Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• MimMim Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    omg seriously you guys living outside of my parents' place is the tits and i am soo much happier

i was just marvelling over how resistant i was to it

but it is THA BES

@hakkekage

Get on dis woman's level.

@Kagera

I'm actually tired of hearing this. Not even being funny anymore. It isn't helping :(

Don't be sad Hakks! You'll get all you want one day soon!

I'm an injured ex-Navy recruit who has been denied unemployment and my dad likes to tell me to move out all the time (Even though he begged me to not move out at one point).

but I know things will get better! And they will for you too!
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    Planet side 2 has the worst free to play model

You literally buy power
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Planteside 2 is the best f2p game.

Nah all F2P games have their issues related to the inherent contradictions of needing to make money off a free to play game and what that does to the availability of resources, cosmetic stuff, game changing items, etc, over time. Planetside 2, League of Legends and Team Fortress 2 are the better examples, but none of them is the best because even they have issues.

PS2 for example has a pretty reasonable setup for cosmetics and exp gains, but the game itself has a never ending stream of balance issues, server stability, bugs and repetitive gameplay that make a lot of that pretty pointless after the initial rush of playing in a massive laser battle wears off. It needs to shore up it's core strengths with better moment to moment experiences, specifically by spicing up what you actually do base capping and defense wise, adding more mission types and objectives for you and your empire to complete, as well as more variety in weapons, vehicles, aircraft, etc, to make the money you put in more valuable long term. Stuff SOE is doing but slowly.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    David Milch is such a degenerate. That should give all you aspiring artists hope.
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

I am unhappy I can't buy certs with real money.

You r pay2win babby

Also you can buy boosts which are as good as certs really

MEH I want to put in money and receive a scope, instead of playing the game without the proper equipment on my damn gun. Also the upgrade for the thing so people can spawn and give me XP.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    some bartenders legit enjoy making elaborate or laborious drinks. at the places you'd order one presumably the person is enthusiastic about mixology and it's not just a chore for them.

still i'd tip well after ordering something like that.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i don't even know if the RGFs I've made were done proper

i need to order one at a legit cocktail bar
    I hate leveling up in FPS games

hate it so much
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Finished reading that Gamasutra article.

It's interesting, but he went completely off the rails by the time he reached War Inc.

Also, anecdotally at least, his comments about premium ammo in WoT doesn't match up to what I hear from the people I know that play competitively.

we are talking about the one about Supremacy Goods right?

I think he is a little kinder to WoT than that game deserves but is basically right. They have some problems with matchmaking and the prevalence of premium ammo but they are doing better than most FTP games.

And I'm not sure what you mean by him going "off the rails". He was looking at the claims the makers of War Inc and comparing them to the actual amount of money the game was making. And showed some problems with their UI that might be a factor.

I think his argument that the way the game presents its O4P model does indeed contribute to the perception that it is a "pay to win" style game is correct.

Mostly that his observations about the gun packs aren't substantiated by his article (I haven't played the game, so it might be true) because most games that I'm aware off, those guns tend to be different, not straight-up more powerful.

He even mentioned having something like that earlier in the article as a good thing.

Then there's this part:
    Right now War Inc., if played for a full month, is bringing in about $12 per user. That's not an increase; it's a decrease of 80 percent vs. a flat $60 fee. If microtransactions perform better than retail purchases with subscriptions (the popular consensus), then this should not be happening.

Is only true if people play less than 5 months assuming everything else stays the same, which it probably won't but he didn't provide numbers, so I don't understand his conclusion.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    I hate leveling up

hate it so much

I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    I'm going to try to keep in mind that Adele is a music artist and I'm trying to be a comic artist so I shouldn't compare myself to her.

I already have enough depressing examples as is in the comic industry!

8D

this is the face of person on the edge of insanity
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    If I ordered a Ramos Gin Fizz, that bartender is getting a $5 per drink.

Chat with the bartender and see if they like making fancy drinks

Or order it on a slow day, like a weekday early dinner thing

Don't shout it at some beleaguered sweaty man behind the counter at happy hour, no

I typically go to nice cocktail bars, but still. Dat drink is obnoxious.

ehhhh it's not that bad

order one! don't be a pussy!

