Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Finished reading that Gamasutra article.

It's interesting, but he went completely off the rails by the time he reached War Inc.

Also, anecdotally at least, his comments about premium ammo in WoT doesn't match up to what I hear from the people I know that play competitively.

we are talking about the one about Supremacy Goods right?

I think he is a little kinder to WoT than that game deserves but is basically right. They have some problems with matchmaking and the prevalence of premium ammo but they are doing better than most FTP games.

And I'm not sure what you mean by him going "off the rails". He was looking at the claims the makers of War Inc and comparing them to the actual amount of money the game was making. And showed some problems with their UI that might be a factor.

I think his argument that the way the game presents its O4P model does indeed contribute to the perception that it is a "pay to win" style game is correct.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Don't there just have to be some topics, or elements of topics, that are not available for satire?

no

Totally contextual

The onion is explicitly a place for satire to occur though, so... I don't know what people expect

"you can't just say awful things and try to hide behind "satire"" seems to be their complaint

I think they mean "oughtn't".

Because people can do that.
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Cryptic did go down the shitter after the sale.. I still haven't logged int STO in over a year, I hope you guys haven't exiled me yet.

never winter is a good deal more competent than sto was

the engine, art and gameplay is great. But god damn. Dammn. That Optimized for Profit model is really a drag.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    90s French music? So like, pretty much Air, right?

Air is maybe #3-4 on my list of the Top 5 French Electronic Duos.
    network_sig2.png
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    Cryptic did go down the shitter after the sale.. I still haven't logged int STO in over a year, I hope you guys haven't exiled me yet.

the engine, art and gameplay is great. But god damn. Dammn. That Optimized for Profit model is really a drag.

Not as bad as diablo 3

That game was disgusting in how you had to use the ah to proceed and either farm gold forever or spend dollars
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Just finished reading a manga called Sekitou Elegy. It's a really nice antidote to all the bullshit that usually drives me crazy about romance stories.

- they're not teenagers! Or even students! They meet working as flaggers at a construction site
    - the girl isn't some delicate flower with no personal history or desires. She works part time at a small fabrication shop, and she's trying to get a license as a commercial truck driver.
    - Neither the guy nor the girl are the prettiest people in the story. They're both just kind of above average-ish.
    - They have realistic problems: his widowed mom's not really that nice a person, the girlfriend totally has anger issues, they're both unskilled labor in a shit economy.
    - Dude is a bit of a recovering neckbeard, so he's got to resist being overly clingy or an annoying sexmonkey.
    - Neither the first kiss or the first time they have sex is a "Congratulations you win at romance!" end point. They have to keep working on the relationship, and that's really what the story's about.

Seinen stories tend to be more realistic about romance.

Well, yeah, compared to shounen, but I mean... That's not exactly a high bar to set!

But it's still pretty darn bad, mostly.

Which, to be fair, is pretty true of a lot of western romances as well.

Actually come to think of it can anyone recommend any mature western comics romance stories?

I was trying to think of examples earlier, and all that occurred to me was Scott Pilgrim
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Don't there just have to be some topics, or elements of topics, that are not available for satire?

no

Totally contextual

The onion is explicitly a place for satire to occur though, so... I don't know what people expect

"you can't just say awful things and try to hide behind "satire"" seems to be their complaint

I think that's a valid point, but usually satire is making a point too

It's not just saying horrible things for shock value

Inherent in satire is the knowledge that the horrible thing is horrible, and mockery of the person who thinks it's acceptable to say it in earnest
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    god, this soda withdrawal headache is fucking with my heeeaaaadd
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Organichu wrote: »

i love this recent pic of him just towering over the tiny babby. it's prolly partially a trick of perspective but he basically looks like the giant-ray'd baby from honey i...

There is some stellar parenting going on in this picture.

"Kids, just play Cards Against Humanity for a bit. Daddy had a little too much bourbon and needs a nap."

