Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    as a rule i am against all f2p games

they are universally terrible because you cannot get around the inherent problems created by microtransactions

LOTRO balanced it pretty good, in my opinion. There are lots of people who do the F2P model and have fun, and lots of people who pay monthly fees because they like playing lots of characters, and enjoy getting an allotment of funbucks to spend in the cash shop on top of all the perks given to premium subscribers.

Of course, for every one good F2P game, there are like 50 terrible ones. I don't think its a great model all told, even if a few people accidentally stumble onto a game where it works here and there.
    meat.jpg
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    has jack glassed someone for liking the wrong soccer team yet
    919UOwT.png
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Basically getting someone else to pay for my subs is awesome.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    adele is not great but some of her songs are not terrible

Adele is totally great.

In boot camp the boys and the girls would sing her songs and rock out when the RDCs weren't watching
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i like levelling up

that satisfying ding and flash animation and oh look i can do new things now yay

how can someone not like levelling up

I like leveling up in lol because it happens every game 17 times

I wish an mmo could figure out how to steal that for pvp
    override367 on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Good evening, gentlements.

(and ladiers as wells)

Whatever shall i do tonight?

Perhaps i should...

work on my cardgame?

*waggles eyebrows suggestively*

You stole Narwhal's fickle internet affections from me with your French Canadian charms and for that you must pay.

In blood.

Or bitcoins. Your choice.

Ah ben calisse... I guess i'll have to win you over with my charms as well, then! *Waggles eyebrows frenchly*
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    what on earth could possibly be more important than sex

Love. It's stronger then gravity, hurts like a bitch and you will die for it and die a slow death without it.

It's taken me a while to realize my sex drive just isn't that high, and that this is an ok thing!

mine has changed significantly over time

when I was 20 I wanted to fuck again a few hours after sex

now, a couple times a week is plenty

See I am more like, once a week is enough.

It's only really unbearable when I know I can't. As opposed to, could but don't want to.

I think it is good for men to say these kinds of things because the narrative is always man wants sex constantly always ready

fff patriarchy

I haven't had sex in several months and I couldn't care less.
    Feck, shite, feck, shite, feck, shite, arse!
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular

they are universally terrible because you cannot get around the inherent problems created by microtransactions

microtransactions seem to work fine in lol
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    OMG RMS that second pic is Irish as fuck.

Funny, I pictured it as North of England. Hence the ay up. Irish works too though!
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    after their big FTP cleanup / change to the newbie experience around Christmas I quite like MechWarrior Online.

You spend 5-10 minutes in a match. Wait times are nonexistent. There is no boring running up from a spawn point for 10 minutes only to be sniped by someone you never saw who has more certs.

I thought it was fine. The trial mechs are fun to use and I got pretty close to buying a real mech, and this was before the overhaul, after not too long playing.

Yeah. Though without paying any cash at all that initial slog to a mech was pretty bad at first. with the overhaul your first 25 matches give extra money so that you are guaranteed to have enough to buy almost any mech in the game.

They've also done a good job of releasing variants that are real-money only without making them unbalanced. They have the same tonnage / space restrictions just different hardpoints. One of them is maybe a tiny bit too good (the Illya) but that's debatable. So far all of the "OMG OP" mechs have been normal ones (the K2 Catapult and the Splatcat especially)
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Just finished reading a manga called Sekitou Elegy. It's a really nice antidote to all the bullshit that usually drives me crazy about romance stories.

- they're not teenagers! Or even students! They meet working as flaggers at a construction site
    - the girl isn't some delicate flower with no personal history or desires. She works part time at a small fabrication shop, and she's trying to get a license as a commercial truck driver.
    - Neither the guy nor the girl are the prettiest people in the story. They're both just kind of above average-ish.
    - They have realistic problems: his widowed mom's not really that nice a person, the girlfriend totally has anger issues, they're both unskilled labor in a shit economy.
    - Dude is a bit of a recovering neckbeard, so he's got to resist being overly clingy or an annoying sexmonkey.
    - Neither the first kiss or the first time they have sex is a "Congratulations you win at romance!" end point. They have to keep working on the relationship, and that's really what the story's about.