EVERYONE'S WATCHING YOU

Egg whites 6 other ingredients, vigorously shaken and then stirred?
    Pitb
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Feral wrote: »
    I hate leveling up

hate it so much

Well yes, but I hate it even more in FPS games
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Just finished reading a manga called Sekitou Elegy. It's a really nice antidote to all the bullshit that usually drives me crazy about romance stories.

- they're not teenagers! Or even students! They meet working as flaggers at a construction site
    - the girl isn't some delicate flower with no personal history or desires. She works part time at a small fabrication shop, and she's trying to get a license as a commercial truck driver.
    - Neither the guy nor the girl are the prettiest people in the story. They're both just kind of above average-ish.
    - They have realistic problems: his widowed mom's not really that nice a person, the girlfriend totally has anger issues, they're both unskilled labor in a shit economy.
    - Dude is a bit of a recovering neckbeard, so he's got to resist being overly clingy or an annoying sexmonkey.
    - Neither the first kiss or the first time they have sex is a "Congratulations you win at romance!" end point. They have to keep working on the relationship, and that's really what the story's about.

The sex equals victory thing is a huge pet peeve of mine.

It's really bizarre and it bugs me too. Both Japan and the west are equally bad about it, too. Like, hooray, you've tamed the wild pussy, now the girl is yours, nothing else to see here, story over?

It's not like it isn't a step in the relationship, or that sex isn't an important part of the relationship, but it's just a part, it's not the culmination

Yeah. And for me, a big part of it is that it plays into the idea that relationships are only for sex, and serve no other purpose. It's an idea I hate, so of course it bugs me when stuff plays into it.

Incidentally, I wonder if this idea is part of what plays into all the dumb myths about polyamory.

One reason I really loved Nodame Cantabile (besides all the classical music) was sex was almost completely removed from their growing relationship/romance.

Which granted the two characters in that series are both very odd and even the other characters in the story are all sorts of confused about exactly what's going on between them. But I like stories about relationships between people that aren't cookie-cutter standard romantic leads, otherwise there's not really much point in reading it!

Eventually they start having sex, and the reader only finds out about it long after the fact, and it's pretty much a non-factor in their actual romantic partnership.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

You literally buy power

This is the opposite of true.

All of the guns are side-grades (at least overtly, some of them are side-grades you'd seldom ever be in a situation where you'd want the alternative, but thems the breaks), and there is absolutely nothing you can't get with certs that you can only get with SC that isn't straight cosmetic.

vspgsp.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    I'm going to try to keep in mind that Adele is a music artist and I'm trying to be a comic artist so I shouldn't compare myself to her.

8===D

I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    FPS games were pure God damnit. The furthest I'd go is Counterstrike where you got cash and bought guns. That was fine.

BUT NO NOW WE HAVE TO LEVEL UP AND UNLOCK SHIT FUCK YOU AMERICA
    I feel like I am literally going to die if I do not drink a dr. pepper or a coke right now.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    adele is not great but some of her songs are not terrible
    Per3th.jpg
    Geth, I'm not dying or suicidal! No need to track me!
    edited May 2013

You r pay2win babby

MEH I want to put in money and receive a scope, instead of playing the game without the proper equipment on my damn gun. Also the upgrade for the thing so people can spawn and give me XP.

Both of these cost baby certs to get! (30 certs and 50 certs, respectively)

For reference, play during an alert, every alert I've gotten at least 350 certs over the course of it. (they're 2 hours)
    Winky on
    vspgsp.jpg

You literally buy power

All of the guns are side-grades (at least overtly, some of them are side-grades you'd seldom ever be in a situation where you'd want the alternative, but thems the breaks), and there is absolutely nothing you can't get with certs that you can only get with SC that isn't straight cosmetic.

i am very suspicious of the concept of "side-grades"

very suspicious indeed

You r pay2win babby

But I want them immediately because the game sucks without them.
    edited May 2013
    i love leveling
    disgaeamajin.jpg
    Elendil on
    Per3th.jpg

You literally buy power

So I can start the game and compete in dogfights with pilots who have bought all the things on their jetplanecopter?
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

You literally buy power

Not really. I mean you can, but you can also earn it.

Doesn't make it different from BF3 or CODs unlock system.

The only thing you can buy with only money is cosmetic.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

You literally buy power

Actually, if your NC, you buy slow blue nailguns, if your TR, you buy red SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM BULLETS YES, and if your Vanu, you buy more scopes to add to your already BS aim.