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular

It is pretty bad. I mean I had two quests that basically had "See, here is the cash shop!" as their final quest objective.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    When I'm feeling drunk and emotional, I listen to 2 types of music

1) Old french music (1970s-1990s)
    2) Le roi Lion!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkyDt1LlhSI

C'est l'histoire de la vieeeeeeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X11lU1YbHpY
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    feral is so aroused by naked lesbian bus sex that he had to post it twice

when you have sex on the bus, you're also having sex with everybody that bus has had sex with

or something

the idea of a vehicle having sex with people might add a whole new meaning to 'helicopter parent'

what

no

no it doesn't, why would you say this
    eokNV.jpg

Not as bad as diablo 3

That game was disgusting in how you had to use the ah to proceed and either farm gold forever or spend dollars

Oh definitely. There are many games with worse payment models. But I think Neverwinter is something new, and disturbing, in using the exploitative Chinese / Korean model in such a high profile western game.
    Just finished reading a manga called Sekitou Elegy. It's a really nice antidote to all the bullshit that usually drives me crazy about romance stories.

- they're not teenagers! Or even students! They meet working as flaggers at a construction site
    - the girl isn't some delicate flower with no personal history or desires. She works part time at a small fabrication shop, and she's trying to get a license as a commercial truck driver.
    - Neither the guy nor the girl are the prettiest people in the story. They're both just kind of above average-ish.
    - They have realistic problems: his widowed mom's not really that nice a person, the girlfriend totally has anger issues, they're both unskilled labor in a shit economy.
    - Dude is a bit of a recovering neckbeard, so he's got to resist being overly clingy or an annoying sexmonkey.
    - Neither the first kiss or the first time they have sex is a "Congratulations you win at romance!" end point. They have to keep working on the relationship, and that's really what the story's about.

Seinen stories tend to be more realistic about romance.

Well, yeah, compared to shounen, but I mean... That's not exactly a high bar to set!

But it's still pretty darn bad, mostly.

Which, to be fair, is pretty true of a lot of western romances as well.

Actually come to think of it can anyone recommend any mature western comics romance stories?

I was trying to think of examples earlier, and all that occurred to me was Scott Pilgrim

Love and other drugs isn't bad

Also Anne Hathaway is naked
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    feral is so aroused by naked lesbian bus sex that he had to post it twice

when you have sex on the bus, you're also having sex with everybody that bus has had sex with

or something

the idea of a vehicle having sex with people might add a whole new meaning to 'helicopter parent'

what

no

no it doesn't, why would you say this

"bang bus"
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    "rape van"
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

"Kids, just play Cards Against Humanity for a bit. Daddy had a little too much bourbon and needs a nap."

correct

this was after the pedal party
    god damn it, it's quiet enough in my living room that i've just heard the interference in the speakers that's caused when the monitor refreshes a lot (i.e. scrolling down a webpage)

now i'll never be able to un-hear that
    eokNV.jpg
    relationships are just the F2P model where you have to shell out for relentless microtransactions to stay in the game

goddammit I was too proud of this to let it be bottom-paged

Not as bad as diablo 3

Whaaaat?
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Herbie the love bug
    vspgsp.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

The sex equals victory thing is a huge pet peeve of mine.

It's really bizarre and it bugs me too. Both Japan and the west are equally bad about it, too. Like, hooray, you've tamed the wild pussy, now the girl is yours, nothing else to see here, story over?

It's not like it isn't a step in the relationship, or that sex isn't an important part of the relationship, but it's just a part, it's not the culmination

Yeah. And for me, a big part of it is that it plays into the idea that relationships are only for sex, and serve no other purpose. It's an idea I hate, so of course it bugs me when stuff plays into it.

Incidentally, I wonder if this idea is part of what plays into all the dumb myths about polyamory.
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Oh hey season 3 of Bob's Burgers is on Hulu.

Enough of this British fucker whinging about video games.
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    I only really gamble occasionally, and invariably on long shots that I don't think are nearly as long as the bookies do.

Then again I put money on Frank Schleck finishing in the places in the 2012 TdF.

That's a good way to reduce what you give away. Pinnacle is an awesome resource for any serious overseas bettor, another thing I'm jealous of, but I heard they're in a bad spot right now. I just read the newest book by James Quinn which was pretty good, and sets out the basics of setting a line in races.. I've given up on any other sport, as it's the handicapping that attracted me to this and not the horses.. The fact I like animals is just kinda a bonus. I mainly decided to try it out seriously once online poker became defunct in the US.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of gambling in and of itself. I'll bet on events that I'm interested in anyway just to add something and also for the satisfaction of (occasionally) being right.

Plus, as you say, if you only bet when you think the bookie has it wrong you place fewer bets, and those you win have bigger payouts.