The sex equals victory thing is a huge pet peeve of mine.

It's really bizarre and it bugs me too. Both Japan and the west are equally bad about it, too. Like, hooray, you've tamed the wild pussy, now the girl is yours, nothing else to see here, story over?

It's not like it isn't a step in the relationship, or that sex isn't an important part of the relationship, but it's just a part, it's not the culmination

Yeah. And for me, a big part of it is that it plays into the idea that relationships are only for sex, and serve no other purpose. It's an idea I hate, so of course it bugs me when stuff plays into it.

Incidentally, I wonder if this idea is part of what plays into all the dumb myths about polyamory.

One reason I really loved Nodame Cantabile (besides all the classical music) was sex was almost completely removed from their growing relationship/romance.

Which granted the two characters in that series are both very odd and even the other characters in the story are all sorts of confused about exactly what's going on between them. But I like stories about relationships between people that aren't cookie-cutter standard romantic leads, otherwise there's not really much point in reading it!

Eventually they start having sex, and the reader only finds out about it long after the fact, and it's pretty much a non-factor in their actual romantic partnership.
    Just finished reading a manga called Sekitou Elegy. It's a really nice antidote to all the bullshit that usually drives me crazy about romance stories.

- they're not teenagers! Or even students! They meet working as flaggers at a construction site
    - the girl isn't some delicate flower with no personal history or desires. She works part time at a small fabrication shop, and she's trying to get a license as a commercial truck driver.
    - Neither the guy nor the girl are the prettiest people in the story. They're both just kind of above average-ish.
    - They have realistic problems: his widowed mom's not really that nice a person, the girlfriend totally has anger issues, they're both unskilled labor in a shit economy.
    - Dude is a bit of a recovering neckbeard, so he's got to resist being overly clingy or an annoying sexmonkey.
    - Neither the first kiss or the first time they have sex is a "Congratulations you win at romance!" end point. They have to keep working on the relationship, and that's really what the story's about.

The sex equals victory thing is a huge pet peeve of mine.

It's really bizarre and it bugs me too. Both Japan and the west are equally bad about it, too. Like, hooray, you've tamed the wild pussy, now the girl is yours, nothing else to see here, story over?

It's not like it isn't a step in the relationship, or that sex isn't an important part of the relationship, but it's just a part, it's not the culmination

Yeah. And for me, a big part of it is that it plays into the idea that relationships are only for sex, and serve no other purpose. It's an idea I hate, so of course it bugs me when stuff plays into it.

Incidentally, I wonder if this idea is part of what plays into all the dumb myths about polyamory.

One reason I really loved Nodame Cantabile (besides all the classical music) was sex was almost completely removed from their growing relationship/romance.

Which granted the two characters in that series are both very odd and even the other characters in the story are all sorts of confused about exactly what's going on between them. But I like stories about relationships between people that aren't cookie-cutter standard romantic leads, otherwise there's not really much point in reading it!

Eventually they start having sex, and the reader only finds out about it long after the fact, and it's pretty much a non-factor in their actual romantic partnership.

Hmm. Subscribing to this newsletter.

Wait you mean you're not already subscribed???
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    i like levelling up

that satisfying ding and flash animation and oh look i can do new things now yay

Building a video game character is a creative process for me. The talents and skills are like little Lego pieces and I'm looking for ways to put them together.

Locking them up behind a level is a little bit like saying, "Oh, you don't deserve wheels yet. Build 500 more houses and then you'll get wheels.

Oh, and satellite dishes? Pfft, maybe sometime next month."
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    I haven't had sex in years but I'm game any time

But we have to discuss the battle star galactica ending first
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

LOTRO balanced it pretty good, in my opinion. There are lots of people who do the F2P model and have fun, and lots of people who pay monthly fees because they like playing lots of characters, and enjoy getting an allotment of funbucks to spend in the cash shop on top of all the perks given to premium subscribers.

