guess that my deal is i'm 100% willing to have the conversation about what's going on, what the problems are, and what we ought to do about them. but i often feel like when i discuss certain issues, the liberal preoccupation with conservative assholes stifles the conversation. like, yeah, i get that welfare queens are- wholesale, at least- just an invention, an insidious little rhetorical tool for dickheads. but i am an actual poor and i know some but it is this whole thing to work that into a conversation or to approach that- what do we do about people like my family? any response i get is a quarter useful and three quarters 'BUT REMEMBER THIS IS MOSTLY JUST REPUBLICANS BEING ASSHOLES'. it's like jesus christ, i get that you're tired of condescending conservative paternalism about poor people- but i'm not a conservative, i'm not a sandbagger. maybe we can at least look at the idea that poor people are fucked up and think about how to approach that, rather than handwringing about the invisible republican in the room who would enjoy that admission a little too much.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Finished reading that Gamasutra article.

It's interesting, but he went completely off the rails by the time he reached War Inc.

Also, anecdotally at least, his comments about premium ammo in WoT doesn't match up to what I hear from the people I know that play competitively.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Just finished reading a manga called Sekitou Elegy. It's a really nice antidote to all the bullshit that usually drives me crazy about romance stories.

- they're not teenagers! Or even students! They meet working as flaggers at a construction site
    - the girl isn't some delicate flower with no personal history or desires. She works part time at a small fabrication shop, and she's trying to get a license as a commercial truck driver.
    - Neither the guy nor the girl are the prettiest people in the story. They're both just kind of above average-ish.
    - They have realistic problems: his widowed mom's not really that nice a person, the girlfriend totally has anger issues, they're both unskilled labor in a shit economy.
    - Dude is a bit of a recovering neckbeard, so he's got to resist being overly clingy or an annoying sexmonkey.
    - Neither the first kiss or the first time they have sex is a "Congratulations you win at romance!" end point. They have to keep working on the relationship, and that's really what the story's about.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    I am going to have a nice hot soak in the bath when I get home

then eat beef stew and crusty bread that aaron made for me

then i will menstrate everywhere
    edited May 2013
    someone said what I have been going on about with regards to Neverwinter in a much better way:

spoiled for troof
    Thanks for blogging this. I've been through a plethora of conversations regarding supposed F2P recently, and I tend to find what you write helps enlighten a great deal.

I've been having a very similar experience to those which you describe with the newly open beta Neverwinter (though I haven't quite worked out what's still Beta about it other than using Beta as a safety net to soft launch and in a few exceptional circumstances excuse otherwise extremely poor support and community management).

Just to outline my point of view; as per recent F2P discussions, as smarter people than myself have pointed out. These games are not F2P, they are "Optimized for Profit" or O4P.

Neverwinter has two tiers of Founders pack, the most expensive costing $199.99 (or more if you're paying from Europe which is not recalculated until actually making the payment... -.-), this pack contains a fancy mount, a fancy title, a fancy companion character amongst over a dozen other items that for the most part diminish the potentially rewarding gameplay experience by instead giving you a rewarding payment experience. And on top of this you also get an extremely healthy injection of their 2nd in game currency (Astral Diamonds) that has it's own in game exchange market into their cash shop currency (ZEN coins) ... this is interesting, as beyond grinding daily quests etc to gain Rough Astral Diamonds (a limited number of which can be refined daily into usable Astral Diamonds) this leaves the normal Copper, Silver, Gold currency for the most part a weakened F2P currency ... this is all weaved together very confusingly by the various ways to exchange or move value between the different currencies...

For example. Nightmare Chests (aka Mystery Boxes that contain 1 of a number of potential items with a decreasing chance of getting one of the rarer items) and the Zen Keys that open them...

As you play you'll "randomly" receive drops of these Chests, many people I've spoken to have along with myself questioned how random these Mystery Box drops actually are as the first drop seems timed and successive drops seem to come at intervals random enough to be different from person to person but consistent enough to provide the player with an incentive to buy Zen every few hours, whilst winners of the Mystery Box jackpot are spammed in the chat and center of your screen every 30 seconds at peak.

... these boxes can be sold for aprox 100 Astral Diamonds, Astral Diamonds are currently valued at aprox 410 Astral Diamonds per 1 Zen, a Key to open a single box can be bought for 125 Zen, which gives a Key the aproximate value of 51250 Astral Diamonds. You can buy 540 Zen for €4.99, which gives us a €1.16 value per Key. You get 2 Million Astral Diamonds ... as stated previously Astral Diamonds exchange to Zen at aproximate 410 AD to 1 Zen, which means 2,000,000 AD = 4878 Zen, which means your seemingly excessive 2 million Astral Diamonds are worth about €45.27 or around $59.34 which seems incredibly low considering most people at first, second and third glance feel this is one of the most valuable benefits of the $700 dollar Founders Pack.