Biggest "kicking myself" moment recently was Gerald Ciolek winning Milan-San Remo when Paddy Power was giving 175 to 1.

Yea, the urge to berate oneself over those iffy long shot that turn into sure things is the gamblers demon. It's als where most e profit for sharps come from. There's a e'ry important concept to all gambling (and can be used even more broadly) called the horse race concept. If you can get a grasp on that, you'll be a fairly successful punter, even if math isn't your strongest suit.

The thing was that it wasn't that iffy. It's a sprinter's race, and he's genuinely fast, once considered a contemporary of Mark Cavendish or Matt Goss when they were juniors. But they signed to WorldTour Teams and he signed to an African Pro Continental team and dropped off the radar.

Judged on pure form rather than the fact that he rides for a minor team that got a wildcard entry the odds should have been a lot shorter, but everyone was wrapped up in it being a three-way fight between more established names.

Won't get a chance like that again for a while.

Yea, those moments of clarity and insight are bread and butter for a handicapper. The over utilization of computer analysis has also opened some interesting arbitrage openers occasionally too. You can make good money by just scalping sites off donbest or surlines if you're patient enough (and a little lucky). Like I aid, though, only horses for me now. Gonna try and follow the entire season instead of just the American triple crown.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    shalmelo wrote: »

correct

this was after the pedal party

I would have guessed as much because of the headband, but I now just sort of assume that you're always wearing it. Good practice for Portland.
    shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    _J_ wrote: »

Not as bad as diablo 3

Whaaaat?

I guess some people could clear act 4 inferno naked

Bt for me I put in like forty hours and never found a single gear upgrade from even the cheapest ah gear
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    what on earth could possibly be more important than sex
    Per3th.jpg
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

Sex is the competition. Orgasm is the victory.

Word. Preferably multiple times.
    Also, you never win if you don't play.

Word. Don't be a player hater yo.
    Also, lol tryhards.

Scrub tier 2/10 would not truck.
    Also, relationships are just the F2P model where you have to shell out for relentless microtransactions to stay in the game

Your black cards can make you money so you hide them when you're able.
    In the land of milk and honey you must put them on the table.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Planteside 2 is the best f2p game.
    vspgsp.jpg
    "wienermobile"
    eokNV.jpg
    Elendil wrote: »
    what on earth could possibly be more important than sex

Advancing engineering until sex bots are a thing
    "rape van"

fuck truck

puss bus (say it like you're french obv)

It's really bizarre and it bugs me too. Both Japan and the west are equally bad about it, too. Like, hooray, you've tamed the wild pussy, now the girl is yours, nothing else to see here, story over?

It's not like it isn't a step in the relationship, or that sex isn't an important part of the relationship, but it's just a part, it's not the culmination

Yeah. And for me, a big part of it is that it plays into the idea that relationships are only for sex, and serve no other purpose. It's an idea I hate, so of course it bugs me when stuff plays into it.

Incidentally, I wonder if this idea is part of what plays into all the dumb myths about polyamory.

Relationships are also for...um...I guess having someone else with whom you pool your economic resources.

And someone to save your place in line when you're waiting for a movie and have to use the bathroom.

...hrm...there are likely some other things...

Not as bad as diablo 3

Whaaaat?

I guess some people could clear act 4 inferno naked

Bt for me I put in like forty hours and never found a single gear upgrade from even the cheapest ah gear

Did you play for longer than the first month?
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    "rape van"

fuck truck

puss bus (say it like you're french obv)
    shaggin' wagon
    Per3th.jpg

Relationships are also for...um...I guess having someone else with whom you pool your economic resources.

And someone to save your place in line when you're waiting for a movie and have to use the bathroom.

...hrm...there are likely some other things...

beep

boop
    eokNV.jpg
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    monster fuck rally
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    I liked the F2P in Tribes Ascend. It didn't really get in my way.
  • JeanJean Northern Alberta , CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    When I'm feeling drunk and emotional, I listen to 2 types of music

1) Old french music (1970s-1990s)
    2) Le roi Lion!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkyDt1LlhSI

C'est l'histoire de la vieeeeeeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X11lU1YbHpY

holy shit! I had never seen that clip before.... how fucking CREEPY

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    monster fuck rally

torrenting this right now
This discussion has been closed.