Of course, for every one good F2P game, there are like 50 terrible ones. I don't think its a great model all told, even if a few people accidentally stumble onto a game where it works here and there.

yeah, LOTRO did a good job with it.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Planteside 2 is the best f2p game.

I am unhappy I can't buy certs with real money.

You r pay2win babby

Also you can buy boosts which are as good as certs really

MEH I want to put in money and receive a scope, instead of playing the game without the proper equipment on my damn gun. Also the upgrade for the thing so people can spawn and give me XP.

Both of these cost baby certs to get! (30 certs and 50 certs, respectively)

But I want them immediately because the game sucks without them.

This is, like, not even true.

Objectively, the game sucks without a good team. Everything else isn't as important.

If I hate shooting my gun because I have to contend with shitty iron sights then the game sucks, because it's a first person shooter, and shooting is important! And because certs are so important a noob like me needs a good way of getting XP and having people spawn in your truck is that way, but I can't do it immediately. So the beginning of the game is about terrible shooting and slower than needed leveling.

I seriously don't know what you're on about the scopes.

Like, I never had this problem you seem to have with the ironsights.

I couldn't see anything with the damn iron sights. Add to that the terrible way the gun feels when you're moving it around (I had to fuck with the settings a ton before that felt good enough) and I did not enjoy shooting. Putting the 4x scope alleviated my issues enough that I could enjoy it.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    i like levelling up

Because it's fake and makes you a mouse that's being conditioned by a neckbeard scientist.

Sarksus is someone who likes his games all up front and accessible while still having a lot of depth and room to explore and learn, which is good.

His opinion is however subjective and there are those of us who do, in fact, genuinely enjoy leveling and accruing power in a quantifiable fashion as well, and these games are not all evil mouse chasing cheese scenarios. Leveling exists because it works, and it like any other kind of game mechanic or structure, can be done good or bad.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    has jack glassed someone for liking the wrong soccer team yet

He gurgled when his Dad's team scored. He (the dad) has interpreted this as the first bond towards a team needed to desire to glass someone.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Seinen stories tend to be more realistic about romance.

Well, yeah, compared to shounen, but I mean... That's not exactly a high bar to set!

But it's still pretty darn bad, mostly.

Which, to be fair, is pretty true of a lot of western romances as well.

Actually come to think of it can anyone recommend any mature western comics romance stories?

I was trying to think of examples earlier, and all that occurred to me was Scott Pilgrim

Strangers in Paradise comes to mind.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    i mad
    Mim, you said you wanted to be a comic artist now?

Can I see your work? :)
    Chanus wrote: »
    OMG RMS that second pic is Irish as fuck.

Funny, I pictured it as North of England. Hence the ay up. Irish works too though!

I suppose anywhere he can walk along a cobbled road with thatch-roofed houses on a dreary day, tipping his cap to all the ladies.
    Chanus take my quote out of your signature anyway. It's out of context and makes people think I'm afraid or hate vaginas!

microtransactions seem to work fine in lol

Lol is good because you want to get good at all kinds of champs and the free ones could literally be any champ in a given week
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Queen Latifa, give me strength!
    i like levelling up

Because it's fake and makes you a mouse that's being conditioned by a neckbeard scientist.

Sarksus is someone who likes his games all up front and accessible while still having a lot of depth and room to explore and learn, which is good.

His opinion is however subjective and there are those of us who do, in fact, genuinely enjoy leveling and accruing power in a quantifiable fashion as well, and these games are not all evil mouse chasing cheese scenarios. Leveling exists because it works, and it like any other kind of game mechanic or structure, can be done good or bad.

If I was president I would put these people who like leveling in prison.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    I'm going to try to keep in mind that Adele is a music artist and I'm trying to be a comic artist so I shouldn't compare myself to her.

I already have enough depressing examples as is in the comic industry!