Not actual power, because you still need to be able to shoot, but not exactly Counter Strike.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).

You r pay2win babby

that's like in WoW where you basically didn't get your defining class power until level 10

like wtf

that's some mr miyagi "go scrub my deck before I teach you how 2 karate" bullshit right there
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    I decided to make tacos for dinner.

Because, I asked myself, "Self? What do you want to do tomorrow?" and the answer that came back was, "Shit!"
    or shit in borderlands 2

you don't get your class defining power until level 5

gee thanks for the extended tutorial

You literally buy power

very suspicious indeed

I can tell you that it's absolutely the truth when it comes to the infantry guns.

With the vehicle guns it's not quite as true. In the sense that, the default vehicle guns all blow, but all the ones you can buy are completely equivalent in power.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

8D

On the other hand at least in the comics industry you've also got 5 million examples of dudes you're way cooler than

8D

Or the face of a person who is in the 8th dimension and has their 8 dimensional ass waving in the wind in front of God. He doesn't even know what the fuck.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Finished reading that Gamasutra article.

It's interesting, but he went completely off the rails by the time he reached War Inc.

Also, anecdotally at least, his comments about premium ammo in WoT doesn't match up to what I hear from the people I know that play competitively.

we are talking about the one about Supremacy Goods right?

I think he is a little kinder to WoT than that game deserves but is basically right. They have some problems with matchmaking and the prevalence of premium ammo but they are doing better than most FTP games.

And I'm not sure what you mean by him going "off the rails". He was looking at the claims the makers of War Inc and comparing them to the actual amount of money the game was making. And showed some problems with their UI that might be a factor.

I think his argument that the way the game presents its O4P model does indeed contribute to the perception that it is a "pay to win" style game is correct.

Mostly that his observations about the gun packs aren't substantiated by his article (I haven't played the game, so it might be true) because most games that I'm aware off, those guns tend to be different, not straight-up more powerful.

He even mentioned having something like that earlier in the article as a good thing.

Then there's this part:
    Right now War Inc., if played for a full month, is bringing in about $12 per user. That's not an increase; it's a decrease of 80 percent vs. a flat $60 fee. If microtransactions perform better than retail purchases with subscriptions (the popular consensus), then this should not be happening.

Is only true if people play less than 5 months assuming everything else stays the same, which it probably won't but he didn't provide numbers, so I don't understand his conclusion.

Note the bolded.

He is showing a disparity between the popular wisdom (that F2P brings in more money per user than a subscription) and the numbers this company is posting.

But the important part about War Inc in on the next page. They are implementing their F2P model badly and, more importantly, their UI is difficult to use and gives a bad impression about the game. With UI improvements and some tweaks to their model they could make more money.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    or shit in borderlands 2

that is annoying as all motherfuck
    Per3th.jpg
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Riksadvokate Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hey @mortious you're from South Africa? Is Wolfe a big family name down there? I've been wondering how Bonafide an acquaintance of mine named Steven Wolfe was. He was a good man that passed away a few years ago, and I had a conversation about him the other day that made me wonder and google had yielded nothing.
    MadCaddy on
    League of Legends: SorryNotRly Steam: MMForYourHealth Hero Academy: MadCaddy
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    or shit in borderlands 2

i believe it was level 10 in the first game

so

they got less dumb?
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.

You literally buy power

Not really. I mean you can, but you can also earn it.

Doesn't make it different from BF3 or CODs unlock system.

The only thing you can buy with only money is cosmetic.

Well I disagree, the amount of bullshit slogging you have to do in ps2 is ridiculous with your shit gun with shit scope to get one gun on one vehicle that's locked to one character

You literally buy power

very suspicious indeed

I can tell you that it's absolutely the truth when it comes to the infantry guns.

With the vehicle guns it's not quite as true. In the sense that, the default vehicle guns all blow, but all the ones you can buy are completely equivalent in power.

I don't believe that side-grades exist.

Even if the different guns are equivalent in power, having multiple options at your disposal is itself an advantage, as well as being able to use slightly rarer options that people are less practiced against.

You r pay2win babby

This is, like, not even true.

Objectively, the game sucks without a good team. Everything else isn't as important.
    vspgsp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.