And neither this $700 dollar value pack, and certainly not it's smaller $140 dollar value cousin will do what is necessary to remedy the huge O4P issues such as bank and bag space, or tedious and monotonous travel, unless you spend your advantageous Astral Diamond edge on Mount Training to retrace and retrace your steps faster or buying bags and trading for Zen to buy bank space before the games drop system overloads you with items you'll instinctively want to sell who's Copper, Silver Gold value is actually so negligible that really you should be treating 50%+ of the games loot as trash drops to conserve what little space you have.

When it comes to how valuable these packs are in terms of gameplay experience, my own honest truth is that a €19.99 Zen purchase to buy one bag and one bank upgrade to remove the most obnoxious O4P issues has more "Gamer Value" than a $700 founders pack.

I didn't buy my mount, I earned my mount. I didn't buy a powerful companion, I trained one. I didn't burn through Profession progress on the back of Astral Diamonds time saving payments, I augmented my game experience as I played with an additional progress over time facet. I played the experience - I didn't buy the experience.

These types of super sized "Founders packs" are an acknowledgement by the Industry that they perceive the willingness of the public to invest these large sums. But as people begin to acknowledge that these packs for the most part only exist to extract money rather than expand or accentuate the games experience the growing familiarity with this practice will ostracize the vocal minority until the majority start to perceive them as just another bad F2P model.

Perhaps I'm wrong... but I feel Publishers need to realise that a good F2P model will potentially never be as profitable as an abusive or manipulative F2P model at face value. But as long as the games are good and the respect for players is clearly present the nurturing or their respective communities will pay dividends in regards to how much people are willing to pay over time rather than on impulse when they have little comprehension as to what they're actually receiving until hopefully big publishers and developers once again will have communities where players beget players, as with the likes of Steam, Eve, WoW and Ultima Online.

edit: and the reply
    Jonathon, wow so much good information in your post. When I was writing my first comprehensive paper on the state of monetization models world-wide (Sustainable Virtual Economies and Business Models, 2009) I spent about 4 months playing an IGG (a Chinese company) game called Galaxy Online and I was the top ranked Western player during this time. You can see that Neverwinter, a Chinese Game from Perfect World, uses an iteration of the monetization model I described in detail back in 2009. In China all the monetization techs (this is what I call them), and there are thousands of them, study this one model and try to come up with ways to optimize it to deceive and coerce the consumer into spending on a product they realize is not designed for longevity.

I actually get emails from Chinese monetization techs bragging about how dumb consumers are and how effective their models are. I won't publish these emails because I want to keep receiving them :)

The real-world economy in China, and to a lesser extent Korea, is very new. The younger generations are experiencing much more wealth than their parents ever saw and conspicuous consumption is praised. It is very different than in the West where we kind of got over that a while ago. So while we may see people buying their way through games as foolish, they see it as a status symbol. Western companies should not look at the metrics in the East and assume these models will work the same way here. This is one of the problems you get when metrics-driven professionals with little game experience make decisions in our industry.

TLDR: Neverwinter (run by Perfect World) is based on Chinese / Korean monetization models which are designed to deceive the player into overpay for assets they know are going to devalue rapidly in a game that is not intended to last.
    RiemannLives on
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Just finished reading a manga called Sekitou Elegy. It's a really nice antidote to all the bullshit that usually drives me crazy about romance stories.

- they're not teenagers! Or even students! They meet working as flaggers at a construction site
    - the girl isn't some delicate flower with no personal history or desires. She works part time at a small fabrication shop, and she's trying to get a license as a commercial truck driver.
    - Neither the guy nor the girl are the prettiest people in the story. They're both just kind of above average-ish.
    - They have realistic problems: his widowed mom's not really that nice a person, the girlfriend totally has anger issues, they're both unskilled labor in a shit economy.
    - Dude is a bit of a recovering neckbeard, so he's got to resist being overly clingy or an annoying sexmonkey.
    - Neither the first kiss or the first time they have sex is a "Congratulations you win at romance!" end point. They have to keep working on the relationship, and that's really what the story's about.

The sex equals victory thing is a huge pet peeve of mine.
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    i am shit at poker

just played four games of poker night 2

lost miserably every time
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
This discussion has been closed.