8D

this is the face of person on the edge of insanity

On the other hand at least in the comics industry you've also got 5 million examples of dudes you're way cooler than

I was hoping you'd say examples of people older than me starting out and doing a good job.
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    the earned income tax credit is absolutely public assistance holy shit
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    When I'm feeling drunk and emotional, I listen to 2 types of music

1) Old french music (1970s-1990s)
    2) Le roi Lion!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkyDt1LlhSI

C'est l'histoire de la vieeeeeeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X11lU1YbHpY

holy shit! I had never seen that clip before.... how fucking CREEPY

The hunchback villain is like fuck me or I kill u

He's A ballsy villain for disney

Hellfire is the King of Disney Villain Songs.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    i mad

y mad
    I happily leveled 3 toons in gw2 but was bored by the endgame

Weiiird
    i mad

y mad

i mad about videogames
    tyrannus wrote: »
    the earned income tax credit is absolutely public assistance holy shit

Wait, wut?

Did someone say it isn't?
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

i played through f2p lotro. if i remember correctly, you stopped levelling at like, 20 or so? or did you lose the ability to take quests?

i dunno, i quit after i got to that point. which while the game's f2p-ness was non intrusive, and was indeed f2p (or rather, an extended trial period) it failed to get me over that hurdle where i decided i wanted to spend money on that stuff and keep playing the game - which is perfectly fine - but being that the purpose of the game is to get people to spend money on it, in that regard it failed i suppose.

i think that the only way f2p can really work is in that type of model where you are paying for content beyond a certain point (like lotro!). ie each new area and a set of levels are an extra $5. anything that ties abilities or items or whatever to money is inevitably pay-to-win even if developers dance around saying it isn't.
    919UOwT.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

(and ladiers as wells)

Perhaps i should...

work on my cardgame?

You stole Narwhal's fickle internet affections from me with your French Canadian charms and for that you must pay.

In blood.

Ah ben calisse... I guess i'll have to win you over with my charms as well, then! *Waggles eyebrows frenchly*

Right. Between. The. Eyes.

TF2SniperBoomHeadshot.gif
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    Man...

Ubisoft does not fuck around with people who jump ship.

Makes me think twice about wanting to work for them, honestly...
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    @21stCentury @Corehealer

Gentlemen, please, don't fight! There's plenty of my affection for both of you!

But not for a single person south of the border. ಠ_ಠ

#NationalAnthemCurrentlyPlayingOnTV #FeelingExtraPatrioticRightNow
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular

Seinen stories tend to be more realistic about romance.

Well, yeah, compared to shounen, but I mean... That's not exactly a high bar to set!

But it's still pretty darn bad, mostly.

Which, to be fair, is pretty true of a lot of western romances as well.

Actually come to think of it can anyone recommend any mature western comics romance stories?

I was trying to think of examples earlier, and all that occurred to me was Scott Pilgrim

Strangers in Paradise comes to mind.

Strangers in Paradise isn't a romance...
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    edited May 2013
    Feral wrote: »
    When I'm feeling drunk and emotional, I listen to 2 types of music

1) Old french music (1970s-1990s)
    2) Le roi Lion!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkyDt1LlhSI

C'est l'histoire de la vieeeeeeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X11lU1YbHpY

holy shit! I had never seen that clip before.... how fucking CREEPY

The hunchback villain is like fuck me or I kill u

He's A ballsy villain for disney

Hellfire is the King of Disney Villain Songs.
    Its really a fair bit more rapey than your standard cartoon villain thesis

And probably pretty representative of old timey religious dudes who had absolute power
    override367 on

(and ladiers as wells)

Perhaps i should...

work on my cardgame?

In blood.

Right. Between. The. Eyes.

TF2SniperBoomHeadshot.gif

*Waggles eyebrows... Canadianly?*
  • VariableVariable Stroke Me Lady Fame Registered User regular
    i like levelling up

um how did you get no agrees on this

it's the most true thing
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
    i like levelling up

If I was president I would put these people who like leveling in prison.

I'll never stop loving you, Sarksus, or occasionally disagreeing with your views on video game mechanics, or calling you S'karsus the Tzeentchen Lord of Change.
This discussion has been closed.